NATION

PASSWORD

Transformers Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Are you excited for the Bumblebee movie?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes : 48

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:10 pm

Gandoor wrote:(Image)

Oh hell fucking yes.

I don't even mind if the small robot mode is just a G1 Prime because I'll be leaving this guy in his FUCKING GALAXY CONVOY SUPER MODE all the damn time.

It does look pretty sweet.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:13 pm

So I finally found a single WFC figure at Walmart.

Megatron, picked him up and a set of BotBots.

Megatron's really solid and fun and the BotBots are fun and simple little toys. I only got them because the pack I got came with a figure who turned into a goddamn cannoli.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:11 am

So pre-ordered, https://hasbropulse.com/products/transf ... ch_vDXd4s4

Love it. Commemorate 35th for both Ghostbusters AND Transformers, lol.
Such heroic nonsense!

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:15 am

Tekania wrote:So pre-ordered, https://hasbropulse.com/products/transf ... ch_vDXd4s4

Sweet. I picked up the Airstrike and Battle Patrols a few weeks ago. Thry're fun little toys. I also plan on getting some BotBots as well.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:23 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Tekania wrote:So pre-ordered, https://hasbropulse.com/products/transf ... ch_vDXd4s4

Sweet. I picked up the Airstrike and Battle Patrols a few weeks ago. Thry're fun little toys. I also plan on getting some BotBots as well.

Got both as well, ended up having to return my airstrike, replacement on its way. Stormcloud came assembled with two right thighs and so he couldn't transform transform.

About to complete my ZetaToys Kronos (Superion) as well. Catapult (Slingshot) and Downthrust (Skydive) are in my Roller's Stash at TCP. I already have Flyfire(Fireflight) and Airstrike (Air Raid). Just waiting on my preorder of Silver Arrow (Silverbolt) to arrive and I will have my stash shipped.
Such heroic nonsense!

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:08 am

Tekania wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Sweet. I picked up the Airstrike and Battle Patrols a few weeks ago. Thry're fun little toys. I also plan on getting some BotBots as well.

Got both as well, ended up having to return my airstrike, replacement on its way. Stormcloud came assembled with two right thighs and so he couldn't transform transform.

About to complete my ZetaToys Kronos (Superion) as well. Catapult (Slingshot) and Downthrust (Skydive) are in my Roller's Stash at TCP. I already have Flyfire(Fireflight) and Airstrike (Air Raid). Just waiting on my preorder of Silver Arrow (Silverbolt) to arrive and I will have my stash shipped.

Cool. That is an interesting misassembly.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:38 am

So y'all see the Wonfes and Toyfair reveals?

Honestly what I'm most excited for IS BRAND NEW FUCKING ARMADA OPTIMUS PRIME FROM TAKARA.

My least excited thing is the new Masterpiece Bumble because like I don't feel it's necessary? What was wrong with the original one?

(Doesn't help that because of Takara's current 'must match the cartoon character at all costs' thing they've got going on with Masterpiece, the new Bumblebee unfortunately has a backpack that is a mass of Volkswagen parts because lol cartoon accuracy.

I'm sorry but for ¥13,000 (or $117), THIS is just...unacceptable:

Like seriously compare that to the original MP Bumble:

I just don't see the need for the new Bumble, especially considering I could go on BBTS right now and order the original one for $60, which is basically half-price of what both Takara AND Hasbro themselves want for the new one (in case you missed it, Hasbro's got a new online shop up and they actually have a pre-order for the new Bumble for $119). Hell, if I wanted to, I could order the G2 version for $40.
OOC - Call me Viola
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:28 pm

Yeah MP Bee 2.0's snow shoe feet irk me.
Such heroic nonsense!

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:14 am

I don't collect MP, but these new ones just look off to me.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:09 pm

Yeah Takara's current thing with the MPs is show-accuracy to an extreme of trying to make the toys look exactly like the character models used for the show, which unfortunately leads to the transformations becoming more and more complex (because obviously the character models didn't have to worry about real-world physics and could just do shit like shrink car parts when they transformed) and, for me at least, the toy's themselves becoming really bland looking because as part of the whole 'being 1:1 with the character model thing', the newer figures eschew some of the toy-based details older MPs would have in favor of stuff like, say, MP Inferno's entire legs being just red.

Then you get into the Masterpiece+ 'subline' of sorts, which is just a few of the older Autobot car molds given 'cartoon accurate' decoes, which at best seem kind of pointless (compare the original MP-12 Sideswipe to the MP-12+ version, the only real differences are he's got some new white paint, his arms and feet are off-white, he has Red Alert's face, blue windows, and a larger and cartoon-style Autobot symbol) and at worst are kind of hahaha holy crap Takara what are you doing? (See for example, the original MP-20 Wheeljack vs the MP-20+ version)
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:36 am

Gandoor wrote:Yeah Takara's current thing with the MPs is show-accuracy to an extreme of trying to make the toys look exactly like the character models used for the show, which unfortunately leads to the transformations becoming more and more complex (because obviously the character models didn't have to worry about real-world physics and could just do shit like shrink car parts when they transformed) and, for me at least, the toy's themselves becoming really bland looking because as part of the whole 'being 1:1 with the character model thing', the newer figures eschew some of the toy-based details older MPs would have in favor of stuff like, say, MP Inferno's entire legs being just red.

Then you get into the Masterpiece+ 'subline' of sorts, which is just a few of the older Autobot car molds given 'cartoon accurate' decoes, which at best seem kind of pointless (compare the original MP-12 Sideswipe to the MP-12+ version, the only real differences are he's got some new white paint, his arms and feet are off-white, he has Red Alert's face, blue windows, and a larger and cartoon-style Autobot symbol) and at worst are kind of hahaha holy crap Takara what are you doing? (See for example, the original MP-20 Wheeljack vs the MP-20+ version)

Oh geez. The original looks so much better.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:24 am

Don't really want to doublepost, but I recently picked up Siege Flywheels. He blows Battletrap out of the water. He's much more solid, he's got an excellent deco, and his fists aren't restricted like Battletrap's. His feet are a tad large, but it's no bother. I'm loving Siege so far. What about y'all?
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:20 pm

Finally completed my ZetaToys Kronos (Aka Masterpiece scale Superion).
Such heroic nonsense!

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:23 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:Don't really want to doublepost, but I recently picked up Siege Flywheels. He blows Battletrap out of the water. He's much more solid, he's got an excellent deco, and his fists aren't restricted like Battletrap's. His feet are a tad large, but it's no bother. I'm loving Siege so far. What about y'all?

I have kind of...mixed thoughts on Siege so far.

Like I loved most of what came out of wave 1 (although I maintain my distaste for the whole 'battle damage' aesthetic) but some of the wave 2 stuff is, I don't want to necessarily say bad but a bit disappointing?

I mean compare Optimus Prime and Megatron to Starscream and Soundwave.

Now I only own Megatron but he's an all-around great figure with excellent articulation, a fun transformation, etc. and from what I've seen of Prime, he's the same.

Whereas Starscream and Soundwave on the other hand...I mean let's put it bluntly with Starscream: you can have an almost complete robot mode WITHOUT any of the tetrajet parts. Seriously it's just a single friction hinge and the only parts of the robot mode that come from the vehicle are the wings and his shoulder things and having seen the toy in-person at Walmart, his entire sculpt just looks...off. And then Soundwave is well, he's a VERY GOOD G1-style Soundwave (personally minus the battle damage and the yellow eyes, I'm a red-eyed Soundwave fan myself) but unfortunately since Soundwave's G1 design is VERY OBVIOUSLY meant to turn into a microcassette recorder it means this Soundwave has to turn into a classic example of 'spaceship because we say it's a spaceship'.

I will say that I find all of the wave 2 Deluxes, sans Prowl, to be pretty great looking though. It's just damn, those wave 2 Voyagers are such a letdown, personally. Here's hoping Springer is cool.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:37 pm

The only Siege figure that really stands out to me is Ultra Magnus because we finally get a white Optimus Prime inside the Magnus armor again.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:49 am

Gandoor wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Don't really want to doublepost, but I recently picked up Siege Flywheels. He blows Battletrap out of the water. He's much more solid, he's got an excellent deco, and his fists aren't restricted like Battletrap's. His feet are a tad large, but it's no bother. I'm loving Siege so far. What about y'all?

I have kind of...mixed thoughts on Siege so far.

Like I loved most of what came out of wave 1 (although I maintain my distaste for the whole 'battle damage' aesthetic) but some of the wave 2 stuff is, I don't want to necessarily say bad but a bit disappointing?

I mean compare Optimus Prime and Megatron to Starscream and Soundwave.

Now I only own Megatron but he's an all-around great figure with excellent articulation, a fun transformation, etc. and from what I've seen of Prime, he's the same.

Whereas Starscream and Soundwave on the other hand...I mean let's put it bluntly with Starscream: you can have an almost complete robot mode WITHOUT any of the tetrajet parts. Seriously it's just a single friction hinge and the only parts of the robot mode that come from the vehicle are the wings and his shoulder things and having seen the toy in-person at Walmart, his entire sculpt just looks...off. And then Soundwave is well, he's a VERY GOOD G1-style Soundwave (personally minus the battle damage and the yellow eyes, I'm a red-eyed Soundwave fan myself) but unfortunately since Soundwave's G1 design is VERY OBVIOUSLY meant to turn into a microcassette recorder it means this Soundwave has to turn into a classic example of 'spaceship because we say it's a spaceship'.

I will say that I find all of the wave 2 Deluxes, sans Prowl, to be pretty great looking though. It's just damn, those wave 2 Voyagers are such a letdown, personally. Here's hoping Springer is cool.

I only have the funds for Deluxes and Micromasters, so I can't say for sure, but I think some of the Voyagers (Megs) and Leaders, (Magnus/Shocky) look great. Soundwave looks cool, but I agree that the alt mode isn't the greatest. Starscream looks alright.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:42 am

So Takara's revealed the full color images of the new Star Convoy and honestly I'm kind of.......eh on it now?

I mean it's cool that, in addition to being sold on TakaraTomy Mall, Hasbro is going to be selling it on Hasbro Pulse without any import markup (Takara price is ¥9180 (about $82) and Hasbro's price is $79.99) but I'm just not really feeling it anymore.

(I don't feel like embedding the photos so here's the link to Hasbro's shop with photos: https://hasbropulse.com/products/transf ... tar-convoy)

I mean we knew from the first reveal that it was a retool of the POTP Optimus mold but I was never really a fan of that mold in the first place and, while I get that they're likely trying to homage the first reveal art of Star Convoy, which showed Prime's original design becoming Star Convoy, by having Prime's original robot form forming part of Star Convoy as a Super Mode, I don't really like the look of the smaller Prime?

Plus it feels a bit...weird to have all this remolding done to the inner-robot and the super mode but the vehicle mode is basically the same. I mean I don't really see how they could've made it look like Star Convoy's vehicle mode but still. (And there's also the fact that one of the photos of the toy from the Japanese Transformers Twitter showed one of the sections of the trailer stripe being misaligned so I'm kinda worried that the trailer stripe will still be those horrible stickers that are on crooked, start peeling easily as soon as you breathe near them, etc.)

Ah well, maybe in the future we'll get a complete new mold Star Convoy toy like we're getting with the Armada Prime (which we still don't know anything about other than 'it exists')

And well to not be fully negative, the Dengeki Hobby article which fully revealed Star Convoy (found here) also showed off silhouettes for two new figures:
the first of which appears to be a retool of Titans Return Galvatron as Super Megatron (Megatron's revived form from The Battlestars, the same line which featured Star Convoy) and the second appears to be a retool of POTP Hun-Grrr as Turtler, the Seacon leader.

Hopeful we get the rest of the Seacons so we can make a King Poseidon though, although I do wonder who they could make the limbs from. I mean Rippersnapper becoming Overbite is obvious since they both turn into shark monsters, but who knows for the rest of them?
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:52 am

New Siege figures announced:
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Slamdance_(G1)#Generations
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Sideswipe_(G1)/toys#War_for_Cybertron:_Siege (G2)
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Thundercracker_(G1)/toys#War_for_Cybertron:_Siege
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:16 am

Most of the Siege figures are ugly and unimaginative, and its making the new IDW comic designs look wonky.

There I said it.

There are some good ones, like Ultra Magnus and maybe even lamppost Soundwave, but a good chunk of these figures are textbook evergreen/GEEWUN generics. Forgettable in an increasing large sea of modern G1 inspired toylines.

The emphasis on blockiness and the battle damage gimmick are also really unappealing.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:45 am

Who cares about that shit?

TAKARA'S REVEALED THIS GLORIOUS BEAST

I do find it kind of interesting that in this current age of 'brand unification' and Takara just using the Western names for most things, this scan still refers to the character by his Masterforce name of Turtler instead of Snaptrap and the blurb of text refers to King Poseidon as the combined form instead of Piranacon.

Of course the blurb is talking about the G1 versions, since it (paraphrased) says that in G1 Turtler was the Seacons commander and formed the core of King Poseidon, who had both 'combiner and Targetmaster capabilities', so we don't know for sure if they will make an entire set, but the text also says that (again, paraphrased) after other combiner teams were remade in Unite Warriors and Power of the Primes, the expectations for the Seacons is high, so I'm hoping they do make the whole team (although I'd reasonably expect the Targetmaster aspect to get removed, unless they want to include Overbite solely as a CW Legends-style figure with a gun mode instead of being a full limb-bot)

Regardless, I'm gonna be getting this regardless if they release a full set of Seacons or not, Masterforce is my fave Transformers series and I will try to buy all the MF-related merch I can.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:23 am

Gandoor wrote:Who cares about that shit?

TAKARA'S REVEALED THIS GLORIOUS BEAST
(Image)

I do find it kind of interesting that in this current age of 'brand unification' and Takara just using the Western names for most things, this scan still refers to the character by his Masterforce name of Turtler instead of Snaptrap and the blurb of text refers to King Poseidon as the combined form instead of Piranacon.

Of course the blurb is talking about the G1 versions, since it (paraphrased) says that in G1 Turtler was the Seacons commander and formed the core of King Poseidon, who had both 'combiner and Targetmaster capabilities', so we don't know for sure if they will make an entire set, but the text also says that (again, paraphrased) after other combiner teams were remade in Unite Warriors and Power of the Primes, the expectations for the Seacons is high, so I'm hoping they do make the whole team (although I'd reasonably expect the Targetmaster aspect to get removed, unless they want to include Overbite solely as a CW Legends-style figure with a gun mode instead of being a full limb-bot)

Regardless, I'm gonna be getting this regardless if they release a full set of Seacons or not, Masterforce is my fave Transformers series and I will try to buy all the MF-related merch I can.

Sweet. I really should finish watching MF sometime.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:11 pm

I have actually never seen any of the Transformers movies. I need to have a Transformers binge methinks, in order to catch up. :)
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:07 am

The New California Republic wrote:I have actually never seen any of the Transformers movies. I need to have a Transformers binge methinks, in order to catch up. :)

I haven't watched Bumblebee yet, but I have seen the last three Bay movies. I've also seen the '86 movie multiple times. The Bay films are fun to watch, but have very little substance.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:11 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I have actually never seen any of the Transformers movies. I need to have a Transformers binge methinks, in order to catch up. :)

I haven't watched Bumblebee yet, but I have seen the last three Bay movies. I've also seen the '86 movie multiple times. The Bay films are fun to watch, but have very little substance.

The first one is quite good, they go downhill from there. I'd recommend watching the '86 movie first, then the first three Bay movies and then Bumblebee.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:12 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I haven't watched Bumblebee yet, but I have seen the last three Bay movies. I've also seen the '86 movie multiple times. The Bay films are fun to watch, but have very little substance.

The first one is quite good, they go downhill from there. I'd recommend watching the '86 movie first, then the first three Bay movies and then Bumblebee.

The '86 movie is great. I love the soundtrack.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction