NATION

PASSWORD

Legitimate complaints about the General forum

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:01 pm

This is where I'm getting caught up in Muravyets's posts. She's right, of course in that we should be talking along those lines. The problem is we already are, so the confrontational aspect just knocks me off-balance.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:16 pm

Czardas wrote:
Muravyets wrote:Instead of the moderation team deciding what we NSGers want, why not pick up on the suggestion that several others have made herein that we let the community decide what it wants to be?

That's... more or less what we're doing, isn't it?

Almost every suggestion in this thread has involved the relaxing of moderation to some degree (not moving X threads to Forum 7, being more lenient on picspam et cetera). What's being discussed "behind closed doors" is basically which rules should be relaxed in order to allow the community the greatest possible opportunity to decide what it wants to be without disrupting the operation of the site for everyone else. For instance, this thread alone has produced suggestions like "flaming should be permitted" and "divide NSG into two or three subforums", which would be relaxations of the rules that would most likely hurt the community instead of helping it.

We're not discussing the changes in this thread for one rather simple reason: when posting with moderation accounts in threads relating to site policy, moderators are essentially representatives of NS itself. Any post by a moderator in such a thread can be taken as a ruling. In this case there's as yet nothing we can rule on: it's mostly just "I think we should do this, but not this" "Agreed" "On this one forum I used to moderate, blah blah blah" "That's a terrible idea and you should feel bad for endorsing it" etc. Once a consensus is reached we'll post our proposal here and you can pick it apart if you like. If it meets with widespread disapproval, we return to the drafting board.

I don't see how much more transparent the process can be made unless you want us to start keeping minutes or something.

If you read the whole of my posts, you'll see that I am not the one arguing in favor of moderation deliberations in public.

Rather, I am arguing against moderation deliberation on forum culture matters beyond what already exists in the rules. I was responding specifically to the tongue-in-cheek remark to the effect of "tell us what you guys want, or we'll figure it out for you." I was saying that we don't need moderation to figure out what we want for us, when it comes to the culture in General. In fact, I think having anyone other than the players try to direct or arrange that aspect would be counter-productive.

NS already has a perfectly workable set of definitions of how the different forum sections work. There is no need for moderation to police or try to set up or otherwise contribute to a culture for any given section except by enforcing the rules of moderation. In terms of how much socializing versus "serious" debate is in General, let the interests of the players determine that by what threads they post in, just the same as we currently determine the popularity of any thread.

In addition, my post addressed two more points which had been raised, offering additional perspective on them, which apparently were not deemed worth acknowledging (or perhaps reading at all) by NERVUN (and others, perhaps? I'm not sure).
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:24 pm

Geniasis wrote:This is where I'm getting caught up in Muravyets's posts. She's right, of course in that we should be talking along those lines. The problem is we already are, so the confrontational aspect just knocks me off-balance.

Maybe what you're caught up on is seeing past how someone talks to what they are saying. That is one of my big peeves with many people in NS. To me, getting hung up on things like "oh, it's so confrontational" is right up there with complaining on an international forum that people don't have good English grammar. Seriously, who cares? What is the message the person is trying to deliver -- that's what matters, isn't it? So I talk in a blunt and harsh manner -- so what? There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of people I interact with annually, in person and in writing, who don't seem to have a problem dealing with the way I talk, whether they like it or not. Lots of NSers express themselves in a way that tweaks my nerves, but their style is not the point of our conversation, so I do my best to let it go, to try to see past the speaker to the meat of what they are saying. Maybe that's another thing some of us could try to be a little kinder and more thick-skinned about -- accepting that people express themselves differently, and we may not always enjoy it, but it's not really all that important. Just a thought.
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Muravyets wrote:In addition, my post addressed two more points which had been raised, offering additional perspective on them, which apparently were not deemed worth acknowledging (or perhaps reading at all) by NERVUN (and others, perhaps? I'm not sure).

I have been holding off on responding because everytime I have read your posts, I have gotten hot under the collar. Too hot to maintain the tone that is expected of a Moderator, but you know what... If I may quote a sailor, I've taken all that I can stands, and I can't stands no more.

I'm not sure that you remember where I am, nor am I sure that you know the time difference between Japan and your location, but my original post was made at 8:15am on Tuesday. I posted quickly trying to note that we are taking player's points of view very seriously and that the closed door stuff is the Moderator guidelines that we need to do our jobs.

Then I went running down the hall because today is when I tested each and every one of my first year students, all 160+ of them, one by one. So instead of being rude, I was being busy and trying to respond to what I thought was a quick point I could make before I went off to do what I am supposed to be doing, teaching.

So, no, Mura, I still do not get where I supposedly was blowing off everyone in General, especially as I have been asking for input from anyone who wanders into this thread to find out just what is the concensus that people want.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:32 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Czardas wrote:That's... more or less what we're doing, isn't it?

Almost every suggestion in this thread has involved the relaxing of moderation to some degree (not moving X threads to Forum 7, being more lenient on picspam et cetera). What's being discussed "behind closed doors" is basically which rules should be relaxed in order to allow the community the greatest possible opportunity to decide what it wants to be without disrupting the operation of the site for everyone else. For instance, this thread alone has produced suggestions like "flaming should be permitted" and "divide NSG into two or three subforums", which would be relaxations of the rules that would most likely hurt the community instead of helping it.

We're not discussing the changes in this thread for one rather simple reason: when posting with moderation accounts in threads relating to site policy, moderators are essentially representatives of NS itself. Any post by a moderator in such a thread can be taken as a ruling. In this case there's as yet nothing we can rule on: it's mostly just "I think we should do this, but not this" "Agreed" "On this one forum I used to moderate, blah blah blah" "That's a terrible idea and you should feel bad for endorsing it" etc. Once a consensus is reached we'll post our proposal here and you can pick it apart if you like. If it meets with widespread disapproval, we return to the drafting board.

I don't see how much more transparent the process can be made unless you want us to start keeping minutes or something.

If you read the whole of my posts, you'll see that I am not the one arguing in favor of moderation deliberations in public.

You're right. I believe that was Vonners. That post can be addressed at him instead. <.<

Rather, I am arguing against moderation deliberation on forum culture matters beyond what already exists in the rules. I was responding specifically to the tongue-in-cheek remark to the effect of "tell us what you guys want, or we'll figure it out for you." I was saying that we don't need moderation to figure out what we want for us, when it comes to the culture in General. In fact, I think having anyone other than the players try to direct or arrange that aspect would be counter-productive.

NS already has a perfectly workable set of definitions of how the different forum sections work. There is no need for moderation to police or try to set up or otherwise contribute to a culture for any given section except by enforcing the rules of moderation.

The rules of moderation are what is being discussed at present -- more specifically, how to change them.

As you seem to have recognised NERVUN's remark as tongue-in-cheek, I hesitate to speculate on why you chose to respond to it in such a confrontational manner nonetheless. It's not physically possible for us to set up a culture for any one forum after all (not without a much higher mod-to-player ratio, anyway <.<)

In terms of how much socializing versus "serious" debate is in General, let the interests of the players determine that by what threads they post in, just the same as we currently determine the popularity of any thread.

... which is a point that's also been emphasized in the discussions in M/A.

In addition, my post addressed two more points which had been raised, offering additional perspective on them, which apparently were not deemed worth acknowledging (or perhaps reading at all) by NERVUN (and others, perhaps? I'm not sure).

Your other points weren't acknowledged because they are quite similar to other points that were acknowledged earlier, most likely. "It's not realistic to expect players to be equally comfortable in all forums" = yeah, I think Ballotonia brought that up first. Its follow-up in the last paragraph is more or less what, in particular, Sarkhaan has been driving at all along. In terms of analysis you go somewhat deeper, I think -- as is to be expected from anyone aware of your contributions to NS -- but I don't think there's anything in your post fundamentally different from everything else that's been said, which I imagine NERVUN also recognised. It's also possible he lacked the time to address your post in depth.
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:40 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Muravyets wrote:In addition, my post addressed two more points which had been raised, offering additional perspective on them, which apparently were not deemed worth acknowledging (or perhaps reading at all) by NERVUN (and others, perhaps? I'm not sure).

I have been holding off on responding because everytime I have read your posts, I have gotten hot under the collar. Too hot to maintain the tone that is expected of a Moderator, but you know what... If I may quote a sailor, I've taken all that I can stands, and I can't stands no more.

I'm not sure that you remember where I am, nor am I sure that you know the time difference between Japan and your location, but my original post was made at 8:15am on Tuesday. I posted quickly trying to note that we are taking player's points of view very seriously and that the closed door stuff is the Moderator guidelines that we need to do our jobs.

Then I went running down the hall because today is when I tested each and every one of my first year students, all 160+ of them, one by one. So instead of being rude, I was being busy and trying to respond to what I thought was a quick point I could make before I went off to do what I am supposed to be doing, teaching.

So, no, Mura, I still do not get where I supposedly was blowing off everyone in General, especially as I have been asking for input from anyone who wanders into this thread to find out just what is the concensus that people want.

But it did not occur to you that you should have not posted at all until you had time?

You must know that the details of your working day are not visible to the posters in NS, so I'm not exactly clear on why you're citing them as an explanation of your actions in NS now, as if (A) I should have known how busy you are, or (B) the fact that you chose to post when you had no time for it somehow excuses the fact that you took a moment to post a bit of snark that was completely off base to the post you were snarkin' on.

Look, NERVUN, I'm sorry, but there's my original post, and there's your original response to it, and never the twain shall meet in reality-land. And yes, that level of missing the point on the part of a long-term moderator does bode ill, in my opinion, for any involvement of moderation in any question of improving the culture of NSG. And that's regardless of whether you did it on purpose or not.

Or if you prefer, we could conclude that you were in fact not telling the whole of General to go blow. Just one poster. Whichever you like better, is fine with me.
Last edited by Muravyets on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:58 pm

Czardas wrote:
Muravyets wrote:If you read the whole of my posts, you'll see that I am not the one arguing in favor of moderation deliberations in public.

You're right. I believe that was Vonners. That post can be addressed at him instead. <.<

Thank you.

NS already has a perfectly workable set of definitions of how the different forum sections work. There is no need for moderation to police or try to set up or otherwise contribute to a culture for any given section except by enforcing the rules of moderation.

The rules of moderation are what is being discussed at present -- more specifically, how to change them.

What's to change (rhetorical question)? If General is discussion and F7 is chat/games, then just stop moving discussion threads that not politics out of General. Leave them where they are to sink or swim just like any other moderated discussion thread. All other rules surely can stay the same, yes? This is a matter of making less work, not more.

As you seem to have recognised NERVUN's remark as tongue-in-cheek, I hesitate to speculate on why you chose to respond to it in such a confrontational manner nonetheless. It's not physically possible for us to set up a culture for any one forum after all (not without a much higher mod-to-player ratio, anyway <.<)

Sorry, not correct. I did not respond to the tongue-in-cheek remark in a confrontational manner. I responded to NERVUN's rather condescending and obviously wrong statement that I was off-topic in a manner that reflected the offense I took at his ignoring the content of my post, which actually was on-topic.

In terms of how much socializing versus "serious" debate is in General, let the interests of the players determine that by what threads they post in, just the same as we currently determine the popularity of any thread.

... which is a point that's also been emphasized in the discussions in M/A.

Which is of little interest until you have a conclusion, as access to your chats is Vonners' issue, not mine. It is also not actually germane to my complaint, which is NOT -- I repeat, NOT -- the subject of my original post.

Your other points weren't acknowledged because they are quite similar to other points that were acknowledged earlier, most likely. "It's not realistic to expect players to be equally comfortable in all forums" = yeah, I think Ballotonia brought that up first. Its follow-up in the last paragraph is more or less what, in particular, Sarkhaan has been driving at all along. In terms of analysis you go somewhat deeper, I think -- as is to be expected from anyone aware of your contributions to NS -- but I don't think there's anything in your post fundamentally different from everything else that's been said, which I imagine NERVUN also recognised. It's also possible he lacked the time to address your post in depth.

Hehehehe, yeah, not buying it. The content of NERVUN's post was clear, and by excising the rest of my post without acknowledgement, it is perfectly reasonable to believe that he was telling me off for being entirely off-topic. You can say my statements were redundant, even boring, if you want, but you can't say they were off-topic, which is what NERVUN did -- and rudely so.

Now he has acknowledged that he posted that at a time when, frankly, he probably should not have been posting in NS but, tbh, that does not make it better. And further frankly, the fact that now two additional mods have seen fit to pursue an argument that is actually now entirely off topic and to inflate one player making a complaint about the handling of an example of player input into some kind of a major debate, instead of just letting the post stand and either be taken into consideration or dropped as unimportant, is also not making the view look any brighter.

Now I don't know how you guys feel about this, but I'm not really interested in continuing to enable this threadjack. I made my argument. Nothing so far that has been said counter to it has made me question my interpretation of events. So, I stand by my statements. I'm prepared to leave it at that and let others make of it what they like, if anything.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:10 pm

Muravyets wrote:Maybe what you're caught up on is seeing past how someone talks to what they are saying.

You seem to have misunderstood my post, so it appears that I am not caught up on that.

That is one of my big peeves with many people in NS. To me, getting hung up on things like "oh, it's so confrontational" is right up there with complaining on an international forum that people don't have good English grammar. Seriously, who cares? What is the message the person is trying to deliver -- that's what matters, isn't it? So I talk in a blunt and harsh manner -- so what? There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of people I interact with annually, in person and in writing, who don't seem to have a problem dealing with the way I talk, whether they like it or not. Lots of NSers express themselves in a way that tweaks my nerves, but their style is not the point of our conversation, so I do my best to let it go, to try to see past the speaker to the meat of what they are saying. Maybe that's another thing some of us could try to be a little kinder and more thick-skinned about -- accepting that people express themselves differently, and we may not always enjoy it, but it's not really all that important. Just a thought.

Ironically, you're missing the actual content of my message. I wasn't discussing the method in which you delivered your post. By "confrontational" I was referring to the fact that you framed your post in such a way as to make it seem that we were acting in a way opposed to the suggestions you brought forward. We were not doing anything of the kind, so your criticism was thusly lost on me.

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:31 pm

Was randomly instructed to look at this thread again after having ignored it for sometime, heh, and I happened to have a thought:

In addition to the introducing thread another thing the other forums I visit have is a Status thread, which I think could be fun for discussing the happenings of people's days, and general chit-chat(pun intended, ;) ). Just a thought, ^_^

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:37 pm

The real irony, Geniasis, is that you think I think you said the exact opposite of what you said, when in fact, what you think I said is the exact opposite of what I said. This kind of Gordion knot of confusion is why I always end with just telling people to go back and read the thread. And in fact, I do have a history of cases in which I've wrangled with someone for hours, even days, until I finally just refuse to keep at it and just tell them, "This is my stance, end of. Read the thread." And like a week or so later, they come back to me and say, "Heh, yeah, you're right, that wasn't what I thought it was."

That's where I'm at in this kerfluffle now. I stand by my statements -- ALL of them. Read the thread until my point becomes clear. Or don't, whatever you wish. But continuing to argue will get us nowhere because, see above. It's called we're talking at cross-purposes to each other.
Last edited by Muravyets on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:56 pm

Muravyets wrote:The real irony, Geniasis, is that you think I think you said the exact opposite of what you said, when in fact, what you think I said is the exact opposite of what I said. This kind of Gordion knot of confusion is why I always end with just telling people to go back and read the thread. And in fact, I do have a history of cases in which I've wrangled with someone for hours, even days, until I finally just refuse to keep at it and just tell them, "This is my stance, end of. Read the thread." And like a week or so later, they come back to me and say, "Heh, yeah, you're right, that wasn't what I thought it was."

True. Perhaps this is indeed the case. I respectfully submit that perhaps the opposite is also true.

That's where I'm at in this kerfluffle now. I stand by my statements -- ALL of them. Read the thread until my point becomes clear. Or don't, whatever you wish. But continuing to argue will get us nowhere because, see above. It's called we're talking at cross-purposes to each other.

I'm aware of the existence and meaning of the phrase, thanks.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:49 am

Geniasis wrote:
Muravyets wrote:The real irony, Geniasis, is that you think I think you said the exact opposite of what you said, when in fact, what you think I said is the exact opposite of what I said. This kind of Gordion knot of confusion is why I always end with just telling people to go back and read the thread. And in fact, I do have a history of cases in which I've wrangled with someone for hours, even days, until I finally just refuse to keep at it and just tell them, "This is my stance, end of. Read the thread." And like a week or so later, they come back to me and say, "Heh, yeah, you're right, that wasn't what I thought it was."

True. Perhaps this is indeed the case. I respectfully submit that perhaps the opposite is also true.

I'm aware of the existence and meaning of the phrase, thanks.

Your submitted argument is noted. I stand by my statements, which I have considered extensively, every time they were challenged. I, for one, am done here.

Disco Tetris
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Disco Tetris » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Cameroi wrote:i don't think there's anything wrong with the general forum anything moderation can do to fix. it's simply a reflection of the dominant culture and all of the things that are wrong with that.

Basically this.

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:44 pm

Cameroi wrote:i don't think there's anything wrong with the general forum anything moderation can do to fix. it's simply a reflection of the dominant culture and all of the things that are wrong with that.

Like what?

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:54 pm

Wiztopia wrote:

Like what?

Like getting worked up over issues that, in the big scheme of things, are unimportant and not worth getting worked up over, often to do with personal ego.

I imagine..
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Disco Tetris
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Disco Tetris » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:50 pm

Wiztopia wrote:

Like what?

I dunno exactly what he meant, but to me people seem really angry lately. It's as if people decided to model their posting style off of Fass or something.

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:55 pm

Disco Tetris wrote:

Basically this.

*is now suspicious that Cameroi is spying on us since I said something similar in the Mod/Admin forum*
"I am the Elder King: Melkor, first and mightiest of the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair."

Audentias Gryphus
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Audentias Gryphus » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:07 pm

Melkor Unchained wrote:
Disco Tetris wrote:
Basically this.

*is now suspicious that Cameroi is spying on us since I said something similar in the Mod/Admin forum*

*tsk tsk tsk* You and your delirium.

That does sound like a moderator's sort of handiwork on the subject. Call me prejudiced but I don't believe someone who doesn't bother to capitalize when they write could think of something so simple and down to earth.
The Eastern Islands of Dharma
Marcus R. Maurolico President
Alessandro del Monte Foreign Minister
Economic Left/Right: 2.97
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.88
Part-time bartender, entertainer, architect and a frequent for Mama Nana's Bistro.
Oberst of Castle Taltos.
Currently living at Weegee's Mojave Home.
I am a bisexual intersexual. Thank you Unicario!
Male personality: Happily taken by a very special girl. :3 [IRL]
Female personality: Married to UberWeegeeia! November 21, 2010. [IC]

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:00 pm

Melkor Unchained wrote:
Disco Tetris wrote:
Basically this.

I'm slightly more worried that someone of odd and unpopular yet anti-establishment political views who is well known for his apparent use of mind-altering substances and Cameroi seem to be in agreement. o.0

:P

As for where we are in discussions, currently the last of the bluecoats has weighed in and we're entering the consensus-gathering (read: "negotiation") stage.
Last edited by Czardas on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:46 pm

Czardas wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:*is now suspicious that Cameroi is spying on us since I said something similar in the Mod/Admin forum*

I'm slightly more worried that someone of odd and unpopular yet anti-establishment political views who is well known for his apparent use of mind-altering substances and Cameroi seem to be in agreement. o.0

I see what you did there..

Audentias Gryphus wrote:That does sound like a moderator's sort of handiwork on the subject. Call me prejudiced but I don't believe someone who doesn't bother to capitalize when they write could think of something so simple and down to earth.

The content and format are entirely consistent with Cameroi's style over the ages.

Czardas wrote:As for where we are in discussions, currently the last of the bluecoats has weighed in and we're entering the consensus-gathering (read: "negotiation") stage.

I still don't really get what the issue or resolution can be, allow General to be more social? It's been done over a million times. I do remember the old guard used to respond to a lot of these 'wah NSG' complaints with 'yeah well, NSG is always going downhill, been complained about since December '02 donchano'

Ultimately while I think we all appreciate response, I just don't think you're ever going to omit complaints. From my point of view, though the lingering F7 split still doesn't make me happy, at some point there's a balance between addressing complaints and ignoring habitual complaining for habitual reasons. Generally, something happens in Moderation, big fuss occurs, something must be wrong with General and let's fix it.

It's just the same old same old in my opinion.

Still, it's nice to chat about it all I suppose.
Last edited by Barringtonia on Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:38 am

Barringtonia wrote:
Czardas wrote:As for where we are in discussions, currently the last of the bluecoats has weighed in and we're entering the consensus-gathering (read: "negotiation") stage.

I still don't really get what the issue or resolution can be, allow General to be more social? It's been done over a million times. I do remember the old guard used to respond to a lot of these 'wah NSG' complaints with 'yeah well, NSG is always going downhill, been complained about since December '02 donchano'

Ultimately while I think we all appreciate response, I just don't think you're ever going to omit complaints. From my point of view, though the lingering F7 split still doesn't make me happy, at some point there's a balance between addressing complaints and ignoring habitual complaining for habitual reasons. Generally, something happens in Moderation, big fuss occurs, something must be wrong with General and let's fix it.

It's just the same old same old in my opinion.

Still, it's nice to chat about it all I suppose.

The day General stops complaining is the day Max pulls the plug. :p

Yeah, the complaints happen every so often and I agree that obviously we're never going to make everyone happy and there will always be people talking about the death of NSG or what have you, but... It's still good, in my point of view, to take stock every so often and ask if we can make things better by doing something different.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Glitziness
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Glitziness » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:05 am

I haven't read all the thread, but just my brief thoughts, as an oldie who hadn't seen the new forum until yesterday....

I did find it odd to see the stark division between general and F7, with no real middle ground with my favourite kind of threads, structured conversation and socialising, or casual opinions on things... the kinda thing Sarkhaan mentions in quotes on the first page. That was also the kind of thing which started getting moved to spam a lot, and was one of the reasons why I left (and quite a few others). I definitely think it helped a sense of community, having a range of conversations and topics in General - I was friends with all kinds of people, with sometimes totally opposite views, we had laughs together, discussed stuff together, helped each other through stuff, were interested in each others lives AND opinions... it was nice.

I have nothing incredibly practical to say, except that I liked it the way it used to be, and I didn't see major problems with it... people who were more political avoided the social threads a bit, people who didnt like politics avoided the politics threads, but most people got involved in a mix.... there was the occasional really spammy one that got moved, or a social one that went on ages and got moved, but mostly it was fine.

I can understand why too little variety is bad, but I just can't see why too much is...

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:13 pm

After listening to the posts here in this thread and discussion amongst the Mods, we'd like to propose the following changes for General to you all to see if this comes close to what you think would help get more social life and a tighter community to NSG.

1. Social threads will be back in General as long as they lead to some kind of discussion OR are aimed at General. What this means is that silly news, what's your favorite X, and the like will be acceptable as well as threads like Sexiest NSG'er. Threads that are chat threads (Such as the Bistro), game threads, rate the X above, and RPs will still call F7 home. We're going to try to use the OP's original placement as a guide, but we still might move threads that obviously seem out of place.

2. Pictures will be back in General as long as they are somewhat relevant to the discussion (In other words not just pics for pics sake) and spoiler'ed (Especially when quoting (And please note Ard is threatening much violence in this case)). Memes are still forbidden.

In other words, randomly posting
will make us all

3. We will relax the rules on gravedigs to allow a shelf life of 3 months as long as the post does add to the discussion and the topic itself is not one of NSG's Greatest Hits. For example, posts such as "Me too" or "I disagree" without much elaboration would still be considered a gravedig. Posts that address a previous post and expand would not (I.e. I agree, but I think that we need to look at X, Y, and Z because...). Posts that do expand but are in a topic that comes up constantly in General (Such as abortion) will be still considered a gravedig as chances are we've got another thread on the topic already going and we really don't need 4 or 5 threads on the same topic.

Again, this is based off of what we heard from posters in this thread that they think would help General. F7 obviously isn't going anywhere and while we want to let General talk about most anything, it wouldn't be right to duplicate F7 or attempt to kill off that community as well. Hopefully this provides a balance point to keep General from JUST being serious business.

That said, as I, and the other Mods have stated, a lot of what we heard in this thread is not subject to Moderation or anything we can affect. Hopefully having more social opportunities will help, but Kat said it best that if we all want General to have a tighter community and a more welcoming one; the posters (And that includes us Mods who call General home) in General have to look to themselves and be kinder to each other.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:16 pm

Thank you for giving these changes a chance. :)
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:40 pm

NERVUN wrote:After listening to the posts here in this thread and discussion amongst the Mods, we'd like to propose the following changes for General to you all to see if this comes close to what you think would help get more social life and a tighter community to NSG.

1. Social threads will be back in General as long as they lead to some kind of discussion OR are aimed at General. What this means is that silly news, what's your favorite X, and the like will be acceptable as well as threads like Sexiest NSG'er. Threads that are chat threads (Such as the Bistro), game threads, rate the X above, and RPs will still call F7 home. We're going to try to use the OP's original placement as a guide, but we still might move threads that obviously seem out of place.

2. Pictures will be back in General as long as they are somewhat relevant to the discussion (In other words not just pics for pics sake) and spoiler'ed (Especially when quoting (And please note Ard is threatening much violence in this case)). Memes are still forbidden.

In other words, randomly posting
will make us all

3. We will relax the rules on gravedigs to allow a shelf life of 3 months as long as the post does add to the discussion and the topic itself is not one of NSG's Greatest Hits. For example, posts such as "Me too" or "I disagree" without much elaboration would still be considered a gravedig. Posts that address a previous post and expand would not (I.e. I agree, but I think that we need to look at X, Y, and Z because...). Posts that do expand but are in a topic that comes up constantly in General (Such as abortion) will be still considered a gravedig as chances are we've got another thread on the topic already going and we really don't need 4 or 5 threads on the same topic.

Again, this is based off of what we heard from posters in this thread that they think would help General. F7 obviously isn't going anywhere and while we want to let General talk about most anything, it wouldn't be right to duplicate F7 or attempt to kill off that community as well. Hopefully this provides a balance point to keep General from JUST being serious business.

That said, as I, and the other Mods have stated, a lot of what we heard in this thread is not subject to Moderation or anything we can affect. Hopefully having more social opportunities will help, but Kat said it best that if we all want General to have a tighter community and a more welcoming one; the posters (And that includes us Mods who call General home) in General have to look to themselves and be kinder to each other.

What if somebody says "me too" but somebody else responds with an on topic post and starts a discussion?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation