NATION

PASSWORD

[APPEAL] Warn for Flaming

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Reventus Koth
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

[APPEAL] Warn for Flaming

Postby Reventus Koth » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Hey, mod team. I'm gonna be that guy and request a second opinion on a flaming warning I was given by Frisbeeteria earlier today. The argument used in the warn was that of the casual reader, who would be able to take an unbiased view at a forum interaction and be able to tell if its flaming or not without context.

I am aware that this argument is employed in situations such as mine and that the OSRS warns players to be careful with their on-site interactions lest others take it as more sinister than it was intended to be. Despite this, I would like to present the context behind my interaction with the thread OP, which goes back to 2015. The OP has two years in a row had a shoutout to me in their nomination rules, Due to a time I screwed up in the 2015 awards by not scrolling down in the ticket box.
Gameplay Awards 2015 wrote:
Ambroscus Koth wrote:Shit you didn't put on the ticket:

Scroll down.

Since then, the OP and I have had dry exchanges during the nomination process where I comment on their shoutout in 2016 and 2017:
Reventus Koth wrote:
The Gameplay Awards 2016 wrote:The nomination ticket has a scroll bar, Koth.

Fight me.

Reventus Koth wrote:
The Gameplay Awards 2017 wrote:The nomination ticket still has a scroll bar, Koth.

As per usual, fuck you.

The Blaatschapen reported my post citing disbelief that myself and the other poster could be interacting in a friendly manner in this scenario because the poster's identity is not publicly known, and I do not believe this to be a strong argument given the context I am presenting in this appeal. I'm sure that if I added something as silly as a ":P" or a ":^)" I would not have been struck by a casual reader argument, because it would be more likely that a random passerby is going to understand that my reply to the OP was non-serious. Given the context of our previous exchanges, however, which are all conducted in a dry manner, I don't believe it can be construed as flaming.

While I understand the criterion Frisbeeteria used in his ruling, we probably have two different ideas of what a "casual observer" of the Gameplay forum would be thinking of my post's intent. This is the basis I am challenging the ruling on. I can't imagine a reasonable, rational user of the Gameplay forum (does such a mythical person even exist? :P) taking offense to this exchange. If I was so intent on hurting the poster's feelings, would I have then immediately followed up with filling out a nomination in accordance with the rules of his/her thread, enthusiastically even, being the first to do so? To me, it doesn't make sense.

Thank you. The cookies are in the oven and shall be dished out to the appeal mods upon viewing ;)
Formerly known as Ambroscus Koth, +1843 posts. Trust no one.
Xanthal wrote:Only raiders can win in this war- a defender can keep them from winning one region, one update at a time, but there will always be the next region, the next update, and the next, forever.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:45 pm

Appeal granted. It's understandable that Fris made the call that he did, and a gentle reminder that not everyone will be in on once a year running jokes seems appropriate here. The warning has been removed, though the warning notation on your user control panel will still say that it's there because that's just how the forum works.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Return to Moderation