NATION

PASSWORD

Discussion about R/D Game and RP Opting Out

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nierr
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:44 pm

Cata Larga wrote:
Nierr wrote:Actually, I give to you one of the very first RP mentors:Milograd, also a member of The Black Hawks.

He is no longer a mentor, and justly so. His green jacket was forfeit the moment he started to delve into R/D.

Prove he lost mentorship for joining in on R/D.

Also, he was involved in gameplay long before mentors were a thing.

If you don't know what you're talking about, it's probably best not to post.

New Babylonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Babylonia » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:And what specific regions are those? Are we to go by who has the "Role Play" tag? Interesting note, Nova Chrysalia, which is SSC's region, doesn't have a "Role Play" tag on it. Guess his region isn't a RP region, even though it specifically states otherwise in the WFE. And how many people who don't Role Play would throw up that tag when they learn no Raider will attack them if they have it?

No, specific names of specific regions please.

There's ~17000 regions in the game. NO ONE is going to compile such a list for you out of that number.

Soldati senza confini wrote:
New Babylonia wrote:It stops raiders, but it doesn't stop unwelcome people from entering the region. You need an EXEC delegate for that.
Babylonia, if this is about stopping unwelcome people from entering the region why not just have the founder put passwords and, put a disclaimer in the WFE to telegram the Delegate and put a special dispatch on the delegate's Factbook detailing who he hands the password to and the criteria followed (anyone can ask and get the password, or the person has to meet certain criteria)?

The point is, for founder-less regions, non-exec delegate is not an option, and that is just one example why.
The power of self is unlimited and ultimate, an unending wave of pure energy and being that could never be stopped, apart from time and forever ingrained into the fabrics of all being, this is the truth of Korrelian Existentialism.

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧
Pronouns? Just use whatever, it's all the same to me :P
You will always have your friends, with your friends, you will never be alone. There will always be a light. Friendship is Magic, its the magic that brings the most glimmering lights of hope to the darkest of worlds. And as long as you have it, you will never have to be afraid of the dark. - Me, New Babylonia ^^

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:51 pm

Cata Larga wrote:
Nierr wrote:Actually, I give to you one of the very first RP mentors:Milograd, also a member of The Black Hawks.

He is no longer a mentor, and justly so. His green jacket was forfeit the moment he started to delve into R/D.

To be fair, and I'm saying this as a mentor, I highly highly highly highly doubt he lost his mentorship because he delved into R/D. I've done defending as a mentor before. And I probably wouldn't lose mentorship if I went into raiding.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Cata Larga
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cata Larga » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Nierr wrote:
Cata Larga wrote:He is no longer a mentor, and justly so. His green jacket was forfeit the moment he started to delve into R/D.

Prove he lost mentorship for joining in on R/D.

Then he never should have been a mentor. RP mentors have no place in R/D, and if mentorship somehow wasn't lost because of it, it ought have been and it ought to be.
The Confederated Free Cities and Departments of the Catalarguense Commonwealth
“Invikta" - "Unconquered"
Capital: Puerte-de-Liberete | Largest City: Kapa-Trinieta | Population: 97,370,679
Quotes
Seljuq Kyiv wrote:>jesus: the secret muslim
Constaniana wrote:No, you see, when a football player is good enough, they start getting funny, but natural, urges. Urges that tell them to mark their dominance over other players by sinking their teeth into their flesh.
Storefronts
None worth mentioning

Alliances
None

Current Foreign Involvements
None

Miscellany
The Litorean Catholic Church recognizes the authority of the Roman Curia

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:55 pm

New Babylonia wrote:
Evil Wolf wrote:And what specific regions are those? Are we to go by who has the "Role Play" tag? Interesting note, Nova Chrysalia, which is SSC's region, doesn't have a "Role Play" tag on it. Guess his region isn't a RP region, even though it specifically states otherwise in the WFE. And how many people who don't Role Play would throw up that tag when they learn no Raider will attack them if they have it?

No, specific names of specific regions please.

There's ~17000 regions in the game. NO ONE is going to compile such a list for you out of that number.

If we can compile a team of, say, 100 people we can go to more or less 170 regions each and ask people if they want to be out of the R/D game completely or if they have any interest of going into it, or what is their opinion about the R/D game. We only would need to ask the founder and/or delegate of the region since they speak for the region.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:57 pm

Fun Fact: Almost 16000 (87%) of those are either password protected, founderless, or both.
Last edited by Nephmir on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

Nierr
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:57 pm

Cata Larga wrote:
Nierr wrote:Prove he lost mentorship for joining in on R/D.

Then he never should have been a mentor. RP mentors have no place in R/D, and if mentorship somehow wasn't lost because of it, it ought have been and it ought to be.

No. You're wrong. You're so wrong it's even funny.

You can be an r/der and an RPer and to pretend that R/Ding somehow effects RP mentoring is a joke.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:58 pm

Nephmir wrote:

Fun Fact: Almost 16000 (87%) of those are either password protected, founderless, or both.

So, that knocks out more than 1000 regions.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Nierr
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:59 pm

Nephmir wrote:

You have a terrible definition of fun.

Cata Larga
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cata Larga » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:02 pm

Nierr wrote:
Cata Larga wrote:Then he never should have been a mentor. RP mentors have no place in R/D, and if mentorship somehow wasn't lost because of it, it ought have been and it ought to be.

No. You're wrong. You're so wrong it's even funny.

You can be an r/der and an RPer and to pretend that R/Ding somehow effects RP mentoring is a joke.

I'd find it hard to trust an RP mentor who could, by all means, be involved in the planning of raids of RP regions.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.
Capital: Puerte-de-Liberete | Largest City: Kapa-Trinieta | Population: 97,370,679
Quotes
Constaniana wrote:No, you see, when a football player is good enough, they start getting funny, but natural, urges. Urges that tell them to mark their dominance over other players by sinking their teeth into their flesh.
Storefronts
None worth mentioning

Alliances
None

None

Miscellany

Nierr
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:03 pm

Cata Larga wrote:
Nierr wrote:No. You're wrong. You're so wrong it's even funny.

I'd find it hard to trust an RP mentor who could, by all means, be involved in the planning of raids of RP regions.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Yes. Especially as, to my knowledge, Milograd has always spoken out against R/D involvement in RP, to the extent that it's part of the reason he couped TSP.
Last edited by Nierr on Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Virana
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:04 pm

Cata Larga wrote:
Nierr wrote:No. You're wrong. You're so wrong it's even funny.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

R/D stands for "raiding/defending", in case you didn't know.

I've done R/D as a mentor before. I don't see what defending has to do with being an RP mentor. Nor do I see what raiding TSP (not an RP-dedicated region, mind you) has to do with being an RP mentor.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:21 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Milo didn't even raid TSP. It was a coup from within, and he held an elected position. Right?
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

South Pacific Belschaft
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby South Pacific Belschaft » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:30 pm

Maltropia wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but Milo didn't even raid TSP. It was a coup from within, and he held an elected position. Right?

Correct. Anyone calling it a raid knows nothing about GP and should be ignored on that basis.
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF BELSCHAFT
GUARDIAN OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC

With the cooperation of Federation Forces, all of your bases now belong to us.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:33 pm

Nierr wrote:Yes. Especially as, to my knowledge, Milograd has always spoken out against R/D involvement in RP, to the extent that it's part of the reason he couped TSP.

It was.

Virana
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:37 pm

Maltropia wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but Milo didn't even raid TSP. It was a coup from within, and he held an elected position. Right?

Yeah, that's right - my mistake.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:11 pm

Hell, I've done defending in the past, though that was before the concept of a P2TM Mentor (or P2TM itself) were things.

Mentors can do R/D. It does not effect their mentoring.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

The Batorys
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:29 pm

What if regions could opt-out of R/D, but the penalty for that would be that if you came from an an opt-out region, if you were a WA member, you wouldn't be able to endorse anyone after moving regions for like, I don't know, a couple weeks or a month or something? So you couldn't just spur of the moment move from an opt-out region and take part in a raid or a defense.

That way they couldn't really be used as bases for R/D while having protection from it.
Mallorea and Riva should resign
This is an alternate history version of Callisdrun.
Here is the (incomplete) Factbook
Ask me about The Forgotten Lands!
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:37 pm

The Batorys wrote:What if regions could opt-out of R/D, but the penalty for that would be that if you came from an an opt-out region, if you were a WA member, you wouldn't be able to endorse anyone after moving regions for like, I don't know, a couple weeks or a month or something? So you couldn't just spur of the moment move from an opt-out region and take part in a raid or a defense.

That way they couldn't really be used as bases for R/D while having protection from it.

Even more coding chaos which will make it unlikely, but definitely a good safeguard idea in theory.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

The Batorys
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:49 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
The Batorys wrote:What if regions could opt-out of R/D, but the penalty for that would be that if you came from an an opt-out region, if you were a WA member, you wouldn't be able to endorse anyone after moving regions for like, I don't know, a couple weeks or a month or something? So you couldn't just spur of the moment move from an opt-out region and take part in a raid or a defense.

Even more coding chaos which will make it unlikely, but definitely a good safeguard idea in theory.

Yeah, I know it would be logistically possibly difficult to code, but I was just thinking of the various arguments against an opt-out, mainly the ones about how such a thing would be abused, and the idea just struck me that to avoid an opt-out being abused, there needed to be a significant enough drawback to using it, for an individual user, so that it wouldn't be used unless you really wanted to opt-out of R/D for the immediate future. To work, it has to be enough of a pain in the ass that you won't use it unless you're serious.

Making it so that having a WA nation in an opt-out region would disqualify it from participating in even endorsing a delegate for two weeks or something after leaving that region is just the first thing that sprang to mind. Is two weeks a long time, in NS terms? Sure, but if it's going to resist abuse, a solution needs to have a pretty potent downside. We could even make it a month or more.

I don't mean for this to replace founders or passwords, by the way. Obviously raider regions and any regions that wanted to be open to people who wanted to do several aspects of NS including gameplay wouldn't set the opt-out, because that would discourage anyone even remotely interested in gameplay from joining. It would make it so that if you chose to opt-out of R/D, you'd have to be pretty damn committed to that stance, because you really would be deciding that you couldn't participate for quite a while after, even if you changed your mind.
Last edited by The Batorys on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is an alternate history version of Callisdrun.
Here is the (incomplete) Factbook
Ask me about The Forgotten Lands!
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:02 pm

Have you guys even taken a look at the R/D summit:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=258968

Look at all those ideas that are going to be implemented. This will definitely change the R/D game.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:04 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:Have you guys even taken a look at the R/D summit:

Look at all those ideas that are going to be implemented. This will definitely change the R/D game.

Yes.

Doesn't mean we can't look for any supplemental measures to further protect people from experiencing too much of an inconvenience due to a game they do not want to be associated with.

Cata Larga
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cata Larga » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Fair enough. I remain distrustful of mentors who have raided or couped whilst wearing the green jacket, though.

Call me paranoid or a hard-liner or stubborn or whatever you may.
Quotes
Storefronts
None worth mentioning

Alliances
None

None

Miscellany

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:08 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:Have you guys even taken a look at the R/D summit:

Look at the dates on all the other threads. The actual summit was held in December 2012. It took an entire year for the mods to even decide what changes would be on the docket.

You'll have to forgive me if I'm not holding my breath in jittery anticipation.
Last edited by Avenio on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mexico_IIV
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 29, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Mexico_IIV » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:10 pm

Sign me up.

Invaders may say that innocents are needed to simulate RL wars so that the amusement they get from playing the I/D game isn't hurt. They may say that RPers region should accept that they can be invaded and all their hard work destroyed,"because it is a game". While at the same time in ensuring that they have a founder so no one can ruin their fun.

I get that they want to have fun, I get that they think so little of their own game that they feel if there was a permanent op-out button everyone would take it and ruin their fun (even those most players don't even do anything beside answer issues and are unaware there is a metagame that they should be protecting themselves from.) From the side of its only a game, yeah this whole discussion is stupid.

But I have to ask, if your amusement can only be gotten from causing other people pain and grief, is it ethically ok to do so anyway? No one would say it ok to smash a painting that someone had spent years and thousands of hours working on, so you can gain some brief enjoyment. After all building things take years, destroying them take seconds. So if you need these few RPer regions out of the thousands that exist because there is something more at stake (the thousands of hours spend building a RP community that wants noting to do with the I/D game.) Such simulating having civilians and morals like in a real war and such increase your own enjoyment, aren't you being a bit of a dick?

After all, as so many of you are found of saying, it is only a game. Well is playing your game worth causing real humans a whole lot of grief and pain when they didn't sign up to play your game? Instead of playing a game like you, they are seeing their work, effort and passion being destroyed before their very eyes. The place where they hang out and connect to other people, the place where they spend a large part of their life working to create something that is enjoyed by many people. They aren't playing a game, and you don't get to decide for them that their RP regions are just "a game". You don't get to decide for them that they won't feel sadness, anguish, pain or helplessness. I don't know about you, but just because I will never meet or see those who exist on the other side of the computer screens, I still care about their happiness and well being.

In real life I find it in poor taste to make someone the target of a cruel prank for a cheap laugh or to tell jokes that offend people. I know most people won't care, but there exist those who it can cause a lot of pain to and I don't want to be responsible for that. You may disagree that we should self-regulate ourselves to avoid the chance of causing people harm, but if you ever felt huge terrible pain, why would you ever risk inflicting that horror on someone else?

I know personally years ago I was in a very dark place, I had hit rock bottom, everything I thought I had going for me had collapsed or failed, I felt utterly alone, left without any hope, feeling that my mere presence on the world was too much to bear. That the best thing I could ever do for my loves ones was to end my life. I was so depressed I couldn't do anything that once brought me joy. I had a suicide note written next to my pc when I finally logged back into nationstates so I could post my goodbyes. I planned on leaving my suicide note in the one place where I felt like was home, one place where I felt I didn't had to keep watching my back, wasn't a constant failure or a useless being who dragged others down. I wanted to thank my friends, my only friends for being a port I could take shelter in from the rough seas of my life.

I logged in to find that (and these include the same people who have posted in this very thread stating it is just a game, why would you try to ruin my fun,etc) the region I was a delegate in had been invaded. The invasion caused the death of the region and led me to in my very depressed state feeling like I had finally failed every single person in my life, that no one could depend on me, that I was utterly worthless. I felt like these life long friends hated me now and wanted noting to do with me. In my worst moment the place I turned to for comfort was held by invaders who were just enjoying playing their game and being amused for a couple of days before moving on and forgetting about it. That invasion almost droved me to suicide. They would never had known, nor really cared. They would had explained it away as not their problem, they aren't responsible for every random person feelings, etc.

To you this is a game, to me at the time, it was my life. Now it merely plays a major role in my life. I am in a better place now, I got the help I need and all my friends are mostly still here, even if they drift away due to real life and other priorities for a little while or forever. But I won't ever forget the damage that invasion caused on my fragile mental state.

Nationstate is not a game to me, it is a home. I never signed up to be tossed into the I/D game and I should be given the option to op-out just like school kids are when they sign up as a class. There will always be far more regions in the I/D game simply due to ignorance, then would ever op-out. The only thing you might lose is a tiny bit of enjoyment for a little while vs those who would be freed from what can simply be a bit of harmless fun, to out right bullying or more.

And yes that is right, it is already written into the code to be able to create regions that don't have to deal with the invader/defender game.

http://www.nationstates.net/page=educators

My region is more than a game to me, it is the only reason why I am still alive. If your games hurt others and you care not, thinking only of your own enjoyment. I question are you only enjoying the suffering of others?

"It only a game?" It only politics.

MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation