NATION

PASSWORD

Appealing to Lock of Thread

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Madrinpoor
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Appealing to Lock of Thread

Postby Madrinpoor » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:41 pm

I am appealing to the lock of my thread (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=500560). Here is why.

If you visit it you see that it was supposed to be a thread for the general discussion of European politics, specifically to hold small conversations about the politics of smaller nations, because nobody will run a thread on Danish politics or something similar. But those countries have politics landscapes that are intricate, interesting, and deserve recognition. They would not get that otherwise. This thread could also be used to talk about EU elections, because there is not a thread for that. Anyway, my point is, it is inconvenient to have individual threads for EVERY single country. There is a new Bulgarian politics thread, which inspired me to write this because the creator will have a hard time finding people interested, and it would be much more useful to have a thread for general discussion of these matters, which could include a conversation about Bulgarian politics, than having one about Bulgarian politics. Each and every country having their own thread is ineffective and ridiculous. Therefore, I created my thread, which was banned. The reasoning made no sense whatsoever. It was "Since, as you say, we have individual threads on national politics, we don't need an umbrella thread. Do not re-post." Of course, that is not good reasoning and since I broke no rules, it was just this mod (Farnhamia) who decided, out of nowhere, that this thread needed to be banned. They ignored the inefficiency of having a bajillion different threads, and how useful one umbrella thread would be. And, even if they disagreed with an umbrella thread, it is not fair how they could just decide to ban it. That should not be their decision in fairness. Therefore I am appealing. I wish that my thread could be unlocked, so people can use it, and that mods who use their powers draconically could be punished. Maybe a temporary ban on being a mod. I don't know. At the very least I want my thread back. Thank you for your time reading this.
Last edited by Madrinpoor on Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MT City-state off the coast of Japan: Sumo wrestling, tech startups, Shintō mobs, gay marriage, Bōsōzuku, taiko drums, zokusha cars, neon signs, skyscrapers, Yakuza, internet, Christians, teen biker gangs, international treaties, inter-city canals, rooftop gardens, Samurai, Internet Explorer, canned beer, and a Shogun. 2002 C.E.
Yooper High Kingdom wrote:If I could describe Mandrinpoor with one word, it would be this: Slick.
Nevertopia wrote:Madrinpoor? More like madrinWEALTH be upon your family, may your days be happy and your burdens be light.

SupportUkraine!
Cuban-American He/him

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:05 pm

As stated in Farnhamia's locking post, there are extant individual threads on national politics for Europe; a "General European Politics Megathread," therefore, would be functionally redundant. Please consider the standards for megathreads as posted by Reploid Productions:

Reploid Productions wrote:What qualifies for a megathread?
  • A topic which has at its focus a specific, singular subject, such as a current news event (IE: election thread, anti-police protests), a frequent recurring debate (IE: abortion, gun control), or a political figure (IE: the US president.)
  • Discussion on that specific, singular subject as the thread's primary focus, not simple socializing motivated by underlying interest in the subject. Conversational drift is okay, but it must remain on that specific, singular primary focus.

TL;DR: Appeal denied.

Furthermore, if you have valid complaints of moderator abuse, please file them via the Getting Help page. Moderators cannot edit, delete, or otherwise alter the contents of your GHR, and mod abuse reports are flagged for immediate admin attention. Be sure to include any relevant links to what you are reporting as well as a clear and concise explanation of what the problem is. I must inform you that the administrators have very little patience for frivolous or outright fraudulent reports, and are liable to dismiss incomplete, unspecific, or wildly generalized complaints outright. (IE: "The mods are corrupt!" absent any evidence attached to the report.)

Thanks!
NVI
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Madrinpoor
Minister

Postby Madrinpoor » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:30 pm

New Visayan Islands wrote:As stated in Farnhamia's locking post, there are extant individual threads on national politics for Europe; a "General European Politics Megathread," therefore, would be functionally redundant. Please consider the standards for megathreads as posted by Reploid Productions:

Reploid Productions wrote:What qualifies for a megathread?
  • A topic which has at its focus a specific, singular subject, such as a current news event (IE: election thread, anti-police protests), a frequent recurring debate (IE: abortion, gun control), or a political figure (IE: the US president.)
  • Discussion on that specific, singular subject as the thread's primary focus, not simple socializing motivated by underlying interest in the subject. Conversational drift is okay, but it must remain on that specific, singular primary focus.

TL;DR: Appeal denied.

Furthermore, if you have valid complaints of moderator abuse, please file them via the Getting Help page. Moderators cannot edit, delete, or otherwise alter the contents of your GHR, and mod abuse reports are flagged for immediate admin attention. Be sure to include any relevant links to what you are reporting as well as a clear and concise explanation of what the problem is. I must inform you that the administrators have very little patience for frivolous or outright fraudulent reports, and are liable to dismiss incomplete, unspecific, or wildly generalized complaints outright. (IE: "The mods are corrupt!" absent any evidence attached to the report.)

Thanks!
NVI

I think you misunderstood what I did.

This rule really makes no sense.

The UK politics thread, for instance, (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=490455) is for ALL topics about UK politics. It is about Brexit, Boris Johnson, Covid, elections, independence for Scotland, etc. What is the difference between a thread about ALL UK politics topics, and a thread about political topics of the rest of Europe? What determines the difference between the UK politics thread and the Europe one? What makes a thread no longer a topic thread but an umbrella thread? What if Europe became a country all of a sudden, then would my thread be unbanned? There is not really any logic behind this. There is not a clear definition. This is subjective, and I think that the subjectivity was applied unfairly. I am not complaining of mod abuse, I am responding to your comment. I don't know at what point I must take my thread to the final appeal. By the way, just for reference, my Europe thread lasted 5 minutes before it was banned. Not including my OP post, or the moderator banning me, there was one post on my thread. Five minutes past the UK one there were three posts, not including the OP post. 300% more people posted on a "specific" thread than an "umbrella" thread. That may not change the outcome of the appeal, but it just shows you that this size difference makes little sense to me. The one person that posted posted about Angela Merkel, because the poll on my thread was asking about Angela Merkel's departure from the EU. If I had a "specific" thread to post that on, which would it be? A German politics one? An EU politics one? Both? Neither? It applies to both. But there is no way for one to have it and the other not have it. This again shows how the my thread was misclassified.

In conclusion, I respectfully rebut your denial of my appeal, if I am allowed to do so. I rebut it on the grounds that you, and Farnhamia, both misclassified my thread. Your misclassification doesn't make sense. Thank you.
MT City-state off the coast of Japan: Sumo wrestling, tech startups, Shintō mobs, gay marriage, Bōsōzuku, taiko drums, zokusha cars, neon signs, skyscrapers, Yakuza, internet, Christians, teen biker gangs, international treaties, inter-city canals, rooftop gardens, Samurai, Internet Explorer, canned beer, and a Shogun. 2002 C.E.
Yooper High Kingdom wrote:If I could describe Mandrinpoor with one word, it would be this: Slick.
Nevertopia wrote:Madrinpoor? More like madrinWEALTH be upon your family, may your days be happy and your burdens be light.

SupportUkraine!
Cuban-American He/him

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:38 pm

We are not having a European Politics Megathread. You can discuss something which happens in France in its own thread, et cetera.

Madrinpoor
Minister

Postby Madrinpoor » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:40 pm

Katganistan wrote:We are not having a European Politics Megathread. You can discuss something which happens in France in its own thread, et cetera.

It is not a megathread! It is the same as the UK one, the France one, it is just about a broader area. Did you even read my previous comment? It does not seem like you did, and if you did, it seems like you completely ignored the point.

SupportUkraine!
Cuban-American He/him

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:05 pm

Madrinpoor wrote:There is a new Bulgarian politics thread, which inspired me to write this because the creator will have a hard time finding people interested, and it would be much more useful to have a thread for general discussion of these matters, which could include a conversation about Bulgarian politics, than having one about Bulgarian politics.

Explain, please, why people who aren't interested in Bulgarian politics would be more likely to discuss Bulgarian politics in a General Europe thread. Explain why someone following Estonia would comment on politics in Monaco or Liechtenstein. Sure, you'll get results talking about Angela Merkel or French politics, but probably no more than someone posting a dedicated Germany or France thread.

Madrinpoor wrote:it seems like you completely ignored the point.

There's a difference between "ignoring the point" and "disagreeing with the premise". Your argument isn't as strong as you think it is ... and your generic OP was nothing more than a placeholder. It WAS a megathread, and one we don't need.

Madrinpoor
Minister

Postby Madrinpoor » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:36 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Madrinpoor wrote:There is a new Bulgarian politics thread, which inspired me to write this because the creator will have a hard time finding people interested, and it would be much more useful to have a thread for general discussion of these matters, which could include a conversation about Bulgarian politics, than having one about Bulgarian politics.

Explain, please, why people who aren't interested in Bulgarian politics would be more likely to discuss Bulgarian politics in a General Europe thread. Explain why someone following Estonia would comment on politics in Monaco or Liechtenstein. Sure, you'll get results talking about Angela Merkel or French politics, but probably no more than someone posting a dedicated Germany or France thread.

Madrinpoor wrote:it seems like you completely ignored the point.

There's a difference between "ignoring the point" and "disagreeing with the premise". Your argument isn't as strong as you think it is ... and your generic OP was nothing more than a placeholder. It WAS a megathread, and one we don't need.

Because with an Estonia-only thread then practically nobody would comment on it. There would be no discussion. In a thread that attracts a broader variety of commenters, then Estonian politics would be discussed because there are more people to discuss it.

You didn't disagree with the premise, you ignored all of my entire argument. How is it a megathread? What differentiates it from the UK megathread? You are not explaining, you are just reinforcing a point you already made without explaining the reasoning, because the reasoning doesn't make sense.

SupportUkraine!
Cuban-American He/him

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:19 am

Three more mods have answered your appeal, unless you want to move on to Final Appeal (in your case I would suggest against as it most certainly be considered a frivolous appeal) we are done here.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation