NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Rules Are Too Strict

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Qwertyuioplkjhgfd
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

NationStates Rules Are Too Strict

Postby Qwertyuioplkjhgfd » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:03 pm

I just believe the nationstates forum rules are way too strict. One thing that i've noticed here on forums is that players are more concerned with shutting down forums, reporting to mods, and trying to get other players in trouble. It seems to be a game of how funny would it be if I can get this player's forum shut down because someone was a bit passionate in the debate, which will be called flaming. Actually, I can go on any topic and find comments that can "offend" anyone. While I agree cyberbullying is wrong, I do not believe that nationstates should be so strict that topics i discuss in school, middle school in fact, are banned because they are "above the pg-13" rating; any type of comment, currently I see as a trend, is analyzed to see how that can be intended as "flame." Ad hominem arguments at the player are irrelevant I don't disagree; players and mods take it too far with what is politically correct and incorrect, making nationstates forums almost like a north korea dictatorship where pretty much all free thought and debate is censored.

In fact, this forum will probably get shut down because the mods feel offended.

edit: I should say have discussed before in middle school.
Last edited by Qwertyuioplkjhgfd on Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:14 pm

Well yeah, the mods probs will shut this thread down because it's a blog post. Also there are parameters to dispute mod ruling. Go here
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Qwertyuioplkjhgfd wrote:I just believe the nationstates forum rules are way too strict. One thing that i've noticed here on forums is that players are more concerned with shutting down forums, reporting to mods, and trying to get other players in trouble. It seems to be a game of how funny would it be if I can get this player's forum shut down because someone was a bit passionate in the debate, which will be called flaming. Actually, I can go on any topic and find comments that can "offend" anyone. While I agree cyberbullying is wrong, I do not believe that nationstates should be so strict that topics i discuss in school, middle school in fact, are banned because they are "above the pg-13" rating; any type of comment, currently I see as a trend, is analyzed to see how that can be intended as "flame." Ad hominem arguments at the player are irrelevant I don't disagree; players and mods take it too far with what is politically correct and incorrect, making nationstates forums almost like a north korea dictatorship where pretty much all free thought and debate is censored.

1. This belongs in the moderation forum
2. If this were North Korea we would kill you for your opinions, not ban you.
3. The rules do prevent things like cheap name calling, even when the name calling is accurate, the rules actually make a poster state an opinion
4. If you dont like it you dont have to post here.
5. 4 is enough
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Qwertyuioplkjhgfd
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Qwertyuioplkjhgfd » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:23 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Qwertyuioplkjhgfd wrote:I just believe the nationstates forum rules are way too strict. One thing that i've noticed here on forums is that players are more concerned with shutting down forums, reporting to mods, and trying to get other players in trouble. It seems to be a game of how funny would it be if I can get this player's forum shut down because someone was a bit passionate in the debate, which will be called flaming. Actually, I can go on any topic and find comments that can "offend" anyone. While I agree cyberbullying is wrong, I do not believe that nationstates should be so strict that topics i discuss in school, middle school in fact, are banned because they are "above the pg-13" rating; any type of comment, currently I see as a trend, is analyzed to see how that can be intended as "flame." Ad hominem arguments at the player are irrelevant I don't disagree; players and mods take it too far with what is politically correct and incorrect, making nationstates forums almost like a north korea dictatorship where pretty much all free thought and debate is censored.

3. The rules do prevent things like cheap name calling, even when the name calling is accurate, the rules actually make a poster state an opinion
5. 4 is enough

Where in the rules does it say it belongs in the moderation forum? i just couldn't find it sorry. And yeah that's why I said "almost"; I was also using hyperbole to prove a point. But your number 4: I couldn't disagree more. There is always room for improvement. If one forum site consistently had cyberbullying with death threats, people would also say don't post if you don't like it to the cyberbullied people. I don't believe that makes it right.

Qwertyuioplkjhgfd
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Qwertyuioplkjhgfd » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:24 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Well yeah, the mods probs will shut this thread down because it's a blog post. Also there are parameters to dispute mod ruling. Go here

Yeah, those are mostly for specific instances, correct me if I'm wrong. This is mostly about the general phenomenon.

Borovan entered the region as he
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Borovan entered the region as he » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:25 pm

The rules r there like u see in facebook and instagram to stop heated stuff u can't just flame without consequence and it's dumb to post things that's childish I mean defacation in public places? I mean it's ok to be silly but this is raising eyebrows and just for to shock ppl

/Not a mod
Last edited by Borovan entered the region as he on Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catsfern
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 09, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Catsfern » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:26 pm

im posting here for two reasons 1 to tell you that the mods are just doing their jobs, and two to actually see if this thread gets locked or not.

Phrenics
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Phrenics » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Qwertyuioplkjhgfd wrote:edit: I should say have discussed before in middle school.

:roll:

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:30 pm

Qwertyuioplkjhgfd wrote:... making nationstates forums almost like a north korea dictatorship where pretty much all free thought and debate is censored.

Being banned or deleted for flaming or trolling is not the same as being starved in a NK Gulag. Also, people share their thoughts here all of the time, including ones that would be banned in NK or any other dictatorship.

The Great Swedish Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Swedish Empire » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:30 pm

I rather disagree. I have been on forums where it's been utter piglet shite. Take for example the Roblox forums. I was once on there and oh boy it was a shitfest bigger than the French revolution. I think the rules are perfect for this forum.
Stuff. Just stuff.

Qwertyuioplkjhgfd
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Qwertyuioplkjhgfd » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:31 pm

Borovan entered the region as he wrote:The rules r there like u see in facebook and instagram to stop heated stuff u can't just flame without consequence and it's dumb to post things that's childish I mean defacation in public places? I mean it's ok to be silly but this is raising eyebrows and just for to shock ppl

/Not a mod

In instagram, from what I've seen, R-rated content is consistently posted, stuff that is definitely R-rated. Also if you're are very active in Instagram (not intended as a flame, I realize I have to say that with everything), then you may be aware of the thousands of meme accounts dedicated to shocking and offensive and sexual content. Also forums can be compared to the IG comments, where lots of cyberbullying in fact occurrs. If someone makes a comment and disagrees tons of "flaming" from what I've seen indeed occurs. I don't know about facebook.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:31 pm

Qwertyuioplkjhgfd wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
5. 4 is enough

Where in the rules does it say it belongs in the moderation forum? i just couldn't find it sorry. And yeah that's why I said "almost"; I was also using hyperbole to prove a point. But your number 4: I couldn't disagree more. There is always room for improvement. If one forum site consistently had cyberbullying with death threats, people would also say don't post if you don't like it to the cyberbullied people. I don't believe that makes it right.

Things that are about moderation, or need moderation go there. I believe it is in the description of the moderation forum.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:32 pm

Qwertyuioplkjhgfd wrote:I just believe the nationstates forum rules are way too strict. (1) One thing that i've noticed here on forums is that players are more concerned with shutting down forums, reporting to mods, and trying to get other players in trouble. It seems to be a game of how funny would it be if I can get this player's forum shut down (2) because someone was a bit passionate in the debate, which will be called flaming. Actually, (3) I can go on any topic and find comments that can "offend" anyone. While I agree cyberbullying is wrong, I do not believe that nationstates should be so strict that (4) topics i discuss in school, middle school in fact, are banned because they are "above the pg-13" rating; any type of comment, currently I see as a trend, is analyzed to see how that can be intended as "flame." Ad hominem arguments at the player are irrelevant I don't disagree; players and mods take it too far with what is politically correct and incorrect,(5) making nationstates forums almost like a north korea dictatorship where pretty much all free thought and debate is censored.

(1) Yes, users must take a part in reporting flaming to the moderators, and the moderators, when seen fit, will shut it down. If you spend more time on NationStates, you’ll notice not all requests for a punishment for supposed rulebreakers are answered. You’re taking it too far, too, because many moderators ‘loom’ about the user and gives a friendly warning, not shut down entire threads. That’s only when users are distracted and the original topic isn’t considered anymore, and that IS a rule. Because topics are supposed to be discussed about what they are and what they aren’t. Deal with it.

(2) Passionate‽ No, sir, they are not passionate, these players, when reported are rude, and despise the intelligence of other users for an opinion they see wrong, or simply change their opinions, which they are allowed to have. If you say that’s okay, then I say to you, it’s not. Why? Because it’s cyberbullying. Again, deal with it.

(3) That may be rather true. I have had experiences with players who argues with me about my opinions. So what? We’re having a civil debate, not offending each other. If you ask me I can’t question others on their opinions harshly but not rudely or civil, then that’s even more strict.

(4) They are not banned. I discuss political news with my friends everyday. I also discuss them here and they’re not banned. What’s getting you banned? It’s when you start to force your opinions on everyone, and such.

(5) All free thought and debate aren’t censored. Only the ones that do offend others/a certain group ARE censored.

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:32 pm

The NS rules are fine, if you don’t like them then go somewhere else.
Occasionally the Neo-American States
"Choke on the ashes of your hate."
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Environmental protections
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Authoritarianism/Totalitarianism
- Traditionalism
- Ethnic/racial supremacy
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Laissez-faire capitalism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism
- Climate change denialism

Qwertyuioplkjhgfd
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Qwertyuioplkjhgfd » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:32 pm

Catsfern wrote:im posting here for two reasons 1 to tell you that the mods are just doing their jobs, and two to actually see if this thread gets locked or not.

I respect your opinion. I can bet you (not literally and not trying to offend you) my whole back account they will.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:34 pm

Odds on OP being DOS for posting banned material already..

Bookies are no longer taking bets.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Not a mod but when you signed up for the site you agreed to follow the rules. If you're not happy with the T&Cs you signed on for, you don't have to stay.

This is a PG-13 site (which is stated in the rules), which means that what goes on Instagram does not go on here.

Most people quite like being on a site where flaming and trolling are policed. If you would rather that not happen, you are free to go find a more permissive nation simulator (or start one yourself).
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:37 pm

Bombadil wrote:Odds on OP being DOS for posting banned material already..

He isn't DOS. Frisbeeteria told me he wasn't.
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:38 pm

Qwertyuioplkjhgfd wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Well yeah, the mods probs will shut this thread down because it's a blog post. Also there are parameters to dispute mod ruling. Go here

Yeah, those are mostly for specific instances, correct me if I'm wrong. This is mostly about the general phenomenon.

Yeah you can still post there for general stuff. As for questions about mod rule, you could/should also post using the Appeals Process
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:42 pm

Qwertyuioplkjhgfd wrote:(1) Where in the rules does it say it belongs in the moderation forum? i just couldn't find it sorry. And yeah that's why I said "almost"; I was also using hyperbole to prove a point. But your number 4: I couldn't disagree more. There is always room for improvement. If one forum site consistently had cyberbullying with death threats, (2) people would also say don't post if you don't like it to the cyberbullied people. I don't believe that makes it right.

(1) In the moderation forum, in the pinned topic.
(2) Yes, we can tell them to stop, but if they don’t, tell the moderators to stop them, punish them, because we’re not people capable of handling the entire matter. We can also choose to ignore them completely and report.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:42 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Odds on OP being DOS for posting banned material already..

He isn't DOS. Frisbeeteria told me he wasn't.

Well lost a nation.. generally when I see these it's by someone who's egregiously broken the rules.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Rhodesia-Zimbabwe
Secretary

Founded: Mar 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesia-Zimbabwe » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:42 pm

it seems like your issue isn't with the rules but with how they're enforced and with the people who enforce them

maybe this should be retittled to "NS mods are too strict" instead of the rules.

btw why did u make this post? to rabblerouse? if this is actually like NK you're just digging your own grave man
I saw a terr on the bundu track
He had a landmine in his pack
When the troopies opened fire
They found his head in Bulawayo!

Qwertyuioplkjhgfd
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Qwertyuioplkjhgfd » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:43 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:Not a mod but when you signed up for the site you agreed to follow the rules. If you're not happy with the T&Cs you signed on for, you don't have to stay.

This is a PG-13 site (which is stated in the rules), which means that what goes on Instagram does not go on here.

Most people quite like being on a site where flaming and trolling are policed. If you would rather that not happen, you are free to go find a more permissive nation simulator (or start one yourself).

I also believe that rules can be changed and made better. I believe it is comparable to saying that if a person does not like slavery in the U.S. they can leave the U.S., or if a black did not like the segregation policies they can go back to African later in U.S. history. My comment on Instagram was in response to someone saying NS is like instagram, which I was saying it isn't, like you said. I also agree flaming and trolling should be moderated. It is just people purpose try to find any instance in a debate when something could be considered a flame or troll. For instance, my whole argument can be a flame towards all the mods. The rules says "anything with an intention to offend."That can be so many things in a debate. Why wouldn't nationstates creator Max Barry be offended with my argument?

Rhodesia-Zimbabwe
Secretary

Founded: Mar 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesia-Zimbabwe » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:47 pm

Qwertyuioplkjhgfd wrote:I also believe that rules can be changed and made better. I believe it is comparable to saying that if a person does not like slavery in the U.S. they can leave the U.S., or if a black did not like the segregation policies they can go back to African later in U.S. history. My comment on Instagram was in response to someone saying NS is like instagram, which I was saying it isn't, like you said. I also agree flaming and trolling should be moderated. It is just people purpose try to find any instance in a debate when something could be considered a flame or troll. For instance, my whole argument can be a flame towards all the mods. The rules says "anything with an intention to offend."That can be so many things in a debate. Why wouldn't nationstates creator Max Barry be offended with my argument?

it isn't at all comparable because while you can leave nationstates.net and go to another website the slaves didn't have that liberty to leave their country
also kind of offensive to compare something so trivial to slavery not gonna lie
Last edited by Rhodesia-Zimbabwe on Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I saw a terr on the bundu track
He had a landmine in his pack
When the troopies opened fire
They found his head in Bulawayo!

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:47 pm

Qwertyuioplkjhgfd wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Not a mod but when you signed up for the site you agreed to follow the rules. If you're not happy with the T&Cs you signed on for, you don't have to stay.

I also believe that rules can be changed and made better. I believe it is comparable to saying that if a person does not like slavery in the U.S. they can leave the U.S., or if a black did not like the segregation policies they can go back to African later in U.S. history. My comment on Instagram was in response to someone saying NS is like instagram, which I was saying it isn't, like you said. I also agree flaming and trolling should be moderated. It is just people purpose try to find any instance in a debate when something could be considered a flame or troll. For instance, my whole argument can be a flame towards all the mods. The rules says "anything with an intention to offend."That can be so many things in a debate. Why wouldn't nationstates creator Max Barry be offended with my argument?

Your whole argument against moderation is what I wouldn’t consider flaming. You have reasons and you don’t question their intelligence nor sanity. Also, I think if the moderators thought this was not legal, they’d have shut it down already.

And intention to offend is anything that shoves opinions down any players’ throat, or questioning their right to exist... sort of things that are out of topic and just questions the person itself and not his/her opinion.

Don’t forget, the rules protect you. If I called you a contemptuous noun, i’d be warned or punished.
Last edited by Bluelight-R006 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation