NATION

PASSWORD

Transformers Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Are you excited for the Bumblebee movie?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes : 48

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:29 pm

Meanwhile in Japan, WE'RE GETTING A NEW BIG POWERED:

For the record, they're retools:
Dai Atlas is a retool of Sky Shadow, Sonic Bomber is a retool of Misfire, and Roadfire is a retool of Twin Twist.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:10 am

Gandoor wrote:Meanwhile in Japan, WE'RE GETTING A NEW BIG POWERED:

Dai Atlas is a retool of Sky Shadow, Sonic Bomber is a retool of Misfire, and Roadfire is a retool of Twin Twist.

That looks awesome!
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:38 pm

What's less awesome is the price.

It's $160.

And it's like I kind of want it but I don't think it's worth $160.

I mean it's just a Leader and two Deluxes.

I paid $165 for the God Ginrai exclusive set and that was two Leaders + the two exclusive Minerva and Cab Headmaster figures.
OOC - Call me Viola
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:05 am

Gandoor wrote:What's less awesome is the price.

It's $160.

And it's like I kind of want it but I don't think it's worth $160.

I mean it's just a Leader and two Deluxes.

I paid $165 for the God Ginrai exclusive set and that was two Leaders + the two exclusive Minerva and Cab Headmaster figures.

Yeah, it's probably not worth it.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:57 pm

Worst color scheme? I don't know if it's the worst, but Shattered Glass Thundercracker is pretty bad.
Last edited by The first Galactic Republic on Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:46 pm

Have quite a haul from TFCon USA 2018 dealer room this past weekend....

From FansToys: Sever (Dinobot Snarl), Soar (Dinobot Swoop), Grinder (Dinobot Grimlock), and Quietus (Cyclonus)
From X-Transbots: Savant (Skids), Flipout (Wildrider) and Crackup B2(G2 Breakdown)[a convention exclusive)
From DX9: Richthofen (Powerglide)
From Badcube: Huff (Huffer)
From Open and Play: Big Spring (Springer).
Such heroic nonsense!

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:21 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:Worst color scheme? I don't know if it's the worst, but Shattered Glass Thundercracker is pretty bad.

I mean, is it fair to call that figure's deco 'bad' when it's deliberately homaging another figure that's famous for it's gaudy early 90s neon color scheme?

Anyways, people have found WFC Siege figures at US retail and, watching a couple of video reviews of the Prime and Megatron, they look really neat and have surprisingly complex engineering for a figure in 2018, but I still don't like the whole half-assed 'battle damage' paint effects.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:34 pm

Gandoor wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:Worst color scheme? I don't know if it's the worst, but Shattered Glass Thundercracker is pretty bad.

I mean, is it fair to call that figure's deco 'bad' when it's deliberately homaging another figure that's famous for it's gaudy early 90s neon color scheme?

Anyways, people have found WFC Siege figures at US retail and, watching a couple of video reviews of the Prime and Megatron, they look really neat and have surprisingly complex engineering for a figure in 2018, but I still don't like the whole half-assed 'battle damage' paint effects.

I'm aware of the homage, but I think Shattered Glass Thundercracker should be noted because he actually shows up in a story.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:14 am

Picked up Roadtrap, Battleslash, and Alchemist Prime over the last few days. I feel like I was lucky to even see Battletrap in the wild. Also, have Siege Deluxes been spotted in the wild yet?
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:21 pm

Yeah people have found them at Target.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:06 am

Gandoor wrote:Yeah people have found them at Target.

Great. My nearest Target is like half an hour away. Thanks for the tip!
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:53 am

Say what you want about Michael Bay, but he always used his charm to get the most out of his actors in the Transformers movies.

Here he is with Nicola Peltz, who played Tessa Yeager.
Last edited by The first Galactic Republic on Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:55 am

I actually got my hands on some G1 figures: A near mint Kup, with metal wheels and plastic feetonly missing his rifle, a turret, accessorie, and stickerless Blitzwing, an unpainted Magnus cab without hands, and a stickerless and rifleless Astrotrain, who is also missing some pieces.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Serendipita
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Serendipita » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:51 pm

Gandoor wrote:Meanwhile in Japan, WE'RE GETTING A NEW BIG POWERED:

I've been so hyped after seeing the new Dai Atlas retool; the Alternity figure didn't really cut it for me.
I don't have time to die, I'm too busy!
-Me

That's it, you're on bomb disposal duty, buster- Brigadier General Bright

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:52 pm

So the price and first color images for the new Masterpiece Convoy have been revealed......

Well for starters, here's a robot mode image:

And now comes the price

¥50,000

That's US$440.

This is the most expensive Transformers toy ever, beating out the ¥35,000 (US$308) that MP Beast Wars Megatron is gonna cost you.

And honestly, ignoring my distaste for the MP line going into 'recreate G1 cartoon model as accurately as possible', I think a $440 asking price is borderline indefensible. Mostly because like, it's G1 Optimus Prime, he gets a half-dozen new toys a year + you can easily get MP10 for $200 or less on ebay.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Serendipita
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Serendipita » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:59 pm

Gandoor wrote:So the price and first color images for the new Masterpiece Convoy have been revealed......

(Image)

And now comes the price

¥50,000

That's US$440.

This is the most expensive Transformers toy ever, beating out the ¥35,000 (US$308) that MP Beast Wars Megatron is gonna cost you.

And honestly, ignoring my distaste for the MP line going into 'recreate G1 cartoon model as accurately as possible', I think a $440 asking price is borderline indefensible. Mostly because like, it's G1 Optimus Prime, he gets a half-dozen new toys a year + you can easily get MP10 for $200 or less on ebay.

While personally I quite enjoy the MP updates on characters, there's no conceivable way that anything that toy has to offer could justify such an eye-watering price. What the hell are they trying to pull here?
-Me

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:58 pm

Gandoor wrote:So the price and first color images for the new Masterpiece Convoy have been revealed......

(Image)

And now comes the price

¥50,000

That's US$440.

What justified that? Will Peter Cullen come to your house and read all his lines from the movie if you purchase it?

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:43 am

The price is basically putting it in the range of Bandai's DX Soul of Chogokin figures, but when Bandai charges such a premium for a figure, there is an expectation that they will give the figure a premium amount of QC as well.

Takara doesn't have such an expectation, not only because they've never had a price this high with a Transformer before, but rather because of various design flaws and QC issues that have plagued previous collector-aimed Transformers they've released.

Like here are just a few examples off the top of my head:
MP-9 Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime: The leg panels were too fragile and broke off easily, the figure could barely hold its gun due to the peg-holes being too shallow and conflicting with the angle of his hands, the springs in the ankles coming unwound, the backpack won't clip into place, and the slot that the spoiler slides into when you put the figure into Rodimus Prime's vehicle mode is too narrow since the interior is painted, meaning the paint on the spoiler will get scraped off when you do this. Oh and let's not forget the QC issues that faced the Hasbro release of the mold and the Black Rodimus Convoy redeco. In the Hasbro release, overly powerful springs putting pressure on strangely weak plastic means that the figure WILL destroy itself, either in shoulders or by having his knee ratchets shattering. Black Rodimus Convoy features a similar issue with the knees, after one transformation the knee joints will crack due to the joint being brittle plus the plastic socket being painted, and after it's cracked, moving into some extreme positions (such as those needed to transform the damn thing) results in the knee joint snapping in two.

MP-36 Megatron: Paint damage is extremely common because of various parts of the figure having to scrape past each other when transforming it and it is impossible to attach the silencer without scraping paint off the barrel.

MP-41 Dinobot: Moving Dinobot's shoulders in robot mode may cause a small peg inside them to break off, meaning the ratchet joints now function as swivel joints instead.

Now sure, with the exception of Hot Rod, most of those don't seem like major issues (especially Dinobot's which breaks something but doesn't break the toy itself) but when you're going to be paying a premium for a figure, it shouldn't have those QC issues or design flaws at all.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:03 am

(Image)

And now comes the price

¥50,000

That's US$440.

That is way too expensive, even for an MP.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Serendipita
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Serendipita » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:51 pm

If quality control has been a consistent issue with MP figures then they should be ironed out before Takara even considers releasing something near this price-point.
-Me

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:23 pm

I mean it's far from consistent, counting only original molds (so counting only numerical releases with no redecos or minor retools [I'm counting the two MP seeker molds distinct even though the second is a HEAVY retool of the original due to the amount of differences between them], there have been twenty-six G1 Masterpiece molds released so far.

I don't think three of them having QC issues is a 'consistent issue'.
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:34 pm

(Image)

And now comes the price

¥50,000

That's US$440.

I spent more than $100 less than that on my FansToys Terminus Giganticus.... and it is 26" tall and weights 11 pounds.
Such heroic nonsense!

Serendipita
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Serendipita » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:59 pm

Gandoor wrote:I mean it's far from consistent, counting only original molds (so counting only numerical releases with no redecos or minor retools [I'm counting the two MP seeker molds distinct even though the second is a HEAVY retool of the original due to the amount of differences between them], there have been twenty-six G1 Masterpiece molds released so far.

The fact that any MP toys have quality-control issues worthy to note is concerning considering that they're meant to appeal to collectors and whatnot.
-Me

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:09 pm

Serendipita wrote:
Gandoor wrote:I mean it's far from consistent, counting only original molds (so counting only numerical releases with no redecos or minor retools [I'm counting the two MP seeker molds distinct even though the second is a HEAVY retool of the original due to the amount of differences between them], there have been twenty-six G1 Masterpiece molds released so far.

The fact that any MP toys have quality-control issues worthy to note is concerning considering that they're meant to appeal to collectors and whatnot.

Oh yeah that is definitely true.

Anyways in less: holy shit Takara what the fuck are you doing why is it so expensive news, Hasbro's announced a new 'line' called Transformers Generations Selects, which are mail-order online exclusive special edition figures.

So far they've put up preorders for Red Swoop (obviously POTP Swoop but in G1 toy colors instead of the cartoon/Diaclone colors that the mass release figure was) and Ricochet (Redeco of POTP Jazz as the 1987 character Stepper and I don't know why Hasbro keeps calling him Ricochet I don't know a single fan who calls him that PLEASE)
OOC - Call me Viola
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
TGs are welcome

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:43 pm

Lol, Hasbro is releasing a studio series figure of Scrapmetal, the Constructicon the other Decepticons killed for spare parts when reviving Megatron in Revenge of the Fallen.

Interestingly, he’ll turn into Devastator’s left hand. An unnamed Decepticon that Hasbro doesn’t acknowledge turned into his left hand in the movie.
Last edited by The first Galactic Republic on Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction