NATION

PASSWORD

[Discussion/Announcement] NSG's "Wing" Megathreads

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:44 pm

Proctopeo wrote:...Y'all really didn't even consider including the community in this bombshell decision?

They seem to come to the conclusion that dealing with this kind of reaction after the bombshell than before it is preferable.

Ioudaia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Ioudaia » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:14 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:...Y'all really didn't even consider including the community in this bombshell decision?

They seem to come to the conclusion that dealing with this kind of reaction after the bombshell than before it is preferable.

This is what puzzles me about the decision: they could have avoided most of the trouble by locking the threads for a bit (a few hours? a day? whatever would let people get the message.) with a warning like "We think this is getting too chatty and off-topic. The topic is left/right wing politics. Talk about that, or risk getting this thread locked."

There would be some angry reaction to that, but most people would get the idea. We'd still be having a dicussion, but it would be a different one, a calmer one, with fewer people feeling they'd been shat on again by another capricious, unprovoked decision.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:20 pm

Ioudaia wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:They seem to come to the conclusion that dealing with this kind of reaction after the bombshell than before it is preferable.

This is what puzzles me about the decision: they could have avoided most of the trouble by locking the threads for a bit (a few hours? a day? whatever would let people get the message.) with a warning like "We think this is getting too chatty and off-topic. The topic is left/right wing politics. Talk about that, or risk getting this thread locked."

There would be some angry reaction to that, but most people would get the idea. We'd still be having a dicussion, but it would be a different one, a calmer one, with fewer people feeling they'd been shat on again by another capricious, unprovoked decision.

I think they've done that before, many times. Didn't really seem to work, apparently.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:21 pm

Ioudaia wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:They seem to come to the conclusion that dealing with this kind of reaction after the bombshell than before it is preferable.

*cough* F7 *cough*
Last edited by Diarcesia on Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:25 pm

The Church of Satan wrote:
Questarian New Yorkshire wrote:[I'm already doing it but you would have no idea about that because you're totally uninvolved in this entire saga. Now jog on. Join another peanut gallery elsewhere.

Then good for you. Unlike most of the other megathread die-hards you're moving on to greener pastures. Congratulations. ^_^

We basically all have. The RWDTers have moved to our own region and onto Discord instead. I don't know what you think is happening, but whatever you do, it's wrong.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Ioudaia
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Ioudaia » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:26 pm

Torisakia wrote:
Ioudaia wrote:This is what puzzles me about the decision: they could have avoided most of the trouble by locking the threads for a bit (a few hours? a day? whatever would let people get the message.) with a warning like "We think this is getting too chatty and off-topic. The topic is left/right wing politics. Talk about that, or risk getting this thread locked."

I think they've done that before, many times. Didn't really seem to work, apparently.

Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't (the ban/moratorium on chat threads in P2TM, where they tried a few times before bringing the hammer down, vs the May Massacre, where they surprised a lot of people with a new rule or interpretation of the rule). But even if it doesn't work, nobody could complain that they weren't warned or that Moderation hadn't made it clear what the rules were.

So, I think they should leave the two current threads locked, and start two new mod-sanctioned ones, clearly laying out the rules they want, and the consequences of breaking them. If that means the threads get nuked again, fine. But I don't think they will be.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:28 pm

Ioudaia wrote:
Torisakia wrote:I think they've done that before, many times. Didn't really seem to work, apparently.

Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't (the ban/moratorium on chat threads in P2TM, where they tried a few times before bringing the hammer down, vs the May Massacre, where they surprised a lot of people with a new rule or interpretation of the rule). But even if it doesn't work, nobody could complain that they weren't warned or that Moderation hadn't made it clear what the rules were.

So, I think they should leave the two current threads locked, and start two new mod-sanctioned ones, clearly laying out the rules they want, and the consequences of breaking them. If that means the threads get nuked again, fine. But I don't think they will be.

I dunno how much more mod-sanctioned threads they can do here.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:29 pm

Ioudaia wrote:

Kyrusia did say something similar several weeks ago, tacked onto the end of the mass threadjacking warnings that were dealt out following one of Questers's bans. I can personally attest from offsite conversations that the RWDT regulars (and some external users) did not take that threat seriously because we didn't think they would do something that dumb, knowing the massive amount of backlash that would obviously ensue. So I'm not sure that this tactic is really as airtight as you think it is.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:34 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Ioudaia wrote:This is what puzzles me about the decision: they could have avoided most of the trouble by locking the threads for a bit (a few hours? a day? whatever would let people get the message.) with a warning like "We think this is getting too chatty and off-topic. The topic is left/right wing politics. Talk about that, or risk getting this thread locked."

Kyrusia did say something similar several weeks ago, tacked onto the end of the mass threadjacking warnings that were dealt out following one of Questers's bans. I can personally attest from offsite conversations that the RWDT regulars (and some external users) did not take that threat seriously because we didn't think they would do something that dumb, knowing the massive amount of backlash that would obviously ensue. So I'm not sure that this tactic is really as airtight as you think it is.

It's not their fault that warnings went unheeded, though perhaps the escalation should have been more gradual so you would know how "stupid" the mods were.

"They warned us but we ignored them" is a very weak argument for your favor.
Last edited by Valrifell on Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:35 pm

Questarian New Yorkshire wrote:I'm already doing it but you would have no idea about that because you're totally uninvolved in this entire saga. Now jog on. Join another peanut gallery elsewhere.

Changes to moderation policy affect the whole forum, not just your little corner.
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:35 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Ioudaia wrote:Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't (the ban/moratorium on chat threads in P2TM, where they tried a few times before bringing the hammer down, vs the May Massacre, where they surprised a lot of people with a new rule or interpretation of the rule). But even if it doesn't work, nobody could complain that they weren't warned or that Moderation hadn't made it clear what the rules were.

I dunno how much more mod-sanctioned threads they can do here.

Why were chat threads banned?
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:36 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Kyrusia did say something similar several weeks ago, tacked onto the end of the mass threadjacking warnings that were dealt out following one of Questers's bans. I can personally attest from offsite conversations that the RWDT regulars (and some external users) did not take that threat seriously because we didn't think they would do something that dumb, knowing the massive amount of backlash that would obviously ensue. So I'm not sure that this tactic is really as airtight as you think it is.

It's not their fault that warnings went unheeded, though perhaps the escalation should have been more gradual so you would know how "stupid" the mods were.

Unless the mods are not telling us that they're putting up with all this crap the whole time.

Question to them: was the spammer from yesterday a WDT regular? Or was he an opportunistic troll?

Joohan wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:I dunno how much more mod-sanctioned threads they can do here.

Check this. Cliquish behavior you say? Not to mention illegal content that may put NS in trouble?
Last edited by Diarcesia on Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:38 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Kyrusia did say something similar several weeks ago, tacked onto the end of the mass threadjacking warnings that were dealt out following one of Questers's bans. I can personally attest from offsite conversations that the RWDT regulars (and some external users) did not take that threat seriously because we didn't think they would do something that dumb, knowing the massive amount of backlash that would obviously ensue. So I'm not sure that this tactic is really as airtight as you think it is.

Definitely. If anything, it makes the decision to shutter these threads justified, given if the participants had followed the warnings, this whole mess would not have happened in the first place.

Joohan wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:I dunno how much more mod-sanctioned threads they can do here.

Violations of the PG-13 rule.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:40 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Definitely. If anything, it makes the decision to shutter these threads justified, given if the participants had followed the warnings, this whole mess would not have happened in the first place.

Joohan wrote:

There's this thing though. If the decision's true purpose is to flush out problem posters, they could be more upfront about it. Put a list of banned topics to discuss for a certain length of time and then allow them again after that, maybe.
Last edited by Diarcesia on Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:45 pm

Valrifell wrote:

It's not supposed to be an argument in our favor. It's a commentary on the issue with using that particular strategy as a means of controlling behavior with this particular set of users. This may be hard to believe, but I'm trying to find actual productive solutions instead of making tribalistic snipes because I genuinely want to see this forum improve.

Ioudaia
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Ioudaia » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:47 pm

Cekoviu wrote:

Never said it was airtight.

I saw Kyru's post, and it's much weaker than I mean, no offence to Kyru. (I just reread it.) It's not in redtext, nor was the lock very long (looks like about a half hour). Perhaps I should have said that, since I'm not sure I would have taken Kyru's comments as a serious threat if I was a RWDT regular.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:49 pm

Ioudaia wrote:

Never said it was airtight.

I saw Kyru's post, and it's much weaker than I mean, no offence to Kyru. (I just reread it.) It's not in redtext, nor was the lock very long (looks like about a half hour). Perhaps I should have said that, since I'm not sure I would have taken Kyru's comments as a serious threat if I was a RWDT regular.

Do you have the link in question? From my time lurking this site, I learn to take modly words seriously and don't assume they're bluffing.
Last edited by Diarcesia on Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:56 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Definitely. If anything, it makes the decision to shutter these threads justified, given if the participants had followed the warnings, this whole mess would not have happened in the first place.

There's this thing though. If the decision's true purpose is to flush out problem posters, they could be more upfront about it. Put a list of banned topics to discuss for a certain length of time and then allow them again after that, maybe.

I don't think this decision was just about flushing out the problem posters. I do feel that given both the RWDT and LWDT were becoming chat threads with a thin veener of politics, these threads are technically in violation of the rules restricting chat threads to the mod-started ones available in several subfora of this site.

That said, given the culture in the RWDT in particular, combined with its reputation on the non-RWDT NSG, it certainly did not help their case that these sorts of megathreads should be allowed to continue.

Per your proposal of having a list of banned topics, I imagine people will find ways to get around that: if people can hide the chill-and-chat thread in other styles on F7, I'm confident the NSGers will continue discussing those topics in a way that make it appear legit.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:01 pm

Cekoviu wrote:I'm trying to find actual productive solutions instead of making tribalistic snipes because I genuinely want to see this forum improve.

Thank you.

A strong disagreement need not obviate the possibility of constructive dialogue moving forward.

I can't speak for the rest of the team, but I read every post in this thread. Some of the suggestions are more realistic than others, but I am taking note of some of the ideas that I think have value.

That's obviously not in any way a promise of action; but I am paying attention.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:02 pm

The Archregimancy wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:I'm trying to find actual productive solutions instead of making tribalistic snipes because I genuinely want to see this forum improve.

Thank you.

A strong disagreement need not obviate the possibility of constructive dialogue moving forward.

I can't speak for the rest of the team, but I read every post in this thread. Some of the suggestions are more realistic than others, but I am taking note of some of the ideas that I think have value.

Once again, thank you for listening to us.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:03 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
La xinga wrote:People that are DOS can't come back.

Because they (mostly) get immediately DEATed. Every so often, one slips under the radar for a while.

Aeazer managed to slip under the radar for 4 years once.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:04 pm

The Archregimancy wrote:

Thank you.

I really appreciate that.
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:06 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

It's not supposed to be an argument in our favor. It's a commentary on the issue with using that particular strategy as a means of controlling behavior with this particular set of users. This may be hard to believe, but I'm trying to find actual productive solutions instead of making tribalistic snipes because I genuinely want to see this forum improve.

It's difficult to see that given the number of people doing that, so I apologize for mischaracterizing your post.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:08 pm

The Archregimancy wrote:

Thank you.

A while ago, there was a general organised conference set up to address problems in r/d gameplay, from a technical standpoint, and some recommendations (some of which actually got implemented!) were brought forward from that. Perhaps a similar organised conference, regarding addressing issues that sections of the community have with moderators could be set up? It'd be a good way to make sure that the dialogue was more about suggestions than sniping (I admit I've been guilty of the latter though.)
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:09 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
The Archregimancy wrote:
Thank you.

A while ago, there was a general organised conference set up to address problems in r/d gameplay, from a technical standpoint, and some recommendations (some of which actually got implemented!) were brought forward from that. Perhaps a similar organised conference, regarding addressing issues that sections of the community have with moderators could be set up? It'd be a good way to make sure that the dialogue was more about suggestions than sniping (I admit I've been guilty of the latter though.)

Good suggestion, given that there are WDT regulars that genuinely feel isolated from the modding process.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation