NATION

PASSWORD

Best Religious/Historical Quotes?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:32 pm

New Embossia wrote:" Lead, follow, or get out of the way "

-- Thomas Paine

I'll do you one better.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine

Aethelstania
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethelstania » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:31 am

"Mr Ghandi what do you think of Western civilization ? ..."

"I think It would be a good idea" - Ghandi

"Black history is American history" - Morgan Freeman

"I'd rather be the child of Thatcher than a son of Brown" - Daveyy Boyy !!!

West Failure
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby West Failure » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:10 am

New Embossia wrote:" Lead, follow, or get out of the way "

-- Thomas Paine

Mitt Romney mangling that quote was irritating seeing as the Republicans have spent Obama's presidency getting in the way as much as possible.
Yootwopia wrote:
Folder Land wrote:But why do religious conservatives have more power in the States but not so much power in the UK that still has a state church?

Because our country is better than yours.

Bales Rant
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bales Rant » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:28 am

"He who learns must suffer
And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget
Falls drop by drop upon the heart,
And in our own despite, against our will,
Comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God
."- Aeschylus

"In his failure, the believer finds his triumph."- Kierkegaard

"The minute I heard my first love story,
I started looking for you, not knowing
how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each other all along
." - Rumi

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:07 am

"Act like a dumbsh*t and they'll treat you as an equal."
-J. R. "Bob" Dobbs

"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Naughtania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Naughtania » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:06 pm

"If Cleopatra's nose had been shorter, the whole face of the Earth would have been different."
Pascal

"Sed fugit interea fugit irreparabile tempus, singula dum capti circumvectamur amore / But meanwhile it flees: time flees irretrievably, while we wander around, prisoners of our love of detail."
Virgil

"Quis legem dat amantibus? Maior lex amor est sibi. / Who can give a law to lovers? Love is a greater law unto itself."
Boethius
Naughtania: "A Greater Law Unto Itself"
Harmony
RIP 1000 CATS
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, meet the authoritarian liberal none of you thought existed.

Continentalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Continentalia » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:21 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to determine their veracity."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Wow, what a wise man
Maybe posting in every single thread will make us wise.

Saurisisia
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisisia » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:30 pm

"I have been up to see the Congress and they do not seem to be able to do anything except to eat peanuts and chew tobacco, while my army is starving."
~ Robert E. Lee

"Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less."
~ Robert E. Lee

"I like whiskey. I always did, and that is why I never drink it."
~ Robert E. Lee

"It is good that war is so horrible, or we might grow to like it."
~ Robert E. Lee
Autistic, Christian, Capitalist, Libertarian
Don't wish to display my sexuality for all to see because I don't care about what sexuality someone is
Make Tea, Not Love
Proud Yankee Monarchist
DA Account
https://dragcave.net/user/Bellumsaur13
Things in our country run in spite of government, not by aid of it. - Will Rogers
This nation reflects my RL beliefs and values (for the most part, anyway)
P/MT: The United Provinces of Saurisia
FT: The Federal Systems Republic of Saurisia
MT FT Embassy
ANTHRO AND A MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

My nation's dominated by talking Dinosaurs, there is no realism (because ultra-realism is SO boring)
Dinosaurs rule!
I am Scaly and I am proud!

Demen 2
Minister

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Demen 2 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:46 pm

"Who am I? I'm nobody!"

-Charles Manson

"You are going to use this courtroom to kill me? I am going to fight for my life one way or another. You should let me do it with words. "

-Charles Manson

"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock and roll or Christianity. "

-John Lennon

"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent. "

-Friedrich Nietzsche

"He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery. "

"I'm an optimist, but an optimist who carries a raincoat. "

-Harold wilson
'Cause music is bigger than words and wider than pictures

Flornia
Attaché

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Flornia » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:17 pm

Draft beer, not people
- Unknown

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded.
- Richard Winters

Nuts!
- Gen. McAuliffe

Conoga
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.
So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled."

Foamy XIII
Envoy

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Foamy XIII » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:48 pm

"And may your sins find you out!"
Numbers, 32:23
"They know enough to turn your exhaust pipe into a mortar. I believe Buicks make the best mortars."
-The Quiet American (Graham Greene)

"It's the horde of Genghis Khan! We are doooooooomed!"
Merkids, AoE2

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:09 pm

Here are some gems from the book people use as a moral standard:

Where are the men which came in to thee this night? Bring them out unto us, that we may know them' (Genesis 19: 5)

I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly. Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof (Genesis 19: 7-8).
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Saurisisia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisisia » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:12 pm

"A general is just as good or just as bad as the troops under his command make him."
~ Douglas MacArthur

"And like the old soldier in that ballad, I now close my military career and just fade away, an old soldier who tried to do his duty as God gave him the sight to see that duty."
~ Douglas MacArthur

"Americans never quit."
~ Douglas MacArthur

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."
~ Douglas MacArthur
Don't wish to display my sexuality for all to see because I don't care about what sexuality someone is
Make Tea, Not Love
Proud Yankee Monarchist
DA Account
Things in our country run in spite of government, not by aid of it. - Will Rogers
MT FT Embassy

My nation's dominated by talking Dinosaurs, there is no realism (because ultra-realism is SO boring)
Dinosaurs rule!

Saurisisia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisisia » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:25 pm

"Only the dead have seen the end of war."
~ Plato
Make Tea, Not Love
Proud Yankee Monarchist
DA Account
MT FT Embassy

Dinosaurs rule!

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:00 pm

Saurisisia wrote:"Only the dead have seen the end of war."
~ Plato

He never actually said/wrote that. George Santayana, however, did.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:52 am

Aethelstania wrote:"Mr Ghandi what do you think of Western civilization ? ..."

"I think It would be a good idea" - Ghandi

Isn't it ''I look forward to it''?

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect to their elders, they no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and are tyrants over their teachers." -Socrates.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 pm

Saurisisia wrote:"A general is just as good or just as bad as the troops under his command make him."
~ Douglas MacArthur

"And like the old soldier in that ballad, I now close my military career and just fade away, an old soldier who tried to do his duty as God gave him the sight to see that duty."
~ Douglas MacArthur

"Americans never quit."
~ Douglas MacArthur

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."
~ Douglas MacArthur

"I just can't understand how such a damn fool could have gotten to be a general." ~ Dwight Eisenhower on Douglas MacArthur
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:03 pm

"If one were to say in a word what the condition of being a samurai is, its basis lies first in seriously devoting one's body and soul to his master."

Tsunetomo Yamamoto.

The Stalinist Soviets
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Stalinist Soviets » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:06 pm

I trust no one, not even myself.
- Joseph V. Stalin

Life without friends is boring, but life without enemies is even worst.
- Che ''El Che" Guevara

NewLakotah
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby NewLakotah » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:14 pm

One does not sell the land people walk on." ...
Crazy Horse, Sept. 23, 1875

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood.
George S. Patton

It is well that war is so terrible. We should grow too fond of it.
Robert E. Lee
"How smooth must be the language of the whites, when they can make right look like wrong, and wrong like right." ~~ Black Hawk, Sauk

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." ~~ Tecumseh

Free Leonard Peltier!!

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:52 pm

Triumvirate of Mars wrote:"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword has never been introduced to automatic weapons." MacArthur

MacArthur had never been introduced to the Internet. ;)

And while not a religious quote, this one of Ike's has a powerful religious image:
Dwight Eisenhower wrote:Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Greater Tezdrian
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Tezdrian » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:11 pm

You will continue to pay for your fathers' sins, O Roman, although you yourself are guiltless, until you have restored the temples and crumbling shrines of the gods and their statues, filthy with black smoke.
-Horace, Odes 3.6.1-20, 33-43
Puppetmaster for Hashemite Arabiyah

Faith Hope Charity
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Faith Hope Charity » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:17 pm

See Sig.
Je Suis Geller
Economic Right: 10.00
Social Libertarian: -6.77

People who denounce the free market and voluntary exchange, and are for control and coercion, believe they have more intelligence and superior wisdom to the masses. What's more, they believe they've been ordained to forcibly impose that wisdom on the rest of us. Of course, they have what they consider good reasons for doing so, but every tyrant that has ever existed has had what he believed were good reasons for restricting the liberty of others.
-Walter E. Williams

http://www.isidewith.com/results/426705837

Soufrika
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Soufrika » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:24 am

Jesus began to weep.
John 11:35, New Revised Standard Version

If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will come to an end; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will come to an end. For we know only in part, and we prophesy only in part; but when the complete comes, the partial will come to an end. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13, New Revised Standard Version

To cease from evil, to do good, and to purify the mind yourself: this is the teaching of all the Buddhas.
Dhammapada 14:183

I am a democrat because I believe that no man or group of men is good enough to be trusted with uncontrolled power over others. And the higher the pretensions of such power, the more dangerous I think it both to rulers and to the subjects. Hence Theocracy is the worst of all governments. If we must have a tyrant, a robber baron is far better than an Inquisitor. The baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity at some point may be sated; and since he dimly knows he is doing wrong he may possibly repent. But the Inquisitor who mistakes his own cruelty and lust of power and fear for the voice of Heaven will torment us infinitely more because he torments us with the approval of his own conscience and his better impulses appear to him as temptations.
And since Theocracy is the worst, the nearer any government approaches to Theocracy the worse it will be. A metaphysic held by the rulers with the force of a religion, is a bad sign. It forbids them, like the inquisitor, to admit any grain of truth or good in their opponents, it abrogates the ordinary rules of morality, and it gives a seemingly high, super-personal sanction to all the very ordinary human passions by which, like other men, the rulers will frequently be actuated. In a word, it forbids wholesome doubt. A political programme can never in reality be more than probably right. We never know all the facts about the present and we can only guess the future. To attach to a party programme—whose highest claim is to reasonable prudence—the sort of assent which we should reserve for demonstrable theorems, is a kind of intoxication.
C.S. Lewis

I know nothing of philosophical philanthropy. But I know what I have seen, and what I have looked in the face in this world here, where I find myself. And I tell you this, my friend, that there are people (men and women both, unfortunately) who have no good in them—none. That there are people whom it is necessary to detest without compromise. That there are people who must be dealt with as enemies of the human race. That there are people who have no human heart, and who must be crushed like savage beasts and cleared out of the way.
Charles Dickens

Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

From this observe what raging and furious people we have been these many years, in that we desired to force others to believe; the Turks with the sword, heretics with fire, the Jews with death, and thus outroot the tares by our own power, as if we were the ones who could reign over hearts and spirits, and make them pious and right, which God's Word alone must do. But by murder we separate the people from the Word, so that it cannot possibly work upon them and we bring thus, with one stroke a double murder upon ourselves, as far as it lies in our power, namely, in that we murder the body for time and the soul for eternity, and afterwards say we did God a service by our actions, and wish to merit something special in Heaven.
Martin Luther
Last edited by Soufrika on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Libertarian Agnostic
NIHIL VERUM EST, LICET OMNIA

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction