NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which Way Are You Watching Spider-Noir?

Black and White
14
54%
Color
3
12%
Both
9
35%
 
Total votes : 26

User avatar
Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13770
Founded: May 31, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Pasong Tirad » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:25 am

If you guys haven't watched it yet, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse is really good. One of - if not the - best movies I've seen this year. If the Academy had any sense in them, they would nominate it for Best Picture, and not just Best Animated Feature - which it should win.
Last edited by Pasong Tirad on Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 54212
Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:59 am

Pasong Tirad wrote:If you guys haven't watched it yet, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse is really good. One of - if not the - best movies I've seen this year. If the Academy had any sense in them, they would nominate it for Best Picture, and not just Best Animated Feature - which it should win.

Best Animated Feature was created specifically to prevent animated movies from being nominated for Best Picture. It's a real shitty thing.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

User avatar
Olthar
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59217
Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:00 am

I really want to see a Spider-Man/Deadpool movie with Holland and Reynolds. That would be the bomb.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

User avatar
The Biggles Syndicate
Diplomat
 
Posts: 930
Founded: May 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Biggles Syndicate » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:08 pm

Olthar wrote:I really want to see a Spider-Man/Deadpool movie with Holland and Reynolds. That would be the bomb.

"I hate you, Deadpool."
"I know you mean LOVE!!!!!

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48095
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:25 am

Dammit Runaways...you name drop Wakanda but you have characters that are amazed to find out alien life exists? Aliens invaded New York...people take selfies with Thor the God of Thunder...are you in or are you out? Motherfuckers.

Otherwise I like this season more than last.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

User avatar
HC Eredivisie
Senator
 
Posts: 4096
Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:24 pm

> Dr. Strange: we have a list of persons and beings who are potential threats to Earth.
> Also Dr. Strange: Thanos?
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63166
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:32 am

Irish Nationalist from Belfast ■■■ / Leftwing / Atheist / Re-arm Europe
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020



I like Miniature painting, Tanks, Horse Girl racing (apparently), Video games and most importantly Cheese.


User avatar
Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 54212
Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:41 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Punisher season 2 trailer

Why even bother? We know it'll get cancelled after this to be on the Disney streaming service.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41224
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:41 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Punisher season 2 trailer


:rofl:

Why does it seem like such a small time production? (but the the type that gets a very loyal cult following)

Wait... is that Renley Baratheon as the villain?

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41224
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:43 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Punisher season 2 trailer

Why even bother? We know it'll get cancelled after this to be on the Disney streaming service.


It doesn't look violent enough

=(

I did not watch Season 1, should I?

If it doesn't have gallons of blood and over-the-top antihero style executions/torture than its not "Punisher" enough for me =(

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63166
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:43 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Punisher season 2 trailer


:rofl:

Why does it seem like such a small time production? (but the the type that gets a very loyal cult following)

Wait... is that Renley Baratheon as the villain?

No thats a completely different actor.

Ameriganastan wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Punisher season 2 trailer

Why even bother? We know it'll get cancelled after this to be on the Disney streaming service.
It was already in production by a good margin when they began axing the others, might as well get season 2 out instead of just telling everyone to go home and cancelling it as its being done.

Same with Jessica Jones i think the third season is in production already too.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast ■■■ / Leftwing / Atheist / Re-arm Europe
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020



I like Miniature painting, Tanks, Horse Girl racing (apparently), Video games and most importantly Cheese.


User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63166
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:44 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Why even bother? We know it'll get cancelled after this to be on the Disney streaming service.


It doesn't look violent enough

=(

I did not watch Season 1, should I?

If it doesn't have gallons of blood and over-the-top antihero style executions/torture than its not "Punisher" enough for me =(

It has plenty of violence.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast ■■■ / Leftwing / Atheist / Re-arm Europe
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020



I like Miniature painting, Tanks, Horse Girl racing (apparently), Video games and most importantly Cheese.


User avatar
Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20487
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:52 am

I thought it was pretty awesome.
You can't beat the song choice of the S1 trailer, but I liked what I was shown more in this one I think.

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41224
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:57 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
It doesn't look violent enough

=(

I did not watch Season 1, should I?

If it doesn't have gallons of blood and over-the-top antihero style executions/torture than its not "Punisher" enough for me =(

It has plenty of violence.


How cathartic is the violence?

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63166
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:07 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:It has plenty of violence.


How cathartic is the violence?

This is one of the early fights in season 1. They dont need gallons of blood to be brutal

There are some nastier more gorier ones in the later episodes but again, you dont need a stupid amount of blood for them to be good.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast ■■■ / Leftwing / Atheist / Re-arm Europe
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020



I like Miniature painting, Tanks, Horse Girl racing (apparently), Video games and most importantly Cheese.


Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48095
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:11 am

After what he did to Jigsaw's face at the end of season one, his face in this season is not nearly fucked up enough.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63166
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:13 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:After what he did to Jigsaw's face at the end of season one, his face in this season is not nearly fucked up enough.

Yeah was hoping it would be more scarred and just messed up
Irish Nationalist from Belfast ■■■ / Leftwing / Atheist / Re-arm Europe
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020



I like Miniature painting, Tanks, Horse Girl racing (apparently), Video games and most importantly Cheese.


User avatar
Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 54212
Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:15 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:After what he did to Jigsaw's face at the end of season one, his face in this season is not nearly fucked up enough.

*Quick Google check*

...That's it? He's got a scar on his cheek, and they call that Jigsaw? You gonna do Jigsaw, then go big or go home. Like Warzone. Now that looked like Jigsaw.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

User avatar
Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20487
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:22 am

From what I understand based on what I've picked up reading comments on the trailer, he underwent a lot of plastic surgery for it.
There's a few factors.
First, it's a more modern incarnation of the Punisher, and it's incredible what people can do with surgery these days.
Second, the writers wanted to focus more on his emotional scars, which I can see being pretty fun done right. Especially since we see him talking to a therapist.
Thirdly, you don't hire Ben Barnes and then not show Ben Barnes. Also most actor contracts rely on them being seen. It's why in superhero movies, they have their mask off more than you'd think, and in space movies, they have lights on the inside of the helmet, and in cop movies, the main characters never wear face protection when storming a building with the SWAT team.

User avatar
Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 54212
Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:24 am

Alvecia wrote:From what I understand based on what I've picked up reading comments on the trailer, he underwent a lot of plastic surgery for it.

So did the guy I linked up there. And he still came out looking like a badly stitched flesh golem.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

User avatar
Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20487
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:32 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Alvecia wrote:From what I understand based on what I've picked up reading comments on the trailer, he underwent a lot of plastic surgery for it.

So did the guy I linked up there. And he still came out looking like a badly stitched flesh golem.

Any plastic surgen that ended up with that as a result would have lost their license for malpractice.

User avatar
Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 54212
Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:36 am

Alvecia wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:So did the guy I linked up there. And he still came out looking like a badly stitched flesh golem.

Any plastic surgeon that ended up with that as a result would have lost their license for malpractice.

Well, I think he still had his license when Jigsaw killed him after the bandages came off.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41224
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:40 am

Alvecia wrote:From what I understand based on what I've picked up reading comments on the trailer, he underwent a lot of plastic surgery for it.
There's a few factors.
First, it's a more modern incarnation of the Punisher, and it's incredible what people can do with surgery these days.
Second, the writers wanted to focus more on his emotional scars, which I can see being pretty fun done right. Especially since we see him talking to a therapist.
Thirdly, you don't hire Ben Barnes and then not show Ben Barnes. Also most actor contracts rely on them being seen. It's why in superhero movies, they have their mask off more than you'd think, and in space movies, they have lights on the inside of the helmet, and in cop movies, the main characters never wear face protection when storming a building with the SWAT team.


but I mean come now... they could have struck a BETTER balance

this does the character no justice, modern incarnation or not

He's JIGSAW (as in, his face is so messed up its like a jigsaw puzzle); he's supposed to be HIDEOUS

put in lots of handsome Ben Barnes flash back if you want but I'm fairly sure that they could have made him look ATROCIOUS and scary and still be a recognisable Ben Barnes no?

User avatar
Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20487
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:40 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Alvecia wrote:Any plastic surgeon that ended up with that as a result would have lost their license for malpractice.

Well, I think he still had his license when Jigsaw killed him after the bandages came off.

I think you're missing the point. The current iteration of the series is a modern and realistic one. No realistic plastic surgery would ever end up with anything that bad, and given Barnes' situation at the end of Punisher 1, there's no good reason he'd have any plastic surgery that would end up that bad.

User avatar
Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20487
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:44 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Alvecia wrote:From what I understand based on what I've picked up reading comments on the trailer, he underwent a lot of plastic surgery for it.
There's a few factors.
First, it's a more modern incarnation of the Punisher, and it's incredible what people can do with surgery these days.
Second, the writers wanted to focus more on his emotional scars, which I can see being pretty fun done right. Especially since we see him talking to a therapist.
Thirdly, you don't hire Ben Barnes and then not show Ben Barnes. Also most actor contracts rely on them being seen. It's why in superhero movies, they have their mask off more than you'd think, and in space movies, they have lights on the inside of the helmet, and in cop movies, the main characters never wear face protection when storming a building with the SWAT team.


but I mean come now... they could have struck a BETTER balance

this does the character no justice, modern incarnation or not

He's JIGSAW (as in, his face is so messed up its like a jigsaw puzzle); he's supposed to be HIDEOUS

put in lots of handsome Ben Barnes flash back if you want but I'm fairly sure that they could have made him look ATROCIOUS and scary and still be a recognisable Ben Barnes no?

Again, not really. Not realistically, given the series setting and progress. The MCU is pretty modern compared to the era in which many of these characters were created. If Jigsaw was created now, he's probably look something like this, just with more scars I imagine.

Stuff is always lost in translation when moving from comic to film. It took them three whole (film) iterations of Spiderman to be able to make one that could show emotions through his eyes, and justify it in universe.
Last edited by Alvecia on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads