NATION

PASSWORD

Best Modern Animation Studio

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Which Animated Studio has been the best since 2000?

Studio Ghibli
56%
Pixar
28%
Disney
6%
Dreamworks
No votes
Blue Sky
No votes
Other
11%

Total votes : 18

United Gordonopia
Senator

Founded: Aug 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

Best Modern Animation Studio

Postby United Gordonopia » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:49 am

Animation is one of the preeminent forms of film, despite the fact that it is often dismissed as kid's fair. Regardless of how many see it, animation provides the template for many of the most dynamic pieces of cinema both today and in years past. Animation studios have come and gone, but I would like to ask NS what they believe is the best studio operating today. Although many great studios have created masterpieces in the past, I would like you to only consider works since 2000.

The poll options are those that are commonly cited as being great studios, though some are perhaps past their prime. Feel free, though, to put in your own nominee and explain why below.

Studio Ghibli - Spirited Away, The Cat Returns, Howl's Moving Castle, Tales from Earthsea, Ponyo, The Secret World of Arrietty, From up on Poppy Hill

Pixar - Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, Toy Story 3, Cars 2

Disney - Dinosaur, The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Lilo & Stich, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Winnie the Pooh

Dreamworks - The Road to El Dorado, Chicken Run, Shrek, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, Shrek 2, Shark Tale, Madagascar, Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Ware-Rabbit, Over the Hedge, Flushed Away, Shrek the Third, Bee Movie, Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, Monsters vs Aliens, How to Train Your Dragon, Shrek Forever After, Megamind, Kung Fu Panda 2, Puss in Boots

Blue Sky Studios - Ice Age, Robots, Ice Age: The Meltdown, Horton Hears a Who!, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, Rio
If you ever have an RPing question, please TG me about it.
Also Known as Kazmr

Host: Baptism of Fire 51, 53
Third Place: Cup of Harmony 56
Semi-Finalist: World Cup 63

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:58 am

United Gordonopia wrote:Animation is one of the preeminent forms of film, despite the fact that it is often dismissed as kid's fair. Regardless of how many see it, animation provides the template for many of the most dynamic pieces of cinema both today and in years past. Animation studios have come and gone, but I would like to ask NS what they believe is the best studio operating today. Although many great studios have created masterpieces in the past, I would like you to only consider works since 2000.

The poll options are those that are commonly cited as being great studios, though some are perhaps past their prime. Feel free, though, to put in your own nominee and explain why below.

Studio Ghibli - Spirited Away, The Cat Returns, Howl's Moving Castle, Tales from Earthsea, Ponyo, The Secret World of Arrietty, From up on Poppy Hill

Pixar - Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, Toy Story 3, Cars 2

Disney - Dinosaur, The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Lilo & Stich, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Winnie the Pooh

Dreamworks - The Road to El Dorado, Chicken Run, Shrek, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, Shrek 2, Shark Tale, Madagascar, Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Ware-Rabbit, Over the Hedge, Flushed Away, Shrek the Third, Bee Movie, Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, Monsters vs Aliens, How to Train Your Dragon, Shrek Forever After, Megamind, Kung Fu Panda 2, Puss in Boots

Blue Sky Studios - Ice Age, Robots, Ice Age: The Meltdown, Horton Hears a Who!, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, Rio

I went with Pixar. I have at least seen most of theirs, although I have seen all of the Blue Sky Studios ones, and liked all the ones I have seen (except for Wall-E which was pretty boring). This is also despite Flushed Away being one of the better films in this list.

ON another note. Would you include partially animated films/tv series like The Wot Wots?
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

United Gordonopia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Gordonopia » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:05 am

Forsher wrote:ON another note. Would you include partially animated films/tv series like The Wot Wots?

Feel free to include whatever you think of. I didn't think of tv :p though I'm not sure about partially animated, as one could even make a case for something like Avatar (not last airbender) to fall into that category.
Also Known as Kazmr

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:08 am

i'm not that much of a fallower of big name studios. not against them. not saying they're no ok.
what i love to see though, is nonprofessionals doing creative things with inexpensive, or free, animation software, like blender and some of the others.
i'd rather watch this stuff, then most of what ends up on tv or in the movies.
again not to dis, that there's some pretty good that shows up there too.

maybe i'm just a cheap bastard. i'm sure that's part of it. but professionalism too frequently demands trading origeonality for polishedness.
and while polishedness might be a reasonable goal for even the lowlyest of rank beginners, it just isn't as important or worth it to me, as what i actually find interest in.

dreamworks and gibli both do wonderful work. i'm sure the rest of them do at least some, if not most, of the time, as well.
so i really can't give you a favorite there.
only that the unheard of is almost always my more favored then the most popular.

sheep in the island, and pigeon impossible are a couple of examples of the kind of work i'm talking about.
and of course the blender project movies of elephant's dream, big buck bunny, and sintel.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:13 am

United Gordonopia wrote:
Forsher wrote:ON another note. Would you include partially animated films/tv series like The Wot Wots?

Feel free to include whatever you think of. I didn't think of tv :p though I'm not sure about partially animated, as one could even make a case for something like Avatar (not last airbender) to fall into that category.

Okay. Based purely on the quality of Dotty-Wot and Spoitty-Wot I say Weta did a pretty good job. But I wouldn't call them a studio, so I'll stick with Pixar.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

West Failure
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby West Failure » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:46 am

Studio Ghibli then Pixar.
Yootwopia wrote:
Folder Land wrote:But why do religious conservatives have more power in the States but not so much power in the UK that still has a state church?

Because our country is better than yours.

United Gordonopia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Gordonopia » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Personally, I prefer Ghibli for a number of reasons. Their films seem to be so much deeper than any other major animated movies, and even the majority of independent films. Their attention to detail is just astounding, and their creativity is unparalleled. Also, when watching movies from studios like Pixar, there always seems to be that hidden thought in the movie of 'how can we merchandise this?' That's evidenced by movies like Cars 2 (the sequel to the least critically acclaimed, but most lucrative merchandised, Pixar movie), and the fact that a lot of Pixar movies seem to be 'what can we put a mouth on next'. Of course, there are several exceptions, like UP or WALL-E, but watching Ghibli films I never get that impression.
Also Known as Kazmr

Saurisisia
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisisia » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:22 pm

I'd have to say Pixar, considering how great most of their movies are and all.
Autistic, Christian, Capitalist, Libertarian
Don't wish to display my sexuality for all to see because I don't care about what sexuality someone is
Make Tea, Not Love
Proud Yankee Monarchist
DA Account
https://dragcave.net/user/Bellumsaur13
Things in our country run in spite of government, not by aid of it. - Will Rogers
This nation reflects my RL beliefs and values (for the most part, anyway)
P/MT: The United Provinces of Saurisia
FT: The Federal Systems Republic of Saurisia
MT FT Embassy
ANTHRO AND A MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

My nation's dominated by talking Dinosaurs, there is no realism (because ultra-realism is SO boring)
Dinosaurs rule!
I am Scaly and I am proud!

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Studio Deen
or
Sunrise. can't make up my mind.
Last edited by JuNii on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:37 pm

Probably Disney, as many of there films weren't ugly cgi films, and used actual animation.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:33 am

Studio Ghibli hands down. I always feel a sense of enlightenment and inspiration whenever I watch one of their movies.
Last edited by Arumdaum on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

United Gordonopia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Gordonopia » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:02 pm

Trollgaard wrote:Probably Disney, as many of there films weren't ugly cgi films, and used actual animation.

Modern Disney films are CGI though. All of their films for years have used computer animation, and recent ones have become more and more CGI-ish. Ghibli is the only major animated studio that still hand-draws, with their recent 2008 film Ponyo having a Miyazaki record 170,000 hand-drawn images.
Also Known as Kazmr

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:56 am

While I have and don't really feel like watching a Ghibli film I am not surprised that it is winning.

Cyprum Xecuii
Senator

Founded: Jan 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyprum Xecuii » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:22 am

forgot about "The Secret World of Arrietty" which is pretty darn new as well, although the states just got the movie rights even though japan made it two years ago....and I'd rather watch it with English subtitles with the actual Japanese dialogue"

Free foundation
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Free foundation » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:33 am

1.Studio Ghibli movies have best storyline and their animation work is also very good. Who can forget "grave of the fireflies". I just couldn't stop myself from crying.
2. Pixar studio has revolutionized cgi animation movies. Their stories aren't bad either.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:33 am

United Gordonopia wrote:Dreamworks - Shrek, Shrek 2, Shrek the Third, Shrek Forever After, Puss in Boots

Well they milked that for all it was worth. Honestly I haven't seen a series dragged on that long outside of video games, and perhaps James Bond films.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction