NATION

PASSWORD

[Q]What's with mods doing the reporting?

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Cavirfi
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 28, 2021
Ex-Nation

[Q]What's with mods doing the reporting?

Postby Cavirfi » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:58 am

I've seen 2 moderation topics, where the reporter is a mod, is the mod asking for approval to do action or something?
My Storefronts | THE Barn | Set up an Embassy to Cavirfi

CAVIRFI ONE: #BoycottCavirfi movement enters Day 203; CBCC-Cavirfite Wing Strike enters Day 181 | 529 days left until Federal Police inaugurated, Training enters Day 203 | Crabaiaian Electoral Board declares 2023 Federal Election to be held on July 9 for Amine and Imguria and July 16 for the rest of the country | Chano-Cavirfite Sea Storm hits Cavirfi at wind speeds of 54 km/h, causes mild damage; Inauguration of new Great Tribunal, Technocratic Council, and Ministers postponed indefinitely | Average Weather: 20.91℃

Conservative Republic Of Huang
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:07 am

Moderators aren't supposed to act in a moderation capacity in a thread if they have been participants in it, so that's probably it.
Pro: Direct democracy, e-democracy, parliamentary sovereignty, state secularism, non-violent direct action (striking), police reform, syndicalism, democratic workplace management
Anti: Most types of representative democracy, ultra-nationalism, imperialism, autocratic workplace management, the state

"In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say syndicalism now, syndicalism tomorrow, syndicalism forever."
not conservative or a republic
Transparency

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:09 am

If a mod is already involved in a thread, or otherwise feels it would not be appropriate for them to rule for whatever reason, then they can file a report the same way as any other player.

Cavirfi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cavirfi » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:36 am

Sedgistan wrote:If a mod is already involved in a thread, or otherwise feels it would not be appropriate for them to rule for whatever reason, then they can file a report the same way as any other player.

Oh, so I kinda answered my own question in a way: They do the reporting for the sake to see if it's actual rule breaking or if it's just a personal bias?
Last edited by Cavirfi on Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

CAVIRFI ONE: #BoycottCavirfi movement enters Day 203; CBCC-Cavirfite Wing Strike enters Day 181 | 529 days left until Federal Police inaugurated, Training enters Day 203 | Crabaiaian Electoral Board declares 2023 Federal Election to be held on July 9 for Amine and Imguria and July 16 for the rest of the country | Chano-Cavirfite Sea Storm hits Cavirfi at wind speeds of 54 km/h, causes mild damage; Inauguration of new Great Tribunal, Technocratic Council, and Ministers postponed indefinitely | Average Weather: 20.91℃

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:34 am

I'm rewording the same thing again, because the question has already been answered. A mod may file a report like any other player, in circumstances when it would not be appropriate for them to act as a mod.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:49 am

Sedgistan wrote:I'm rewording the same thing again, because the question has already been answered. A mod may file a report like any other player, in circumstances when it would not be appropriate for them to act as a mod.

This does actually bring up another good question: what happens if every single moderator and admin are involved in the same discussion in which a rule-breaking post occurs? Who makes the ruling? The mods nor admins can because they were actively involved. Is there some sort of constitutional crisis that happens? These are the kinds of things I think about when I'm at home and the internet is out.

No but seriously, is there any actual protocol for a situation like that (even though it's highly unlikely it would ever occur)?
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:02 am

Torisakia wrote:This does actually bring up another good question: what happens if every single moderator and admin are involved in the same discussion in which a rule-breaking post occurs?

Not a good question, because it's never happened and never will. Every one of us is inactive in some forums - i.e. I never participate in RP. A&F, or General threads. Furthermore, "participation" means active participation in the topic under discussion. Simply posting a warning in some thread does not disqualify a mod from ruling on a different post or posts in the same thread.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:04 am

Torisakia wrote:
Sedgistan wrote:I'm rewording the same thing again, because the question has already been answered. A mod may file a report like any other player, in circumstances when it would not be appropriate for them to act as a mod.

This does actually bring up another good question: what happens if every single moderator and admin are involved in the same discussion in which a rule-breaking post occurs? Who makes the ruling? The mods nor admins can because they were actively involved. Is there some sort of constitutional crisis that happens? These are the kinds of things I think about when I'm at home and the internet is out.

No but seriously, is there any actual protocol for a situation like that (even though it's highly unlikely it would ever occur)?

One of us institutes the Emergency Powers Protocol and declares ourselves supreme leader. Don’t worry, the person will step down when the crisis is over.

Last edited by Luna Amore on Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nantoraka
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nantoraka » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:54 am

Luna Amore wrote:
Torisakia wrote:This does actually bring up another good question: what happens if every single moderator and admin are involved in the same discussion in which a rule-breaking post occurs? Who makes the ruling? The mods nor admins can because they were actively involved. Is there some sort of constitutional crisis that happens? These are the kinds of things I think about when I'm at home and the internet is out.

One of us institutes the Emergency Powers Protocol and declares ourselves supreme leader. Don’t worry, the person will step down when the crisis is over.

Right right.
I'll have my "Ave Caesar" merchandise out for the moment one of you overthrows Max Barry.

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:13 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Torisakia wrote:This does actually bring up another good question: what happens if every single moderator and admin are involved in the same discussion in which a rule-breaking post occurs? Who makes the ruling? The mods nor admins can because they were actively involved. Is there some sort of constitutional crisis that happens? These are the kinds of things I think about when I'm at home and the internet is out.

Funny thing is that I was just thinking about The Office.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:02 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Torisakia wrote:This does actually bring up another good question: what happens if every single moderator and admin are involved in the same discussion in which a rule-breaking post occurs?

Not a good question, because it's never happened and never will. Every one of us is inactive in some forums - i.e. I never participate in RP. A&F, or General threads. Furthermore, "participation" means active participation in the topic under discussion. Simply posting a warning in some thread does not disqualify a mod from ruling on a different post or posts in the same thread.

I was implying active participation in a thread. But okay.

Luna Amore wrote:

That makes sense.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

United Republic Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby United Republic Empire » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:46 pm

Luna Amore wrote:

I thought Violet gets summoned from the furthest depths of the void to perform a quick finger snap with their infinity gauntlet. From dust we came unto dust we shall return.

Cavirfi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cavirfi » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:48 pm

United Republic Empire wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:One of us institutes the Emergency Powers Protocol and declares ourselves supreme leader. Don’t worry, the person will step down when the crisis is over.

I thought Violet gets summoned from the furthest depths of the void to perform a quick finger snap with their infinity gauntlet. From dust we came unto dust we shall return.

Who's behind [violet] btw? Max Barry?

Nepleslia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 23, 2020
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Nepleslia » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:46 am

Cavirfi wrote:Who's behind [violet] btw? Max Barry?

AFAIK Violet is a different person then Max, but - like Max - has been around since NS was founded back in the Stone Age 2003.
Last edited by Nepleslia on Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:17 pm

We are careful to make sure that we leave enough mods who have not been directly involved in a ruling to rule on the appeal. Clearly, if EVERY mod on the site has been involved in deciding that X is wrong, that's all she wrote.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:16 pm

Cavirfi wrote:
United Republic Empire wrote:

Who's behind [violet] btw? Max Barry?

[violet] is a mysterious force that no one knows where she came from. She appeared one day and has been a driving force in the implementation of new features throughout the NS Multiverse. All I know is that she is a Titan, most likely from the old Warcraft lore, and should be revered as a Titan should be.

Be afraid and don't upset the Titan.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation