NATION

PASSWORD

Discussion about R/D Game and RP Opting Out

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aurora Confederacy
Negotiator

Founded: May 14, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aurora Confederacy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:17 pm

and if they aren't, you dont get in. WAD can only let you in IF he/she has been given admin powers
All storefronts can be found here In my factbook
Factbook: new factbook under construction
RP'sLife in Barentsburg RP ooc
PLEASE telegram me after you place an order with Order at [ENTER STOREFRONT] please
To Pony, off-world and fantasy nations, note; alien beings, fantasy beings can't cross into this universe and write from their perspective, as it's based on a MODERN TECH HUMAN ONLY SETTING SORRY!! This also includes Cloned humans as M/T technology has not progressed in cloning entire humans yet. PS I don't do war RP's either.
Aurora Confederacy is proud to be a member of the Astyria Region

related nations: Aurora Confederacy State of The Khayr Var Region. - Greater Orcadia

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:40 pm

Esternial wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:The R/D game is actually part of Nationstates. It is built into the game.

If you have ever read the FAQ, it will talk about this.

Internet Explorer is installed on Windows by default.

Never used it, except to download Chrome.

That means nothing.

If you are in a region that is not password protected, then it can be raided. Whether you like it or not, the R/D game exists and will continue to exists. I doubt they will alter the code just because you don't like it.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:41 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Esternial wrote:Internet Explorer is installed on Windows by default.

Never used it, except to download Chrome.

That means nothing.

If you are in a region that is not password protected, then it can be raided. Whether you like it or not, the R/D game exists and will continue to exists.

That's not really what we're arguing about, here.
The Orson Empire wrote:I doubt they will alter the code just because you don't like it.

Yeah, since when does anybody do anything because a group of people demand it?
GO HOME, EVERYBODY! APPARENTLY, OUR OPINIONS COUNT FOR NOTHING!
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:44 pm

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:That means nothing.

If you are in a region that is not password protected, then it can be raided. Whether you like it or not, the R/D game exists and will continue to exists.

That's not really what we're arguing about, here.
The Orson Empire wrote:I doubt they will alter the code just because you don't like it.

Yeah, since when does anybody do anything because a group of people demand it?
GO HOME, EVERYBODY! APPARENTLY, OUR OPINIONS COUNT FOR NOTHING!

We are talking about the R/D game, aren't we?

And no, your opinions probably don't count. This website is not a democracy. Max Barry owns it, and he can do whatever he wants with it. If he does not want the code to be altered, then it will not be altered, period.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:46 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:We are talking about the R/D game, aren't we?

And no, your opinions probably don't count. This website is not a democracy. Max Barry owns it, and he can do whatever he wants with it. If he does not want the code to be altered, then it will not be altered, period.

You do realize this website is a business right? As in it serves to advertise his books and cash in on stamps. So his freedom to act is directly limited by how much money he wants to lose by scorning us.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Aurora Confederacy
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aurora Confederacy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:47 pm

well an idea banded around IRC, not my own, i suggested that a tick box to swear in a WAD was put in place, but for PLAYER FOUNDED REGIONS, all passwords are removed but all players outside are banned from entering so you can not simply walk in, to join a region a player must TG the founder or the WAD. The founder, (and WAD if given powers) reads the TG, he / she will by the TG have two buttons

when "invite" is clicked, two more buttons appear, asking "are you sure", [yes][no], once [yes] is sent, the person recieving the telegram gets a button
, after which it is then pressed and the person moves to the region he/she asked to be in. If that player leaves the region, you need to be re-invited in order to re enter.
Last edited by Aurora Confederacy on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLEASE telegram me after you place an order with Order at [ENTER STOREFRONT] please
To Pony, off-world and fantasy nations, note; alien beings, fantasy beings can't cross into this universe and write from their perspective, as it's based on a MODERN TECH HUMAN ONLY SETTING SORRY!! This also includes Cloned humans as M/T technology has not progressed in cloning entire humans yet. PS I don't do war RP's either.

related nations: Aurora Confederacy State of The Khayr Var Region. - Greater Orcadia

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:48 pm

Purpelia wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:We are talking about the R/D game, aren't we?

You do realize this website is a business right? As in it serves to advertise his books and cash in on stamps. So his freedom to act is directly limited by how much money he wants to lose by scorning us.

Exactly.

If you don't like the game, then don't play it. Simple.

Max Barry could charge us a fee to play this game, but he doesn't. So be grateful for what you have.
Last edited by The Orson Empire on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:49 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:Exactly.

Max Barry could charge us a fee to play this game, but he doesn't. So be grateful for what you have.

I was contradicting you, not agreeing with you. I pointed out that if he scorns us he loses money and thus he is in fact not free to scorn us unless he is willing to take said hit.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:50 pm

Purpelia wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:Exactly.

I was contradicting you, not agreeing with you. I pointed out that if he scorns us he loses money and thus he is in fact not free to scorn us unless he is willing to take said hit.

Again, it's his website. He can do what he wants. Now, whether that is a smart decision or not is a completely different matter, but in all hindsight of things, he owns this website.

Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Euroslavia » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:51 pm

Assorted Suggestions (Bear in mind, this is just day one, we're brainstorming)
[20:35] <Rephesus> Euroslavia, perhaps an opt out for RP Regions which requires things like executive delegate and a password

[20:35] <Luziyca> An idea to give RP regions protections but not screw up the R/D gameplay is by allowing all regions to implement "layered" passwords of like five or seven, which you need to get *all* of them correct to move into the region.

[20:35] <Pollona> Euroslavia: The tickbox suggestion really is a really good runner right now

[20:36] <Soldati> @Euroslavia: I am supposing having a way to format the regional factbook entry to not be raided as an immediate fix would work, however for the long term? I'd say add a feature to distinguish gameplay regions from non-gameplay regions.

[20:37] <commerceheights> a radical solution: what if WA delegates were non-executive unless the total influence of their endorsers was more than the total influence of anyone else’s endorsers?

[20:42] <Euroslavia> There's multiple things we could throw together. We could change it to where instead of needing a password to enter a region, only the Delegate can invite nations. Or perhaps we could do some sort of change to influence. No influence gathered in RP regions with actions by the Delegate not costing influence? I'm just throwing ideas out there.
[20:43] <Rephesus> Delegate invite means that even if a raider takes over, the only way to liberate would be a liberation proposal

[20:44] <Lanos> if things like griefing a region was illegal again for certain situations like RMB vandalism and trolling natives, then why isn't it taking legal shape?
[20:44] <Lanos> If it's nothing more than just to grief the natives, couldn't that be cracked down a bit more?

[20:54] <Delmonte> Well no the most straightforward fix is to make it illegal for raiders to password regions.
[20:54] <Delmonte> As it was before.

[21:12] <Ghost_2501> I am founder of a region, you want to join me but you can't move in, you TG me with a request "Hi there can i join your region please", when I click on that TG I go to YOUR nation page and see a box [BRING *enter nation here* To Region], I click on that then you get a response [ACCEPT INVITE TO *enter region name*], once you have clicked that, you move in.
[21:15] <Ghost_2501> Rephesus, if however you suspect one is a raider, you don't send the invite

Warzone Suggestion
[21:09] <Euroslavia> I'm wondering if on top of this, we can refine the Warzone regions too.
[21:09] <Euroslavia> Perhaps additional incentive to take and hold it for a certain period of time. Trophies? Some sort of new reward?
[21:10] <gruen> raiders have often said that warzones just don't interest them
[21:11] <gruen> they want to harass natives, so warzones don't fill their need
[21:11] <Ainin> Warzones interest no one.
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:53 pm

Here is a simple suggestion if I may. Have it so that if a region has a password it can't be raided and can't raid. Regions that want to be raided and raid in turn can't have a password.
Last edited by Purpelia on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aurora Confederacy
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aurora Confederacy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:54 pm

though Max Barry owns the site and the forum, its the community here that make the forum what it is, however there are elements within the community that are hell bent on causing as much havoc as possible but walking into and trashing other regions.

Some regions are for R/D others are for RP, and its the R/D community trashing the RP comminity and what can be done to protect the RP community against being trashed, therefore something needs to be done before the R/D community forces the RP side to shut down because they don't want to play the R/D games. if the RP community leave, then the site will fold and loose numbers.

and I don't think Max Barry wants numbers to go down, now lets get to the issue of protecting the RP community and those who want NO PART of raiding/defending please :D
Last edited by Aurora Confederacy on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Escalan Corps-Star Island
Senator

Founded: May 07, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:01 pm

Euroslavia wrote:Assorted Suggestions (Bear in mind, this is just day one, we're brainstorming)
[20:35] <Rephesus> Euroslavia, perhaps an opt out for RP Regions which requires things like executive delegate and a password

[20:35] <Luziyca> An idea to give RP regions protections but not screw up the R/D gameplay is by allowing all regions to implement "layered" passwords of like five or seven, which you need to get *all* of them correct to move into the region.

[20:35] <Pollona> Euroslavia: The tickbox suggestion really is a really good runner right now

[20:36] <Soldati> @Euroslavia: I am supposing having a way to format the regional factbook entry to not be raided as an immediate fix would work, however for the long term? I'd say add a feature to distinguish gameplay regions from non-gameplay regions.

[20:37] <commerceheights> a radical solution: what if WA delegates were non-executive unless the total influence of their endorsers was more than the total influence of anyone else’s endorsers?

[20:42] <Euroslavia> There's multiple things we could throw together. We could change it to where instead of needing a password to enter a region, only the Delegate can invite nations. Or perhaps we could do some sort of change to influence. No influence gathered in RP regions with actions by the Delegate not costing influence? I'm just throwing ideas out there.
[20:43] <Rephesus> Delegate invite means that even if a raider takes over, the only way to liberate would be a liberation proposal

[20:44] <Lanos> if things like griefing a region was illegal again for certain situations like RMB vandalism and trolling natives, then why isn't it taking legal shape?
[20:44] <Lanos> If it's nothing more than just to grief the natives, couldn't that be cracked down a bit more?

[20:54] <Delmonte> Well no the most straightforward fix is to make it illegal for raiders to password regions.

[21:12] <Ghost_2501> I am founder of a region, you want to join me but you can't move in, you TG me with a request "Hi there can i join your region please", when I click on that TG I go to YOUR nation page and see a box [BRING *enter nation here* To Region], I click on that then you get a response [ACCEPT INVITE TO *enter region name*], once you have clicked that, you move in.
[21:15] <Ghost_2501> Rephesus, if however you suspect one is a raider, you don't send the invite

Warzone Suggestion
[21:09] <Euroslavia> I'm wondering if on top of this, we can refine the Warzone regions too.
[21:09] <Euroslavia> Perhaps additional incentive to take and hold it for a certain period of time. Trophies? Some sort of new reward?

Thanks for your help and patience, Euro. I really appreciate it, as do many others.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:01 pm

Euroslavia wrote:Assorted Suggestions (Bear in mind, this is just day one, we're brainstorming)

Warzone Suggestion

This is a promising start. Hopefully a few reasonable Raiders are willing to chime in with suggestions of their own. I'd personally prefer something we can all more or less agree on.

Admittedly, Raiders will have to make the biggest effort to stop looking out for only their interests and instead those of the NS community in general. We shouldn't take that for granted.

Thanks for taking the lead on this, Euro. What IRC channel is this discussion on?

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:03 pm

Esternial wrote:Thanks for taking the lead on this, Euro. What IRC channel is this discussion on?

#NSMentors on Espernet. A link to the channel with the Mibbit client is in my sig.
Last edited by Virana on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Bob Moran
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bob Moran » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:05 pm

Warzone Suggestion

Eh, so I'mraiding reading this and this immediately comes to mind. What prevents any founderless region to announce itself as a roleplaying region, tick a box, and become virtually unraidable? Why would Roleplayer benefit from special favors compared to regular regions who exist for other purposes. Are Roleplayers somehow superior to any other region and deserve a special treatement? Do you really think other regions want to be any more raided than roleplayers want to?
See, no one wants to get raided, so if people in their founderless regions are simply allowed to check out, you just remove raiding from the game entirely.
The current system works perfectly. You create a roleplay region, abide by the site rule, keep the founder alive, and you won't ever be raided. Simple. You can even remove any executive power from the delegate. Additionnally, it's not that hard if your founder dies to get your active population to another region. The best example that comes to mind is The Vertusian Federation.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:07 pm

Bob Moran wrote:

Warzone Suggestion

Eh, so I'mraiding reading this and this immediately comes to mind. What prevents any founderless region to announce itself as a roleplaying region, tick a box, and become virtually unraidable? Why would Roleplayer benefit from special favors compared to regular regions who exist for other purposes. Are Roleplayers somehow superior to any other region and deserve a special treatement? Do you really think other regions want to be any more raided than roleplayers want to?
See, no one wants to get raided, so if people in their founderless regions are simply allowed to check out, you just remove raiding from the game entirely.
The current system works perfectly. You create a roleplay region, abide by the site rule, keep the founder alive, and you won't ever be raided. Simple. You can even remove any executive power from the delegate. Additionnally, it's not that hard if your founder dies to get your active population to another region. The best example that comes to mind is The Vertusian Federation.

I see.

Then a separate system that safeguard aspect of the game RP'ers deem essential would be better? In simple term: make a copy of a region, but give it a different name and make it an un-raidable entity standing next to a region.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:10 pm

--snip--

The problem is, most of those suggestions are things that [violet] herself, or moderators on her behalf, have ruled out before. Take a look at [violet]'s posts during the "founder succession" idea discussion.
[violet] wrote:If you want to argue that there should be a better method of allowing players to opt-out of the NS invasion game, allowing R/D and RP to peacefully co-exist, then you will find much support, but you need to be aware that allowing regions to make themselves invulnerable is not a balanced solution.

The obsession with this mythic idea of "balance" means that what most of those suggestions involve - indeed, what virtually all of the clamour in this entire thread is about - namely, an "opt-out", don't appear to be anything [violet] is willing to consider.

Bob Moran
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bob Moran » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:20 pm

Esternial, I don't know what you mean by copy, essential aspects, and separate system.

South Pacific Belschaft
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby South Pacific Belschaft » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:32 pm

Oh, for the love of God, just refound your bloody regions already and make use of the mechanism that already exists for this purpose. You're not special, you don't get to opt out of game mechanics, stop moaning and demanding the mods hold your hands and do something you're too lazy to do for yourselves.
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF BELSCHAFT
GUARDIAN OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC

With the cooperation of Federation Forces, all of your bases now belong to us.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:33 pm

South Pacific Belschaft wrote:Oh, for the love of God, just refound your bloody regions already and make use of the mechanism that already exists for this purpose. You're not special, you don't get to opt out of game mechanics, stop moaning and demanding the mods hold your hands and do something you're too lazy to do for yourselves.

Exactly.

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:34 pm

South Pacific Belschaft wrote:Oh, for the love of God, just refound your bloody regions already and make use of the mechanism that already exists for this purpose. You're not special, you don't get to opt out of game mechanics, stop moaning and demanding the mods hold your hands and do something you're too lazy to do for yourselves.

Then you'd be forcing them into a game they don't want to play.
Just a heads up, I suffer from [insert stereotypical internet illness here], and will use it as an excuse instead of taking responsibility for my actions.
~Transgendered, bisexual, transsexual, metrosexual, homosexual, Japanophile, heterosexual, transvestite asexual and proud~
Pimps Inc wrote:Swastikas are not allowed in nationstates unless your are RPing as Nazi Germany or sumthing

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:38 pm

Bob Moran wrote:Esternial, I don't know what you mean by copy, essential aspects, and separate system.

Heh, fair enough. It does require some more details. Sorry for the confusion.

I'll work something out tomorrow.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:39 pm

Premislyd wrote:

Then you'd be forcing them into a game they don't want to play.

Password-protect your regions. Simple.
Last edited by The Orson Empire on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Registug
Senator

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Registug » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:40 pm

And I will take all 3000 pages of RMB posts with me
Call me Garshne

Astrayan

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation