NATION

PASSWORD

Which Anime are you watching or have watched recently IV?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:59 am

Munkcestrian Republic wrote:
Heloin wrote:Does it not spend enough time praising Northumbria or something?

No, it's that the St. Brice's Day "massacre" wasn't a bunch of mean Anglo-Saxons murdering Norse women and children but was instead oppressed people executing those who had invaded their country.

One of those statements shows a very poor understanding of the history and one of those statements is only half true. I'll let you decide for yourself which is which.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:53 am

New haven america wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:Well, it was either read a synopsis and skip the part for now or give up on the series entirely.
I wanted to watch a humorous story about people punching things with magic powers, not the adventures of an overly pretentious nobleman and his sociopathic adoptive brother. When I left off (I think it was around Episode 4, not sure though), the plot didn't seem to be going anywhere, I'd run out of patience with Jonathan's idiocy, and the only punching going on was both completely non-magical and seemingly irrelevant to the narrative.

It doesn't really help that Dio is written as pure evil, but the only evil things he does are either done for no reason but casting him as evil (such as him kicking the literal dog), or are best described as "Dio is a better nobleman than Jonathan is, which is bad because Jonathan is the hero and being a nobleman is like 70% of his personality". In short, he's evil because he's the antagonist and therefore the story needs to make him evil, which is not a well written character. And he's much better written than anyone else in the show, especially Jonathan.

There's nothing wrong with a character being evil for the sake of being evil, what matters is why or their entertainment value.

He's being an evil bastard because he wants to rise above his family's place in society and gain wealth and power, something he never had growing up. He's basically the majority of American CEO's, except they were already born into wealth.

I guess what I'm saying is that Dio is cast as cold, calculating, and ambitious, seeing no value in others except insofar as they can help him advance his goals, acting polite and sympathetic up until the second when he stabs you in the back. He is also cast as a petty dick who ruins others' lives for no real reason other than because he can. I don't have anything against pure evil characters, but they should at least be consistent with regards to why they're evil. Frieza was completely self-serving, Vader had absolute loyalty to the Emperor, Thanos wanted to preserve the universe's limited resources. Everything those characters did (at least, until they went through character development in the former two cases) directly served their goals.
Dio, on the other hand, couldn't seem to decide what his goal actually was - he wanted to cheat Jonathan out of his inheritance, sure, but most of his actions seemed to be tangential to that goal at best. Or at least, it was kind of jarring to see him be intelligent, cunning, and manipulative in one scene, and petty and vindictive for no apparent reason in the next.

I'll give the series the credit it deserves, because that was the early days of Jojo and this was long before the series found its footing. I would probably do much worse if I had to write an anime, and most series are kind of poorly written at the very start.

Either way, I'm going to watch the entirety of Phantom Blood for an English project (we have to describe literary foils, and I think Jonathan and Dio are near perfect foils for one another - also I kind of wanted an excuse to finish Phantom Blood), so I'll get back to y'all if my impression of Dio changes any as the series goes on.

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:27 am

Heloin wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:No, it's that the St. Brice's Day "massacre" wasn't a bunch of mean Anglo-Saxons murdering Norse women and children but was instead oppressed people executing those who had invaded their country.

One of those statements shows a very poor understanding of the history and one of those statements is only half true. I'll let you decide for yourself which is which.

Why do you always insist on disagreeing with me? Do you really just dislike Northumbria so much you'll disagree even when you're obviously wrong or something
if you like my posts please make sure to downvote my factbooks.
DON'T CLICK
"lmao child you come into MY region"
no, this nation does not represent my
views. i cannot believe i have to clarify this

for RPers
my views explained

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:34 pm

...I'm not sure what's happening anymore...
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:05 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:...I'm not sure what's happening anymore...

New haven america wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Uh...okay? Not really an action scene though. I was talking more like when Askeladd fought Thors and such. The crazy action movie type stuff.

I think they're trying to pull an Auri and share whatever comes to mind.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:38 pm

...Seriously, Interstella 5555?
It was all a fucking dream?
I listened to an entire effing Daft Punk (Who I was never super into) album for that?

Up yours.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Las Palmeras
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Yo, Heloin. Is the character in your flag from Witch Vasenka's War?
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.
UPHOLD SOUTH REINISM-LENINISM! UNLIMITED DESTRUCTION OF 1ST WORLD HETERRHOIDS!

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:12 pm

I was told to check out this 3 episode OVA thing called Mazinkaiser SKL.

...I love it. It's so unabashedly testosterone fueled. Talking minimal story, blood and explosions everywhere, giant robots, two bloodthirsty lunatics for main characters, all set to a metal soundtrack.

AWESOME.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:21 pm

Well happy day for me. An OVA for Is The Order A Rabbit came out, I found out there was a movie I missed and I found out it's getting a 3rd season.

Woo-hoo.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Immoren » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:55 am

Let's see how long it works, but first ep of the Wrestler isekai had me rolling.
I know he just wants to pet animals, but my reaction on that alleyway scene was "new bisexual icon?".

Azur Lane: The Anime’s opening sequence takes me immediately back to Battleship (2012).

Azur Lane's OP is not some sea shanty?
Horrid disappointment.
Last edited by Immoren on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Flussigkeit Kase
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

The Future Diary

Postby Flussigkeit Kase » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:04 pm

Mirai Nikki, or The Future Diary, is the anime I have been watching recently. This will be the third time that I have watched it, and you discover new things about the show every single time you watch it. It is so messed up but so interesting, I can't stop watching it. It is available for free on Funimation - I highly suggest watching it.
Last edited by Flussigkeit Kase on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:06 pm

Flussigkeit Kase wrote:Mirai Nikki, or The Future Diary, is the anime I have been watching recently. This will be the third time that I have watched it, and you discover new things about the show every single time you watch it. It is so messed up but so interesting, I can't stop watching it. It is available for free on Funimation - I highly suggest watching it.

Watching that show once was enough of a chore. I can't fathom suffering through it twice.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:11 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Flussigkeit Kase wrote:Mirai Nikki, or The Future Diary, is the anime I have been watching recently. This will be the third time that I have watched it, and you discover new things about the show every single time you watch it. It is so messed up but so interesting, I can't stop watching it. It is available for free on Funimation - I highly suggest watching it.

Watching that show once was enough of a chore. I can't fathom suffering through it twice.

It was meh for me, I value unique stories. It certainly was that, but the plot was not quite the best.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:13 pm

i have no idea what's going on in anime right now, but i may go to an anime convention to find out.

i like the location to location transitions more then action to action transitions,
and i think the more asian style imitates western stile is a loss.

but i never get to see anything while it is still current.
usually no less then a couple of years after it has ended.

so i'm still on stuff that was like ten, even twenty years ago.
most current thing in can remember was like a couple of years ago,
i saw mabye one or two episodes of something that was about some kind of young samurai trans galactic cooking class.

no idea what it was called.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:45 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Watching that show once was enough of a chore. I can't fathom suffering through it twice.

It was meh for me, I value unique stories. It certainly was that, but the plot was not quite the best.

It was torture for me. Cause good God, did I hate Yuuki. Like the worst MC ever. Just pissed and moaned all show, and kept outliving the cool diary holders cause of that cheat code girlfriend of his.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:48 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:It was meh for me, I value unique stories. It certainly was that, but the plot was not quite the best.

It was torture for me. Cause good God, did I hate Yuuki. Like the worst MC ever. Just pissed and moaned all show, and kept outliving the cool diary holders cause of that cheat code girlfriend of his.

Cant blame a dude when they have a bad case of Shinji-itus
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:56 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:It was torture for me. Cause good God, did I hate Yuuki. Like the worst MC ever. Just pissed and moaned all show, and kept outliving the cool diary holders cause of that cheat code girlfriend of his.

Cant blame a dude when they have a bad case of Shinji-itus

The Hell I can't. There was a freaking 5 year old in that show who had more balls than Yuuki's bitch ass.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:15 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:I GOT A IDEA!
Chess Anime.
Swap yugioh cards for chess pieces and personality abilities.
In a academy.

Eh, we already have Uno as a anime, so it would be to far from the generic idea barrel.

HUElavia
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby HUElavia » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:45 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:Eh, we already have Uno as a anime, so it would be to far from the generic idea barrel.

I WANT A REAL UNO ANIME!

And Chess.

I remember my favorite manga, Kaiji, teased readers with the protagonist being offered a game of Uno while Gambling.

I still demand to see an Uno arc for the manga (and hopefully in a 3rd Season of the anime)

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:59 am

And you can add Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne to the list of funny isekai parodies this season.

Loving this.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Servilis
Diplomat

Founded: May 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Servilis » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:18 am

Fate : Apocrypha
Fate : Grand Order
Blend-S

thats about it

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:04 pm

...You know, I should have done a little research into this Jet Girls show. Maybe look up a preview or a poster instead of stopping after the phrase "Jet ski racing".
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Bolgano
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Bolgano » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:32 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:I GOT A IDEA!
Chess Anime.
Swap yugioh cards for chess pieces and personality abilities.
In a academy.

Chess Anime?
I would not have emotion :rofl:
Ranking KPB: 95 (8.24)
Trigram: BGN
Titles: Wonder Cup 1, Beconailles (Andres Da Silva)

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:13 pm

I just went upstairs for a snack, and I'm fairly certain I heard mom watching the "Shark!" song clip from Sweetness And Lightning on her phone...that is weird.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Immoren » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:18 am

Why in Azur Lane Queen Elizabeth is so petite, if she’s a battleship?
Last edited by Immoren on Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction