NATION

PASSWORD

Total War: Rule Britannia, literally.

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Favorite Thrones of Britannia Faction?

The Anglo-Saxons
37%
The Welsh Kingdoms
21%
The Gaels
16%
The Great Viking Army
15%
The Viking Sea Kings
11%

Total votes : 75

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:38 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Even the Romans and English need cavalry if your going to use even the most standard of Hammer and Anvil tactics.
You end up losing way more men then you need to if you can't break the enemies morale by charging them in the rear or flank with cavalry.

Not if you know how to use infantry. People tend to treat infantry like they're static, but infantry have their true strength in mobility. I play Shogun II online with no cav except my general (Who I keep well away from foolish charges) and I win 2/3s of the time.

Hmm...what exactly do you do with them?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:38 am

Genivaria wrote:Only using low-born men. Your a man after my own heart, fuck the nobles.

I've always done that in strategy games. :lol:

That's why I like playing as Milan in M2TW.

Also, in Shogun II, the standard peasant spearmen outperform the Samurai spearmen. Don't let anyone tell you different. ;)
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:39 am

Genivaria wrote:Hmm...what exactly do you do with them?

In Shogun II or in Rome?

The two game require vastly different infantry tactics for all infantry armies.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:39 am

Genivaria wrote:Even the Romans and English need cavalry if your going to use even the most standard of Hammer and Anvil tactics.
You end up losing way more men then you need to if you can't break the enemies morale by charging them in the rear or flank with cavalry.

Not if you know how to use infantry. People tend to treat infantry like they're static, but infantry have their true strength in mobility. I play Shogun II online with no cav except my general (Who I keep well away from foolish charges) and I win 2/3s of the time.

CM, do you think that hero units are "cheat"?

I had a French guy telling me that.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:39 am

Genivaria wrote:Only using low-born men. Your a man after my own heart, fuck the nobles.

I've always done that in strategy games. :lol:

That's why I like playing as Milan in M2TW.

Also, in Shogun II, the standard peasant spearmen outperform the Samurai spearmen. Don't let anyone tell you different. ;)

I've always used Venice myself, whats the difference?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:40 am

Genivaria wrote:Hmm...what exactly do you do with them?

In Shogun II or in Rome?

The two game require vastly different infantry tactics for all infantry armies.

Rome preferably, I don't have Shogun 2. But please feel free to explain that to.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:41 am

Norstal wrote:CM, do you think that hero units are "cheat"?

Nah. Hero units are pathetically weak. Now, Bow monks are cheap. :p

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:42 am

Genivaria wrote:I've always used Venice myself, whats the difference?

Genoese Crossbowmen. :D

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:43 am

Norstal wrote:CM, do you think that hero units are "cheat"?

Nah. Hero units are pathetically weak. Now, Bow monks are cheap. :p

See, that's what I thought. And although I agree with you that infantry is better, I had to chase his bow horseys all around the map.

I had to resign since I had class. Ergh, I hate douchebags like them.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:44 am

Norstal wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Nah. Hero units are pathetically weak. Now, Bow monks are cheap. :p

See, that's what I thought. And although I agree with you that infantry is better, I had to chase his bow horseys all around the map.

Thats why I always have a few fast cavalry units.
A diverse army is a strong army.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:46 am

Genivaria wrote:
Norstal wrote:See, that's what I thought. And although I agree with you that infantry is better, I had to chase his bow horseys all around the map.

Thats why I always have a few fast cavalry units.

I used a cavalry for a preliminary charge and they routed. Guess that was a bad idea.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:49 am

Genivaria wrote:Rome preferably, I don't have Shogun 2. But please feel free to explain that to.

In Rome you need to spread your forces out, form them into self-contained pockets. If you can, hide them, if not, don't worry much about it. Keep ranged units nearby, preferably artillery at a center position. If the enemy tries to pursue you with Cav, use the artillery to decimate them as your infantry pull back. Just pull their troops away from the battle if they only send infantry to pursue.

Never leave more than one unit being chased. Figure out which unit they're going after, and make sure they're wasting a unit for every one of yours that they're chasing. Keep ranged units pursuing them in turn with skirmish mode turned on. Now, the tricky part is the urge to run to the edges of the map or behind your lines. FIGHT THAT URGE. What you need to do is keep them in front of your lines and near your center position. Keep melee infantry behind your artillery to form up in front if they try to rush you. Keep the enemy in front of your artillery and in the killing zone. Keep your center guarded on the flanks with spearmen. Any frontal assault in full force, and you pull up your reserve and hit them with all of your little pockets at once, swarm and surround them.

Now, that's defensive, of course. If you're looking to go aggressive, it's much easier. Form up with three wings, a center position behind two strong flanks. Move up and engage at a distance with their ranged units. Try to outflank them from such a distance that you can lead them away from their lines entirely if they try to pursue. If they reform to stop themselves from being outflanked, rush them in the center. If they recommit their troops to fight off the center assault, hit them from behind/on the sides with both flanks at once.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:50 am

I just remembered, the reason why I do so badly is that I almost always field armies of almost nothing but infantry (non-ranged, too) and I really need cavalry to do adequately.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:51 am

Norstal wrote:See, that's what I thought. And although I agree with you that infantry is better, I had to chase his bow horseys all around the map.

Ugh, I hate people who use skirmish with bow cav. Of course, I use skirmish with Mounted Gunners, so maybe I shouldn't be talking. :lol:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:52 am

Genivaria wrote:Thats why I always have a few fast cavalry units.

Not necessarily. An army tailored to beat every kind of unit is better than an army made OF every kind of unit. ;)

My primary problems come when I can only engage the enemy over narrow fronts or MUST make an assault. Then I fall apart in Shogun II (Which is odd, because I'm normally an aggressive player in the other TW games)

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:52 am

Norstal wrote:

I used a cavalry for a preliminary charge and they routed. Guess that was a bad idea.

It depends on your army composition.
A Parthian army I send all my horse archers forward and constantly harass the enemy.
I can control their movements in this way.

In an English or Roman army I will keep my Cavalry in reserve until my infantry are defending against the enemy infantry.
Then bring your Cavalry around and hit them in the flanks. Charge, Withdraw, Charge. Repeat until the enemy breaks, then run them down.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:53 am

Ugh, I hate people who use skirmish with bow cav.

:unsure: um...

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:54 am

Not necessarily. An army tailored to beat every kind of unit is better than an army made OF every kind of unit. ;)

My primary problems come when I can only engage the enemy over narrow fronts or MUST make an assault. Then I fall apart in Shogun II (Which is odd, because I'm normally an aggressive player in the other TW games)

I'm normally defensive, always trying to bait the enemy into attacking my superior position.
On many occasions I've drawn the enemy out and crushed the army in the field where I had the advantage.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:54 am

Genivaria wrote: :unsure: um...

Not so much in previous TW games.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:56 am

Genivaria wrote:I'm normally defensive, always trying to bait the enemy into attacking my superior position.
On many occasions I've drawn the enemy out and crushed the army in the field where I had the advantage.

That's what I always do. In Shogun II, rivers are my best friends. And hills. I can't even count how many times people have tried to assault my forces on a hill THROUGH A RIVER that slows down all units when I've got:

A stationary general giving ridiculous morale bonuses

Lines of Spearmen in a pike wall

Archers to play havoc with enemy archers

Gunners that can fire by rank and are RIDICULOUSLY effective at destroying infantry AND cavalry.
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:07 am

Hey Norstal, we should play some Shogun II sometime.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:11 am

Would you say that the succeeding games are more difficult than RTW?

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:13 am

Forsher wrote:Would you say that the succeeding games are more difficult than RTW?

Not if you're good. :p

With all seriousness, the later games act as as sort of skill multiplier. If you were just good in RTW, you'll be great in Shogun II, because you have so much more control over the battlefield. If you were just okay in RTW, you'll probably be overwhelmed in Shogun II.

Empire it doesn't matter how good you are because it all comes down to lucky you are and whether or not you picked terrible units.

Medieval 2 is a little easier than RTW.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:25 am

Conserative Morality wrote:Hey Norstal, we should play some Shogun II sometime.

Was thinking the same thing. I'll play you over the weekend if you like.

Though I'm still new at it. Only won 2/4 games.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:25 am

Forsher wrote:Would you say that the succeeding games are more difficult than RTW?

Not if you're good. :p

With all seriousness, the later games act as as sort of skill multiplier. If you were just good in RTW, you'll be great in Shogun II, because you have so much more control over the battlefield. If you were just okay in RTW, you'll probably be overwhelmed in Shogun II.

Empire it doesn't matter how good you are because it all comes down to lucky you are and whether or not you picked terrible units.

Medieval 2 is a little easier than RTW.

I was never really any good at any aspect of RTW. I suppose because of the incredible difference between it and MTW (where I have conquered the world within 200 years). It si much easier.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction