NATION

PASSWORD

[d] Should we get rid of the megathreads?

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:36 pm

I'm not in favor of getting rid of the megathreads, but this ...
United Republic Empire wrote:Having to read through multiple threads would make their volunteer work massively harder

... is a bogus argument. Presumably there would be the same number of posts by the same number of players. Given that we request direct links to the offending post, we'd have exactly the same amount of work. If getting rid of megathreads somehow got us more active players, we'd just have to 'hire' some new mods to handle the extra traffic.

United Republic Empire wrote:sub threads within mega threads/topics so it all stays in one mega area

Not technically possible with the current forum software. Sorry.

United Republic Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby United Republic Empire » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:52 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:I'm not in favor of getting rid of the megathreads, but this ...
United Republic Empire wrote:Having to read through multiple threads would make their volunteer work massively harder

... is a bogus argument. Presumably there would be the same number of posts by the same number of players. Given that we request direct links to the offending post, we'd have exactly the same amount of work. If getting rid of megathreads somehow got us more active players, we'd just have to 'hire' some new mods to handle the extra traffic.

United Republic Empire wrote:sub threads within mega threads/topics so it all stays in one mega area

You do have a point there,

-insert sad smiley face- ....aw well - one day the tech will be developed
Separatist Peoples
OOC: Well, the GA is full of obstructionist elite, and the rules are just there to hold the OP back. Haven't you heard?

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:20 pm

Lol no.
Anti: Russia
Pro: Prussia
Resilient Acceleration wrote:After a period of letting this discussion run its course without my involvement due to sheer laziness and a new related NS project, I have returned with an answer and that answer is Israel.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:34 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:I'm not in favor of getting rid of the megathreads, but this ...

I suppose it's possible to do it using subforums, but Max has said 'no more subforums' if my time in moderation/technical has taught me anything.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:17 am

You know.. there was a time before megathreads when not only were things relatively fine but in fact far more varied in topics. For my own part there should only be megathreads for:

1. Trump - because as others have noted too much emanates from this guy on a daily if not hourly basis to have multiple threads
2. Rolling news events - such as mass shootings or the current HK thread, some minor celebrity has died etc.,

I mean what's the point in having an RWDT and an LWDT, they're effectively TET for such adherents and we already have TET (the purpose of which has always escaped me..).

All this emanates out of the original decision to remove the community chat aspect of NSG, roll that into TET and create F7.. F7 has descended into endless, pointless AN threads and, again, I've no real idea of what TET is about though I could, at best, grant TET as a chat thread and remove the blight that is F7.

However as DI has noted, the megathreads are the long term doom of NSG.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:20 am

This seems to be nothing more than a solution looking for a problem to fix. Why is this such an intense discussion, when there is zero chance of it being implemented?
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:38 am

Bombadil wrote:I mean what's the point in having an RWDT and an LWDT, they're effectively TET for such adherents and we already have TET (the purpose of which has always escaped me..).

As someone who uses TET, please don't try to get politics into TET.

I think many of the megathreads serve a useful purpose; especially the political threads (I personally wouldn't want to wade through half a page of "Trump has tweeted" threads).

I think, as long as topics outside the scope of the megathreads and significant events are given room to breathe (which is what I've observed) the megathreads are a good way to contain debates that could go on ad infinitum and dominate NSG.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:40 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Bombadil wrote:I mean what's the point in having an RWDT and an LWDT, they're effectively TET for such adherents and we already have TET (the purpose of which has always escaped me..).

I think many of the megathreads serve a useful purpose; especially the political threads (I personally wouldn't want to wade through half a page of "Trump has tweeted" threads).

I think, as long as topics outside the scope of the megathreads and significant events are given room to breathe (which is what I've observed) the megathreads are a good way to contain debates that could go on ad infinitum and dominate NSG.

But this problem has literally never happened. The megathreads were a quick fix for something that wasn't a problem.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:44 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:As someone who uses TET, please don't try to get politics into TET.

But this problem has literally never happened. The megathreads were a quick fix for something that wasn't a problem.

Oh, please...

I've nearly had issue drafts concerning abortion derailed by the abortion debate. I quite like being able to say, "If you want to discuss abortion, we have a megathread in NSG".

NSG discussions that even lightly touch -- just once -- on politics or religion frequently turn into extensive sociopolitical or theological debates. I quite like that there are places for all that to go to.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:58 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:As someone who uses TET, please don't try to get politics into TET.

No... You are proposing a quick fix to something that isn't, nor has ever been a problem.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:59 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:The megathreads were a quick fix for something that wasn't a problem.

That's because in Ye Olden Times of NationStates, the vast majority of people didn't carry around devices (smartphones) that they could connect to the Internet wherever, whenever. And the same went for the rest of the population; news weren't something that was shared instantly all over the Internet, or something you could comment on equally instantly. The Internet in general has grown more chatty and more reactionary. I try to stay away from NSG these days, so I'm not sure how much of that development can be seen in NS, but on some other forums I go to, it's fairly obvious.

So it's easy to say "that never happened" because we were never before in this current particular situation. Of course it never happened before because it was in the past. If you deleted the megathreads now, chances are very high it would happen now, because we live in the now.

Keep the megathreads, at least that way gun control/abortion/Trump count as threadjacks elsewhere. :P

This thread's title made me think you meant the reporting megathreads...
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

United Republic Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 27, 2014

Postby United Republic Empire » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:10 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:But this problem has literally never happened. The megathreads were a quick fix for something that wasn't a problem.

Oh, please...

I've nearly had issue drafts concerning abortion derailed by the abortion debate. I quite like being able to say, "If you want to discuss abortion, we have a megathread in NSG".

NSG discussions that even lightly touch -- just once -- on politics or religion frequently turn into extensive sociopolitical or theological debates. I quite like that there are places for all that to go to.

So effectively what you're saying is all the trump supporters, must do is start drafting issues pertaining to his daily hourly tweets.
That sounds rather.....chaotic. In a sense they could end up with thousands of "Issue Drafting Threads", each one modeled after one of trump's tweets.
Separatist Peoples
OOC: Well, the GA is full of obstructionist elite, and the rules are just there to hold the OP back. Haven't you heard?

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:14 am

United Republic Empire wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Oh, please...

So effectively what you're saying is all the trump supporters, must do is start drafting issues pertaining to his daily hourly tweets.
That sounds rather.....chaotic. In a sense they could end up with thousands of "Issue Drafting Threads", each one modeled after one of trump's tweets.

Issue drafting is separate to NSG.

Also, for the love of whatever you may believe in, don't wish that on the Issue Editors.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:26 am

The Free Joy State wrote:Oh, please...

Yes please! But keep in mind that you are the leader of your own country, so it's a bit weird to get issues about stuff that "you yourself" tweeted. So maybe if a Foreign leader does it. Do we already have an issue about a foreign leader asking to buy a chunk of your country? Or to nuclear bomb a hurricane that might deviate into your territory then? :p
The Blaatschapen should resign

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:28 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Yes please! But keep in mind that you are the leader of your own country, so it's a bit weird to get issues about stuff that "you yourself" tweeted. So maybe if a Foreign leader does it. Do we already have an issue about a foreign leader asking to buy a chunk of your country? Or to nuclear bomb a hurricane that might deviate into your territory then? :p

I'm not sure we have an issue about a proposal to buy a chunk of your country, it might work.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:31 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Why, Blaat? Why?

*opens book "Fifty Ways to Serve Lamb*

And, issues inspired by things Trump did would be fine, FYI. But we do have at least one issue about a foreign leader tweeting and we don't like to be samey. So a different delivery would be fine. But probably best not to get too sidetracked, as this is not Got Issues?.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:34 am

My point is they're essentially variations of TET vaguely revolving around a premise.. and really they should be combined into a 'Political Spectrum Megathread' at best, I mean we have a Libertarian and RWDT thread that could effectively be merged if we're going to make mega topics.

Still.. ultimately the ability to create a mega thread is too easy, they should have clear definitions and criteria for creation, otherwise I can just create 'The Amphibian Megathread' for all things amphibian, that tends to devolve down to a few posters discussing the nature of Kermit and Piggy's relationship.

It's just that creating a mega thread tends to exclude the diversity of people contributing to any one topic in all its variations. That stagnates NSG as a whole into separate, exclusive communities rather than allow for anyone and everyone, newbie or antiquity, to feel as if they can put forward their opinion on any given subject.
Last edited by Bombadil on Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:41 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:Do we already have an issue about a foreign leader asking to buy a chunk of your country?

Somebody recently started drafting one about you trying to buy somewhere else.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:48 pm

Bombadil wrote:

My point is they're essentially variations of TET vaguely revolving around a premise.. and really they should be combined into a 'Political Spectrum Megathread' at best, I mean we have a Libertarian and RWDT thread that could effectively be merged if we're going to make mega topics.

Still.. ultimately the ability to create a mega thread is too easy, they should have clear definitions and criteria for creation, otherwise I can just create 'The Amphibian Megathread' for all things amphibian, that tends to devolve down to a few posters discussing the nature of Kermit and Piggy's relationship.

It's just that creating a mega thread tends to exclude the diversity of people contributing to any one topic in all its variations. That stagnates NSG as a whole into separate, exclusive communities rather than allow for anyone and everyone, newbie or antiquity, to feel as if they can put forward their opinion on any given subject.

Time was when only Moderators could declare a megathread. Like I said, there's a difference between megathreads and the, hrmm, clique threads that are the RWDT/LWDT. Those were, originally, the bloody ask a whatever threads with a shake of the various language threads.

Personally (NOT Mod statement), I do agree with you that a number of them have slowly devolved from talking about what it means to be X, or explaining X's policy/philosophy into under the radar chat threads.

THAT said, I still feel there's some value in allowing various megathreads as is because they do provide a place for those endless philosophical/policy debates/beating dead horses that NSG so loves and that come to dominate just about any other thread on things that are even slightly related to that topic.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Caleonia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Caleonia » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:09 am

NERVUN wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Time was when only Moderators could declare a megathread. Like I said, there's a difference between megathreads and the, hrmm, clique threads that are the RWDT/LWDT. Those were, originally, the bloody ask a whatever threads with a shake of the various language threads.

Personally (NOT Mod statement), I do agree with you that a number of them have slowly devolved from talking about what it means to be X, or explaining X's policy/philosophy into under the radar chat threads.

THAT said, I still feel there's some value in allowing various megathreads as is because they do provide a place for those endless philosophical/policy debates/beating dead horses that NSG so loves and that come to dominate just about any other thread on things that are even slightly related to that topic.

From my perspective, I would think that it would be a good idea for only moderators to declare megathreads unless a non-mod was granted permission to declare something a megathread from a moderator themselves.

I do agree that some mega threads do need to be cleaned out as many different threads have devolved into chaos that requires a lot of reading to understand the context of said argument. The language threads are important for the people who have difficulty/the inability to speak English.
Caleon | Grünkohlland
The land of progress, the first society of speed.
MT/PMT (Cyberprep in 2035) | National Day: September 3 | Refer to this for policies | More than a “funny car nation”, and pays no attention to F1 | Hatsunia and I are NOT related, I just exist in his universe due to us sharing the same region.
Overview | Caleon Pro Baseball

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:09 pm

No, we definitely need megathreads, but there is some merit is questioning what should and shouldn't be looped into them. I do also sympathize with the issue of megas tending to get dominated by a handful of players, though that seems like a fundamental issue of human nature rather than something that can be fixed with rule tweaking.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:07 am

Giovenith wrote:No, we definitely need megathreads, but there is some merit is questioning what should and shouldn't be looped into them. I do also sympathize with the issue of megas tending to get dominated by a handful of players, though that seems like a fundamental issue of human nature rather than something that can be fixed with rule tweaking.

Megathreads encourage it though. They create rather intimidating huge threads that people are less likely to want to look through.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:02 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:But this problem has literally never happened. The megathreads were a quick fix for something that wasn't a problem.

No. The megathreads were created to contain multiple threads on the same topic because it WAS a problem. No one wanted to see ten threads on the top page of general on abortion, or elections, or, you know, the things that ARE megathreads.

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Megathreads encourage it though. They create rather intimidating huge threads that people are less likely to want to look through.

No one is obligated to jump into a thread that does not interest them. I have never been in the thread on cars, since it does not interest me. This is not a flaw in the car discussion thread.
Last edited by Katganistan on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jebslund
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jebslund » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:37 am

NERVUN wrote:THAT said, I still feel there's some value in allowing various megathreads as is because they do provide a place for those endless philosophical/policy debates/beating dead horses that NSG so loves and that come to dominate just about any other thread on things that are even slightly related to that topic.

NSG doesn't so much love beating dead horses as NSG loves mercilessly flaying piles of fossilized bonemeal that has been beaten so fine that its individual particles are subatomic at this point.
Last edited by Jebslund on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jebslund is a nation of kerbals ruled by Emperor Jebediah Kerman. We reject tyranny, believing that rights should be protected, though we also believe said rights end where the rights of others begin.
Shockingly, we *do* use NS stats, with the exception of lifespan.
Singular sapient: Jebslunder
Plural Sapient: Jebslunden
Singular/Plural nonsapient: Kermanic
Note: When a verb can logically only be done by the sapient using/piloting/holding the object in question, then the appropriate demonym for the number of sapients is used.

Capitalism, Socialism, and Communism are ECONOMIC SYSTEMS. Stop conflating them with political systems.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:10 am

Jebslund wrote:
NERVUN wrote:THAT said, I still feel there's some value in allowing various megathreads as is because they do provide a place for those endless philosophical/policy debates/beating dead horses that NSG so loves and that come to dominate just about any other thread on things that are even slightly related to that topic.

NSG doesn't so much love beating dead horses as NSG loves mercilessly flaying piles of fossilized bonemeal that has been beaten so fine that its individual particles are subatomic at this point.

"Bone meal is a mixture of finely and coarsely ground animal bones and slaughter-house waste products.[1] It is used as an organic fertilizer for plants and as a nutritional supplement for animals. As a slow-release fertilizer, bone meal is primarily used as a source of phosphorus and protein."
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation