NATION

PASSWORD

General Music Discussion

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rejaina
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rejaina » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:58 pm

What's wrong with hipsters, why do people seem to hate them so much?
Pohlmania is the place for you. There is an actually world map and new Regional Issues everyday that require new Rp tactics and relation building. Join Pohlmania and you can choose a RL nation to embody (Whether it's and African nation or a European territory). Join Pohlmania Today! for the hell of it.
Pohlmanian Global

Eugene Ratings: A+
Duff & Phelps Credit Ratings: CCC

Azrael
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Rejaina wrote:What's wrong with hipsters, why do people seem to hate them so much?

I think it's the attitude that they're expected to give to common people. I've never seen anyone fit the trope exactly, though.
If nothing exists, where did this anger come from?

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Is it just me, or is the dubstep trend really annoying?
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Utopia FTW
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Utopia FTW » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:07 am

Cosumar wrote:Is it just me, or is the dubstep trend really annoying?

it's just you. But it is very repetitive. I went to a party where it was all they played and it got pretty old pretty fast.
Squeeze me tightly and I'll fart politely

Rejaina
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Rejaina » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:56 am

Utopia FTW wrote:

it's just you. But it is very repetitive. I went to a party where it was all they played and it got pretty old pretty fast.

I like it I'm a Dubstep fanatic.
Pohlmania is the place for you. There is an actually world map and new Regional Issues everyday that require new Rp tactics and relation building. Join Pohlmania and you can choose a RL nation to embody (Whether it's and African nation or a European territory). Join Pohlmania Today! for the hell of it.
Pohlmanian Global

Novaya Tselinoyarsk
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Novaya Tselinoyarsk » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:44 am

Rejaina wrote:
Utopia FTW wrote:it's just you. But it is very repetitive. I went to a party where it was all they played and it got pretty old pretty fast.

I like it I'm a Dubstep fanatic.

Do you mean Dubstep or fan of Skrillex's massive shit noises called songs type "Dubstep"?
Proletariacka Rzeczpospolita Nowy Tselinoyarsk
Proletarskaya Respubliki Novaya Tselinoyarsk

Krakosov
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Krakosov » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:46 am

its not just you.
feelings are dumb and should be hated!!!
favorite song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkPzOJbA ... re=related

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:50 am

It's pretty much non existent here~!..Well as far as I know. My social life is pretty much cremated and scattered anyway.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Oterro wrote:

It's pretty much non existent here~!..Well as far as I know. My social life is pretty much cremated and scattered anyway.

I thought the UK was the hub for dubstep...
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:20 pm

Utopia FTW wrote:

I have to agree that although it can be good sometimes, a lot of the stuff people play all the time is mostly the same overblown and annoyingly repetitive stuff over and over. Most of what's popular is what dubstep traditionalists (that is, those who listen to the underground experimental breakbeat + D&B + grime combo originally called "dubstep") refer to as "brostep": a way to make dubstep appeal to all those common club kids in the US.

North Wiedna wrote:
Oterro wrote:It's pretty much non existent here~!..Well as far as I know. My social life is pretty much cremated and scattered anyway.

I thought the UK was the hub for dubstep...

Dubstep was born there yet has pretty much remained mostly underground (with a verystrong fanbase, though). "Brostep" is the popular American approximation that often draws criticism from older dubstep fans.

Dubstep was killed before it even had a chance.
Last edited by Azrael on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rejaina
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Rejaina » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:40 pm

Novaya Tselinoyarsk wrote:
Rejaina wrote: I like it I'm a Dubstep fanatic.

Do you mean Dubstep or fan of Skrillex's massive shit noises called songs type "Dubstep"?

I listen to Mala, Loefah, Benga and Kromestar. I have some skrillex but he got old real quick.
Pohlmanian Global

Stattr
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Stattr » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Pink Floyd, Elton John. those are my two main ones that I listen too. Country, soft rock are second thing I listen too. Basically anything that has a good rhythem.
"The world is full of stupid people, get used to it."
Pasong Tirad wrote:Heresy. The earth is flat. It's evening everywhere. Stattr needs to be guillotined.

Hlad:And after that?
Ethel: She is moving in with you, you will equip a throne room for her, and bring her rose petals everyday. You shall dress in a french maid's outfit, and only speak english with a bad french accent.
Drown wrote:
The balkens wrote:Why hello fellow privileged manape.

A cordial salutations towards a fellow scholar of the mythical 'White Privilege'

I am a 100% authentic D&D nerd. I love me some Barbs <3

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:26 pm

Stattr wrote:Pink Floyd, Elton John. those are my two main ones that I listen too. Country, soft rock are second thing I listen too. Basically anything that has a good rhythem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZqZCS0rCmE
They have amazing rhythm.

Stattr
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Stattr » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:29 pm

North Wiedna wrote:
Stattr wrote:Pink Floyd, Elton John. those are my two main ones that I listen too. Country, soft rock are second thing I listen too. Basically anything that has a good rhythem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZqZCS0rCmE
They have amazing rhythm.

I don't have any headphones, plus I don't carry them on me and the library doesn't have any. Sorry Weid
Pasong Tirad wrote:Heresy. The earth is flat. It's evening everywhere. Stattr needs to be guillotined.

Ethel: She is moving in with you, you will equip a throne room for her, and bring her rose petals everyday. You shall dress in a french maid's outfit, and only speak english with a bad french accent.
Drown wrote:

A cordial salutations towards a fellow scholar of the mythical 'White Privilege'

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:37 pm

Novaya Tselinoyarsk wrote:
Rejaina wrote: I like it I'm a Dubstep fanatic.

That's Brostep, hun.

The only times I've ever heard Skrillex were through the numerous Skrillex tribute YTPMVs.

ROBOTIC-O-ROTICA
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby ROBOTIC-O-ROTICA » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:39 pm

I work at a radio station.
We play modern rock during my shift. Something called Hotmix when it is not my shift.
To be honest I find that modern rock is terrible.

It's all just wrist cutting whiners and guys who hate... Somebody who they're not identifying.
Fuck that shit.
Why do people want to hear "I'm cutting my wrist because this teenaged drama is too much." or "I HATE YOU UNIDENTIFIED ASSHOLE!"?
Also, the rap music (played during the hotmix) is all just the same 3 subjects over and over from rap artists who fail at being original and totally reinforce stereotypes.

Anyway, it's money in my pocket.
Hell, I'd play "Wub wub wub wub wub I LOVE MY TRACTOR! Wub wub wub wub" (country dubstep) if I was getting a paycheck.

Anyone else feel the same way about any of that?
Anyone else have any counter points?
ROBOTIC-O-ROTICA: Where the economy can be fixed by screwdrivers.

Man, you people will argue about anything.

Triodard and Florard
Envoy

Founded: Dec 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Triodard and Florard » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:43 pm

I really listen to everything. Except country and screamo.

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:45 pm

ROBOTIC-O-ROTICA wrote:Anyone else have any counter points?

hmm I guess I can try to argue this...
ROBOTIC-O-ROTICA wrote:To be honest I find that modern rock is terrible.

It's all just wrist cutting whiners and guys who hate... Somebody who they're not identifying.

That's a terrible generalization. There's plenty of bands writing music that's not about any of that. I'd give you a list and link samples but I wouldn't know where to start.
ROBOTIC-O-ROTICA wrote:Why do people want to hear "I'm cutting my wrist because this teenaged drama is too much." or "I HATE YOU UNIDENTIFIED ASSHOLE!"?

Because music is supposed to evoke an emotion, and that's what the band writing the songs feels.
ROBOTIC-O-ROTICA wrote:Also, the rap music (played during the hotmix) is all just the same 3 subjects over and over from rap artists who fail at being original and totally reinforce stereotypes.

Play different rap.
ROBOTIC-O-ROTICA wrote:Hell, I'd play "Wub wub wub wub wub I LOVE MY TRACTOR! Wub wub wub wub" (country dubstep) if I was getting a paycheck.

Why would you bring it up then?

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:47 pm

ROBOTIC-O-ROTICA wrote:Stuff

Radio stations are kinda awful, yo!
North Wiedna wrote:Play different rap.

Most DJ's are only allowed to choose the tracks they play from a set list.

Which is shit but yeah.
Last edited by Oterro on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:50 pm

Oterro wrote:Most DJ's are only allowed to choose the tracks they play from a set list.

Which is shit but yeah.

Ask if you can and shit you know file a petition.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:53 pm

North Wiedna wrote:Ask if you can and shit you know file a petition.

>democracy
>corporations

pick none, get up and walk out the door.

Stattr
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Stattr » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:54 pm

ROBOTIC-O-ROTICA wrote:I work at a radio station.
We play modern rock during my shift. Something called Hotmix when it is not my shift.
To be honest I find that modern rock is terrible.

Fuck that shit.
Why do people want to hear "I'm cutting my wrist because this teenaged drama is too much." or "I HATE YOU UNIDENTIFIED ASSHOLE!"?
Also, the rap music (played during the hotmix) is all just the same 3 subjects over and over from rap artists who fail at being original and totally reinforce stereotypes.

Anyway, it's money in my pocket.
Hell, I'd play "Wub wub wub wub wub I LOVE MY TRACTOR! Wub wub wub wub" (country dubstep) if I was getting a paycheck.

Anyone else feel the same way about any of that?
Anyone else have any counter points?

I don't like either. Rap is just repetitive and honestly just bad rhyming.
'shivers.'
My brother is starting to do that sooner or later he's going to regret it.

Drown wrote:

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:56 pm

Stattr wrote:I don't like either. Rap is just repetitive and honestly just bad rhyming.

repition isn't inherently bad, rhyming isn't inherently good, sweeping generalizations are inherently terrible~!
Stattr wrote:My brother is starting to do that sooner or later he's going

Take the underground hip hop scene by storm!

Stattr
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Stattr » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Oterro wrote:
Stattr wrote:I don't like either. Rap is just repetitive and honestly just bad rhyming.

repition isn't inherently bad, rhyming isn't inherently good, sweeping generalizations are inherently terrible~!
Stattr wrote:My brother is starting to do that sooner or later he's going

Take the underground hip hop scene by storm!

my repition I ment like the same phrase over and over and over for about 5min. I mean I'm in band and on occasion we have to play repetitive parts, but they last only 4 measures. Which is not that long.

what?

Drown wrote:

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Stattr wrote:my repition I ment like the same phrase over and over and over for about 5min. I mean I'm in band and on occasion we have to play repetitive parts, but they last only 4 measures. Which is not that long.

Sometimes a lot of repetition helps the music. If it switches too much it gets to antsy.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction