NATION

PASSWORD

Brining up of past offences/Bullying (discussion)

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Rifty
Minister

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Brining up of past offences/Bullying (discussion)

Postby Rifty » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:31 am

Repost of my comments towards to bringing up of another players past offences~

"Can you guys seriously stop posting peoples last records on here? It really just make a you a target when you get in disputes for people to quote it and call you a rule breaker. I know whenever you guys post about my "past record" or how I'm on thin ice; I can't help but feel like you guys are attacking me personally and it really isn't a good feeling since one slip up speaking to you guys about it and the thread is locked or I am deleted yet again.

I think it's a fairly reasonable request to have you guys not make mine or anyone else's past matters public knowledge and up for discussion.

When a police office handcuffs you - he doesn't announce how you got done for drink driving two years ago and you have served 2 years in prison for assault.

I have no idea how much more civil I can be about it - but I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way and are just too fearful of deletion to voice it.

So can you moderators refrain from doing it in the future? Because it really is bullying and singling people out...the exact thing you call people out on constantly"
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Riksdagsledamöter of Balder
Legionnaire and Councilor of Osiris
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

------------------------------✥ ✥ Independent ✥ ✥------------------------------

General response to stupid comments

DWAsnia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby DWAsnia » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:54 am

Needs to be :arrow: Moderation.
<Acario> it is Drasnia's job to shit in people's cheerios On a self-imposed forum hiatus.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:55 am

Moved to moderation
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Vladisvok Destino
Envoy

Founded: Aug 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vladisvok Destino » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:38 am

Rifty wrote:So can you moderators refrain from doing it in the future? Because it really is bullying and singling people out...the exact thing you call people out on constantly"

Maybe I'm missing something, but how is the mods trying to give a reminder that you should be careful about rule breaking "bullying"? Especially when the simple answer is "well if you stopped breaking the rules the mods would stop having to make these posts".

Seems like the problem is with the players rather than the staff.
When plumbing the depths of depravity, I must remember to come up for air.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:45 am

i would say the opposite, a record of deats and dos'es would br useful to the general player. the player would know who they are dealing with, and aid transparency in evaluationg moderator decisions.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:34 am

Vladisvok Destino wrote:
Rifty wrote:So can you moderators refrain from doing it in the future? Because it really is bullying and singling people out...the exact thing you call people out on constantly"

Maybe I'm missing something, but how is the mods trying to give a reminder that you should be careful about rule breaking "bullying"? Especially when the simple answer is "well if you stopped breaking the rules the mods would stop having to make these posts".

Seems like the problem is with the players rather than the staff.

I second this.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:46 pm

If the player doesn't want their past offenses to be known, there's a simple solution; Don't have any past offenses.

In the thread where this 'controversy' was/is originally being discussed, the mod in question only said the player was "on thin ice". It's not as if the mod listed the player's past offenses for all to see.

Also, if that's considered 'bullying', then we are really lowering the standards on what can be considered bullying.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Rifty
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:40 pm

I'm not saying rule breaking should be allowed - go ape shit on the. I'm just saying when you get a warning for something and the mods point out you are on thin ice in the public eye it is embarrassing for the individual. Isn't fair to the person. I think it's a rather reasonable request to not have your past offences something for everyone to know.
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

Rifty
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:44 pm

I also had no idea where I posted this - ussualy get where I put it right. Was like 2am for me and I hadn't slept the night before xD
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Euroslavia » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:11 pm

Rifty wrote:I'm not saying rule breaking should be allowed - go ape shit on the. I'm just saying when you get a warning for something and the mods point out you are on thin ice in the public eye it is embarrassing for the individual. Isn't fair to the person. I think it's a rather reasonable request to not have your past offences something for everyone to know.

That's the point. You (Not saying you specifically, just using this as an example) have broken rules multiples times and continue to so. It's your responsibility to stay in line with the rules, and saying "You're on thin ice" isn't any more embarrassment than actually breaking the rules themselves. At the point where it becomes "You're on thin ice", it's been made clear that past attempts at correcting behavior have failed. Personally, I don't like to use that phrase, I prefer statements along the lines of "You've built up quite the history of offenses, I'd strongly suggest you correct your behavior to prevent further escalation" or some variant.
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

Rifty
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:21 pm

Euroslavia wrote:
Rifty wrote:I'm not saying rule breaking should be allowed - go ape shit on the. I'm just saying when you get a warning for something and the mods point out you are on thin ice in the public eye it is embarrassing for the individual. Isn't fair to the person. I think it's a rather reasonable request to not have your past offences something for everyone to know.

That's the point. You (Not saying you specifically, just using this as an example) have broken rules multiples times and continue to so. It's your responsibility to stay in line with the rules, and saying "You're on thin ice" isn't any more embarrassment than actually breaking the rules themselves. At the point where it becomes "You're on thin ice", it's been made clear that past attempts at correcting behavior have failed. Personally, I don't like to use that phrase, I prefer statements along the lines of "You've built up quite the history of offenses, I'd strongly suggest you correct your behavior to prevent further escalation" or some variant.

I don't think you moderators really know how it feels to have it drilled into you with all your peers watching that you are on thin ice. It's embarresing and targeting an individual. That's not to say that there past shouldn't be brought into it but kept between you moderators and he individual. I'm asking for no variant...I'm asking that you all refrain from the behaviour all together. Drill into them what there offence is....shoot them a TG about how they're on thin ice. I've gotten telegrams before where I should knock something off...

Being honest I know for myself if I was told over telegram to knock it off I would be in a lot of a better mood and a ton more willing to consider it rather than sit there being angry that you made me seem like a real asshole by bringing that up.

Leningrad and myself had a skype call for about an hour about how we don't care what they say to us over telegrams or how they bring It into the matter...just not make it public knowledge that we are on the way out.

I really am asking also for myself - I know how personally it makes you so embarrassed and angry at that person. Driving a larger wedge between moderators and players; especially those who they need to deal with most often...
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:30 pm

Only, no one is listing all your offenses for all the public to see with a statement like that. It's simply a notification that continued actions - forumside, they tend to be rather visible, what with the bright *** Warning *** text - are going to net you some unpleasant results.

Very few people get to that point. It isn't something that's a habit. So if you have gotten to that point, as Euro said - it would appear that other warnings, bans, admonishments, have not gotten through. Or the behavior would have ceased.

If a moderator - or other player even - were listing all your offenses in public, that would be a problem.

If other players are harassing you, report them.

If your reputation and actions on site have deprived you of willing participants, partners, etc. Those who make a poor showing can often develop a reputation that others choose to distance themselves from. That is on you, not the other players, and not the site moderators. No one can be forced to interact with any other player.

Again, 'you' here used as the general - not 'you in particular'.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:32 pm

Rifty wrote:
Euroslavia wrote:That's the point. You (Not saying you specifically, just using this as an example) have broken rules multiples times and continue to so. It's your responsibility to stay in line with the rules, and saying "You're on thin ice" isn't any more embarrassment than actually breaking the rules themselves. At the point where it becomes "You're on thin ice", it's been made clear that past attempts at correcting behavior have failed. Personally, I don't like to use that phrase, I prefer statements along the lines of "You've built up quite the history of offenses, I'd strongly suggest you correct your behavior to prevent further escalation" or some variant.

I don't think you moderators really know how it feels to have it drilled into you with all your peers watching that you are on thin ice. It's embarresing and targeting an individual. That's not to say that there past shouldn't be brought into it but kept between you moderators and he individual. I'm asking for no variant...I'm asking that you all refrain from the behaviour all together. Drill into them what there offence is....shoot them a TG about how they're on thin ice. I've gotten telegrams before where I should knock something off...

Being honest I know for myself if I was told over telegram to knock it off I would be in a lot of a better mood and a ton more willing to consider it rather than sit there being angry that you made me seem like a real asshole by bringing that up.

Leningrad and myself had a skype call for about an hour about how we don't care what they say to us over telegrams or how they bring It into the matter...just not make it public knowledge that we are on the way out.

I really am asking also for myself - I know how personally it makes you so embarrassed and angry at that person. Driving a larger wedge between moderators and players; especially those who they need to deal with most often...

If you find being told that you are "on thin ice" or some other variation of that admonishment, maybe you should familiarize yourself with the rules and thus stop breaking them? This would eliminate the problem.

One Stop Rules Shop.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The Floating Island of the Sleeping God
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Floating Island of the Sleeping God » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:34 pm

Rifty wrote:
Euroslavia wrote:That's the point. You (Not saying you specifically, just using this as an example) have broken rules multiples times and continue to so. It's your responsibility to stay in line with the rules, and saying "You're on thin ice" isn't any more embarrassment than actually breaking the rules themselves. At the point where it becomes "You're on thin ice", it's been made clear that past attempts at correcting behavior have failed. Personally, I don't like to use that phrase, I prefer statements along the lines of "You've built up quite the history of offenses, I'd strongly suggest you correct your behavior to prevent further escalation" or some variant.

As I understand, the public statement serves a three: first, it does a service to you. The mods don't want to punish you, so if they see you heading down the path to red text in a way you have before then they'll let you know. Second, it makes the player accountable. If a mod TGs you that you're on thin ice for something small and then later warns you in-thread for a pattern of small things, it seems to other players that you got warned over a single small thing, leading to calls of "mod abuse" and "the mods are fascists". With the public announcement before the warn, it shows that you were told to watch yourself and ignored that instruction before being warned. Third and finally, it's much more effort on the part of the mods to make every "thin ice statement" into a TG rather than rolling them into a post they're already making.
Edit: You, of course, being a general you.
Last edited by The Floating Island of the Sleeping God on Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When Fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and bearing the cross."
-Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here
The Blaatschapen wrote:Just to note, liberals are not sheep. Sheep are liberals ;)

Catholic Priest of Lithianity

Rifty
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:58 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Only, no one is listing all your offenses for all the public to see with a statement like that. It's simply a notification that continued actions - forumside, they tend to be rather visible, what with the bright *** Warning *** text - are going to net you some unpleasant results.

Very few people get to that point. It isn't something that's a habit. So if you have gotten to that point, as Euro said - it would appear that other warnings, bans, admonishments, have not gotten through. Or the behavior would have ceased.

If a moderator - or other player even - were listing all your offenses in public, that would be a problem.

If your reputation and actions on site have deprived you of willing participants, partners, etc. Those who make a poor showing can often develop a reputation that others choose to distance themselves from. That is on you, not the other players, and not the site moderators. No one can be forced to interact with any other player.

The warning text is fine...it's the last offences what I'm saying. I'm asking that you don't do this particular thing...at-least not publicly. I'm not saying it's being done deliberately to upset the reader; I know it comes with the intention of having them behave. However I find myself if anything it makes me irritated....and than irrational in my reply...
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:07 pm

Rifty wrote:
Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Only, no one is listing all your offenses for all the public to see with a statement like that. It's simply a notification that continued actions - forumside, they tend to be rather visible, what with the bright *** Warning *** text - are going to net you some unpleasant results.

The warning text is fine...it's the last offences what I'm saying. I'm asking that you don't do this particular thing...at-least not publicly. I'm not saying it's being done deliberately to upset the reader; I know it comes with the intention of having them behave. However I find myself if anything it makes me irritated....and than irrational in my reply...

That would be a problem that you need to get over.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:20 pm

I don't see the issue. Reminding you that you're treading on shaky ground isn't bullying, it's actually kind of polite. Doing it publicly isn't bad, either, because it gives other posters an idea of your posting history. If someone is warned and then told that, with their history of trolling, they're heading for deletion, that lets me know that said poster is a troll and to ignore them. It's a non-issue.
Insert trite farewell here

Rifty
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:22 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Rifty wrote:The warning text is fine...it's the last offences what I'm saying. I'm asking that you don't do this particular thing...at-least not publicly. I'm not saying it's being done deliberately to upset the reader; I know it comes with the intention of having them behave. However I find myself if anything it makes me irritated....and than irrational in my reply...

That would be a problem that you need to get over.

Well look at me using the hierarchy of hazard control and aiming for the best outcome through removal of an issue..

Scomagia wrote:I don't see the issue. Reminding you that you're treading on shaky ground isn't bullying, it's actually kind of polite. Doing it publicly isn't bad, either, because it gives other posters an idea of your posting history. If someone is warned and then told that, with their history of trolling, they're heading for deletion, that lets me know that said poster is a troll and to ignore them. It's a non-issue.

It's public humiliation....it is an issue. Ever had it occur where they've told you that you are on thin ice?
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:24 pm

Rifty wrote:

thats on the player to grow up, not on moderation.

the community has a right to know what they are dealing with. other sites list moderation/admin actions in one handy thread so it can be easily checked in one place.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:25 pm

Rifty wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:That would be a problem that you need to get over.

Well look at me using the hierarchy of hazard control and aiming for the best outcome through removal of an issue..

Scomagia wrote:I don't see the issue. Reminding you that you're treading on shaky ground isn't bullying, it's actually kind of polite. Doing it publicly isn't bad, either, because it gives other posters an idea of your posting history. If someone is warned and then told that, with their history of trolling, they're heading for deletion, that lets me know that said poster is a troll and to ignore them. It's a non-issue.

It's public humiliation....it is an issue. Ever had it occur where they've told you that you are on thin ice?

It isn't public humiliation, it's a reminder. It's no more public humiliation than a warning itself. As to your question, no. That has never happened to me. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever been officially warned. But that's what comes of following the rules.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:26 pm

Rifty wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:That would be a problem that you need to get over.

yes, and the thoughtful person tries to figure out why it was said and how to adjust their behaviour, and does not throw a temper tantrum over it

Rifty
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:28 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Rifty wrote:Well look at me using the hierarchy of hazard control and aiming for the best outcome through removal of an issue..

It isn't public humiliation, it's a reminder. It's no more public humiliation than a warning itself. As to your question, no. That has never happened to me. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever been officially warned. But that's what comes of following the rules.

Exactly - you have not been in the position so you can't completely put yourself in said position. It is public humiliation and it feels the exact same way as if someone stood ins. Group and started yelling your your secrets. No person is proud of their rule breakages and they would much rather they be kept private. Sure at the crime scene give the warning...but not this.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Rifty wrote:Well look at me using the hierarchy of hazard control and aiming for the best outcome through removal of an issue..

yes, and the thoughtful person tries to figure out why it was said and how to adjust their behaviour, and does not throw a temper tantrum over it

Annnnnd people do that. Not throwing a temper tantrum at all...making a rational point about the added stuff of past offences; not the warnings.
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

Furry Alairia and Algeria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Rifty wrote:
Scomagia wrote:It isn't public humiliation, it's a reminder. It's no more public humiliation than a warning itself. As to your question, no. That has never happened to me. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever been officially warned. But that's what comes of following the rules.

Exactly - you have not been in the position so you can't completely put yourself in said position. It is public humiliation and it feels the exact same way as if someone stood ins. Group and started yelling your your secrets. No person is proud of their rule breakages and they would much rather they be kept private. Sure at the crime scene give the warning...but not this.

Ethel mermania wrote:yes, and the thoughtful person tries to figure out why it was said and how to adjust their behaviour, and does not throw a temper tantrum over it

Annnnnd people do that. Not throwing a temper tantrum at all...making a rational point about the added stuff of past offences; not the warnings.
Not everyone is embarrassed but don't feel proud of it. If they need to remind you, there's no reason why they have to tell you in private. That way, people know why you were deleted looking back at your record, but nonetheless should use better wording than just skating on thin ice. It sound as if as you will drop through soon, and not eventually, which is sometimes right, and sometimes not. Like Euroslavia said:
Euroslavia wrote:That's the point. You (Not saying you specifically, just using this as an example) have broken rules multiples times and continue to so. It's your responsibility to stay in line with the rules, and saying "You're on thin ice" isn't any more embarrassment than actually breaking the rules themselves. At the point where it becomes "You're on thin ice", it's been made clear that past attempts at correcting behavior have failed. Personally, I don't like to use that phrase, I prefer statements along the lines of "You've built up quite the history of offenses, I'd strongly suggest you correct your behavior to prevent further escalation"

The last part would be more correct, but either way, the administrators and moderators have to find a way to inform you.
Last edited by Furry Alairia and Algeria on Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In memory of Dyakovo - may he never be forgotten - Дьяковожс ученик

I do not reply to telegrams, unless you are someone I know.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:34 pm

Rifty wrote:
Scomagia wrote:It isn't public humiliation, it's a reminder. It's no more public humiliation than a warning itself. As to your question, no. That has never happened to me. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever been officially warned. But that's what comes of following the rules.

Well, if one follows the rules it isn't much a concern, is it? Anyway, it isn't public humiliation and it is in no way similar to someone yelling your secrets. Your post history, including posts that have gotten you warned, is readily available. Indeed, for a poster with a low post count such as yourself, it wouldn't be hard at all for interested parties to quickly search your history for offences. The mods aren't informing anyone of anything they couldn't find out themselves.

Rifty
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:45 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Rifty wrote:Exactly - you have not been in the position so you can't completely put yourself in said position. It is public humiliation and it feels the exact same way as if someone stood ins. Group and started yelling your your secrets. No person is proud of their rule breakages and they would much rather they be kept private. Sure at the crime scene give the warning...but not this.

Well, if one follows the rules it isn't much a concern, is it? Anyway, it isn't public humiliation and it is in no way similar to someone yelling your secrets. Your post history, including posts that have gotten you warned, is readily available. Indeed, for a poster with a low post count such as yourself, it wouldn't be hard at all for interested parties to quickly search your history for offences. The mods aren't informing anyone of anything they couldn't find out themselves.

Humiliated: make (someone) feel ashamed and foolish by injuring their dignity or pride

Humiliation: The act of being humiliated

Public humiliation: to be humiliated in a public setting

I'm failing to see how telling the world that you break the rules is not going to damage you dignity and pride. Oh yea and foolish...and of course ashamed...

It's obvious the world is happy for this to happen to a small group of people; eh. I'll drop the topic instead of arguing with sheep.
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads