NATION

PASSWORD

R. Echo chamber of baby steps, non English in a ....

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

R. Echo chamber of baby steps, non English in a ....

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:01 am

Non language specific thread.

I would call the thing trolling myownself

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=500120
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:09 am

.....locked.

Ving Humintbarrindion
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ving Humintbarrindion » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:56 am

I would like to submit an appeal. Here are my three arguments:

Re language
The specific language is Mandarin, Cantonese, French, and English.

Re topic
This is the topic:
The topic of this thread itself is humanity's collective progress towards a world of mutual respect and understanding despite diverse needs and methods of communication. My personal opinion is that we should strive to overcome the sense of insecurity and fragility born of fear and ignorance, to actively step outside one's comfort zones, and to find courage in stepping beyond self-validating echo chambers. 作為現代人,我們很幸運,可以比較輕易地學習語言,了解不同文化。但係同時, 更多互動, 亦會帶嚟更多衝擊; 唔同嘅習俗, 唔同嘅歷史, 尚未完善嘅體制, 使唔少人感覺到迷惘, 甚至悲憤. Mais nous sommes sur le précipice d'un grand changement; j'espère que nous trouverons au bout du tunnel un nouveau siècle des lumières.

In plain speech, it is a discussion on the best method for handling multilingualism, the integration of multiple cultural spheres within our world, and the prospect of finding common ground in terms of models of governance, both internally and between cultural spheres.

I believe I have provided a clear topic, as well as a personal opinion. I am willing to improve the original thread if this is not the case.

Re Trolling
I fail to see how it is 'trolling' and would like to request a more substantial argument.

Edit:
I would like to note in addition that I have made every attempt within that thread to call for civil discussion, as well as to cooperate with moderation and minimalise unnecessary trouble. The demand clearly exists, and I believe this is a way to proceed in a controlled manner, with discipline and minimum pain for everyone involved.
Last edited by Ving Humintbarrindion on Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:05 am

Appeal denied.

It was locked for lacking a substantial discussion suitable to a single thread.

Quit trying to be difficult over languages. This would be a very foolish hill to die on.

Ving Humintbarrindion
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ving Humintbarrindion » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:16 am

Sedgistan wrote:Appeal denied.

It was locked for lacking a substantial discussion suitable to a single thread.

Quit trying to be difficult over languages. This would be a very foolish hill to die on.

Can you provide instructions on how best to go about creating a thread in multiple languages?

This is necessary for topics that pertain to regions with multiple languages. For example, a discussion on the culture of Maroc would necessarily involve French, Arabic, and Berber. So we have only two choices: 1. create a multilingual thread on that topic; 2. create three language-specific threads and cross-post. I believe the former option results in less spam and is less difficult.

In addition, I believe there is a persistent problem with impersonation in certain threads, where posters assume native identities with the explicit intention to troll, to cause agitation, and to inflict emotional harm on actual natives. I would not name names, but I am sure moderators are aware of past cases. Allowing multilingualism is an effective way to cut down on such trolling, because this introduces a mechanism by which people who claim native identities in a region could be better verified.

While I am willing to discuss more suitable solutions, this is a hill I am willing to defend, because it has clear impact on not the integrity of the entire community, but also the mental wellness of its participants.

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:18 am

English is a common language that can be used.

If anyone is trolling or otherwise breaking the rules, report them in this forum.

Return to Moderation