NATION

PASSWORD

[Discussion] ACAB as "all X are Y" trolling

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:23 am

Simple Rock wrote:really dont know what ACAB is.

All cops are bastards.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Nova Vandalia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Vandalia » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:24 am

Ghost Land wrote:
Nova Vandalia wrote:I'm sorry but reading over this thread it's kind of mind blowing refusal to actually examine the meaning and context that ACAB has become, and it's pretty blatant to me at least this was purposeful to make their argument seems justified. ACAB among the community that uses it is while accepted as a criticism of the institution and not the individual, it's been purposely ripped out of context in this discussion to devalue that. It's been a political statement since at least the 1970's.

Are we now banning political statements and sayings? Does this mean we can get rid of a thin blue line sigs, and comments? I would also assume this extends the other so people can't say all Cop are hero's as well?

It doesn't make a difference if it's intended as a political statement or not. It's by the most literal definition an "all X are Y" comment.

All
Cops = X group
Are
Bastards = Y negative thing

I don't see how this could be the slightest bit unclear.

I absolutely does make a difference if we're not letting our mods be guided by context and telling them every single thing must be judged without the context of the world, then to put it plainly my friend, the entire forum should be banned.

Also if that all this boils down to, then we can't criticize any group in a negative light is what you're suggesting by the ridiculous measure you proposed above?

The New California Republic wrote:Doesn't mean it's acceptable on the forums.

Strong argument there my friend, my argument is that it should be because of the context.

"The New California Republic wrote:No.

Then it shouldn't be banned plain and simple

The New California Republic wrote:The intent is different, so no.

The intent may be different but the statement is harmful. Tell George Floyd's family all cops are heros, tell that to Rayshard Brooks, Daniel Prude, Breonna Taylor, Atatiana Jefferson.

What this is is blatantly seeking to silence criticisms of an institution, it's not difference than saying Don't criticize America or The Church.
Last edited by Nova Vandalia on Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
If my tone is coming off as a little harsh, please call me out on it, I rarely mean to come off that way.

Be Ruthless to Systems, Be Kind to People.

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:34 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Simple Rock wrote:really dont know what ACAB is.

All cops are bastards.

Indeed.

"ACAB" isn't a more intelligent phrase than "All leftists are scum," "All conservatives are scum," etc. It's one thing to say that a disproportionate amount of cops are bad people who do bad things, but it's another to use an unintelligent generalization that is meant to get people riled up and really isn't helpful in discourse. Condemnation of the police as an institution, the people who do bad things, etc is not forbidden here. Just word your posts intelligently and without generalizations.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:38 am

Servilis wrote:
Vivolkha wrote:ACAB is a textbook case of "all x are y" trolling, used in an offensive manner against the police.
VW53Aland wrote:Just read the OP.
I fully agree with mods if they don't tolerate ACAB or any other "all X are Y". Even though there are cops that have other morals than you would expect from a cop, as demonstrated in multiple parts of the world recently, this doesn't automatically imply that all cops are like that. So, ACAB, like any other "all X are Y", simply isn't true.
But more importantly, it is highly offensive to anyone here who works as a policeman, wants to become one, or has friends or family who do. It is needlessly offensive and should have no place on this forum or anywhere else.
(Image)

That's the thing, they chose to be cops.

You chose to be left wing. Would you be fine with people saying “all leftists are morons”?
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:39 am

Nova Vandalia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Doesn't mean it's acceptable on the forums.

Strong argument there my friend, my argument is that it should be because of the context.

It doesn't need a strong argument to refute what you said, as context has never appeared to excuse trolling before, so why should it now?

Nova Vandalia wrote:
"The New California Republic wrote:No.

"banning political statements and sayings" is different from what is happening here.

Nova Vandalia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:The intent is different, so no.

The intent may be different but the statement is harmful. Tell George Floyd's family all cops are heros, tell that to Rayshard Brooks, Daniel Prude, Breonna Taylor, Atatiana Jefferson.

What this is is blatantly seeking to silence criticisms of an institution, it's not difference than saying Don't criticize America or The Church.

As the rules say, it's the intent that matters.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Nova Vandalia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Vandalia » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:40 am

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:All cops are bastards.

Indeed.

"ACAB" isn't a more intelligent phrase than "All leftists are scum," "All conservatives are scum," etc. It's one thing to say that a disproportionate amount of cops are bad people who do bad things, but it's another to use an unintelligent generalization that is meant to get people riled up and really isn't helpful in discourse. Condemnation of the police as an institution, the people who do bad things, etc is not forbidden here. Just word your posts intelligently and without generalizations.

It's is a brief summary of that with over 40 years of criticism towards the institution behind the phrase, so it is quite vastly different considering it's history of use in Anarchist Protests, and anti-police protests. You're saying that 40 years of the meaning should be disregarded, which is ludicrous and only seeks to push one side of this narrative, which shows that you're I'm trying to neutral stance is complete bull.
If my tone is coming off as a little harsh, please call me out on it, I rarely mean to come off that way.

Servilis
Diplomat

Founded: May 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Servilis » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:42 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Servilis wrote:i know i just said im not gonna be involved in this thread, but thats where one of my original issues lay, the definition of trolling used in the rules section

i dont see "all x are y" as a good definition to define trolling,
a better definition would be "mayhem", and, fun fact actually, "mayhem" is actually a legal term

thats right, you can get arrested for causing a ruckus, just saying, anyways

i dont see the logic in "why should there be exceptions", why not have exceptions, exceptions can be important, and in fact, "all children are aged between 0-18", which, in itself, well, depending on where you're from, is a true statement, and, under the trolling definition, would be considered an act of trolling because its "all x are y", which effectively rules saying things like that as a form of trolling, and thus can be bannable, meaning moderators have some more free extra ban hammers to throw, hence why exceptions are imporant.

None of that says anything as to why there should be exceptions in clear instances where it is trolling.

And no, tautologies like your example, "all children are aged between 0-18", are not trolling, as there is no intent to anger behind it; there is more than an adequate number of precedents to show what is actually meant by all X are Y, so spurious interpretations such as the example you used just aren't credible.

Yeah except it's an "all x are y" statement, and thus it would count as trolling.
And you wanna know why?
Because the poorly designed definition of trolling that Nationstates moderators so finely put out makes it so.

Servilis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Servilis » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:44 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Servilis wrote:That's the thing, they chose to be cops.

You chose to be left wing. Would you be fine with people saying “all leftists are morons”?

I wouldn't be fine with it, but I don't think you should be forbidden from saying it.
It's a debatable subject.

When it comes to things that can't be chosen, e.g. race, then it's not a debatable subject.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:44 am

Nova Vandalia wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:Indeed.

It's is a brief summary of that with over 40 years of criticism towards the institution behind the phrase, so it is quite vastly different considering it's history of use in Anarchist Protests, and anti-police protests. You're saying that 40 years of the meaning should be disregarded, which is ludicrous and only seeks to push one side of this narrative, which shows that you're I'm trying to neutral stance is complete bull.

Oh give it a rest. It’s trolling. Take it or leave it. No amount of whining is going to change it. Just do what the rest of us do and show your disapproval without resorting to trolling.

If that’s too hard well then you need to find a new place to hang out
Last edited by Thermodolia on Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:45 am

Servilis wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:You chose to be left wing. Would you be fine with people saying “all leftists are morons”?

I wouldn't be fine with it, but I don't think you should be forbidden from saying it.

When it comes to things that can't be chosen, e.g. race, then it's not a debatable subject.

Fair enough.

However the mods have clearly stated it won’t change
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:46 am

Servilis wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:None of that says anything as to why there should be exceptions in clear instances where it is trolling.

And no, tautologies like your example, "all children are aged between 0-18", are not trolling, as there is no intent to anger behind it; there is more than an adequate number of precedents to show what is actually meant by all X are Y, so spurious interpretations such as the example you used just aren't credible.

Yeah except it's an "all x are y" statement, and thus it would count as trolling.
And you wanna know why?
Because the poorly designed definition of trolling that Nationstates moderators so finely put out makes it so.

If we look at the rules in terms of how they have written them:

Trolling/Baiting/Gloating: Trolling is defined as posts that are made with the aim of angering people. (like 'ALL JEWS ARE [insert vile comment here]' for example). Someone disagreeing with you does not equate to trolling. Intent is incredibly important and will be judged by the moderators to the best of their abilities. Honest belief does not excuse trolling.

What they have written there makes it clear that a tautology like "all children are aged between 0-18" doesn't count.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Servilis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Servilis » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:47 am

"banning political statements and sayings" is different from what is happening here.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
My friend, buddy, chum, pal, friend, I must inform you, that what is occurring here, is that a political phrase known as "ACAB" or "All Cops Are Bastards" has been banned.
For someone who I used to think was quite inclusive, you are very tone-deaf.

Nova Vandalia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Vandalia » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:47 am

Nova Vandalia wrote:

It doesn't need a strong argument to refute what you said, as context has never appeared to excuse trolling before, so why should it now?

Nova Vandalia wrote:

Nova Vandalia wrote:

If funny how you say in it's the intent that matters in one breath and then refuse to accept the intent of the ACAB terminology, I mean that is blatantly hypocritical for a first.

And it to your first point it doesn't refute it, the context has largely been taken into account by the Mods and that all I am asking continue to happen here. If people use ACAB to be purposefully trolling sure Mod them, but a blanket ban removes the history behind the statement, and a large swath of the history of protests against police violence. And removal of a political statement is exactly what is happening here, let them decided if the statement is inflamatory, not if it needs a damn blanket ban. Let the Mods do their job.

Servilis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Servilis » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:48 am

Servilis wrote:Yeah except it's an "all x are y" statement, and thus it would count as trolling.
And you wanna know why?

If we look at the rules in terms of how they have written them:

Trolling/Baiting/Gloating: Trolling is defined as posts that are made with the aim of angering people. (like 'ALL JEWS ARE [insert vile comment here]' for example). Someone disagreeing with you does not equate to trolling. Intent is incredibly important and will be judged by the moderators to the best of their abilities. Honest belief does not excuse trolling.

What they have written there makes it clear that a tautology like "all children are aged between 0-18" doesn't count.

Actually no, I'm pretty sure some Pedophiles would be pretty angered by that statement.

Servilis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Servilis » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:49 am

Nova Vandalia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:It doesn't need a strong argument to refute what you said, as context has never appeared to excuse trolling before, so why should it now?

If funny how you say in it's the intent that matters in one breath and then refuse to accept the intent of the ACAB terminology, I mean that is blatantly hypocritical for a first.

And it to your first point it doesn't refute it, the context has largely been taken into account by the Mods and that all I am asking continue to happen here. If people use ACAB to be purposefully trolling sure Mod them, but a blanket ban removes the history behind the statement, and a large swath of the history of protests against police violence. And removal of a political statement is exactly what is happening here, let them decided if the statement is inflamatory, not if it needs a damn blanket ban. Let the Mods do their job.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:50 am

Servilis wrote:

My friend, buddy, chum, pal, friend, I must inform you, that what is occurring here, is that a political phrase known as "ACAB" or "All Cops Are Bastards" has been banned.

What I'm saying is that since it's based on the rules as written then it isn't the reason for it being banned from acceptable use.

Wave on, wave on

Servilis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Servilis » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:51 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Nova Vandalia wrote:

Oh give it a rest. It’s trolling. Take it or leave it. No amount of whining is going to change it. Just do what the rest of us do and show your disapproval without resorting to trolling.

yeah, except, we're not going to do what the rest of you do.
because we're Leftists, not Centrists.
if we don't like something, we try to change it.
it's going to take a lot more than that to convince us to give up.

Servilis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Servilis » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:53 am

Servilis wrote:

What I'm saying is that since it's based on the rules as written then it isn't the reason for it being banned from acceptable use.

What I'm saying is that you're jumping from argument to argument for your convenience.
Explain to me how a political statement being banned is not what is happening here.
Explain to me how the definition used for trolling on this website is robust and logical.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:53 am

Servilis wrote:

If that is a political phrase than everything is political.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Servilis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Servilis » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:53 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Servilis wrote:I wouldn't be fine with it, but I don't think you should be forbidden from saying it.

Fair enough.

However the mods have clearly stated it won’t change

That won't stop us from trying to change it, mate. As I've said, Leftists are extremists, not moderates.

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:54 am

Nova Vandalia wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:Indeed.

I'm sure other political groups have similar stories, but it doesn't give them authorization to troll in that matter, and neither should it give you permission either.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Servilis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Servilis » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:54 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Servilis wrote:

If that is a political phrase than everything is political.

That makes as much sense as saying "if a tomato is a fruit then everything is a fruit".

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:55 am

Servilis wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Oh give it a rest. It’s trolling. Take it or leave it. No amount of whining is going to change it. Just do what the rest of us do and show your disapproval without resorting to trolling.

yeah, except, we're not going to do what the rest of you do.
because we're Leftists, not Centrists.
if we don't like something, we try to change it.
it's going to take a lot more than that to convince us to give up.

Good luck trying to change it... Mods have made it pretty clear they're not going to change the rule.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Servilis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Servilis » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:55 am

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Nova Vandalia wrote:

I'm sure other political groups have similar stories, but it doesn't give them authorization to troll in that matter, and neither should it give you permission either.

Yeah but under an informal and standard setting, it wouldn't be trolling now would it.

As I just stated, defining trolling as "causing mayhem" is a way better definition, even more-so the fact that mayhem is funnily enough, recognised as a legal term.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:55 am

Nova Vandalia wrote:If funny how you say in it's the intent that matters in one breath and then refuse to accept the intent of the ACAB terminology, I mean that is blatantly hypocritical for a first.

Sorry but as others have pointed out, calling all cops "bastards" isn't benign in any way, there is an intent there to offend.

Servilis wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:What I'm saying is that since it's based on the rules as written then it isn't the reason for it being banned from acceptable use.

What I'm saying is that you're jumping from argument to argument for your convenience.

Not at all, it was the meaning of what I said from the beginning.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wave on, wave on

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation