NATION

PASSWORD

Star Wars: The Force Shall Free Us All

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

If you could have a legacy upon the Star Wars galaxy, how would you want to be remembered?

As the fearless Jedi Knight, first into the fight against evil
4%
As the peacemaking Jedi Master
13%
As the shadow that lurks in the dark, influencing the galaxy with subtlety
11%
As the Sith Master that reveals themselves and dominates all opposition
21%
As the rogue who finds their fortune
2%
As the crime boss who lavishes in luxury
1%
As the bounty hunter that lives long enough to retire
8%
As the veteran soldier who fights for their cause for a lifetime
12%
As the daredevil explorer, placing their lives on the line to map the galaxy and reshape its very structure
12%
Dude, this galaxy's frickin' crazy, just let me be a normal civilian
15%

Total votes : 84

Ism
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ism » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:00 am

Andsed wrote:
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I heart Mauler, Sargon and E;R. The more sympathetic to fascism Star Wars films are the better. Fascism is very much in the spirit of Star Wars.

I am so confused on what your trying to say right now.

Seems to be implying fans of Mauler, Sargon and E;R are fascists, or at least fascist sympathizers, and have no idea what Star Wars is about.

The first Galactic Republic wrote:If they are Sith troopers, I’m hoping there’s a reason for it besides an upgrade. Kylo really makes a point of wanting to tear down past traditions at the end of VIII, so it’d be rather schizophrenic if he suddenly went “Look at my new guys! I’ll call them Sith troopers.”

He goes from worshipping the past in TFA to wanting to “kill” it in TLJ, with the only apparent cause for this massive change being Snoke mocking him and his helmet. Guy’s already nuts. Wouldn’t be surprised in the least if he switched back to his previous beliefs, or if he was only saying that to try and corrupt Rey. This guy did spend the whole movie emotionally manipulating her to try and maneuver her into a position where she would fall to the Dark Side. Would be in character for him to do it again.

Vassenor wrote:
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I heart Mauler, Sargon and E;R. The more sympathetic to fascism Star Wars films are the better. Fascism is very much in the spirit of Star Wars.

Where the hell do you get "sympathetic to fascism" from a film series that has consistently treated the fascists as cartoonishly evil villains?

I can only hazard a guess that this is a drawback of giving the bad guys the cooler toys.

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:57 am

The Biggles Syndicate wrote:

I'm assuming they're going to take the role of Kuva Shock/Elite Troopers in Episode 9.

I bet you the ARC Troopers could still kick their ass though.

Depends, are we talking about ARCs like Alpha-17(Republic comics) and the Muunilist 10('03 Clone Wars), or the ARCs from TCW?
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:06 am

What the hell are you talking about?
Last edited by Fedel on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:33 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:If they are Sith troopers, I’m hoping there’s a reason for it besides an upgrade. Kylo really makes a point of wanting to tear down past traditions at the end of VIII, so it’d be rather schizophrenic if he suddenly went “Look at my new guys! I’ll call them Sith troopers.”

Good point but the name Sith comes from the alien race from which the dark side organization adopted it IIRC.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:45 pm

Fedel wrote:

Summertime has spread to year round residents I assume.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

The Biggles Syndicate
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Biggles Syndicate » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:11 pm

Dylar wrote:
The Biggles Syndicate wrote:I'm assuming they're going to take the role of Kuva Shock/Elite Troopers in Episode 9.

I bet you the ARC Troopers could still kick their ass though.

Depends, are we talking about ARCs like Alpha-17(Republic comics) and the Muunilist 10('03 Clone Wars), or the ARCs from TCW?

I'm thinking the Muunilist 10 first, then the other.

Ism
Negotiator

Postby Ism » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:27 pm

-Ocelot- wrote:

Good point but the name Sith comes from the alien race from which the dark side organization adopted it IIRC.

Not in the new canon. Just the name of the Dark side adepts who defected from the Jedi.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:32 pm

I seriously hope they plan on going somewhere with Kylo abandoning the "let the past die" shit because i'm still disappointed that rian came up with such a good idea and shat it out of the plot 15 minutes later.

Also Rey should have joined him in "letting the past die". Would have been nice to see a twist in these fucking movies.
Then again Grey Jedi aren't exactly a miracle solution.
Also give her a fucking doubleblade already it is damn annoying to see her swing a sword around like a staff.
Anarchist

Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"

Dylar
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:35 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:I seriously hope they plan on going somewhere with Kylo abandoning the "let the past die" shit because i'm still disappointed that rian came up with such a good idea and shat it out of the plot 15 minutes later.

Also Rey should have joined him in "letting the past die". Would have been nice to see a twist in these fucking movies.
Also give her a fucking doubleblade already it is damn annoying to see her swing a sword around like a staff.

Give her a saberpike so she doesn't hurt herself with the extra blade

Edit:damned autocorrect
Last edited by Dylar on Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:Also give her a fucking doubleblade already it is damn annoying to see her swing a sword around like a staff.

While that would be neat, I don't see it happening. I mean if we're going by strictly movie canon, only one guy has been seen using it. And that was like 50 years ago in the timeline. And everyone who saw him use it is dead. Who would teach her?
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:48 pm

Dylar wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:I seriously hope they plan on going somewhere with Kylo abandoning the "let the past die" shit because i'm still disappointed that rian came up with such a good idea and shat it out of the plot 15 minutes later.

Give her a saberpike so she doesn't hurt herself with the extra blade

Which type of Saberpike? The ones used by Zakuul in TOR or the ones used by the temple guard?

Ameriganastan wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Also give her a fucking doubleblade already it is damn annoying to see her swing a sword around like a staff.

While that would be neat, I don't see it happening. I mean if we're going by strictly movie canon, only one guy has been seen using it. And that was like 50 years ago in the timeline. And everyone who saw him use it is dead. Who would teach her?

That is very true, but the new EU likes to shit out jedi survivors like its nothing so there is a chance there. Really the only challenge would be her building it, she likely could learn to use one by herself just like Luke didn't need Ben or Yoda's example to become a good with a lightsaber.
Anarchist

Dylar
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:30 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Dylar wrote:Give her a saberpike so she doesn't hurt herself with the extra blade

Which type of Saberpike? The ones used by Zakuul in TOR or the ones used by the temple guard?

Personally I'd like to have her use the Zakuul pike, but the temple guard pike would still be cool to see...

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:26 pm

Dylar wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Which type of Saberpike? The ones used by Zakuul in TOR or the ones used by the temple guard?

Personally I'd like to have her use the Zakuul pike, but the temple guard pike would still be cool to see...

That'd be badass to see a saber pike especially since it'd give her a soft counter to Ren's saber.
Speaking of Ren I'm hoping I'm not the only one who likes his fighting style. He swings that saber around with such force to the point I wish it was a true two-handed weapon.
Anarchist

Ism
Negotiator

Postby Ism » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:37 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Dylar wrote:Personally I'd like to have her use the Zakuul pike, but the temple guard pike would still be cool to see...

That'd be badass to see a saber pike especially since it'd give her a soft counter to Ren's saber.
Speaking of Ren I'm hoping I'm not the only one who likes his fighting style. He swings that saber around with such force to the point I wish it was a true two-handed weapon.

Ren's style is interesting, it's a bit like what I'd expect from a less glacial Vader. Which is fitting. I never liked the cross-guard saber though.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:15 am

Ism wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:That'd be badass to see a saber pike especially since it'd give her a soft counter to Ren's saber.

Ren's style is interesting, it's a bit like what I'd expect from a less glacial Vader. Which is fitting. I never liked the cross-guard saber though.

I more roll my eyes at the lore than the cross-guard itself. All the jedi and sith who lost hands would kill for a crossguard on the saber. hand protection is especially vital when its a lightsaber and cuts the whole hand if not arm off rather than slice the fingers. I mean Ezra had a neat baskethilt for his even if i stopped watching rebels after season 2 or 3 because college so idk if it was lightsaber resistant.
Speaking of lightsaber resistance i heard the new canon retconned cortosis and possibly several other lightsaber resistant materials.
Anarchist

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:26 am

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Dylar wrote:Give her a saberpike so she doesn't hurt herself with the extra blade

Ameriganastan wrote:While that would be neat, I don't see it happening. I mean if we're going by strictly movie canon, only one guy has been seen using it. And that was like 50 years ago in the timeline. And everyone who saw him use it is dead. Who would teach her?

That is very true, but the new EU likes to shit out jedi survivors like its nothing so there is a chance there. Really the only challenge would be her building it, she likely could learn to use one by herself just like Luke didn't need Ben or Yoda's example to become a good with a lightsaber.

Reminder that current canon has at least one regular Jedi using doublesabers.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:17 am

Vassenor wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Which type of Saberpike? The ones used by Zakuul in TOR or the ones used by the temple guard?

Reminder that current canon has at least one regular Jedi using doublesabers.

Ameri did say movie canon.
Anarchist

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:14 am

At this point I wasn't aware there was a distinction. Disney's net for what we used to call G-Canon is a lot wider than just the films.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:39 am

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Fedel wrote:

Summertime has spread to year round residents I assume.

Well, no, because antifascism is the total opposite of Summertime. There seem to be a couple of people in this thread with an extremely limited ability to perceive sarcasm. I guess it's a spectrum thing?

Anyway, I'm checking out of the misogynist pit again. I'm not cognitively impaired enough to deal with people as smart as you and Vass any more.
Platypus of the non-venomous, egg-laying variety
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I will never stop being a gay platypus.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Ostroeuropa wrote:"Can we just eat SOME of the rich?"

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:40 am

Ism wrote:
-Ocelot- wrote:

Not in the new canon. Just the name of the Dark side adepts who defected from the Jedi.

I had to check and you are correct. I can't believe the Sith are no longer canonical.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:45 am

Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Summertime has spread to year round residents I assume.

Well, no, because antifascism is the total opposite of Summertime. There seem to be a couple of people in this thread with an extremely limited ability to perceive sarcasm. I guess it's a spectrum thing?

Anyway, I'm checking out of the misogynist pit again. I'm not cognitively impaired enough to deal with people as smart as you and Vass any more.

Hiding barbs behind sarcasm doesn't make them OK.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:21 am

Vassenor wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Ameri did say movie canon.

At this point I wasn't aware there was a distinction. Disney's net for what we used to call G-Canon is a lot wider than just the films.

I specifically meant what happened in the movies. I know the official canon has become monstrously big, so I just specify the movies.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:11 am

-Ocelot- wrote:
Ism wrote:

I had to check and you are correct. I can't believe the Sith are no longer canonical.

Wait they arent? What the hell? Ugh. No wonder I only really give a damn about legends anymore.

But isnt korriban still canon? And the original Sith and their tombs and all that? Did guys like Naga Sadow just get retconned to being full human?
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:09 am

Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Summertime has spread to year round residents I assume.

Oh grow the fuck up.

But hey maybe you will come back in another 2 1/2 months to complain about something you imagined again. We can make a holiday about it and make bets.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:11 am

Highever wrote:
-Ocelot- wrote:

Wait they arent? What the hell? Ugh. No wonder I only really give a damn about legends anymore.

But isnt korriban still canon? And the original Sith and their tombs and all that? Did guys like Naga Sadow just get retconned to being full human?

It is, though i believe the canon name is Moraband iirc think lucas changed it to that for the clone wars show.

Naga Shadow and stuff tho are legends material. Bane is canon though, he showed up as force ghost kind of thing in clone wars too i believe. Those are the episodes ive not seen tho so im not sure.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction