NATION

PASSWORD

General Music Discussion

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Out of curiosity, anybody here listen to drill?
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. - George Orwell
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato
Dear Diary, I'm Having a Little Problem
Add 3984 to my post count

My Last.fm, Spotify profile, RYM, and Essential Magmiacore
Hip hop, jazz, reggae, soul/neo-soul, R&B, and funk fan

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:34 pm

Has anyone listened to the new Alcest album (Shelter) yet?
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:39 pm

Also, related to the subject about styles that have a lot of people that sound the same, I've noticed that seems to be the case in a lot of sludge metal, death metal, black metal, and various other genres I've heard, as well, and that's why I find a lot of these genres boring from most of what I have heard in them so far. Partly that and the music isn't interesting enough.

But this is the case with a lot of stuff, really. Post-rock musically has a lot of generic, stereotypical post-rock bands that are just snoozers. I enjoyed them at first until I realized how many sounded like it. Kinda why I got bored with Dubstep, too.

Cosumar wrote:Has anyone listened to the new Alcest album (Shelter) yet?

Heard the single. Beyond that, I haven't been following it much. Thought the single was kinda weak.

Ancient Magmia wrote:Out of curiosity, anybody here listen to drill?

Don't even know what that is.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:42 pm

Corrian wrote:Also, related to the subject about styles that have a lot of people that sound the same, I've noticed that seems to be the case in a lot of sludge metal, death metal, black metal, and various other genres I've heard, as well, and that's why I find a lot of these genres boring from most of what I have heard in them so far. Partly that and the music isn't interesting enough.

That just goes to show how different people hear music so differently from each other ....because death and black metal are two of the most sonically diverse genres I've heard.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III

NEWSWIRE
Political Compass
Dallas sports

Cyyro
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyyro » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:44 pm

uwotm8
Providence and Port Hope wrote:Cyrro later!

Rikatan wrote:
Cyyro wrote:I didn't even know it could get this low..
You. You jinxed it.

The Blaatschapen wrote:The problem with congress is that it is full of politicians.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:45 pm

Cosumar wrote:That just goes to show how different people hear music so differently from each other ....because death and black metal are two of the most sonically diverse genres I've heard.

I haven't listened to much of either, so. But most of what I have heard, the vocals all practically sound the same to me with not very interesting music and it just bores me and does nothing for me.

But like I said, I haven't dug into it much.

And the death metal that I DO like is some of my favorite stuff ever, actually, especially in metal.

One of my favorite metal albums is also a black metal album.
My Last.FM and RYM

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:49 pm

Corrian wrote:Don't even know what that is.

Wikipedia wrote:Drill music (usually drill, also referred to as the drill scene or drill-hop) is a hip hop subgenre originating from young, South Side Chicago rappers and producers. The genre is one of the most prominent contemporary facets of Chicago hip hop. Drill is defined by its grim, violent lyrical content and trap-influenced beats.

Probably the most notable drill rapper is Chief Keef.
I personally have mixed feelings about, and as far as musical value...it's pretty horrible. Nevertheless because of the environment is was born out of I have an interest in it.

Was wondering if anybody else here was familiar with it...though given most of you guys's listening habits, I assume most of you aren't. :p

Cyyro wrote:uwotm8

Huh?
Last edited by Ancient Magmia on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. - George Orwell
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Corrian wrote:
Cosumar wrote:That just goes to show how different people hear music so differently from each other ....because death and black metal are two of the most sonically diverse genres I've heard.

I haven't listened to much of either, so. But most of what I have heard, the vocals all practically sound the same to me with not very interesting music and it just bores me and does nothing for me.

You probably know this...but when listening to extreme metal you really shouldn't focus on the vocals. Don't even consider them vocals, just consider them another instrument contributing to the band's overall sound. It's an acquired taste for most, but once you get more into the genres you are able to pick up all the differences that separate Death from Atheist or Gorgoroth from Mayhem that the average person probably wouldn't pick up on. To a guy whose been a fan of extreme metal for awhile now, individual death and black metal bands sounds as different from each other to me as like ... Taylor Swift and Nickelback.
World Bowl VP

NEWSWIRE
Political Compass
Dallas sports

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Ancient Magmia wrote:Probably the most notable drill rapper is Chief Keef.
I personally have mixed feelings about, and as far as musical value...it's pretty horrible. Nevertheless because of the environment is was born out of I have an interest in it.

Was wondering if anybody else here was familiar with it...though given most of you guys's listening habits, I assume most of you aren't. :p

I know I'm not :P

Though I know the name Chief Keef well. See it mentioned a fair amount.
My Last.FM and RYM

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:54 pm

Corrian wrote:I know I'm not :P

:p

Unfortunately he's one of the most overrated drill rappers out there...at least from what I've heard.
Last edited by Ancient Magmia on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:59 pm

Cosumar wrote:You probably know this...but when listening to extreme metal you really shouldn't focus on the vocals. Don't even consider them vocals, just consider them another instrument contributing to the band's overall sound. It's an acquired taste for most, but once you get more into the genres you are able to pick up all the differences that separate Death from Atheist or Gorgoroth from Mayhem that the average person probably wouldn't pick up on. To a guy whose been a fan of extreme metal for awhile now, individual death and black metal bands sounds as different from each other to me as like ... Taylor Swift and Nickelback.

The problem for me is when vocals aren't something I care for much, it can distract me from the rest of what the band is about...Like The Mars Volta. They're very good musically but half the time the vocalist gets on my nerves.

But the death metal I do like, I actually like the vocals. Gojira and Dir en Grey being the ones that come to mind. Gojira is good angry vocals and Dir en Grey's singer is just...well, nuts.

When I think of black metal Ajatarra comes to mind. Their folk metal/black metal album is my favorite and one of my favorite albums.

I've adapted to a lot of vocals and found albums to be some of my favorites ever afterwards, so I'll probably dig into both genres more over time. But I'm definitely one that likes unique, creative vocalists that push new boundaries or just sound completely different from others, or that can mix a whole bunch of styles in one, so I guess vocals that sound too close to being similar as other bands just doesn't appeal to me as much. I don't know if I'm making sense :P
My Last.FM and RYM

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:11 pm

Oh god, my sister reminded me of the existence of Hammerfall. I didn't need to remember that they existed....

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!
My Last.FM and RYM

Volmachtia
Senator

Founded: Nov 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volmachtia » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Corrian wrote:Oh god, my sister reminded me of the existence of Hammerfall. I didn't need to remember that they existed....

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

TBH their first two albums are great. Then sadly they became the buttrock of power metal, alongside Dragonforce (though they had the aid of Geetar Hero).

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Corrian wrote:
Cosumar wrote:You probably know this...but when listening to extreme metal you really shouldn't focus on the vocals. Don't even consider them vocals, just consider them another instrument contributing to the band's overall sound. It's an acquired taste for most, but once you get more into the genres you are able to pick up all the differences that separate Death from Atheist or Gorgoroth from Mayhem that the average person probably wouldn't pick up on. To a guy whose been a fan of extreme metal for awhile now, individual death and black metal bands sounds as different from each other to me as like ... Taylor Swift and Nickelback.

The problem for me is when vocals aren't something I care for much, it can distract me from the rest of what the band is about...Like The Mars Volta. They're very good musically but half the time the vocalist gets on my nerves.

But the death metal I do like, I actually like the vocals. Gojira and Dir en Grey being the ones that come to mind. Gojira is good angry vocals and Dir en Grey's singer is just...well, nuts.

When I think of black metal Ajatarra comes to mind. Their folk metal/black metal album is my favorite and one of my favorite albums.

I've adapted to a lot of vocals and found albums to be some of my favorites ever afterwards, so I'll probably dig into both genres more over time. But I'm definitely one that likes unique, creative vocalists that push new boundaries or just sound completely different from others, or that can mix a whole bunch of styles in one, so I guess vocals that sound too close to being similar as other bands just doesn't appeal to me as much. I don't know if I'm making sense :P

I agree with you about The Mars Volta. I never could get into them because the tone of the vocalist's voice irks me. But very few harsh vocalists get on my nerves like that. Ajatarra is a good band...I've only heard their most recent album Murhat though. Have you tried listening to Opeth's more metal-oriented material? Their vocalist is excellent and uses a nice mix of harsh and cleans vocals. If you like folk-influenced black metal, try Melechesh. They've got a bit of an Arabic-folk tinged sound, but it's rather aggressive black metal so you might not like the vox.
World Bowl VP

NEWSWIRE
Political Compass
Dallas sports

Volmachtia
Senator

Founded: Nov 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volmachtia » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Cosumar wrote:
Corrian wrote:The problem for me is when vocals aren't something I care for much, it can distract me from the rest of what the band is about...Like The Mars Volta. They're very good musically but half the time the vocalist gets on my nerves.

I agree with you about The Mars Volta. I never could get into them because the tone of the vocalist's voice irks me. But very few harsh vocalists get on my nerves like that. Ajatarra is a good band...I've only heard their most recent album Murhat though. Have you tried listening to Opeth's more metal-oriented material? Their vocalist is excellent and uses a nice mix of harsh and cleans vocals. If you like folk-influenced black metal, try Melechesh. They've got a bit of an Arabic-folk tinged sound, but it's rather aggressive black metal so you might not like the vox.

Yeah, Opeth's about as unique as it gets. Check out their songs Ghost of Perdition and The Moor while you're at it.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:40 pm

Aaand now my sister reminded me of the existence of this techno pop metal band with a female lead singer and 2 other singers they just like throw out at random...

Volmachtia wrote:
Corrian wrote:Oh god, my sister reminded me of the existence of Hammerfall. I didn't need to remember that they existed....

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

TBH their first two albums are great. Then sadly they became the buttrock of power metal, alongside Dragonforce (though they had the aid of Geetar Hero).

Things I'm thinking of are songs like "Last Man Standing", "By Any Means Necessary", and "Hearts on Fire", and at least the first two seem really lyrically bad.

Like you said, the buttrock of power metal

Butt metal.

"I am the one. Who lost control. I will be the last man standing!"

Yeah no.

Cosumar wrote:I agree with you about The Mars Volta. I never could get into them because the tone of the vocalist's voice irks me. But very few harsh vocalists get on my nerves like that. Ajatarra is a good band...I've only heard their most recent album Murhat though. Have you tried listening to Opeth's more metal-oriented material? Their vocalist is excellent and uses a nice mix of harsh and cleans vocals. If you like folk-influenced black metal, try Melechesh. They've got a bit of an Arabic-folk tinged sound, but it's rather aggressive black metal so you might not like the vox.

In the singer of The Mars Volta's new project, Anywhere, his singing doesn't bother me at all, though.

But I actually like The Mars Volta a fair amount, with the right songs and once I got myself to forget the vocalist :P

And will listen to those after I finish this album.

Also, since we're on Ajatarra, here's some examples from the album I was saying was my favorite by them. The folk black metal. Even before I got more tolerant of black metal I liked the sound of this album from hearing it in my dads room years ago.
My Last.FM and RYM

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:50 pm

I had Opeth as a band to go through at one point but got rid of them back then. Might like them more now that I've listened to more metal.

The Steven Wilson and Mikael (Insert last name I don't remember, singer of Opeth and mastermind of Opeth like Steven Wilson is to Porcupine Tree, or whatever) project, Storm Corrosion, was one of my favorite albums of 2012.
My Last.FM and RYM

Calorax
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Calorax » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:00 am

I listen to basic stuff like King L, but haven't explored it properly
Fellate my ego! Check out my factbook!
Pro: Björk, Scotland, Irish reunification, LGBT rights and marriage, secularism, centrism, feminism, free education and healthcare, completely free speech, representative democracy, pacifism, Nordic model, EU, environmentalism, UK Green Party

Against: Björkaphobia, social conservatism, corporatism, fascism, death penalty, Thatcherism, UKIP, House of Lords, nuclear power, war on drugs, homophobia, misogyny, USA foreign policy

I don't have a clue about: Palestine.
Economic Left/Right: -8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.56

I'm a social anarchist. Yeah, i know

Music taste and stuff.
INFJ

Mayane
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mayane » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:57 am

Ancient Magmia wrote:
Corrian wrote:I know I'm not :P

:p

Unfortunately he's one of the most overrated drill rappers out there...at least from what I've heard.

But he sure loves sosa, I found his album hilarious though, just like A$AP Ferg's Trap Lord, simple and plain funny singles.

I've only listened to 1 2014 project yet, which wasn't notable, Silver Mt. Zion is on my list for this year though, have yet to listen to that.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:42 am

Mayane wrote:I've only listened to 1 2014 project yet, which wasn't notable, Silver Mt. Zion is on my list for this year though, have yet to listen to that.

I tried liking Silver Mt. Zion but I just couldn't get into the vocals and just scrapped listening to it altogether.

The only 2014 album I've listened to so far was disappointing.
My Last.FM and RYM

Socialist Tera
Senator

Founded: Dec 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialist Tera » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:06 am

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here like the band Orphaned Land?
Theistic Satanist, Anarchist, Survivalist, eco-socialist. ex-tankie.

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:11 am

Socialist Tera wrote:Just out of curiosity, does anyone here like the band Orphaned Land?

I've been meaning to check them out for a long time. What's their best album?
World Bowl VP

NEWSWIRE
Political Compass
Dallas sports

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:13 am

Socialist Tera wrote:Just out of curiosity, does anyone here like the band Orphaned Land?

Orphaned Land just makes me think of a song from one of my favorite Tuvan projects.

So in other words, no...

But really, the album it brought to mind, every time I listen to it I remember how superb it is.
My Last.FM and RYM

Cadonica
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:21 am

Cosumar wrote:

I've been meaning to check them out for a long time. What's their best album?

I second this notion.
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

Mayane
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mayane » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:21 am

Corrian wrote:
Mayane wrote:I've only listened to 1 2014 project yet, which wasn't notable, Silver Mt. Zion is on my list for this year though, have yet to listen to that.

I tried liking Silver Mt. Zion but I just couldn't get into the vocals and just scrapped listening to it altogether.

The only 2014 album I've listened to so far was disappointing.

Currently just relistening 2013 projects and older.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction