NATION

PASSWORD

Questionable language?

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Terruana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Questionable language?

Postby Terruana » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:35 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:A qualified Doctor has to treat a nigger whether they consent to or not. Why is a whore any different?

Ethel mermania wrote:As much as I am fine with forcing doctors to treat niggers, yes.

Sex is in the job description. They dont want to have sex with the general population, dont take the job.

Now if you are telling me doctors should not have to treat niggers if they dont want too, I would say the same for sex workers.

Full disclosure: in general I am ok with anti-discrimination laws.

Not sure if this counts as flamebaiting or not, but it kinda seems to cross a line.
Political Compass Score:
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:48 pm

Addressed viewtopic.php?p=35391435#p35391435

Thanks for the report.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:54 pm

who was I trolling?

Last I checked there were no forbidden words on this site.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:06 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:who was I trolling?

The word isn't forbidden, but it is about context and referring to a group of people by it is against the rules in my opinion. You're welcome to appeal.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:05 am

Jakker wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:who was I trolling?

The word isn't forbidden, but it is about context and referring to a group of people by it is against the rules in my opinion. You're welcome to appeal.

Against what rule. No one was being trolled.

The context was appropriate. I was not saying anything bad about any group. I was using nigger as a raw word in a conversation about discrimination, which is a raw topic.

I did call anyone a nigger, I did not say being a nigger is a bad thing. I want a second opinion
Also I am curious about how your boss the writer feels about censoring words for no reason.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:11 am

Second opinion: Whilst we don't ban words on this site per se, n****r is one of those words which is only going to be judged acceptable in very limited circumstances. There is no reason why you needed to use that word particularly, rather than "black people," "African-Americans" or some other alternative. And yet you chose to use a word which is widely regarded as highly offensive; that's why, in this case, it was entirely reasonable to view your post as trolling. I'm upholding Jakker's judgement.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:37 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:Second opinion: Whilst we don't ban words on this site per se, n****r is one of those words which is only going to be judged acceptable in very limited circumstances. There is no reason why you needed to use that word particularly, rather than "black people," "African-Americans" or some other alternative. And yet you chose to use a word which is widely regarded as highly offensive; that's why, in this case, it was entirely reasonable to view your post as trolling. I'm upholding Jakker's judgement.

I needed to use the word because.
Language matters, Will not service niggers, has a much bigger and rawer impact than will not service African Americans. The medic who refuses to service folks is not refusing to serve African-americans, he or she is refusing to service dirty niggers.

My usage is appropriate and in context, and is not used to offend, it was however used to illustrate the rawness and level of discrimination being portrayed.

You folks make the rules, but I would be surprised if your writer boss would agree with this one.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:36 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Second opinion: Whilst we don't ban words on this site per se, n****r is one of those words which is only going to be judged acceptable in very limited circumstances. There is no reason why you needed to use that word particularly, rather than "black people," "African-Americans" or some other alternative. And yet you chose to use a word which is widely regarded as highly offensive; that's why, in this case, it was entirely reasonable to view your post as trolling. I'm upholding Jakker's judgement.

I needed to use the word because.
Language matters, Will not service niggers, has a much bigger and rawer impact than will not service African Americans. The medic who refuses to service folks is not refusing to serve African-americans, he or she is refusing to service dirty niggers.

My usage is appropriate and in context, and is not used to offend, it was however used to illustrate the rawness and level of discrimination being portrayed.

You folks make the rules, but I would be surprised if your writer boss would agree with this one.

We're not mind readers, we can't tell what the intent is behind every post. If we see language being used in a way that seems deliberately provocative or offensive, we have to treat that as trolling. If you wish to, you are free to submit a final appeal via GHR, but as you've had two mods rule on your case there is no further scope for discussion in this thread.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation