NATION

PASSWORD

Flame/Flamebait in CDT

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Flame/Flamebait in CDT

Postby Luminesa » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:53 pm

Gren’s argument over the God of the Gaps has devolved into various rounds of flaming and flamebait over the last several pages.

viewtopic.php?p=34472726#p34472726
“You’re making me question the merits of Yale Divinity School.” - A clear attack on Tarsonis, a recent Yale grad.

viewtopic.php?p=34470513#p34470513
“I expected more from someone who graduated from Yale.” - Also on Tars.

viewtopic.php?p=34476937#p34476937
“Typical Catholic arrogance.” - Attacking the Catholics on the thread. (Not simply myself, this was a response to Salus...who ironically is not Catholic. So it was intended against the Catholics not the thread in general.)

Among other things, these are a couple in Gren’s posts that have stood-out.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:18 pm

As I have tried to explain more than once, the reference to Tarsonis' alma mater and major are to remind him of the level of discourse he should be maintaining in the discussion. I will be first to admit that I haven't been the most civil poster, however, I am not the only one in that department, as Tarsonis and Lumi have both gotten in more than their fair share of digs at me in that thread, as has Salus. I believe all comments from all sides to be within acceptable boundaries for NSG.

As for the "typical Catholic arrogance" bit, that isn't me attacking Catholic individuals, its me attacking the institution, which seems to arrogantly think it speaks for all Christians. Certain posters (certainly not all Catholics, not even all of them on this forum) seem to buy into that line, from my perspective. I was unaware Salus isn't Catholic, but his rhetoric was certainly reminiscent of rhetoric coming from the Catholic Church.
Last edited by Grenartia on Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Grenartia wrote:As I have tried to explain more than once, the reference to Tarsonis' alma mater and major are to remind him of the level of discourse he should be maintaining in the discussion. I will be first to admit that I haven't been the most civil poster, however, I am not the only one in that department, as Tarsonis and Lumi have both gotten in more than their fair share of digs at me in that thread, as has Salus. I believe all comments from all sides to be within acceptable boundaries for NSG.

As for the "typical Catholic arrogance" bit, that isn't me attacking Catholic individuals, its me attacking the institution, which seems to arrogantly think it speaks for all Christians. Certain posters (certainly not all Catholics, not even all of them on this forum) seem to buy into that line, from my perspective. I was unaware Salus isn't Catholic, but his rhetoric was certainly reminiscent of rhetoric coming from the Catholic Church.

What are you reminding him of? He knows how to debate, you simply don’t like his answers, or any of the answers that have been given to you, and have refused to give any sort of productive alternative to the given theories. Instead you’ve jabbed at his credentials, and at the “intellectual dishonesty” of other posters (simply for not giving you the response you would like), and have accused everyone of having a “martyr complex” for being annoyed with the comments. Nobody asked you to moderate the “level of discourse”, as your name does not happen to be in red text.

I haven’t done any flaming. While I have called-out your posts and your desire to make a pointless circle-jerk, I have not attacked you personally.

You said that specifically to Salus, who you presumed to be Catholic. You never specified that you didn’t think all Catholics were arrogant, and it doesn’t take away from what you posted.
Last edited by Luminesa on Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Lamoni » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:40 am

While you are permitted to post a defense to accusations made against you in the Moderation forum, it is typically wise not to continue your arguments here. Please wait for a resolution to this report. Thank you.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:29 pm

Luminesa wrote:Gren’s argument over the God of the Gaps has devolved into various rounds of flaming and flamebait over the last several pages.

“You’re making me question the merits of Yale Divinity School.” - A clear attack on Tarsonis, a recent Yale grad.

“Typical Catholic arrogance.” - Attacking the Catholics on the thread. (Not simply myself, this was a response to Salus...who ironically is not Catholic. So it was intended against the Catholics not the thread in general.)

Looking at the context, I think not, though both Grenartia and you should consider yourselves recipients of an Ominous Loom, Grenartia for attacking the poster and you for trying to make Grenartia the topic instead of his argument. Despite you thinking he's not worth putting on your Foes list, that is the recommended solution.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Gren’s argument over the God of the Gaps has devolved into various rounds of flaming and flamebait over the last several pages.

Looking at the context, I think not, though both Grenartia and you should consider yourselves recipients of an Ominous Loom, Grenartia for attacking the poster and you for trying to make Grenartia the topic instead of his argument. Despite you thinking he's not worth putting on your Foes list, that is the recommended solution.

I never suggested such and I actually already put them on my foes list, even before I reported them. I was reporting this for the sake of other people. I was not making Gren the topic of the argument, I was reporting them for what I felt was flamebait. If Gren was attacking the poster then by the site’s rules, which I have read, I’m pretty sure that’s flamebait. We have many precedents where a poster has been warned for attacking the posters instead of discussing the topic, I have seen this. I myself got a three-day ban for doing so. Second opinion please.
Last edited by Luminesa on Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Alan Jackson

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:16 pm

I concur with Farn's ruling. I'm not seeing anything worth taking further action on and I have examined the thread fairly thoroughly. There is a spectrum when it comes to the concept of attacking the posters and in this case, there isn't anything worth more than a loom. The thread as a whole is turning more into a Gren's arguments vs. others which isn't the most productive, but not seeing anything more than that and what we've discussed here. I would encourage you all though to take a step back as the back and forth can easily start becoming more and more personal over time.

And with that, I think we are done here for now.
Last edited by Jakker on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation