NATION

PASSWORD

(R) Political Nicknaming in Trans Thread

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

(R) Political Nicknaming in Trans Thread

Postby Agarntrop » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:40 am

Grenartia wrote:

Its really shitty that Trump's America is a better place for trans people than TERF Island.

"TERF island" being used as a derogitory epithet for Great Britain.

Actionable?
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:25 am

Agarntrop wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Its really shitty that Trump's America is a better place for trans people than TERF Island.

"TERF island" being used as a derogitory epithet for Great Britain.

Actionable?

No. It's certainly rude but it's not trolling. Political nicknaming, by the way, wouldn't apply to an island or a group of people. It was "invented" to address the rising tide of changing a political or popular figure's name to something derogatory so as to provoke anger in that person's fans. I, at least, have backed off using it in favor of calling such things simply trolling.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:42 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:"TERF island" being used as a derogitory epithet for Great Britain.

Actionable?

No. It's certainly rude but it's not trolling. Political nicknaming, by the way, wouldn't apply to an island or a group of people. It was "invented" to address the rising tide of changing a political or popular figure's name to something derogatory so as to provoke anger in that person's fans. I, at least, have backed off using it in favor of calling such things simply trolling.

Okay, thanks for looking into the case.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:22 pm

Could we have a second opinion please?
I'm pretty sure I've seen slurs against a whole country ruled as actionable; this definitely counts, especially given that gender-critical feminists see 'terf' as a slur.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Could we have a second opinion please?
I'm pretty sure I've seen slurs against a whole country ruled as actionable; this definitely counts, especially given that gender-critical feminists see 'terf' as a slur.

TERF is not a slur. Furthermore, calling the UK "TERF Island" is a criticism of how many TERFs come from there, and how much power they wield over there.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:38 pm

It's not a slur any more than WASP is. It is common parlance to refer to a specific type of feminist and explains their identity pretty exactly; the words that make up the acronym are a fairly polite way to state that identity all things considered, as well. I see no reason to treat it on the same level as, say, racial slurs.

Disparagingly referring to the UK as "TERF Island" is distasteful and rude, so I'd rather it not be called as such, but I can't say it violates any rules.

Thanks!

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:42 pm

Santheres wrote:It's not a slur any more than WASP is. It is common parlance to refer to a specific type of feminist and explains their identity pretty exactly; the words that make up the acronym are a fairly polite way to state that identity all things considered, as well. I see no reason to treat it on the same level as, say, racial slurs.

Disparagingly referring to the UK as "TERF Island" is distasteful and rude, so I'd rather it not be called as such, but I can't say it violates any rules.

Thanks!

Thanks for looking into it.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation