NATION

PASSWORD

[Discussion/Announcement] NSG's "Wing" Megathreads

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:40 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Reploid Productions wrote:This might be an idea worth discussing further. Obviously the matter of "way too broad a focus" is still a concern, but I would be curious to hear how folks would envision such a thread looking like and functioning. Sort of a politics-themed chat thread; with more in-depth discussions on more specific topics off in their own dedicated threads like we already have? Something more heavily organized to resemble a more formal debate on a series of subjects? While it's the official position that TET is "the NSG chat thread", that doesn't mean we can't look at the idea some.

Isn't that what the rest of NSG outside the megathreads is for?

I feel like it is harder to have sweeping theoretical or historical discussions in non-megathreads because of the risk of getting in trouble for threadjacking.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:41 pm

The Marlborough wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:The obvious alternative would be that we just have lots of little threads. Which is how it used to be, no?

Yes and moderation found it difficult and annoying to be policing so many threads, especially when a lot of them could be jumbled up into larger threads that would be about the same topic. That was also when, iirc, there were more mods around.

Like four or five mods have dropped off the map in maybe the last three years? That's a lot. And policing that many threads probably does get frustrating.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:45 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
Isn't that what the rest of NSG outside the megathreads is for?

I feel like it is harder to have sweeping theoretical or historical discussions in non-megathreads because of the risk of getting in trouble for threadjacking.

Pick a subject -- something that you might have posted as a sub-topic within RWDT -- and give it a try.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:47 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:

Pick a subject -- something that you might have posted as a sub-topic within RWDT -- and give it a try.

Then when that has a sub-sub topic, then the red text flies out.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:00 pm

Only on NationStates do the moderators not want to moderate.
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:04 pm

Is anyone here really, genuinely happy with NationStates Moderation? Is anyone actually content with their conduct?

Idk if treason is violates rule 500 of the TOS but the community (excluding the mods who seem to only adverse the community) should really start discussing revolting against the Mod team, or if that's even possible.

Maybe there's a way we can go directly to Max Barry? Tell him his staff are killing the site from within. Maybe not. What's certain is that we need to find someway to save this site from itself without leaving it for another which is always an option. That should be the next discussion thread.
Last edited by Nouveau Quebecois on Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:06 pm

Nouveau Quebecois wrote:Is anyone here really, genuinely happy with NationStates Moderation? Is anyone actually content with their conduct?

Idk if treason is violates rule 500 of the TOS but the community (excluding the mods who seem to only adverse the community) should really start discussing revolting against the Mod team, or if that's even possible.

Maybe there's a way we can go directly to Max Barry? Tell him his staff are killing the site from within. Maybe not. What's certain is that we need to find someway to save this site from itself without leaving it for another which is always an option. That should be the next discussion thread.

I'm happy with mods. They do a good job, as far as I can tell.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:06 pm

Luminesa wrote:
The Marlborough wrote:Yes and moderation found it difficult and annoying to be policing so many threads, especially when a lot of them could be jumbled up into larger threads that would be about the same topic. That was also when, iirc, there were more mods around.

Like four or five mods have dropped off the map in maybe the last three years? That's a lot. And policing that many threads probably does get frustrating.

So don't be a mod. Resign if it's too frustrating. I can't count how many other people on this site are more then capable and ready to take their place.

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:07 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Nouveau Quebecois wrote:Is anyone here really, genuinely happy with NationStates Moderation? Is anyone actually content with their conduct?

I'm happy with mods. They do a good job, as far as I can tell.

Ok, I stand corrected. You are happy with the mods and their recent decision.

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:07 pm

I'm pretty sure Max Berry doesn't even pay attention to this website, unless it has something to do with updates and Covid-19 of course.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:08 pm

Nouveau Quebecois wrote:
Geneviev wrote:I'm happy with mods. They do a good job, as far as I can tell.

Ok, I stand corrected. You are happy with the mods and their recent decision.

Yep. The megathreads could be better.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:08 pm

Yes, I am really and genuinely happy with the NS staff. Compared to most other sites, the mod team is excellent, and I would happily keep them in charge, especially since they are much more responsive to user complaints than other fora on the world wide web.

If anything, the NS staff should stay the course and not give in to the peer pressure of those trying to make the fucking Himalayas out of this tiny molehill.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:09 pm

Nouveau Quebecois wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Like four or five mods have dropped off the map in maybe the last three years? That's a lot. And policing that many threads probably does get frustrating.

So don't be a mod. Resign if it's too frustrating. I can't count how many other people on this site are more then capable and ready to take their place.

I've heard rumors that Max himself has taken an active interest in trying to get rid of "problem" posters so I doubt appealing to him will do anything.
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:09 pm

If you have valid complaints of moderator abuse, please file them via the Getting Help page. Moderators cannot edit, delete, or otherwise alter the contents of your GHR, and mod abuse reports are flagged for immediate admin attention. Be sure to include all relevant links to what you are reporting as well as a clear and concise explanation of what the problem is. I must inform you that the administrators have very little patience for frivolous or outright fraudulent reports, and are liable to dismiss incomplete, unspecific, or wildly generalized complaints outright. (IE: "The mods are corrupt!" absent any evidence attached to the report.)
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Titanne
Minister

Founded: Feb 07, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Titanne » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:10 pm

I'm happy with the mods and while I don't agree with everything they do, tough decisions have to be made.

"Revolt" is not productive.
Ridin' with Biden

Not yet radicalized by the internet, he/his, Flamboyant Homosexual, among other things.

Former Delegate and President of Thaecia. Current Delegate of Annecy.

The Marlborough
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:11 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

If you have valid complaints of moderator abuse, please file them via the Getting Help page. Moderators cannot edit, delete, or otherwise alter the contents of your GHR, and mod abuse reports are flagged for immediate admin attention. Be sure to include all relevant links to what you are reporting as well as a clear and concise explanation of what the problem is. I must inform you that the administrators have very little patience for frivolous or outright fraudulent reports, and are liable to dismiss incomplete, unspecific, or wildly generalized complaints outright. (IE: "The mods are corrupt!" absent any evidence attached to the report.)

Rehashing the same paragraph over and over again won't do anything.

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:11 pm

There is something we can do, it’s called pressure the mods to make a set of rules that makes sense.
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:11 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

What, want me to submit a GHR on behalf of everyone you pissed off with this decision?
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:12 pm

South Odreria 2 wrote:

There is something we can do, it’s called pressure the mods to make a set of rules that makes sense.

Then what? Listen to them complain more about how stressful their unpaid volunteer labour is?
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:13 pm

South Odreria 2 wrote:

The rules as they stand now are consistent, and they make logical sense. It only appears this way because people don't report everything that violates the rules.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:14 pm

Luziyca wrote:
South Odreria 2 wrote:There is something we can do, it’s called pressure the mods to make a set of rules that makes sense.

The rules as they stand now are consistent, and they make logical sense. It only appears this way because people don't report everything that violates the rules.

Because the moderators don't moderate unless someone asks them too.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:15 pm

South Odreria 2 wrote:
New haven america wrote:Discourse isn't the same thing as using an area as a hub to target and attack individuals or user with beliefs who don't agree with yours, which was not an uncommon occurrence in the RWDT specifically.

You and the rest of the party-line Democrats do that nonstop in every thread.

Dial it back, please.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:16 pm

Luziyca wrote:
South Odreria 2 wrote:There is something we can do, it’s called pressure the mods to make a set of rules that makes sense.

To give one example, the definition of trolling is “posted with the sole intent to anger” or similar, which does not work because you can’t tell intent by a forum post.
Last edited by South Odreria 2 on Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

The Marlborough
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:17 pm

South Odreria 2 wrote:
Luziyca wrote:The rules as they stand now are consistent, and they make logical sense. It only appears this way because people don't report everything that violates the rules.

To give one example, the definition of trolling is “posted with the sole intent to anger people” or similar, which makes zero sense because you can’t tell intent by a forum post.

Or the all X are Y rule, which is hilariously inconsistent in its enforcement and standards.

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:18 pm

South Odreria 2 wrote:
Luziyca wrote:The rules as they stand now are consistent, and they make logical sense. It only appears this way because people don't report everything that violates the rules.

To give one example, the definition of trolling is “posted with the sole intent to anger people” or similar, which makes zero sense because you can’t tell intent by a forum post.

Luckily ill-definitions makes rules more easily manipulatable by those who enforce it.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation