NATION

PASSWORD

General Music Discussion

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

PikaMiaowMeow
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby PikaMiaowMeow » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Azrael wrote:
PikaMiaowMeow wrote:
I didn't even check it out c:

MARCO
POLO
GUITAR
SOLO

Well... I found out I can scream.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:40 pm

PikaMiaowMeow wrote:I'm listening to Of Mice & Men - They Don't Call it the South for Nothing. I was reminded about them by a friend. We were talking about how awesome it would be if we had a bf that could sing.. I mean scream like that :blink:

The production is really unsatisfying and there's no dynamics. When it comes to angsty screaming hardcore, super intense underground screamo is way better than all the overproduced chugga chugga metalcore stuff.

Mirrodinia wrote:So I just listened through OK Computer again while reading it's wiki page (don't ask me why, I just do this stuff sometimes). It took longer to read the wiki than to listen to the album. Preeeeetttty long page.

EDIT: oops, I stand correcting myself. I spent part of that time reading reviews on iTunes.

Don't buy Radiohead stuff off of iTunes. All the money goes to EMI.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Mayane
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mayane » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:53 am

Mirrodinia wrote:So I just listened through OK Computer again while reading it's wiki page (don't ask me why, I just do this stuff sometimes). It took longer to read the wiki than to listen to the album. Preeeeetttty long page.

EDIT: oops, I stand correcting myself. I spent part of that time reading reviews on iTunes.

Don't worry, when I listen to an album for the first or second time I almost always read something about it. Or look up what other people liked or hated about it.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:19 pm

Mayane wrote:

Don't worry, when I listen to an album for the first or second time I almost always read something about it. Or look up what other people liked or hated about it.

I have similar tendencies (also when watching movies).
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

*puts on sunglasses*

...so here's your future

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:26 pm

I didn't like the VMAs

but seriously though that whole Miley Cyrus thing :palm: (i'll let the Smiths explain my reaction to her)
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Mayane
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mayane » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:47 pm

TaQud wrote:I didn't like the VMAs

but seriously though that whole Miley Cyrus thing :palm: (i'll let the Smiths explain my reaction to her)

Why would you watch such a thing? I'll just read up on it the day after and just think 'meh'. Then I carry on with life.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:22 pm

My brother described the VMA's as "The Oscars for people with IQ's under 85"

I really don't give a shit about anything to do with MTV, so I didn't even pay a single attention to that whole thing.

And this whole thing with Miley Cyrus has turned into the next bullshit thing for people to be hateful idiots about someone they don't really know.

This whole way we look at celebrities now is just bullshit in itself.

Meryuma wrote:I have similar tendencies (also when watching movies).

I do it more with movies then music.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Azrael
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:43 pm

good for you, now let's never talk about it again
If nothing exists, where did this anger come from?

Mirrodinia
Minister

Founded: Jun 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirrodinia » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:27 pm

It really erks me that I can't put the porcupine tree album I got from the library on my computer. On the back of the case it says "This is a secure CD. It cannot be ripped or copied." >:(
QueenRushMuse Yeah!
"Come on, you know I'm at least half crazy. (weird people live longer)"--Bohlatopia

"We need more songs about pets and less about breakups and romances and love stories and blah blah blah."--Corrian

"If you see it darling, it's there."--Freddie Mercury

"I don't need a girl
Don't need a friend
Cause my friend lonesome's unconditional."
--Max Collins, EVE 6

"Blah blah"--Alex Lifeson

"The most endangered species
The honest man
Will still survive annihilation
Forming a world
State of integrity
Sensitive, open and strong"
--Neil Peart
"Why would one want to not be weird? If you aren't weird then you are normal, and you know something about normal...it doesn't exist.

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:40 pm

Mirrodinia wrote:It really erks me that I can't put the porcupine tree album I got from the library on my computer. On the back of the case it says "This is a secure CD. It cannot be ripped or copied." >:(

Out of curiosity, which album is it?

Also, *irks --- I'm sorry
Last edited by Cosumar on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Mirrodinia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mirrodinia » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:28 am

Cosumar wrote:
Mirrodinia wrote:It really erks me that I can't put the porcupine tree album I got from the library on my computer. On the back of the case it says "This is a secure CD. It cannot be ripped or copied." >:(

Out of curiosity, which album is it?

Also, *irks --- I'm sorry

Oop, sorry yeah, irks.

And it's Deadwing, which I keep trying to get some good listening to's in of it, but it's so much harder when I can't put it on my iPod/iPad.
QueenRushMuse Yeah!
"Come on, you know I'm at least half crazy. (weird people live longer)"--Bohlatopia

"We need more songs about pets and less about breakups and romances and love stories and blah blah blah."--Corrian

"I don't need a girl
Don't need a friend
--Max Collins, EVE 6

The honest man
Forming a world
State of integrity
--Neil Peart
"Why would one want to not be weird? If you aren't weird then you are normal, and you know something about normal...it doesn't exist.

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Deadwing is a really good album. I prefer Fear of a Blank Planet and In Absentia though.
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Katyuscha
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Katyuscha » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:20 pm

Shit.

I didn't even realize that Metric's Fantasies album was released in '09.

Could've sworn it was older than that.
Very soft
Song

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Cosumar wrote:Deadwing is a really good album. I prefer Fear of a Blank Planet and In Absentia though.

I have yet to listen to any of their albums. Fear of a Blank Planet seems like the "iconic" one so I'm thinking I should maybe start there.
Potarius wrote:

*puts on sunglasses*

...so here's your future

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Meryuma wrote:
Cosumar wrote:Deadwing is a really good album. I prefer Fear of a Blank Planet and In Absentia though.

I have yet to listen to any of their albums. Fear of a Blank Planet seems like the "iconic" one so I'm thinking I should maybe start there.

That is definitely a good place to start. The first one I love for the lyrics because they fit really well for an RP character of mine, though the 2nd has great lyrics for a different reason. I like both videos.

Of course there is also the 17-minute track that is one of the best things they've ever done.
My Last.FM and RYM

Mirrodinia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mirrodinia » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Deadwing is my first one.
QueenRushMuse Yeah!

"I don't need a girl
Don't need a friend
--Max Collins, EVE 6

The honest man
Forming a world
State of integrity
--Neil Peart

Mayane
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mayane » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:51 am

Azrael wrote:

good for you, now let's never talk about it again

Just like to say one more thing, the performance by Justin Timberlake was amazing.

Calorax
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Calorax » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:57 am

I've been listening to Nirvana a lot recently and come to conclusion that I actually really like them, despite how overrated they are

Also, In Utero >>> Nevermind
Fellate my ego! Check out my factbook!
Pro: Björk, Scotland, Irish reunification, LGBT rights and marriage, secularism, centrism, feminism, free education and healthcare, completely free speech, representative democracy, pacifism, Nordic model, EU, environmentalism, UK Green Party

Against: Björkaphobia, social conservatism, corporatism, fascism, death penalty, Thatcherism, UKIP, House of Lords, nuclear power, war on drugs, homophobia, misogyny, USA foreign policy

I don't have a clue about: Palestine.
Economic Left/Right: -8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.56

I'm a social anarchist. Yeah, i know

Music taste and stuff.
INFJ

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:10 am

Calorax wrote:I've been listening to Nirvana a lot recently and come to conclusion that I actually really like them, despite how overrated they are

Also, In Utero >>> Nevermind

I like Nirvana alright from the radio songs I've heard but that is all I've heard. Maybe I should just give that album a try when I also give an Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam album a try.

Edit: I've been listening to this song by Birdy (on her album full of cover songs, The National included) on repeat a lot, and I think her covers are pretty decent. They're the types of songs I think are good for listening to but aren't technically the greatest songs by far. A lot better covers then I hear a lot of the time, though.

Of course I only knew like 4 things she covered out of the 11 songs but yeah.
Last edited by Corrian on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Last.FM and RYM

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:43 am

I know this is a weird question coming from me of all people, but what hip-hop albums (Any various one) or hip-hop artists should I at least give a try to? Besides Dalek and Death Grips because I'm already on those two.

Oh, and some other VMA crap, my dad said he watched Kanye West perform at the VMA's, and he was MAJORLY auto-tuned. With a few exceptions I think auto-tune is a really lazy way to do singing. I would think as a hip-hop guy that is highly praised like he is by even some of the more underground people (us), that he wouldn't be a hip-hop artist that uses auto-tune, but I guess I'm wrong. I just really can't stand auto-tune most of the time.
Last edited by Corrian on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Last.FM and RYM

Calorax
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Calorax » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:58 am

Corrian wrote:I know this is a weird question coming from me of all people, but what hip-hop albums (Any various one) or hip-hop artists should I at least give a try to? Besides Dalek and Death Grips because I'm already on those two.

Oh, and some other VMA crap, my dad said he watched Kanye West perform at the VMA's, and he was MAJORLY auto-tuned. With a few exceptions I think auto-tune is a really lazy way to do singing. I would think as a hip-hop guy that is highly praised like he is by even some of the more underground people (us), that he wouldn't be a hip-hop artist that uses auto-tune, but I guess I'm wrong. I just really can't stand auto-tune most of the time.

Shabazz Palaces
cLOUDDEAD
Outkast
Fellate my ego! Check out my factbook!
Pro: Björk, Scotland, Irish reunification, LGBT rights and marriage, secularism, centrism, feminism, free education and healthcare, completely free speech, representative democracy, pacifism, Nordic model, EU, environmentalism, UK Green Party

Against: Björkaphobia, social conservatism, corporatism, fascism, death penalty, Thatcherism, UKIP, House of Lords, nuclear power, war on drugs, homophobia, misogyny, USA foreign policy

I don't have a clue about: Palestine.
Economic Left/Right: -8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.56

I'm a social anarchist. Yeah, i know

Music taste and stuff.
INFJ

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:03 am

Calorax wrote:Shabazz Palaces
cLOUDDEAD
Outkast

Thanks!

I didn't know how worthwhile Outkast was beyond a couple of songs so I never really listened to them. I LOVED one of their music videos as a kid.

Edit: Geez, I just mentioned cLOUDDEAD to a friend, asking if they knew them, and they said yeah and mentioned to me like 5 side projects of theirs that are good as well. I'm going to be busy.
Last edited by Corrian on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Last.FM and RYM

The REAL Glasers
Minister

Founded: Feb 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The REAL Glasers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:43 pm

If you're gonna check out cLOUDDEAD, make sure to listen to Why?. Here are some recs:

Nas (Illmatic)
Reks
Joey Bada$$
A Tribe Called Quest
Public Enemy
Gang Starr
Beastie Boys
YouTube Channel
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Onespeed
http://www.last.fm/user/TheYardstick
Economic Left/Right: -4.88 - Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.67
I want a riot grrrlfriend

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:26 pm

The REAL Glasers wrote:If you're gonna check out cLOUDDEAD, make sure to listen to Why?.

My friend after mentioning them recommended me Themselves, 13 & God, Deep Puddle Dynamics, and Why?, all projects by them.

Here are some recs:

Nas (Illmatic)
Reks
Joey Bada$$
A Tribe Called Quest
Public Enemy
Gang Starr
Beastie Boys

Thanks!
My Last.FM and RYM

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Corrian wrote:I know this is a weird question coming from me of all people, but what hip-hop albums (Any various one) or hip-hop artists should I at least give a try to? Besides Dalek and Death Grips because I'm already on those two.

Crunk Rap is best rap.

Give Lil Jon a try. :)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction