NATION

PASSWORD

[r] Getting heated in hockey thread

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

[r] Getting heated in hockey thread

Postby Kaboomlandia » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:42 pm

Starts from here.

Argument between Gim and Tarsonis, seems to be devolving into baiting at this point.
Last edited by Kaboomlandia on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:16 pm

I can see where it got a little heated, but nothing clearly over the line, and it looks like the conversation is starting to get back to hockey. I think we can let it slide. Let us know if the thread starts deteriorating further.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:16 pm

viewtopic.php?p=31624472#p31624472

They're going at it again.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Audioslavia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Audioslavia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:24 am

Ah, nothing like a good hockey fight.

It's well within the rules, from what I can see. Two minute penalty for roughing*, maybe, but we don't have a serviceable penalty box to put them in.

Let us know if they start calling each other names or harassing one another.

* this knowledge of hockey terms brought to you by NHL '99

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:01 pm

viewtopic.php?p=31635426#p31635426

we had moved on but now he's instigating and baiting again.

This feels like a stupid report, but he keeps trying to push that nerve.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:03 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=31635426#p31635426

we had moved on but now he's instigating and baiting again.

This feels like a stupid report, but he keeps trying to push that nerve.

I'll leave this open for another mod since I'm not an expert on the NHL, but putting that user on ignore isn't a bad idea.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:55 am

If I may interject as well, the sort of subtle baiting seen in the post Tarsonis reported is far from uncommon. Gim has a habit of making such comments to anyone who has the audacity to cheer for a team/player he dislikes. At a similar time to the post Tarsonis already reported, he also made this post in response to me: viewtopic.php?p=31635302#p31635302 Now I can handle some good natured ribbing of my team, but the way I read these posts, his goal seems to be to get under everyone's skin.

In addition, when it became clear to him that he was not going to sway me in our debate, he started bringing up basketball, as if the fact that I like basketball somehow makes me unqualified to talk about hockey, and also not so subtly hinting that I don't watch enough hockey to have a valid opinion. Also, the winky face at the end of the first post linked below is a common thing he does that reinforces the idea that he's just egging us on.
viewtopic.php?p=31635568#p31635568
viewtopic.php?p=31635630#p31635630

I realize these may not rise to the level of actionable, but if nothing else, it sets precedent for the next report next time this behavior comes up again (And I've no doubt that it will).

In one final addendum, he also has a habit of trading spammy one line posts with Outer Sparta that are at best, tangentially related to the thread's topic. If you glance over their exchange on page 240-241, starting here: viewtopic.php?p=31637672&sid=c4d47370346e5379c1192474b1db8979#p31637672, you'll see what I mean.

Thank you for your time.
Last edited by Idzequitch on Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Gim
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:07 am

Idzequitch wrote:If I may interject as well, the sort of subtle baiting seen in the post Tarsonis reported is far from uncommon. Gim has a habit of making such comments to anyone who has the audacity to cheer for a team/player he dislikes. At a similar time to the post Tarsonis already reported, he also made this post in response to me: viewtopic.php?p=31635302#p31635302 Now I can handle some good natured ribbing of my team, but the way I read these posts, his goal seems to be to get under everyone's skin.

To clarify my intentions with the posts I made, first of all, I don't bait people just because they talk about teams I dislike. I have teams I dislike, but I do not post about them to the point of nicknaming and harassing people. The players and teams about which I debate are those I like, and I was only talking about them on a realistic perspective.

In addition, when it became clear to him that he was not going to sway me in our debate, he started bringing up basketball, as if the fact that I like basketball somehow makes me unqualified to talk about hockey, and also not so subtly hinting that I don't watch enough hockey to have a valid opinion. Also, the winky face at the end of the first post linked below is a common thing he does that reinforces the idea that he's just egging us on.
viewtopic.php?p=31635568#p31635568
viewtopic.php?p=31635630#p31635630

I was only telling him that a hockey goaltender bears most of the responsibility of the goals allowed unlike basketball, where there is no goaltender and only players bear the responsibility of points allowed. It was a legitimate debate.

In the following post, Idzequitch made a comment that I do not know common sense, and, although the post is now edited, he included a smiling emoticon.
viewtopic.php?p=31635590#p31635590

I'm not wishing the aforementioned post to be actionable; however, I would like to stress the fact I'm not the only one who has included an emoticon on one of the posts I made to debate.

[quote[In one final addendum, he also has a habit of trading spammy one line posts with Outer Sparta that are at best, tangentially related to the thread's topic. If you glance over their exchange on page 240-241, starting here: viewtopic.php?p=31637672&sid=c4d47370346e5379c1192474b1db8979#p31637672, you'll see what I mean.

Thank you for your time.[/quote]

Sometimes, we talk about hockey, and jokes may come. We would never make jokes against people participating in the thread or anyone in the forum; they are only made towards sports players and sports teams.

All in all, hopefully, my sincerity and innocence can be understood, and, once again, thank you for your time for perusing on this matter.
All You Need to Know about Gim
Male, 17, Protestant Christian, British

Audioslavia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Audioslavia » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:31 am

I once went to an ice hockey match (granted it was Edinburgh vs Guildford) and I had NHL 99 for the Playstation, so I'd say I was pretty much an expert.

With things like trolling/baiting, we tend to look at the intent behind the post. I feel some comments there were on the line.

Nevertheless, I think there's a line between trolling and ribbing and I don't think we quite passed it.

Being overly critical of players on opposing sides is always going to annoy people, mind, regardless of the sport. Be more careful with that.

Lay off the idiotic goaltender arguments for a while (hockey fans of all people should know never to rush the goalie). If we see the same inane arguments coming up over and over then we'll happily dish out warnings.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation