NATION

PASSWORD

[Q] Question about Similar Symbols

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Cinnibar
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 17, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[Q] Question about Similar Symbols

Postby Cinnibar » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:54 pm

Would the logo of the 1974 Commonwealth Games in New Zealand be considered too similar to a swastika and therefore candidate for a nation's deletion if it were to be used on a flag, even though it's just the letters NZ rotated 4 times in a pattern?

Just wondering.

-Cinnibar

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:00 pm

Again, there's no magic pixel pattern. If it's used on a nation that is obviously trying to get pass the prohibition on malicious content, it will be struck as such. If it isn't, it won't be.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Cinnibar
Bureaucrat

Postby Cinnibar » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:10 pm

So this, for example, would fall under the same category, then.

(THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE IMAGE, I AM JUST MERELY SHOWING YOU IT AND DO NOT INTEND ANY HARM)

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:20 pm

Cinnibar wrote:So this, for example, would fall under the same category, then.

(THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE IMAGE, I AM JUST MERELY SHOWING YOU IT AND DO NOT INTEND ANY HARM)

As Nervun noted, it is just as much about context as it is about the image itself. Something like that seems fine in my personal opinion on the surface.
Last edited by Jakker on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Cinnibar
Bureaucrat

Postby Cinnibar » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:45 pm

What if the symbol was painted black for a fascist nation and put on a flag then? Too risky? (I'm only asking because I might pretend to be a fascist in-game in the future, and know that red and white circles with symbols are obvious high risks for deletion, which I never planned to use, I merely planned to use a Bi-color flag with the symbol in the middle band. I'm merely looking for the opinion of one more moderator, and after said moderator has spoken, I recommend the Question be closed once I get my answer.)

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:04 pm

Cinnibar wrote:What if the symbol was painted black for a fascist nation and put on a flag then? Too risky? (I'm only asking because I might pretend to be a fascist in-game in the future, and know that red and white circles with symbols are obvious high risks for deletion, which I never planned to use, I merely planned to use a Bi-color flag with the symbol in the middle band. I'm merely looking for the opinion of one more moderator, and after said moderator has spoken, I recommend the Question be closed once I get my answer.)

We are not going to flesh out an answer for a hypothetical. Look around at other nations that match what you're looking to do and do some research on the forums.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Cinnibar
Bureaucrat

Postby Cinnibar » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:32 pm

apologies.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation