NATION

PASSWORD

[R] All x-is-y and trollnaming "Cults"

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

[R] All x-is-y and trollnaming "Cults"

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:22 pm

Saying (and doubling down on, repeatedly) "all religions are cults" seems like an attempt to get a reaction (it's clear from the second and last posts that the poster seems to think other posters are religious believers); as does calling a long-term poster a "troll" (emphases mine; except in the second -- that's as per the original)
Fulgornia wrote:all religions are cults. Its just a matter of its convenient for you to see them as a cult or as a religion.

Fulgornia wrote:
No theyre both the same. Just because its more convenient for you to believe Lutherans are different from Heaven's Gate, a tumor is still a tumor even if its benign. See what i mean by convenience in deciding if something is a cult or not? Both are cults. :lol2:

Fulgornia wrote:You can say the same with cultists. The distinction between cult and religion is arbitrary and purely subjective experience. A cultist can behave like a more established "religion" and vice-versa accordingly. At its core, religions and cults have the same "intent", and thats spiritual liberation. The methods used are simply an arbitration of what society subjectively sees a acceptable outside of the confines of those beliefs. Whether is poisoning all your followers or intentionally isolating yourself for a lifetime on a hill somewhere its all for the sake of spirituality. Ergo all religions are cults, you just like the "nice" ones.

Fulgornia wrote:
then the basis of religion is dubious and they can only ever be categorized as a cult.

Fulgornia wrote:
Exactly! The distinction between religion and cult is subjective! This is it! They'll rationalize any harmful behavior as long as its towards some sort of spiritual enlightenment and those methods run the gambit of harmless to the most extreme. The main point is the intent. The intent is OBJECTIVELY the same. If we judge cults and religions by their OBJECTIVE intention then theyre the same thing. All religions are cults.

Fulgornia wrote:
plz dont troll. Step out of your religious point of view and step into someone who doesnt believe in any of it. What is religion to a non-believer? A cult.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Fulgornia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Fulgornia » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:28 pm

These are my honest answers to the thread in question. You may not like it but playing the victim is not the answer. Ive explained in my posts why I see religions and cults as one and the same. You can debate me, you can disagree with me, but responding to me in a flippant manner and crying to the mods doesn't add anything to the discussion. Please take a minute to calm down, this is clearly a hard topic to discuss but you answered the invitation to discuss it the same I was.

You can say the same with cultists. The distinction between cult and religion is arbitrary and purely subjective experience. A cultist can behave like a more established "religion" and vice-versa accordingly. At its core, religions and cults have the same "intent", and thats spiritual liberation. The methods used are simply an arbitration of what society subjectively sees a acceptable outside of the confines of those beliefs. Whether is poisoning all your followers or intentionally isolating yourself for a lifetime on a hill somewhere its all for the sake of spirituality. Ergo all religions are cults, you just like the "nice" ones.
Last edited by Fulgornia on Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:34 pm

Fulgornia wrote:These are my honest answers to the thread in question. You may not like it but playing the victim is not the answer. Ive explained in my posts why I see religions and cults as one and the same. You can debate me, you can disagree with me, but responding to me in a flippant manner and crying to the mods doesn't add anything to the discussion. Please take a minute to calm down, this is clearly a hard topic to discuss but you answered the invitation to discuss it the same I was.

Mods, I do not wish to spam moderation, or argue, but I wish to clarify that I have never responded to this poster.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Fulgornia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Fulgornia » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:43 pm

As a show of good faith Ive summarized my thoughts on the thread and left it at that. Please dont assume someone is antagonistic on the basis that they disagree with you.

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:31 am

I literally began my own response to the OP using exactly the same "all religions are cults" wording. Is my post actionable too? Is it against site rules to criticize religions now? I thought "all X are Y" trolling only applies to people, not ideologies.

Apologies if this is considered spamming Moderation.
Last edited by New Bremerton on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:54 am

New Bremerton wrote:I literally began my own response to the OP using exactly the same "all religions are cults" wording. Is my post actionable too? Is it against site rules to criticize religions now? I thought "all X are Y" trolling only applies to people, not ideologies.

To explain why I reported Fulgornia and not you, you said "it's all a matter of degree", did not make several slightly baity posts to other posters (I only reported after the "don't troll" remark) and the tone was considerably different. I have no problem debating people with considerably different opinions, but context matters.

(I hope this is not considered arguing in moderation. I do not wish to discuss or debate here, merely explain the report).
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fulgornia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Fulgornia » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:01 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
New Bremerton wrote:I literally began my own response to the OP using exactly the same "all religions are cults" wording. Is my post actionable too? Is it against site rules to criticize religions now? I thought "all X are Y" trolling only applies to people, not ideologies.

To explain why I reported Fulgornia and not you, you said "it's all a matter of degree", did not make several slightly baity posts to other posters (I only reported after the "don't troll" remark) and the tone was considerably different. I have no problem debating people with considerably different opinions, but context matters.

(I hope this is not considered arguing in moderation. I do not wish to discuss or debate here, merely explain the report).

Interesting how you dont mention the comment I was replying to. The person I was referring to was dismissive of my stance on the matter and I called him out on it. Heres the FULL context of what you're reporting me for.

Neanderthaland wrote:
Fulgornia wrote:
You can say the same with cultists. The distinction between cult and religion is arbitrary and purely subjective experience. A cultist can behave like a more established "religion" and vice-versa accordingly. At its core, religions and cults have the same "intent", and thats spiritual liberation. The methods used are simply an arbitration of what society subjectively sees a acceptable outside of the confines of those beliefs. Whether is poisoning all your followers or intentionally isolating yourself for a lifetime on a hill somewhere its all for the sake of spirituality. Ergo all religions are cults, you just like the "nice" ones.

You're trying too hard darling.
Last edited by Fulgornia on Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:37 am

The Free Joy State wrote:

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:33 am

Right.

Saying "all religions are cults" isn't really "all X are Y" trolling. The whole point of that thread is to discuss the definition of "cult." I'll grant you that Fulgornia's harping on that phrase is, perhaps, annoying, it's not really trolling because it's being used to further an argument and not as a bumper-sticker.

We don't usually warn people for troll-naming based on a single post but rather a pattern of behavior. And anyway, Neanderthaland's, if it were actionable, post wouldn't be trolling but flaming.

So, nothing actionable though I would admonish Fulgornia to tone down the attitude a bit. Honey, not vinegar, and all that.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:41 am

I see. Worth saying that, had it not been for the combative approach, I wouldn't have thought to look into it.

Thank you, Farn.

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:16 am

Farnhamia wrote:Right.

Saying "all religions are cults" isn't really "all X are Y" trolling. The whole point of that thread is to discuss the definition of "cult." I'll grant you that Fulgornia's harping on that phrase is, perhaps, annoying, it's not really trolling because it's being used to further an argument and not as a bumper-sticker.

We don't usually warn people for troll-naming based on a single post but rather a pattern of behavior. And anyway, Neanderthaland's, if it were actionable, post wouldn't be trolling but flaming.

So, nothing actionable though I would admonish Fulgornia to tone down the attitude a bit. Honey, not vinegar, and all that.

Thanks Farn!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation