NATION

PASSWORD

[R] Flaming/Flamebaiting in Military Realism Consultation

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Velkanika
Minister

Founded: Sep 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

[R] Flaming/Flamebaiting in Military Realism Consultation

Postby Velkanika » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:37 pm

Gallia has been going out of his way to try to piss me off via a combination of veiled and rather obvious personal insults literally all day.

The problem starts with this part of a much larger post:

Gallia- wrote:Naturally this leads, almost inevitably, to a world where instead of asking serious questions like "what is the purpose of a surface ship of any variety in a world where submarines can routinely communicate with each other underwater and satellites can routinely monitor the littorals from orbit in real time" instead you get people seriously pondering the return of battleships with railguns and screaming about the threat of boghammars, Osas, and other ancient threats that were solved decades (or centuries) ago. Also they try to explain Eastern Thought Process with Sun Tzu and other bizarre, somewhat racist stereotypes instead of genuine knowledge. Perhaps because they lack historical perspective, perhaps because they focused on some specific niche like "supercomputer modeling" and branched out into history as a side gig, or maybe they're genuine charlatans, but it's so hard to tell that teasing out the difference is almost not worth the effort.

That references almost every single conversation I've had in that thread since I started posting this summer, and he absolutely wrote it to get a rise out of me. I called him out for it and he responded with a long rant about how my entire profession is useless, and apparently a bigger threat to America than literally anything else. Apparently he's still feeling froggy, but at this point I'd rather someone else deal with him.
The necessity of a navy, in the restricted sense of the word, springs, therefore, from the existence of a peaceful shipping, and disappears with it, except in the case of a nation which has aggressive tendencies, and keeps up a navy merely as a branch of the military establishment. 1
1Alfred T. Mahan, The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783, 12th ed. (Boston: Little Brown and Company, 1890), 26.

Please avoid conflating my in-character role playing with what I actually believe, as these are usually quite different things.

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:41 am

They disagree with you, quite verbosely. If you consistently take a stance in a thread whose purpose - whether the purpose is valid or not considering it's in an RP forum - is to discuss a topic at length, including minutia, and someone else has a directly opposing position and also posts constantly, then yeah, I'd say you're going to clash a lot.

I cannot speak for their grammar changing when they're angry, or that they're angry, or even that being angry actually matters in the slightest. "Fuck off" would have been flaming; opposing your statements and arguments with statements and arguments of their own is just how this whole thing works.

I can recommend to you that you add them to your foe list, though. I can also recommend that maybe the entire thread actually talk about RP-related military stuff, or move to NSG to discuss things unrelated to RP.

And for the record:

Why do you only use proper grammar and punctuation when you're angry?

This is borderline bait itself; don't do that. Certainly don't include that if you're trying to suggest someone else is baiting you.

I think I've finally figured out what you are exactly. You're a spigot of generic internet analysis of defense topics, which despite your admittedly significant knowledge base on select military topics your personality leaves you blind to the big picture stuff outside of your areas of focus. You have literally nothing important you can teach me that I do not already know, or could find out from someone more enjoyable and credible to talk to.

So is this.

So yes, consider adding them to your Foe list and moving on.

Thank you!
Last edited by Santheres on Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Moderation