NATION

PASSWORD

Thread for Gamers: Game, Set, and Match!

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 60299
Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Corporate Police State

Postby Imperializt Russia » Tue Sep 29, 2026 6:13 am

I genuinely don't believe consoles have delivered anything truly impressive in terms of advances since the PS2/Xbox made way to the PS3/X360.

The PS4/Xbone generation just felt incremental, after that massive shift the generation before it.
Nuclear power maximalist, radiation specialist. Now, I didn't say expert, did I?
Cat dad, socialist, angry man. Playing a game of Pong (1972) between the left-auth and left-lib quadrants of the Political Compass. ex-Samozaryadnyastan.

Angry at the world and highly depressed about it. It's a cruel, dark, cold place.
Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

User avatar
Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13654
Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Tue Sep 29, 2026 6:26 am

Been playing Fire Emblem Fortunes weave.

I think this might be their best campaign in modern fire emblem. Maybe not story or battle, but how it handles the in between. The world map gamble paid off, I like that the 4 characters get unique mecnanics on the map. For example, Cai gets the ability to capture animals and farm, while Dietrich got to hunt enemies and buff combat arts. Makes me think of total war warhammer oddly enough.

If you think that sounds mundane, its really not. Cai gets exclusive access to animals, letting him have the best cavalry in the game. Farming sounds mundane, but plays into the trade system to getting high quality gear without spending money. Dietrich can eventually teach his teammates combat arts, giving your team a bunch of unique abilities.

Battles I think hold up. I think Engage is better though. But that was the only thing Engage has over other games.

Story, I have yet to finish so Im withholding judgement.

Finished Dietrichs path part 1, working on Cai part 1. Story finishes when you play part 2
Name: Ted
Favorite posts:
Tarsonis wrote:
Bnei Noah wrote:
“Yeah, fuck old people” is a strange thing to hear from conservatives.


The implication was that Antifa operatives were snatching up old folks from retirement homes and wheeling them out to pad numbers. HT has trouble accepting that Americans object to far right authoritarianism
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

User avatar
Abserdia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21025
Founded: Aug 05, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Abserdia » Tue Sep 29, 2026 7:07 am

Imperializt Russia wrote:I genuinely don't believe consoles have delivered anything truly impressive in terms of advances since the PS2/Xbox made way to the PS3/X360.

The PS4/Xbone generation just felt incremental, after that massive shift the generation before it.

Counterpoint: the Switch can make it feel like there’s an ice cube in the controller.
Black lives matter

Recommend me shoegaze and ambient music.

E eu!
Gostava tanto de você
Gostava tanto de você

User avatar
Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 60299
Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Corporate Police State

Postby Imperializt Russia » Tue Sep 29, 2026 7:45 am

Abserdia wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:I genuinely don't believe consoles have delivered anything truly impressive in terms of advances since the PS2/Xbox made way to the PS3/X360.

The PS4/Xbone generation just felt incremental, after that massive shift the generation before it.

Counterpoint: the Switch can make it feel like there’s an ice cube in the controller.

To be fair, the Switch fulfils an absolute niche that the other consoles just aren't offering. Xbox had to launch a "new" "handheld" to compete, and I wouldn't consider it worthwhile personally over my gaming laptop.

Before I bought my laptop (which has supplanted my desktop PC for personal reasons, and has definite drawbacks over my PC), I trialled a ROG Ally, which the Xbox handheld is basically a variant of, and I fucking hated it. Didn't help that it basically didn't work out of the box.
Nuclear power maximalist, radiation specialist. Now, I didn't say expert, did I?
Cat dad, socialist, angry man. Playing a game of Pong (1972) between the left-auth and left-lib quadrants of the Political Compass. ex-Samozaryadnyastan.

Angry at the world and highly depressed about it. It's a cruel, dark, cold place.
Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

User avatar
Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13654
Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Tue Sep 29, 2026 7:49 am

Imperializt Russia wrote:
Abserdia wrote:Counterpoint: the Switch can make it feel like there’s an ice cube in the controller.

To be fair, the Switch fulfils an absolute niche that the other consoles just aren't offering. Xbox had to launch a "new" "handheld" to compete, and I wouldn't consider it worthwhile personally over my gaming laptop.

Before I bought my laptop (which has supplanted my desktop PC for personal reasons, and has definite drawbacks over my PC), I trialled a ROG Ally, which the Xbox handheld is basically a variant of, and I fucking hated it. Didn't help that it basically didn't work out of the box.

Yeah i have both a steam deck and switch 2. Mainly just play switch. Its platform just has more reliably working games.

Steamdeck is cool, i love the freedom and its super easy to set up. But its a massive letdown everytime a game you think. might work, doesnt. Its mainly used to emulate the patapon series for me now and play shadow of war on the go.
Name: Ted
Favorite posts:
Tarsonis wrote:
Bnei Noah wrote:
“Yeah, fuck old people” is a strange thing to hear from conservatives.


The implication was that Antifa operatives were snatching up old folks from retirement homes and wheeling them out to pad numbers. HT has trouble accepting that Americans object to far right authoritarianism
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

User avatar
Immoren
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 65027
Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Immoren » Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:41 am

Damn. going back to witcher 3 combat feels rough.
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

User avatar
Southland
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 1586
Founded: Oct 09, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southland » Tue Sep 29, 2026 6:33 pm

There's been a bit of trend where people are posting the nine games that shaped them. I'm curious to see what people's choices on here are. I'll try to post mine when I get the time.

The website used is found here: https://my9games.net/en/edit
Disserbia wrote:swaziland on acid and jesus


Ealdracaland wrote:I get a weird vibe from the sun on the flag. It feels like it's looking at me with malicious intent.
Verkhoyanska wrote:Condemn for having that creepy looking sun in your flag. IT'S STARING INTO MY SOUL.

Reloviskistan wrote:Unrelated: AN's flag looks like a mural on the wall of a Mexican restaurant

Valehart wrote:That flag's face is high on something that's illegal in most countries


Spiritkin Village wrote:Banned for you constantly implying you got all this lore, yet have no factbooks. Like at this point it is just a tease.
Novaya Tselinoyarsk wrote:In defiance everyone should go on protest with a Big Gulp.

(Image)

Now a proud author of 5 ½ game issues! And And is a gud editer of fft15n!

User avatar
Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13654
Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Wed Sep 30, 2026 7:56 am

Southland wrote:There's been a bit of trend where people are posting the nine games that shaped them. I'm curious to see what people's choices on here are. I'll try to post mine when I get the time.

The website used is found here: https://my9games.net/en/edit

Ill bite.
Image
Name: Ted
Favorite posts:
Tarsonis wrote:
Bnei Noah wrote:
“Yeah, fuck old people” is a strange thing to hear from conservatives.


The implication was that Antifa operatives were snatching up old folks from retirement homes and wheeling them out to pad numbers. HT has trouble accepting that Americans object to far right authoritarianism
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

User avatar
Yorsa II
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 408
Founded: Aug 16, 2026
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Yorsa II » Wed Sep 30, 2026 8:27 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Southland wrote:There's been a bit of trend where people are posting the nine games that shaped them. I'm curious to see what people's choices on here are. I'll try to post mine when I get the time.

The website used is found here: https://my9games.net/en/edit

Ill bite.
Image


omg Ratchet and Clank 3 is one of my favorite games ever. That franchise is incredible!

edit: I don't want to post a big image so I'll just state the games: Ratchet and clank 2002, Ratchet and Clank 3, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro The Dragon, Half-Life, Fallout New Vegas, Rise of Nations, and Super Mario Sunshine
Last edited by Yorsa II on Wed Sep 30, 2026 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
[She/Her] Yorsa II lore is terrible. Avoid
I: Hybrid 003 / The Heretic / The Queen
II: Hybrid 092 / Blessed Artillery / The Right Hand
III: Lt. Vulgore of the Glory / The Left Hand
IV: Hybrid 023 / The Emaciated Holy Figure / The Planet Grid
V: Hybrid 069 / Big Bow / Bull Dog Enforcer

The fires of self are never extinguished, only displaced

User avatar
Sectiyera
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 464
Founded: Oct 27, 2025
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sectiyera » Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:33 am

Image

Could probably use this as a reaction image
Last edited by Sectiyera on Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gürekj-Sektijeriva! (Glory to Sectiyera!)
Eating cement is good for you

Founded 1932. The most powerful nation in the Balkans. World-renowned airforce and special ops. NATO member state. Participated in NATO strikes against Serbia, Desert Storm, Desert Shield, Iraqi Freedom, and Enduring Freedom. Current year: 2026.
Class 2 civilization. (?)
Stats note: NationStates stats are not canon. Refer to factbooks or contact me directly.
British Columbian living in North Carolina. Boy. Computer geek, especially when it comes to hardware. Wikipedia editor (User:TheBrokenHDD). Stargate fan. Subaru hater. Right-wing. FREE ISRAEL.


Ask an OOC question | Request an English to Sectiyeran translation | earshit.

User avatar
Outer Armatonisdaristan
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8656
Founded: Dec 11, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Outer Armatonisdaristan » Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:58 am

Southland wrote:There's been a bit of trend where people are posting the nine games that shaped them. I'm curious to see what people's choices on here are. I'll try to post mine when I get the time.

The website used is found here: https://my9games.net/en/edit

Image

Any one of these where I get to put in Glitch Karts is automatically based.

(Motorsport Manager is there too because why the fuck not. And as for Asphalt 8, I’m not referring to the state of the game in 2026)
Last edited by Outer Armatonisdaristan on Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 54223
Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:02 am

Southland wrote:There's been a bit of trend where people are posting the nine games that shaped them. I'm curious to see what people's choices on here are. I'll try to post mine when I get the time.

The website used is found here: https://my9games.net/en/edit

Tried doing them in order. Made sense to me.
Image
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

User avatar
Southland
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 1586
Founded: Oct 09, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southland » Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:23 pm

As promised here's my list. I'm a fairly late bloomer when it comes to video games, with me really only getting into them in the past few years, which is why some of my choices are pretty recent. The arrangement is in no particular order.

Image
Disserbia wrote:swaziland on acid and jesus


Ealdracaland wrote:I get a weird vibe from the sun on the flag. It feels like it's looking at me with malicious intent.
Verkhoyanska wrote:Condemn for having that creepy looking sun in your flag. IT'S STARING INTO MY SOUL.

Reloviskistan wrote:Unrelated: AN's flag looks like a mural on the wall of a Mexican restaurant

Valehart wrote:That flag's face is high on something that's illegal in most countries


Spiritkin Village wrote:Banned for you constantly implying you got all this lore, yet have no factbooks. Like at this point it is just a tease.
Novaya Tselinoyarsk wrote:In defiance everyone should go on protest with a Big Gulp.

(Image)

Now a proud author of 5 ½ game issues! And And is a gud editer of fft15n!

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63185
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Oct 01, 2026 2:24 am

This is mine

If the link doesnt work ill just list them:

Halo Combat Evolved
Command & Conquer Red Alert
Warcraft 3
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
Halo Reach
Crusader Kings 2
Metro 2033
XCOM 2
Disco Elysium
Irish Nationalist from Belfast ■■■ / Leftwing / Atheist / Re-arm Europe
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020



I like Miniature painting, Tanks, Horse Girl racing (apparently), Video games and most importantly Cheese.


User avatar
Abserdia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21025
Founded: Aug 05, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Abserdia » Thu Oct 01, 2026 11:47 am

https://my9games.net/en/share/90909bbe- ... 72eabe152c

Aside from being my favorite thing on Steam and a gateway into other great VNs like Clannad and Muramasa, Umineko directly inspired me to start drawing, which led to me picking up music as well, and to start developing the story and setting ideas that float around in my head. Reading it and other VNs also got me reading more in general, like novels and history and theory...
For those reasons I'm breaking my rule of treating VNs as their own medium rather than as 'video games', just because Umineko is so much more influential on my day-to-day life than any actual video game ever has been. It's not even close.

If anyone ever checks it out, make sure you download the 07th-Mod for voice acting and your choice between the different official art styles. I recommend Ryukishi's original art, but that's an acquired taste. Just don't use the pachinko art that's default on Steam.
And avoid spoilers. A lot of it is spoilers. Some of the spoilers are very early and are actually used as primary selling points, but it's best to go in completely blind. It is "mystery vs fantasy", after all.

Touhou is a similar story, and I actually got into it because of Umineko! EoSD isn't necessarily my favorite game in the series but it's the first one I played, so I chose it over, like, PCB.
That sort of doujin ethos personified by the whole franchise is just really admirable to me. And of course, great games.

For the rest it's a bit more typical, I think. I could've included more games from my childhood or maybe replace DMC4 with an earlier game, but I feel alright about it.
Last edited by Abserdia on Thu Oct 01, 2026 12:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Black lives matter

Recommend me shoegaze and ambient music.

E eu!
Gostava tanto de você
Gostava tanto de você

User avatar
New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 11008
Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Fri Oct 02, 2026 12:54 am

With Wings of Theve already out and about and people bringing up the OST, I have my five Top Gun Ace Combat themes as follows:
  • Everflow - My current earworm.
  • Daredevil
  • Liberation of Gracemeria
  • White Devil - The track that introduced me to Ace Combat OSTs, aka "IT'S A GUNDAM!" but for Ace Combat.
  • Megalith Agnus Dei
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

NVI, he is a Player!

User avatar
Unogonduria
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10833
Founded: Jan 07, 2023
Democratic Socialists

Postby Unogonduria » Fri Oct 02, 2026 2:28 am

This is my list (excluding NationStates, of course!):
Image

Everything AFTER Portal are games I played before I began to play on my computer (since, after all, the question was games that shaped you, not your favourite games the past 2-3 years), with the exception of Minecraft, which I also played on my phone. To note, I don't play the latter 4 games anymore, with the exception of FNAF 3 from time to time.
Nature is beautiful. Praise the LORD!
And they were calling to one another: "Holy, Holy, Holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.” - Isaiah 6:3
NEVER FORGET!!!!
Embrace Tvrkic lingvistics + Indoevropean genetics
Be polite and humble. Please.
SapplyValues Political Compass Result - by far the most accurate political compass test on the internet, double checked with the results of the Bulgarian Political Compass!
Your local Soft Russophile
Even the return of the Ottoman Empire is prefferable to the return of the atheistic communist regimes throughout Europe.
Christ is King! ☦☦☦

User avatar
Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 60299
Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Corporate Police State

Postby Imperializt Russia » Fri Oct 02, 2026 12:24 pm

Imperializt Russia wrote:This isn't even the stupidest thing I've yet done.

That post will come later.

You were warned.

Asteroids are now clogging up my game. There is a series of rings above Kerbin at 330-660km of asteroids that are being mined for fuel, to refuel the refuelling platform.
These are the ones that were worth dragging that far. Many of them - small wastrels of objects - were caught on highly elliptical orbits, used for fuel (often less fuel than the manoeuvres spent to intercept them) and discarded on loose capture orbits.

Now, you can just delete asteroids from the game. Much like with the vessel/debris "Terminate" option in the Tracking Station, you can also do this to owned asteroids. But the time I wanted to do this, the option wasn't there for some reason, so I thought the game didn't let you.

I decided whether to try and nudge them onto escape/collision courses, then came up with a devious workaround. What if I built the smallest probe I could be bothered to construct, latch it onto an asteroid, creating a single combined entity under the control of the probe core, and then use the Terminate command on that?

I later found out that yes, the Terminate command does just work on asteroids, but I realised I could have some fun.

Meet my interplanetary nuclear missile.
Image
It has MIRVs. Though I guess technically they're not Re-entry Vehicles. It has MIKEs - Multiple Independent Kill Emissary expendable drones. It's a working title.
The lower stage is my all-purpose in-system launcher vehicle. Even though this thing has close to 4k dV once refuelled, some of these elliptical orbits are way out there and I needed more fuel to turn this into a viable bus delivery vehicle.

So I built what I realise in hindsight is a Burevestnik and launched it into space - I now have a nuclear-powered nuclear cruise missile.
Image
Each MIKE consists of an RCS fuel tank, four large RCS thruster blocks, a docking port and a grabber jr. Plus, obviously, the probe core, antenna, solar panels. 710kg wet mass per probe, and they're cosplaying as "nukes", Armageddon-style. I never saw Armageddon, I don't think. Each unit is capable of about 1,000m/s dV so in theory I don't even need to stop the main bus to deploy one in the path of an asteroid, I can launch it on just a basic intercept and save the match-velocity fuel.

It carries eight warheads; each one is named for a different piece of Asteroid-themed media.
We have:
  • Armageddon
  • Don't Look Up
  • Deep Impact
  • A Big Ball of Garbage
  • A Big Ball of Garbage II (the hypothetical future Futurama episode when the ball of garbage they fired comes back)
At this point I had to look up some asteroid-themed media on Wikipedia, resulting in the following movie titles:
Japy Ending (A Brazilian short stories compendium, apparently), Without Warning, and Starship Troopers - though I called that last one Buenos Aeries instead.
Here's images of the original test-deploy, A Big Ball of Garbage moving towards its target and then latched onto its target asteroid - EDL-371, an asteroid with barely 20t of fuel mass, that I already titled as "garbage", fittingly.
ImageImageImage

While this crazy little thing is chasing down the tiny rocks at the edge of Kerbin's SOI, I realised I should prepare a second mission to tackle near-Kerbin objects. So I built the CIWS launcher. I was really scraping the barrel for probe names on this one:
  • Without Warning
  • Atlantis: Milo's Return
  • Ben10 vs The Universe
  • Ice Age: Collision Course
  • Project A-ko
  • Your Name (which I renamed to Your Party, Huskar knows)
  • Moomins and the Comet Chase
  • The Orbital Children
Taken primarily from the Wikipedia list of "animated movies about impact events".
Because this one only ever has to bob around the more even orbits of Kerbin, this one did in fact stay on top of the original launch vehicle, my in-system-bus. Here it is approaching one such stable orbit asteroid.
Image
Deploying and transiting:
ImageImage
This one was the Moomin probe, incidentally. And now latched.
Image
The mining station is still attached to this asteroid... don't worry, there's a safety switch on the detonator. I think. The mining platform was eventually detached and transited over to a kiloton-sized magic asteroid, the one I captured a few posts back.
Nuclear power maximalist, radiation specialist. Now, I didn't say expert, did I?
Cat dad, socialist, angry man. Playing a game of Pong (1972) between the left-auth and left-lib quadrants of the Political Compass. ex-Samozaryadnyastan.

Angry at the world and highly depressed about it. It's a cruel, dark, cold place.
Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

User avatar
Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 54223
Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Oct 02, 2026 12:29 pm

Imperializt Russia wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:This isn't even the stupidest thing I've yet done.

That post will come later.

You were warned.

Asteroids are now clogging up my game. There is a series of rings above Kerbin at 330-660km of asteroids that are being mined for fuel, to refuel the refuelling platform.
These are the ones that were worth dragging that far. Many of them - small wastrels of objects - were caught on highly elliptical orbits, used for fuel (often less fuel than the manoeuvres spent to intercept them) and discarded on loose capture orbits.

Now, you can just delete asteroids from the game. Much like with the vessel/debris "Terminate" option in the Tracking Station, you can also do this to owned asteroids. But the time I wanted to do this, the option wasn't there for some reason, so I thought the game didn't let you.

I decided whether to try and nudge them onto escape/collision courses, then came up with a devious workaround. What if I built the smallest probe I could be bothered to construct, latch it onto an asteroid, creating a single combined entity under the control of the probe core, and then use the Terminate command on that?

I later found out that yes, the Terminate command does just work on asteroids, but I realised I could have some fun.

Meet my interplanetary nuclear missile.
Image
It has MIRVs. Though I guess technically they're not Re-entry Vehicles. It has MIKEs - Multiple Independent Kill Emissary expendable drones. It's a working title.
The lower stage is my all-purpose in-system launcher vehicle. Even though this thing has close to 4k dV once refuelled, some of these elliptical orbits are way out there and I needed more fuel to turn this into a viable bus delivery vehicle.

So I built what I realise in hindsight is a Burevestnik and launched it into space - I now have a nuclear-powered nuclear cruise missile.
Image
Each MIKE consists of an RCS fuel tank, four large RCS thruster blocks, a docking port and a grabber jr. Plus, obviously, the probe core, antenna, solar panels. 710kg wet mass per probe, and they're cosplaying as "nukes", Armageddon-style. I never saw Armageddon, I don't think. Each unit is capable of about 1,000m/s dV so in theory I don't even need to stop the main bus to deploy one in the path of an asteroid, I can launch it on just a basic intercept and save the match-velocity fuel.

It carries eight warheads; each one is named for a different piece of Asteroid-themed media.
We have:
  • Armageddon
  • Don't Look Up
  • Deep Impact
  • A Big Ball of Garbage
  • A Big Ball of Garbage II (the hypothetical future Futurama episode when the ball of garbage they fired comes back)
At this point I had to look up some asteroid-themed media on Wikipedia, resulting in the following movie titles:
Japy Ending (A Brazilian short stories compendium, apparently), Without Warning, and Starship Troopers - though I called that last one Buenos Aeries instead.
Here's images of the original test-deploy, A Big Ball of Garbage moving towards its target and then latched onto its target asteroid - EDL-371, an asteroid with barely 20t of fuel mass, that I already titled as "garbage", fittingly.
ImageImageImage

While this crazy little thing is chasing down the tiny rocks at the edge of Kerbin's SOI, I realised I should prepare a second mission to tackle near-Kerbin objects. So I built the CIWS launcher. I was really scraping the barrel for probe names on this one:
  • Without Warning
  • Atlantis: Milo's Return
  • Ben10 vs The Universe
  • Ice Age: Collision Course
  • Project A-ko
  • Your Name (which I renamed to Your Party, Huskar knows)
  • Moomins and the Comet Chase
  • The Orbital Children
Taken primarily from the Wikipedia list of "animated movies about impact events".
Because this one only ever has to bob around the more even orbits of Kerbin, this one did in fact stay on top of the original launch vehicle, my in-system-bus. Here it is approaching one such stable orbit asteroid.
Image
Deploying and transiting:
ImageImage
This one was the Moomin probe, incidentally. And now latched.
Image
The mining station is still attached to this asteroid... don't worry, there's a safety switch on the detonator. I think. The mining platform was eventually detached and transited over to a kiloton-sized magic asteroid, the one I captured a few posts back.

You know, I'm always impressed seeing posts of people actually good at this game. I've never even got to the moon successfully.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

User avatar
Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 60299
Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Corporate Police State

Postby Imperializt Russia » Fri Oct 02, 2026 12:43 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:You were warned.

Asteroids are now clogging up my game. There is a series of rings above Kerbin at 330-660km of asteroids that are being mined for fuel, to refuel the refuelling platform.
These are the ones that were worth dragging that far. Many of them - small wastrels of objects - were caught on highly elliptical orbits, used for fuel (often less fuel than the manoeuvres spent to intercept them) and discarded on loose capture orbits.

Now, you can just delete asteroids from the game. Much like with the vessel/debris "Terminate" option in the Tracking Station, you can also do this to owned asteroids. But the time I wanted to do this, the option wasn't there for some reason, so I thought the game didn't let you.

I decided whether to try and nudge them onto escape/collision courses, then came up with a devious workaround. What if I built the smallest probe I could be bothered to construct, latch it onto an asteroid, creating a single combined entity under the control of the probe core, and then use the Terminate command on that?

I later found out that yes, the Terminate command does just work on asteroids, but I realised I could have some fun.

Meet my interplanetary nuclear missile.
Image
It has MIRVs. Though I guess technically they're not Re-entry Vehicles. It has MIKEs - Multiple Independent Kill Emissary expendable drones. It's a working title.
The lower stage is my all-purpose in-system launcher vehicle. Even though this thing has close to 4k dV once refuelled, some of these elliptical orbits are way out there and I needed more fuel to turn this into a viable bus delivery vehicle.

So I built what I realise in hindsight is a Burevestnik and launched it into space - I now have a nuclear-powered nuclear cruise missile.
Image
Each MIKE consists of an RCS fuel tank, four large RCS thruster blocks, a docking port and a grabber jr. Plus, obviously, the probe core, antenna, solar panels. 710kg wet mass per probe, and they're cosplaying as "nukes", Armageddon-style. I never saw Armageddon, I don't think. Each unit is capable of about 1,000m/s dV so in theory I don't even need to stop the main bus to deploy one in the path of an asteroid, I can launch it on just a basic intercept and save the match-velocity fuel.

It carries eight warheads; each one is named for a different piece of Asteroid-themed media.
We have:
  • Armageddon
  • Don't Look Up
  • Deep Impact
  • A Big Ball of Garbage
  • A Big Ball of Garbage II (the hypothetical future Futurama episode when the ball of garbage they fired comes back)
At this point I had to look up some asteroid-themed media on Wikipedia, resulting in the following movie titles:
Japy Ending (A Brazilian short stories compendium, apparently), Without Warning, and Starship Troopers - though I called that last one Buenos Aeries instead.
Here's images of the original test-deploy, A Big Ball of Garbage moving towards its target and then latched onto its target asteroid - EDL-371, an asteroid with barely 20t of fuel mass, that I already titled as "garbage", fittingly.
ImageImageImage

While this crazy little thing is chasing down the tiny rocks at the edge of Kerbin's SOI, I realised I should prepare a second mission to tackle near-Kerbin objects. So I built the CIWS launcher. I was really scraping the barrel for probe names on this one:
  • Without Warning
  • Atlantis: Milo's Return
  • Ben10 vs The Universe
  • Ice Age: Collision Course
  • Project A-ko
  • Your Name (which I renamed to Your Party, Huskar knows)
  • Moomins and the Comet Chase
  • The Orbital Children
Taken primarily from the Wikipedia list of "animated movies about impact events".
Because this one only ever has to bob around the more even orbits of Kerbin, this one did in fact stay on top of the original launch vehicle, my in-system-bus. Here it is approaching one such stable orbit asteroid.
Image
Deploying and transiting:
ImageImage
This one was the Moomin probe, incidentally. And now latched.
Image
The mining station is still attached to this asteroid... don't worry, there's a safety switch on the detonator. I think. The mining platform was eventually detached and transited over to a kiloton-sized magic asteroid, the one I captured a few posts back.

You know, I'm always impressed seeing posts of people actually good at this game. I've never even got to the moon successfully.

Good, I am not.

I've gotten overly reliant on using MechJeb, which allows you to basically turn KSP into an idle game. "Plot this complex intercept for me" "yes master" "now make it so" "yes master"
It's very effective as a space captain game in this manner, I suppose, or the day-to-day NASA crew flight experience in non-emergency situations, ie, preplanned from the Goddard Flight Centre.

I still haven't sent a single Kerbal outside of Kerbin's SOI! I have still yet to send Kerbals beyond Minmus. I've got a couple of probe missions going out, I have launched a Duna and Jool probe mission and waiting for the transfer window for an Eve probe mission, but I've already maxed out the tech tree.

My suicide comet lander from the previous post will be the first to slip the surly bonds of Kerbin and touch the face of Geofdocks-Macksie-Gerber-1 (the comet he's going to meet).

I originally abandoned KSP at about 200 hours and having never made it past Minmus in that save either. I cannot overstate how good danl - a small YT channel I had no reason to have pushed to me around the time of the Artemis mission - was at inspiring me to start over. I copied a lot of his tips and tricks and influenced my design instincts, encouraging me to simplify my craft.
Now I'm up to 750 hours, all that new time in a single current save.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO6jBiYlei7SSMwerjgZV7qgLWKjzG71e
Nuclear power maximalist, radiation specialist. Now, I didn't say expert, did I?
Cat dad, socialist, angry man. Playing a game of Pong (1972) between the left-auth and left-lib quadrants of the Political Compass. ex-Samozaryadnyastan.

Angry at the world and highly depressed about it. It's a cruel, dark, cold place.
Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads