NATION

PASSWORD

[R] Trolling/Flamebaiting Abortion Thread

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

[R] Trolling/Flamebaiting Abortion Thread

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun May 24, 2020 1:04 am

Responding to a player who is arguing a position that one must be "a lunatic" to argue that position seems to qualify (cut to relevant section, post being responded to left in for context); having read more, comparing pro-choice people to Nazis (especially as they appear to be assigning such beliefs to another poster) might qualify as trolling, too:

Vrijstaat Limburg wrote:

I’m sure it isn’t. It’s absolutely inhuman and it’s not even sentient, so we gave it this cold, latin name to remind everyone that it’s not human, and that it’s okay to kill it. We did the same to the mentally handicapped in Germany in the 1930s. They weren’t sentient, and leeched off the nation liked a horrible, evil fetus leeches off its mother. Instead of calling those handicapped people people, we called them “Erbkranke”, to remind others that they weren’t human; that they gave their offspring the same diseases, they were different from us! Then we did the same with the jews, they were never human, they were a different race than us, and were more like rats than humans.

[…]

Thepeopl wrote:Any unwanted pregnant woman might entertain the thought of suicide.
So by denying them the possibility of choice, you endanger their lives.
Medical necessity.

It takes a lunatic to believe that the answer to mental instability and suicidal thoughts is an abortion. If a woman wants to kill her own child, and feels compelled to take her own life because they can’t legally kill them, then that woman needs a psychiatrist, not an abortion.

Besides, despite the fact that there hasn’t been any scientific research on this topic, I would wager that the amount of women who would kill themselves if they could not get an abortion is incredibly low, and thus not reflective of the population as a whole.
[
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon May 25, 2020 2:49 am, edited 7 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon May 25, 2020 9:06 pm

Day and a half bump, esp. RE: the "lunatic" comment.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue May 26, 2020 12:50 pm

Addressed: viewtopic.php?p=37181193#p37181193

The lunatic comment was a clear flame; normally it would be a redtext warning, but as mentioned in my post, Vrijstaat Limburg's record is close to clean so I felt an unofficial was warranted on this occasion.

I don't think the Nazi comparison in this case is a rules violation. It's a potentially highly inflammatory comparison, but it's one that can be made within the rules if done in good faith and with very careful wording. I think that's what Vrijstaat Limburg managed in this case, and I'm not seeing their intent there as being to rile others up.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Tue May 26, 2020 6:27 pm

Hokay, I'mma add to this thread because I don't want to flood folks overmuch, but could I get mods to look at New Vazdania's posts?

They're not exactly posting in good faith in general (which I know isn't actionable in itself), but this post seems to be questionable in particular:

North Vazdania wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:
Are you implying we are all celebrating every abortion as though it is the height of progress and human advancement? Because no, we are not, and no one anywhere is.

Radical Feminists Join Chat
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Audioslavia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Audioslavia » Tue May 26, 2020 7:07 pm

Godular wrote:Hokay, I'mma add to this thread because I don't want to flood folks overmuch, but could I get mods to look at New Vazdania's posts?

They're not exactly posting in good faith in general (which I know isn't actionable in itself), but this post seems to be questionable in particular:

North Vazdania wrote:Radical Feminists Join Chat

Addressed here

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue May 26, 2020 8:17 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Addressed: viewtopic.php?p=37181193#p37181193

The lunatic comment was a clear flame; normally it would be a redtext warning, but as mentioned in my post, Vrijstaat Limburg's record is close to clean so I felt an unofficial was warranted on this occasion.

I don't think the Nazi comparison in this case is a rules violation. It's a potentially highly inflammatory comparison, but it's one that can be made within the rules if done in good faith and with very careful wording. I think that's what Vrijstaat Limburg managed in this case, and I'm not seeing their intent there as being to rile others up.

Thanks, Sedge!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation