NATION

PASSWORD

Transformers Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Are you excited for the Bumblebee movie?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes : 48

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:19 am

The ‘86 movie makes no sense without some familiarity with the events of the original cartoon.

It’s a movie for Transformers fans, but it’s not a good jumping point.

It might help to watch the More than Meets the Eye three part online somewhere.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:21 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:The first one is quite good, they go downhill from there. I'd recommend watching the '86 movie first, then the first three Bay movies and then Bumblebee.

The '86 movie is great. I love the soundtrack.

Exactly. I also like they used lines from here in the live action movie.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:27 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:The '86 movie is great. I love the soundtrack.

Exactly. I also like they used lines from here in the live action movie.

I need to get that movie on video, and the soundtrack as well.
The first Galactic Republic wrote:The ‘86 movie makes no sense without some familiarity with the events of the original cartoon.

I would have to agree.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Servilis
Diplomat

Founded: May 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Servilis » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:30 am

autobots, lets fuck

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:32 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:Exactly. I also like they used lines from here in the live action movie.

I need to get that movie on video, and the soundtrack as well.
The first Galactic Republic wrote:The ‘86 movie makes no sense without some familiarity with the events of the original cartoon.

I would have to agree.

It's available on DVD, I bought it years ago for a few bucks.

I thought most G1 episodes were on Youtube, I've been watching them some while ago but they might have been removed now. Otherwise you could read up on TFWiki, that's at least as fun.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.

25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:01 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I need to get that movie on video, and the soundtrack as well.
I would have to agree.

It's available on DVD, I bought it years ago for a few bucks.

I thought most G1 episodes were on Youtube, I've been watching them some while ago but they might have been removed now. Otherwise you could read up on TFWiki, that's at least as fun.

I watched the cartoon on DVD from the local library. I think there are only one or two episodes of G1 on YouTube though.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:08 am

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:44 pm

Honestly the 1986 Transformers movie isn't as good as the fans think it is BUT it's probably the best 1980s anime OVA that isn't a 1980s anime OVA.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:13 am

Gandoor wrote:Honestly the 1986 Transformers movie isn't as good as the fans think it is BUT it's probably the best 1980s anime OVA that isn't a 1980s anime OVA.

I'll admit it's not perfect, but it's better than Bayformers.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:07 pm

Between two and three I'd say. Certainly better than the last ones, it at least had decent Dinobots. And whiny Starscream.

25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:12 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Gandoor wrote:Honestly the 1986 Transformers movie isn't as good as the fans think it is BUT it's probably the best 1980s anime OVA that isn't a 1980s anime OVA.

I'll admit it's not perfect, but it's better than Bayformers.

Hot take: While I won't make any comment on the quality of the live-action films (having only seen the first one on Cartoon Network back in like 2013 or so), what they've done for the brand in terms of its overall brand recognition and what the massive financial success of the films (at least until The Last Knight became a box office disappointment) has done for the other aspects of the brand trumps whatever The Transformers: The Movie did to the franchise.

I mean think about it, regardless of your thoughts on the live-action franchise's quality or content, the fact that they are the reason Transformers went from being 'successful toyline by Hasbro' to 'worldwide multimedia phenomenon' is a lot more impressive than 'movie meant to sell the new toys to kids and also we killed all the old toys cause it's not like kids are attached to these characters or anything' (of course, to be fair to Hasbro, the notion that, yes, kids ARE attached to characters like Optimus Prime and don't think of them as just 'action figures' meant to be replaced by the shiny new guy after a couple of years was literally an unheard of concept back in 86, so not really gonna fully blame them for that, it was just how the market was)
OOC - Call me Viola
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:17 pm

Watched Bumblebee, decent movie.

It's amazing the things you can do when Michael Bay isn't the director.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:20 pm

Gandoor wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I'll admit it's not perfect, but it's better than Bayformers.

Hot take: While I won't make any comment on the quality of the live-action films (having only seen the first one on Cartoon Network back in like 2013 or so), what they've done for the brand in terms of its overall brand recognition and what the massive financial success of the films (at least until The Last Knight became a box office disappointment) has done for the other aspects of the brand trumps whatever The Transformers: The Movie did to the franchise.

I mean think about it, regardless of your thoughts on the live-action franchise's quality or content, the fact that they are the reason Transformers went from being 'successful toyline by Hasbro' to 'worldwide multimedia phenomenon' is a lot more impressive than 'movie meant to sell the new toys to kids and also we killed all the old toys cause it's not like kids are attached to these characters or anything' (of course, to be fair to Hasbro, the notion that, yes, kids ARE attached to characters like Optimus Prime and don't think of them as just 'action figures' meant to be replaced by the shiny new guy after a couple of years was literally an unheard of concept back in 86, so not really gonna fully blame them for that, it was just how the market was)

The 80’s movie was honestly pretty influential itself.

As you said, individual characters mattering and not being interchangeable wasn’t a staple of toylines back then. The reaction to the movie helped to change that and ultimately changed plot driven toy franchises forever.

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:47 pm

I mean yeah that is true, although when you think about it, that didn't really start in Transformers fully until G2 came along.

I say fully cause of course you had things like Powermaster Optimus Prime, Goldbug (if he counts, being a rebuilt Bumblebee and all), the Classic Pretenders, and then like half the Action Masters being 1984 and 1985 guys in G1 but obviously Action Masters were the end of G1, in the US at least.

Whereas G2 was really the first toyline where they consciously tried to keep 'main' characters on the shelves for the kids to buy.

G2 was also where Hasbro started the old 'let's just apply names to toys that don't really fit the character but we need to keep usage of the trademark thing (Examples being: the Go-Bots Frenzy, Sideswipe, and Ironhide - but not Soundwave hilariously enough)
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:15 am

Gandoor wrote:I mean yeah that is true, although when you think about it, that didn't really start in Transformers fully until G2 came along.

I say fully cause of course you had things like Powermaster Optimus Prime, Goldbug (if he counts, being a rebuilt Bumblebee and all), the Classic Pretenders, and then like half the Action Masters being 1984 and 1985 guys in G1 but obviously Action Masters were the end of G1, in the US at least.

Whereas G2 was really the first toyline where they consciously tried to keep 'main' characters on the shelves for the kids to buy.

G2 was also where Hasbro started the old 'let's just apply names to toys that don't really fit the character but we need to keep usage of the trademark thing (Examples being: the Go-Bots Frenzy, Sideswipe, and Ironhide - but not Soundwave hilariously enough)

G2 is hilarious and awesome. Have you seen the commercials? They are comedy gold.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:15 pm

RUN IT'S DREADWING.

God I still need to get some version of the Dreadwing and Smokescreen molds, personally leaning towards either the Beast Wars II BB and Starscream or the Robot Masters Gigant Bomb and Smokesniper ones.

Anyways speaking of -masters, went to Target yesterday and finally found some goddamn Battle Masters and Micromasters. Picked up Blowpipe so my Triggerhappy would have his old Targetmaster buddy and the Race Car Patrol.

Race Car Patrol's pretty cool, their 'weapon' mode sucks shit but I'm glad that, since they're so small and simple, the figures aren't compromised by the gimmick at all. Although I still love how Hasbro is pretending these two figures, which turn into what are very obviously a Pontiac Firebird and a DeLorean with the serial numbers filed off are actually 'Cybertronian' cars instead. Guess you could say the same for a lot of the Autobots in the line though (I mean you're fooling nobody here Sideswipe, you're just a goddamn Lamborghini) but it's just so funny because, due to their small size, they don't have any form of 'Cybertronian' sculpting on them, they're just regular cars.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:55 am

Gandoor wrote:RUN IT'S DREADWING.

God I still need to get some version of the Dreadwing and Smokescreen molds, personally leaning towards either the Beast Wars II BB and Starscream or the Robot Masters Gigant Bomb and Smokesniper ones.

Anyways speaking of -masters, went to Target yesterday and finally found some goddamn Battle Masters and Micromasters. Picked up Blowpipe so my Triggerhappy would have his old Targetmaster buddy and the Race Car Patrol.

Race Car Patrol's pretty cool, their 'weapon' mode sucks shit but I'm glad that, since they're so small and simple, the figures aren't compromised by the gimmick at all. Although I still love how Hasbro is pretending these two figures, which turn into what are very obviously a Pontiac Firebird and a DeLorean with the serial numbers filed off are actually 'Cybertronian' cars instead. Guess you could say the same for a lot of the Autobots in the line though (I mean you're fooling nobody here Sideswipe, you're just a goddamn Lamborghini) but it's just so funny because, due to their small size, they don't have any form of 'Cybertronian' sculpting on them, they're just regular cars.

Hound turns into a Space Humvee. I want to get a version of the Dreadwing mold at some point as well, along with some version of the Combaticon molds. I'm leaning towards the Ruination versions.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:56 am

Don't get the Takara reissue of Bruticus. Those molds turned into crap after HasTak used them like four times in four years.

Although do gotta love how the Hasbro versions showed how quickly toy-safety standards can change though.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:58 am

Gandoor wrote:Don't get the Takara reissue of Bruticus. Those molds turned into crap after HasTak used them like four times in four years.

Although do gotta love how the Hasbro versions showed how quickly toy-safety standards can change though.

Yeah, I'd heard about the degredation. I would love some individually carded Scramble City combiner reissues.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:08 pm

Honestly what I'd rather have compared to more plain G1 reissues would be some neo-G1 stuff and recolors, like how Takara did back in the early 2000s.

Like in Siege we're getting a Barricade retooled from Prowl and we know that the G1 Prowl mold still exists, so how about a reissue of G1 Prowl in the Barricade colors as a 'G1' police Barricade?

Or the Seekers. I mean the Seeker-mold is really ass (even for the time) but I'd be more interested in like a G1 Acid Storm vs the 10 millionth rerelease of Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Gandoor wrote:Honestly what I'd rather have compared to more plain G1 reissues would be some neo-G1 stuff and recolors, like how Takara did back in the early 2000s.

Like in Siege we're getting a Barricade retooled from Prowl and we know that the G1 Prowl mold still exists, so how about a reissue of G1 Prowl in the Barricade colors as a 'G1' police Barricade?

Or the Seekers. I mean the Seeker-mold is really ass (even for the time) but I'd be more interested in like a G1 Acid Storm vs the 10 millionth rerelease of Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp.

That would be cool. Famliar molds, new color schemes. Some G2 would be nice too.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Revanchism
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Revanchism » Sun May 05, 2019 10:46 pm

God the Studio Series has been absolutely killing it. I just recently got DOTM Megatron as a gift and he is amazing.
Also picked up an upgrade kit for SS Grimlock. Not that he really needed it, but man, he looks even better with a giant mace.
I'm back for a bit
Norstal wrote:You ever watched a bad movie that is so bad, that it's enlightening? Like, you start asking yourself, "why did I watched this movie. What is the meaning of life after I watched this movie."
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Excuse me, I believe that the proper term is Satanic-American.
Russian Socialist Soviet States wrote:Does Queen Elsa have a partnership with the Rothschild family in the film?
Kolmya wrote:

Should have been titled A Trve Friend.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:
The Rodina wrote:It was american is hardly an argument.
It's the only argument I need.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon May 06, 2019 7:42 am

Revanchism wrote:God the Studio Series has been absolutely killing it. I just recently got DOTM Megatron as a gift and he is amazing.
Also picked up an upgrade kit for SS Grimlock. Not that he really needed it, but man, he looks even better with a giant mace.

I've heard good things about SS. So the stories are true?
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon May 06, 2019 7:45 am

The New California Republic wrote:I have actually never seen any of the Transformers movies. I need to have a Transformers binge methinks, in order to catch up. :)

I'm still working my way through them. I'm on to Transformers: The Last Knight next. I don't know anything about the plot, but I do know that it was almost universally panned by critics. I'll try to keep an open mind though.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon May 06, 2019 7:54 am

The New California Republic wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I have actually never seen any of the Transformers movies. I need to have a Transformers binge methinks, in order to catch up. :)

I'm still working my way through them. I'm on to Transformers: The Last Knight next. I don't know anything about the plot, but I do know that it was almost universally panned by critics. I'll try to keep an open mind though.

As someone who liked the first movie but only appreciated the others as popcorn action flicks, Last Knight was genuinely awful. I know people complain about them all, but Last Knight really stands out.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction