NATION

PASSWORD

[R] COVID-Related Trolling UK Thread

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

[R] COVID-Related Trolling UK Thread

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:44 am

GVH's prolonged habit of promoting actions that could lead to more infections, while saying that he doesn't care if people become infected and that people ignoring mandated lockdown's is a positive thing is starting to appear somewhat trollish:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Andsed wrote:And you know what it is even more shit? A goddam pandemic. Social distance for fucks sake it is not hard. And quite frankly you really should not be going to a pub during a pandemic. Just fucking open a zoom call and drink from home if you really want to interact with people and get wasted.

I do that every Saturday, I have done for the past 3 months, so why have you not joined us?

Next Friday though I will be in the pubs, 6 different ones. In a town with a covid infections spike.

Andsed wrote:I don't drink. I have no interest in doing so. And your pub idea is a reckless one that could very well see you and others infected.

Ah well

Agarntrop wrote:What a ridiculous sarcastic statement.

Thing is, you are not an isolated incident.

People like you think they can do anything and everything by virtue of being rich.

Dominic Cummings and Stanley Johnson for examples.

They should be able to get away with it because they are people, not because they are rich. They do a valuable job of telling people that the lockdown is stupid, I applaud their actions.

ADDED LATER (it was there but I must have scrolled past it, and I didn't want GVH's replies to be read out of context):
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Everything is opening too early, when i was heading to work for my first shift back on Friday i passed a bar on the falls road and it was fucking crammed full of people, no social distancing whatsoever, it was completely packed. Thankfully most customers in my shop were keeping their distance from one another and some were using the sanitation stations we had set up and i had access to face masks, visors and gloves as well as hand sanitiser if i needed it.

Why would you want to social distance in a pub though? Social distanced drinking sounds shit.

For clarity, and why this runs counter to governmental advice, governmental advice urges for social distancing to be maintained in bars and restaurants (page 13 of link)

For context (while I acknowledge this is too late to do anything about), this has been going on since June, at least, when GVH, made this comment:
Does lead me to wonder what would have happened with this lockdown if everyone (including business owners) had just been like 'yeah, okay dude' and ignored it. Now that's a country I could be proud of.

Although, under ordinary circumstances, I would dismiss them as unpleasant opinions, under current circumstances -- especially due to repeated airings -- they seem like they may fall afoul of the trolling rules regarding COVID, as they do seem to somewhat encourage people to disregard official advice regarding personal safety.

EDIT: For the sake of non-UK mods, worth mentioning that the UK does currently have one active full lockdown (in the town of Leicester).
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:16 am, edited 8 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 am

1. I live in Rochdale. Could somebody please point me to government advice that applies in Rochdale which recommends I don't go to more than 1 pub?
2. I believe that the second is not trolling, I am merely expressing my indifference to what I see as unnecessary hysteria over covid. I have made no claim in that post, nor have I encouraged others not to follow government advice: I simply dismissed what I see as unnecessary cautiousness.
3. 'They do a valuable job of telling people that the lockdown is stupid' seems to be the part of the post which is at issue here. The lockdown is stupid. People have expressed that opinion before, and I have heard nothing to indicate that it is against the rules.
I did not say 'Hey, Boris Johnson's dad did x so you should too!' which I understand would be actionable.
h
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:52 am

Also, since it appears this is what we're doing:

Flamebaiting:
viewtopic.php?p=37368133#p37368133
Flaming:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=480174&p=37367909#p37367909
Flamebaiting:
viewtopic.php?p=37367899#p37367899
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:51 pm

I’m just trying to help, I’m not sure if a line has been crossed or not but this seems to be mild baiting:

The Free Joy State wrote:
Andsed wrote:Oh yeah. Just ah well. You just worsened a pandemic and could have likely got someone killed. No big deal right? :roll: This kind of mindset is why there is likely going to be a second spike.

It would be nice if this thread did not so frequently get sidetracked onto one poster's minority views, no matter how repugnant they may be.

There’s no utility in this one liner snappy post besides potentially provoking/angering/triggering another poster.

It says “hey your position is a minority one and it’s repugnant.” FULL STOP.

GHV took it in good stride but he could have been baited by this.

There’s no further argument, no defense of one’s position, nothing else. Just a one liner... “your view is repugnant and you are a minority position.”

I wouldn’t bring it up if the post had instead said “your views are repugnant because X, Y, and Z.” However, in its current form, that single post does absolutely nothing except inflame a holder of a minority viewpoint.

It’s also telling that soon after this post was made (within an hour if I’m not mistaken), FJS immediately rushes to moderation to report GHV and isn’t being all that subtle about the political motivations for the report:

Although, under ordinary circumstances, I would dismiss them as unpleasant opinions, under current circumstances -- especially due to repeated airings -- they seem like they may fall afoul of the trolling rules regarding COVID, as they do seem to somewhat encourage people to disregard official advice regarding personal safety.

“Unpleasant opinions”? They may feel so but bringing up such a characterization in moderation seems a little improper and serves to inflame.

It’s entirely possible it’s not actionable, I’m only bringing this forward to your attention.

Thank you for your time!
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:56 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:I’m just trying to help, I’m not sure if a line has been crossed or not but this seems to be mild baiting:

The Free Joy State wrote:It would be nice if this thread did not so frequently get sidetracked onto one poster's minority views, no matter how repugnant they may be.

There’s no utility in this one liner snappy post besides potentially provoking/angering/triggering another poster.

As far as I am aware, attacking the position, not the poster, is still permitted. Also, while I do not believe I did anything untoward, it's worth mentioning that I did expand on the point, just two posts down (incidentally, GVH has stated that they "put very little value on human life", which is where my expansion comes from).

EDIT: Nor was my post, in which I expressed my own opinion (that I personally wished the thread did not frequently become side-tracked by GVH's personal opinions, rather than the UK politics it is designated for -- an occurrence IM might be aware of were they a poster there) in any way telling others to boycott GVH, which is what Infected Mushroom appears to be implying.

It’s also telling that soon after this post was made (within an hour if I’m not mistaken), FJS immediately rushes to moderation to report GHV and isn’t being all that subtle about the political motivations for the report:

For the attention of moderation, I was referring to the circumstances of the worldwide pandemic, the current lockdown active in parts of my country and the updated site rules. Not whatever this poster may be implying.

I would also like this to be investigated as a possible case of using mods-as-weapons, seeing as I reported IM twice, resulting in their being warned twice (on the second occasion, they already tried to raise a cross-complaint on me, so this is not an isolated incident).
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:12 am, edited 7 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:15 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I’m just trying to help, I’m not sure if a line has been crossed or not but this seems to be mild baiting:

As far as I am aware, attacking the position, not the poster, is still permitted.

For the attention of moderation, I was referring to the circumstances of the worldwide pandemic, the current lockdown active in parts of my country and the updated site rules. Not whatever this poster may be implying.

I would also like this to be investigated as a possible case of using mods-as-weapons, seeing as I reported IM twice, resulting in their being warned twice (on the second occasion, they already tried to raise a cross-complaint on me, so this is not an isolated incident).

This is a good faith report because I genuinely feel that the content of FJS’s one liner post does nothing except potentially inflame another poster. There’s no argument, just a one liner: “hey your views are in the minority and repugnant... everyone, we should ignore him.”

There’s no positive social output from the list other than to provoke. At the very least, it’s rude if not actionable. I have brought it up in good faith and with the purpose giving the moderation a complete picture.

If one side of a debate is going to be investigated, it’s only fair that all sides are.

The fact the FJS has reported me twice has no bearing on the report. It’s not use of mods as weapons to highlight potentially actionable posts. I just don’t see how a post that says “hey your views are in the minority and repugnant... everyone, we should ignore him.” FULL STOP helps the forum.

I am aware its not a direct attack on the poster but due to its foreseeable effect I would like to have it looked at as a potential bait.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:16 am

I don't view GVH's posts as actionable. He's arguing a controversial view, but it is not trolling, and nor has he violated the Covid-19 policy on potentially dangerous misinformation.

Of the posts GVH reported, one is actionable - addressed.

On IM's report, I do not believe Joy's post is flamebaiting.

And finally, I do not believe IM is attempting to use mods as a weapon.

tl;dr - mostly non actionable, one warning handed out.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:26 am

Thanks, sedge.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:27 am

Sedgistan wrote:I don't view GVH's posts as actionable. He's arguing a controversial view, but it is not trolling, and nor has he violated the Covid-19 policy on potentially dangerous misinformation.

It seems there may have been a misinterpretation on my part.

Thank you for your time.

And finally, I do not believe IM is attempting to use mods as a weapon.

On this, I would like a second opinion please. As the prior post shows, IM has prior history of cross-reporting against me -- without foundation.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:38 pm

Thank you
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation