NATION

PASSWORD

[R] Flaming and political nicknaming in RWDT

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

[R] Flaming and political nicknaming in RWDT

Postby Nova Cyberia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:51 pm

Flaming:
Duvniask wrote:
Hakons wrote:
"The people I don't like keep winning elections, therefore it's a failed democracy"

If there's one way to make my blood boil, it's to snidely and obnoxiously mischaracterize what I've said, portraying about as much nuance as a white canvas. Studying these things is part of my discipline, so shut the hell up with that nonsense. It has nothing to do with my personal preferences in terms of party and candidates; it has everything to do with the system, of which any casual analysis suggests a jumble of problems.

The election system results in massive amounts of malapportionment and consistently places into power a party that the majority of the people didn't vote for. Not only that, it gives the governing coalition a super-majority (which is necessary to alter the constitution), whilst it gets less than half of the votes. The Supreme Court is toothless: it has declared recent elections to be "in a state of unconstitutionality", yet it refuses to nullify the election results. The party in power is also deeply intertwined with the bureaucratic and corporate establishment (the so-called "iron-triangle"), resulting in lots of corruption, pork-barrel spending, and general rule by vested interests without the input of the people as a whole. Freedom of speech is also troubled: The state applies political pressure on journalists and generally seems to want to stifle criticism covertly. That is not even mentioning the whole issue of the kisha-club system, with which the media and politicians are placed in a symbiotic relationship completely detrimental to critical journalistic practice.

Thus, Japan has a dominant-party system with the same party almost without fail being in power for the last half century, while the opposition is fractured and incapable of mounting any challenge. This has also made apathy widespread: in opinion polls you'll generally see a great mass of people saying they support "no party", sometimes even with this group being the largest. Add to all this a widespread culture of hereditary politics where elites essentially "inherit" their positions of power via their family and class connections and you have quite the democratic challenge.

More reading about Iron triangles and Japanese politics in general. While it is somewhat dated, and getting to the sources can be a bit tricky, I find that it is useful reading.

Political nicknaming:
Duvniask wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Abe-san is alright.

No.

In typical lolbertarian fashion, you come out in favor of an authoritarian* that, to the extent the system allows it, cracks down on free speech. A man who worships the imperial system. A man who is part of an organization that essentially engages in the East Asian equivalent of Holocaust-denial. I could go on, but I don't think I need to say any more.

*He isn't a dictator, nor am I suggesting he wants to be one, but that does not mean his politics and style of governance aren't authoritarian, even in the context of a democratic system.

Emphasis mine.

"Lolbertardian" is a common insult for libertarians and that just seems like a play on it.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:00 pm

I'm going to let the first one slide as schoolyard banter but the second one: viewtopic.php?p=36218332#p36218332
Last edited by Farnhamia on Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Farnhamia wrote:I'm going to let the first one slide as schoolyard banter but the secondone: viewtopic.php?p=36218332#p36218332

Thanks.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:43 am

How is this any different from calling people "commies", "edgy"- terms that are apparently not "flaming" or "trolling"? Both of which are derogatory by the way, used disparagingly to lessen the value of the things they refer to. In other words, if I called this guy an "edgy libertarian" or said "you are cynical and your commitment to your own beliefs is only surface level" this would seemingly, somehow be okay, yet the intention (and effect) appears the same.

A little consistency, please.
Last edited by Duvniask on Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:06 am

Duvniask wrote:How is this any different from calling people "commies", "edgy"- terms that are apparently not "flaming" or "trolling"? Both of which are derogatory by the way, used disparagingly to lessen the value of the things they refer to. In other words, if I called this guy an "edgy libertarian" or said "you are cynical and your commitment to your own beliefs is only surface level" this would seemingly, somehow be okay, yet the intention (and effect) appears the same.

The consistency is that "lolbertarian" is political nicknaming, which is regarded as trolling.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:14 am

Jakker wrote:
Duvniask wrote:How is this any different from calling people "commies", "edgy"- terms that are apparently not "flaming" or "trolling"? Both of which are derogatory by the way, used disparagingly to lessen the value of the things they refer to. In other words, if I called this guy an "edgy libertarian" or said "you are cynical and your commitment to your own beliefs is only surface level" this would seemingly, somehow be okay, yet the intention (and effect) appears the same.

The consistency is that "lolbertarian" is political nicknaming, which is regarded as trolling.

Yeah, and you mean to tell me "commie" isn't political nicknaming? Give me a break.

Either follow and apply the rules consistently or not.
Last edited by Duvniask on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:56 am

Duvniask wrote:
Jakker wrote:

Yeah, and you mean to tell me "commie" isn't political nicknaming? Give me a break.

Either follow and apply the rules consistently or not.

From my understanding of the rules, political nicknaming is when a politician's name, a political group, or political affiliation is altered in a way that is determined to purposely anger/insult. "Commie" can be regarded as derogatory, so depending on the context, the use of it may be regarded as actionable.
Last edited by Jakker on Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation