NATION

PASSWORD

Transformers Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Are you excited for the Bumblebee movie?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes : 48

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:30 am

The first Galactic Republic wrote:Lol, Hasbro is releasing a studio series figure of Scrapmetal, the Constructicon the other Decepticons killed for spare parts when reviving Megatron in Revenge of the Fallen.

Interestingly, he’ll turn into Devastator’s left hand. An unnamed Decepticon that Hasbro doesn’t acknowledge turned into his left hand in the movie.

And for some reason he's getting an exclusive.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:38 am

I will say one positive thing about the new MP Prime is, since it's designed based off the simplified cartoon model, it will be the first G1 Prime in god knows how long to not have backwards toe details.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:28 am

Saw Bumblebee today. Theater near me was doing advanced screenings today, Also saw Into the Spiderverse.

I liked it.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:44 am

So Hasbro's announced the next one of those fan vote polls and, honestly, I think Hasbro has to be taking the piss or something.

The new one is literally 'What G1 figure do you want to see reissued in 2020 at Walmart?' and the options are Perceptor, Astrotrain, Skywarp, and Thundercracker.

I think the only interesting option out of those would be Astrotrain but only if it was in the 1985 prototype colors which were used for the show and not American toy colors or Japanese release colors.
OOC - Call me Viola
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:52 am

Gandoor wrote:So Hasbro's announced the next one of those fan vote polls and, honestly, I think Hasbro has to be taking the piss or something.

The new one is literally 'What G1 figure do you want to see reissued in 2020 at Walmart?' and the options are Perceptor, Astrotrain, Skywarp, and Thundercracker.

I think the only interesting option out of those would be Astrotrain but only if it was in the 1985 prototype colors which were used for the show and not American toy colors or Japanese release colors.

A prototype Astrotrain re-release would honestly kick ass.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:19 pm

Gandoor wrote:So Hasbro's announced the next one of those fan vote polls and, honestly, I think Hasbro has to be taking the piss or something.

Why not Soundwave? Or Shockwave? Or Megatro- wait, we have toy safety laws. Darn.
Although, tbh, I wouldn't mind any of the choices. Where is the poll?
Last edited by Pax Nerdvana on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:

Why not Soundwave? Or Shockwave? Or Megatro- wait, we have toy safety laws. Darn.

Damn Americans and their restrictions on any gun-related items except, ironically, guns.
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:25 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:

American toy safety laws. The bane of all Megatron obsessed GEEWUNers.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Why not Soundwave? Or Shockwave? Or Megatro- wait, we have toy safety laws. Darn.

Damn Americans and their restrictions on any gun-related items except, ironically, guns.

I know. Why are the laws so restrictive though? I've never heard about many toy related deaths on the news.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Why not Soundwave? Or Shockwave? Or Megatro- wait, we have toy safety laws. Darn.

Meanwhile, in Japan, actual guns are nigh entirely banned while children frolic with realistic looking toy weapons.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:

The poll is coming tomorrow, they only announced it on their FB page today.

Also Shockwave wasn't a Takara mold, so even if Hasbro wanted to reissue it, they can't.

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Arcturus Novus wrote:Damn Americans and their restrictions on any gun-related items except, ironically, guns.

I know. Why are the laws so restrictive though? I've never heard about many toy related deaths on the news.

There have actually been cases where people used realistic toy guns to commit robberies because if it looks like a real weapon, you presume it is one.
Last edited by Gandoor on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Gandoor wrote:

The poll is coming tomorrow, they only announced it on their FB page today.

Also Shockwave wasn't a Takara mold, so even if Hasbro wanted to reissue it, they can't.

I forgot about that. Isn't there a way they could reverse engineer a mold though?
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Gandoor wrote:The poll is coming tomorrow, they only announced it on their FB page today.

I forgot about that. Isn't there a way they could reverse engineer a mold though?

Considering that ToyCo, the company who made the mold that became Shockwave still exists, and has made licensed Transformers merchandise within the past decade.

I don't think that'd be in anyone's best interest.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:32 pm

Gandoor wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I forgot about that. Isn't there a way they could reverse engineer a mold though?

Considering that ToyCo, the company who made the mold that became Shockwave still exists, and has made licensed Transformers merchandise within the past decade.

I didn't realize they were still in business. I thought they died out with the rest of the transforming robot toy market.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:34 pm

You mean the thing that didn't happen?
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:36 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Gandoor wrote:Considering that ToyCo, the company who made the mold that became Shockwave still exists, and has made licensed Transformers merchandise within the past decade.

I didn't realize they were still in business. I thought they died out with the rest of the transforming robot toy market.

Just because Hasbro and Takara are basically running a duopoly with some third-party licensing doesn't mean the industry is dead.

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:39 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I didn't realize they were still in business. I thought they died out with the rest of the transforming robot toy market.

Just because Hasbro and Takara are basically running a duopoly with some third-party licensing doesn't mean the industry is dead.

Yeah I mean considering we're talking about a Korean company here, they don't even officially SELL Transformers in Korea anymore, the transforming robot toy market there is taken up by Hello Carbot and Tobot. (Incidentally the makers of those toylines WERE once the importers for Transformers, which is interesting but makes sense)
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:17 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I didn't realize they were still in business. I thought they died out with the rest of the transforming robot toy market.

That makes sense.
Gandoor wrote:
Arcturus Novus wrote:Just because Hasbro and Takara are basically running a duopoly with some third-party licensing doesn't mean the industry is dead.

Yeah I mean considering we're talking about a Korean company here, they don't even officially SELL Transformers in Korea anymore, the transforming robot toy market there is taken up by Hello Carbot and Tobot. (Incidentally the makers of those toylines WERE once the importers for Transformers, which is interesting but makes sense)

That is interesting.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:40 am

Honestly thinking about that G1 reissue poll, you know what I think would be a more interesting poll than 'Which of these figures, which we've basically reissued within the past few years should we reissue AGAIN?'? A poll between figures that Takara has reissued but Hasbro hasn't.

Like I know there's no way for Hasbro to reissue Fort Max or whatever, but they've never reissued:
Ironhide/Ratchet
Hound
Kup and Recoil
Wheelie
Trailbreaker/Hoist
Sky Lynx
Metroplex
Rewind
Slugfest
Frenzy/Rumble
Overkill
Sixshot

(They also never reissued Bruticus but, uh, you don't want those guys reissued considering the molds went to poop when Takara did reissued them)
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:14 am

Gandoor wrote:Honestly thinking about that G1 reissue poll, you know what I think would be a more interesting poll than 'Which of these figures, which we've basically reissued within the past few years should we reissue AGAIN?'? A poll between figures that Takara has reissued but Hasbro hasn't.

Like I know there's no way for Hasbro to reissue Fort Max or whatever, but they've never reissued:
Ironhide/Ratchet
Hound
Kup and Recoil
Wheelie
Trailbreaker/Hoist
Sky Lynx
Metroplex
Rewind
Slugfest
Frenzy/Rumble
Overkill
Sixshot

(They also never reissued Bruticus but, uh, you don't want those guys reissued considering the molds went to poop when Takara did reissued them)

Yeah, that's a better idea. Also, I think the reason the Combaticon molds are falling apart is that they've used the crap out of them.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:28 am

So some in-package images of a Vintage G1 reissue of Optimus Prime sans trailer have surfaced:

I'm gonna be honest, while the package does look like Hasbro's Vintage G1 reproduction packaging (being bilingual in English and French and replacing the 'It is a world transformed' line with 'It is a world of constant change' because they can't actually say 'transformed'), I'm skeptical that this is real for two reasons:
1) Why reissue G1 Prime without the trailer? It makes no sense.

2) Based on the front package shot, it seems this Prime has long smokestacks as opposed to the shortened smokestacks Hasbro's used for every G1 Prime reissue since the Commemorative Series reissue. And honestly, while it has been a while since the last Hasbro G1 Prime reissue (2008 for the Universe reissue, 2012 if you count the Hasbro Asia rerelease of the Commemorative Series release), I doubt that toy safety laws have suddenly changed to make it OK for them to give Prime his long smokestacks (and even if it did, we know Hasbro is notoriously fearful of any potential dangers so they might shorten the smokestacks regardless if its OK to not do so)
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:17 am

Gandoor wrote:So some in-package images of a Vintage G1 reissue of Optimus Prime sans trailer have surfaced:

I'm gonna be honest, while the package does look like Hasbro's Vintage G1 reproduction packaging (being bilingual in English and French and replacing the 'It is a world transformed' line with 'It is a world of constant change' because they can't actually say 'transformed'), I'm skeptical that this is real for two reasons:
1) Why reissue G1 Prime without the trailer? It makes no sense.

2) Based on the front package shot, it seems this Prime has long smokestacks as opposed to the shortened smokestacks Hasbro's used for every G1 Prime reissue since the Commemorative Series reissue. And honestly, while it has been a while since the last Hasbro G1 Prime reissue (2008 for the Universe reissue, 2012 if you count the Hasbro Asia rerelease of the Commemorative Series release), I doubt that toy safety laws have suddenly changed to make it OK for them to give Prime his long smokestacks (and even if it did, we know Hasbro is notoriously fearful of any potential dangers so they might shorten the smokestacks regardless if its OK to not do so)

That is odd that they would reissue it without the trailer.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:30 am

Hasbro heard everyone clamoring for a Hasbro release of the MP Convoy sans trailer so it wouldn't cost like $400-something dollars but thought they meant the original Prime.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:11 am

Gandoor wrote:Hasbro heard everyone clamoring for a Hasbro release of the MP Convoy sans trailer so it wouldn't cost like $400-something dollars but thought they meant the original Prime.

*sigh* Sounds like Hasbro...
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:19 am

Well the G1 Prime reissue is real and it's reportedly going to cost $50

$50 for G1 Optimus Prime without his goddamn trailer.

Yeah thanks Hasbro can't wait for the $30 reissue of G1 Combat Deck without Optimus Prime afterwards.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction