NATION

PASSWORD

Transformers Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Are you excited for the Bumblebee movie?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes : 48

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:07 pm

Gandoor wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:I heard both the muscle car Bumblebee Decepticons have QC issues. Shatter’s shoulders pop off easily and her legs can’t have a very wide stance, and Dropkick’s right leg is hard to swivel at the thigh without popping it off. Those aren’t real major though, since popped off limbs on ball joints can always be reattached.

And, heck, Studio Series deluxes seem to have QC issues more often than not. Of the ones I have, Lockdown, original Bumblebee, Stinger, Barricade, Ratchet, and AOE Drift have given me issues ranging from minor to frustrating. Only Jazz and Scrapmetal are perfect.

But they are pretty.

Twenty dollars BTW

Well four of ‘em came in a pack for $50.

Gotta love the online stores. Browse enough and you’ll always find something on sale.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:30 am

The first Galactic Republic wrote:
Gandoor wrote:Twenty dollars BTW

Well four of ‘em came in a pack for $50.

Gotta love the online stores. Browse enough and you’ll always find something on sale.

I love a good deal or sale.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:11 pm

Picked up a copy of Transformers ‘84 today, and it’s pretty cool. It’s a throwback to the old Marvel comics written by Simon Furman and set in the same continuity, and all the art is made to look like the original series.

I actually picked up several of the original comics at an auction not that long ago, so this is a nice way to complement them.
Last edited by The first Galactic Republic on Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:09 pm

got a couple good lads at walmart today

siege bluestreak and reissue soundwave

sure i coulda got a siege soundblaster for the same price as the g1 soundwave but if i'm gonna buy a toy of the dude that looks as if he's meant to turn into a microcassette recorder, i'm gonna buy the one that actually turns into that instead of only looking like that cuz 'muh geewun nostalgia'
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:47 am

Gandoor wrote:got a couple good lads at walmart today

sure i coulda got a siege soundblaster for the same price as the g1 soundwave but if i'm gonna buy a toy of the dude that looks as if he's meant to turn into a microcassette recorder, i'm gonna buy the one that actually turns into that instead of only looking like that cuz 'muh geewun nostalgia'

Sweet. G1 Soundwave is one of my grails.
The first Galactic Republic wrote:Picked up a copy of Transformers ‘84 today, and it’s pretty cool. It’s a throwback to the old Marvel comics written by Simon Furman and set in the same continuity, and all the art is made to look like the original series.

I actually picked up several of the original comics at an auction not that long ago, so this is a nice way to complement them.

Which issues do you have? I think I have #15, #18, #25, #29, #70, and #71. I also have G2 #1 with the shiny cover, and issue 1 of the first G.I. Joe/TF crossover.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Vank Woratis
Civilian

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Vank Woratis » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:56 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:Well four of ‘em came in a pack for $50.

Gotta love the online stores. Browse enough and you’ll always find william hill promo code on sale.

I love a good deal or sale.

Me too!
Last edited by Vank Woratis on Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:58 am

Vank Woratis wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I love a good deal or sale.

Me too!

What's the best price you've ever gotten? I got both a Primemaster and a Battlemaster on sale.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:32 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Gandoor wrote:got a couple good lads at walmart today

Sweet. G1 Soundwave is one of my grails.
The first Galactic Republic wrote:Picked up a copy of Transformers ‘84 today, and it’s pretty cool. It’s a throwback to the old Marvel comics written by Simon Furman and set in the same continuity, and all the art is made to look like the original series.

Which issues do you have? I think I have #15, #18, #25, #29, #70, and #71. I also have G2 #1 with the shiny cover, and issue 1 of the first G.I. Joe/TF crossover.

I don’t regularly collect the Marvel issues, or comics in general, but I saw this particular stack of comics and decided to go for it. Set me back a bit it did, but definitely worth it.

Right there on the top of the stack was none other than Issue #1. The book that started it all. Pride and joy of all my Transformers products right there.

There were only two other Transformers comics and I can’t actually recall what they were. They’re from later in the run and are less valuable. The other comics in the stack are 80’s Marvel superheroes and some of those are reasonably valuable too.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:02 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:Sweet. G1 Soundwave is one of my grails.

I don’t regularly collect the Marvel issues, or comics in general, but I saw this particular stack of comics and decided to go for it. Set me back a bit it did, but definitely worth it.

Right there on the top of the stack was none other than Issue #1. The book that started it all. Pride and joy of all my Transformers products right there.

There were only two other Transformers comics and I can’t actually recall what they were. They’re from later in the run and are less valuable. The other comics in the stack are 80’s Marvel superheroes and some of those are reasonably valuable too.

No way! You actually have #1? That's awesome! My friend had the "Are All Dead" issue. On another note, I think some of the tail-end G1 comics are genuinely rare because of low subscriptions, or something like that.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:17 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:I don’t regularly collect the Marvel issues, or comics in general, but I saw this particular stack of comics and decided to go for it. Set me back a bit it did, but definitely worth it.

No way! You actually have #1? That's awesome! My friend had the "Are All Dead" issue. On another note, I think some of the tail-end G1 comics are genuinely rare because of low subscriptions, or something like that.

Stroke of luck really. It was a Goodwill auction of all places.

I’ll sell the other comics at some point, but probably not #1.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:33 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:No way! You actually have #1? That's awesome! My friend had the "Are All Dead" issue. On another note, I think some of the tail-end G1 comics are genuinely rare because of low subscriptions, or something like that.

Stroke of luck really. It was a Goodwill auction of all places.

I’ll sell the other comics at some point, but probably not #1.

Sweet. Hold onto #1 for sure.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:14 pm

Western Transformers comics are lame but you bet your goddamn ass I'm gonna be getting myself the English releases of the G1 manga when they come out.

Japanese Transformers fiction >>>>>>>>> American Transformers fiction

Don't @ me
OOC - Call me Viola
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:42 pm

Gandoor wrote:Western Transformers comics are lame but you bet your goddamn ass I'm gonna be getting myself the English releases of the G1 manga when they come out.

Don't @ me

My experience with the Japanese side of things is limited to a vague understanding of the cartoon plots and the little comics about the Unite Warriors giftsets. Those were pretty cute though.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:50 am

Gandoor wrote:Western Transformers comics are lame but you bet your goddamn ass I'm gonna be getting myself the English releases of the G1 manga when they come out.

Don't @ me

My experience with the Japanese side of things is limited to a vague understanding of the cartoon plots and the little comics about the Unite Warriors giftsets. Those were pretty cute though.

My expirience is limited to some of the cartoons and TFwiki.net
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:01 am

For real though while I do enjoy the Japanese Transformers fiction, I could do without any of the homophobic or transphobic '''''''humor''''''' or the sexualization of underage characters or the sexism from the Legends comic and various related things.

Like did I really need to have a comic where the first panel is Minerva, a character who is 15 years old in her show, taking a shower and you can see her bare ass?

No, but I fucking own it because it came with my LG-EX God Ginrai set.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:46 am

Gandoor wrote:For real though while I do enjoy the Japanese Transformers fiction, I could do without any of the homophobic or transphobic '''''''humor''''''' or the sexualization of underage characters or the sexism from the Legends comic and various related things.

Like did I really need to have a comic where the first panel is Minerva, a character who is 15 years old in her show, taking a shower and you can see her bare ass?

No, but I fucking own it because it came with my LG-EX God Ginrai set.

Yeah, that's disturbing. Hasbro would never get away with that.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:29 am

*glances at Simon Furman's contributions to the franchise*

Yeah

never
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:18 am

Gandoor wrote:*glances at Simon Furman's contributions to the franchise*

Yeah

never

From what I remember, Furman just wrote some violent stuff. Unless there's stuff I'm forgetting.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:01 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Gandoor wrote:*glances at Simon Furman's contributions to the franchise*

Yeah

never

From what I remember, Furman just wrote some violent stuff. Unless there's stuff I'm forgetting.

Furman wrote an issue in the Marvel UK run that revealed that the Autobots only built Arcee to appease human feminists who were complaining that the Transformers were sexist because they were all male.

And then in the IDW comics, Furman (who is traditionally not a fan of female Transformers and thinks of them as genderless) depicted Arcee as having been one of these genderless robots that was altered, originally implied to be against her will, into a female Transformer and this made her different than all the other characters.

Also earlier this year in the Earth Wars mobile game (which has its story written by Furman) there was an event about Autobots being in love that literally used canon terms for Transformer relationships from the IDW comics but in the context of the human character in the game writing a slash fanfic that the actual Autobots find creepy and embarrassing. Because hahaha only silly fanfic writers would ship the male Autobots together.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:17 am

You know, if you think about, most Transformer relationships would end up homosexual.

There aren’t really enough female bots to go around.

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:47 pm

I think the saddest thing is that not only did GoBots beat Transformers in terms of female representation in their respective 1980s cartoons (the TFWiki Tumblr crunched the numbers, while both Transformers and GoBots had seven respective female characters, Transformers had all of TWO characters who appeared in more than one episode [Elita One was in two episodes and Arcee was in eleven + the movie], meanwhile of the seven female GoBots, the WORST performing one was Snoop who was in four episodes, while you also had characters like Path Finder and Crasher who were in twenty-five and sixty-two episodes respectively [and Crasher was also in the movie]. And to make matters WORSE, literally none of the female Transformers from the 1980s had toys in the original toyline and yet ALL of the female GoBots had at least ONE toy [admittedly in the case of Snoop, her toy was only in the foreign GoBots lines, its US release was cancelled but even STILL]) but GoBots even beats many modern instances of Transformers fiction when it comes to female rep.

And this is just like titular characters themselves, as far as human characters in both 80s cartoons go?

G1 Transformers had Carly. Carly was in nine episodes of G1.

GoBots had AJ Foster, who was in fifty-six (of the sixy-five episodes) and the movie.

That's just sad.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:21 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:You know, if you think about, most Transformer relationships would end up homosexual.

There aren’t really enough female bots to go around.

That's actually kind of true.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:50 pm

Picked up the Walmart exclusive classic animation redecoes of Siege Optimus and Megatron yesterday.

I see Walmart continues to live up to its reputation when it comes to Transformers exclusives. I knew right away there was zero chance of finding these guys in a store, so I ordered them straight from the website. Only one appeared under Transformers, with the other one not appearing until I searched for it by name, and I was also told both were the very last ones they had in stock. It then took a month and a half longer than they said it would for them to arrive. I paid back in September.

Figures are pretty cool, at least. The redecoes are meant to invoke the appearance of the models from the Sunbow cartoon, but in practice they look more like the cell shaded models from the 2016 Devastation video game. Not that this is a bad thing.

Also my first experience with Voyager Prime, who I quite like. I’ve decided Siege Megatron isn’t that great a mold, though. He’s boxy, the back of his tank mode is just him doing a squat, and he’s designed oddly. I first noticed it when placing him next to Prime, and I couldn’t quite put my finger on what was wrong until I saw an upgrade kit for him. Turns out his legs are oddly aligned such that he sort of leans forward even when supposedly standing straight. He just looks off when posing with other Voyager figures. At least his robot mode looks decent enough.

I also finally saw Siege Ratchets on sale at a Walgreens I passed through. He’s a deluxe sized figure with considerably more accessories than usual for only fifteen dollars, so I’m definitely picking him up.

And I found G2 color changer Deluge randomly at a Goodwill, so that was cool.
Last edited by The first Galactic Republic on Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:19 am

The first Galactic Republic wrote:Picked up the Walmart exclusive classic animation redecoes of Siege Optimus and Megatron yesterday.

I see Walmart continues to live up to its reputation when it comes to Transformers exclusives. I knew right away there was zero chance of finding these guys in a store, so I ordered them straight from the website. Only one appeared under Transformers, with the other one not appearing until I searched for it by name, and I was also told both were the very last ones they had in stock. It then took a month and a half longer than they said it would for them to arrive. I paid back in September.

Figures are pretty cool, at least. The redecoes are meant to invoke the appearance of the models from the Sunbow cartoon, but in practice they look more like the cell shaded models from the 2016 Devastation video game. Not that this is a bad thing.

Also my first experience with Voyager Prime, who I quite like. I’ve decided Siege Megatron isn’t that great a mold, though. He’s boxy, the back of his tank mode is just him doing a squat, and he’s designed oddly. I first noticed it when placing him next to Prime, and I couldn’t quite put my finger on what was wrong until I saw an upgrade kit for him. Turns out his legs are oddly aligned such that he sort of leans forward even when supposedly standing straight. He just looks off when posing with other Voyager figures. At least his robot mode looks decent enough.

I also finally saw Siege Ratchets on sale at a Walgreens I passed through. He’s a deluxe sized figure with considerably more accessories than usual for only fifteen dollars, so I’m definitely picking him up.

Nice! It's rare to see figures that old at thrift stores these days. Never see any myself, although I did find HFTD Hailstorm and DOTM Air Raid at a local thrift store for a couple dollars each.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:28 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:Picked up the Walmart exclusive classic animation redecoes of Siege Optimus and Megatron yesterday.

Nice! It's rare to see figures that old at thrift stores these days. Never see any myself, although I did find HFTD Hailstorm and DOTM Air Raid at a local thrift store for a couple dollars each.

I should note I didn’t actually buy Deluge. He was out of box, missing one of the front wings on his F-1 car mode, the heat sensitive plastic on his front end was stuck in an off white color, and I couldn’t even transform him because some sticky substance had really gotten in there.

Still though, it was fun to spend the next hour of my free time trying to figure out who he was. I only knew he was a white and blue F-1 racecar Decepticon from G2 since I recognized the G2 Decepticon symbol on him. Figured out he was Deluge while browsing through pictures of G2 characters.

I didn’t even know they had color changers. There’s a whole world of obscure 90’s Transformers I still don’t know much about. Kind of an ugly toyline, but you have to admit Hasbro was willing to experiment back then.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction