NATION

PASSWORD

[R] Trollnaming in Gameplay

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

[R] Trollnaming in Gameplay

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:04 am

ShrewLlamaLand wrote:Has anyone ever called you a sea lion? You're a sea lion.

Sealioning (also spelled sea-lioning and sea lioning) is a type of trolling or harassment which consists of pursuing people with persistent requests for evidence or repeated questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning

He also admits that is what he means:

ShrewLlamaLand wrote:
The Xaviet Empire wrote:What does this mean Mr delegate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning
Last edited by The New California Republic on Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Xaviet Empire
Attaché

Founded: Jan 08, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Xaviet Empire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:05 am

oh god Really dude?
Hail the Empire!

Heilt Jocospor

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:26 am

Trollnaming is generally when someone is just calling another player a troll and not making any attempt at debate. ShrewLlamaLand is making the effort to debate in that thread. There's no need for moderator intervention there.

The Xaviet Empire wrote:oh god Really dude?

Please don't post unnecessary commentary in Moderation.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:31 am

Sedgistan wrote:Trollnaming is generally when someone is just calling another player a troll and not making any attempt at debate. ShrewLlamaLand is making the effort to debate in that thread. There's no need for moderator intervention there.

That is basically what he is doing in regards to me though. Instead of engaging with me he decided to call me a troll. He is engaging with others, but with me specifically he decided to go down the route of calling me a sea lion.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:36 am

On page 78 of the thread, you've got one post that is just an emoji, a second which is a comment on salt levels, and then it's only your third one that looks like an attempt to debate. If I'm going to be handing out warnings for low-level spam, ShrewLlamaLand is not top of the list of candidates.

But as with ShrewLlamaLand's "sea-lion" post, I think it's appropriate to overlook the occasional brief spammy posts in a thread when that person is otherwise making a legitimate attempt to debate with other participants.

Or put another way: we judge on context not just the single post.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:40 am

Sedgistan wrote:But as with ShrewLlamaLand's "sea-lion" post, I think it's appropriate to overlook the occasional brief spammy posts in a thread when that person is otherwise making a legitimate attempt to debate with other participants.

Or put another way: we judge on context not just the single post.

Okedoke, thanks Sedge.

Wave on, wave on

Return to Moderation