NATION

PASSWORD

Discussion about R/D Game and RP Opting Out

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Unibot III wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:we are being forced against our will to do things we didn't come to NationStates for.

That's what defenders have been saying for years, though. That's why a lot of us (including me) defend. What I'm trying to get across in this thread is that the cause badly needs help and it's the easiest way for players here to have a real impact against invaders, in the event that the changes we all are seeking aren't implemented.

A lot of roleplayers are dismissive of defenders as just the "other side of the coin", when in fact, many of us share your opinion on invasions and are just doing our part to provide relief to invaded regions. Ultimately, if the game admins aren't willing to change the code, someone has to stand up and help these communities and if you feel like you've got some spare time, I can tell you right now that your help would be appreciated and invaluable.

The problem is the raiders use off-site forums as to make it nearly impossible to defend against the larger ones.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:41 pm

I'm going to go back to what I told the mods - if the perceived outcome of opt-out is that "everyone quits", then it wasn't a game ever worth playing anyways.

I know several people (including myself) have already said this several times already in many different ways, but I'll say it again. You can't judge a game you haven't even played.

Now, somebody tell me I'm "missing the point" and what fallacy I'm using :roll:
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:42 pm

Nephmir wrote:
I'm going to go back to what I told the mods - if the perceived outcome of opt-out is that "everyone quits", then it wasn't a game ever worth playing anyways.

I know several people (including myself) have already said this several times already in many different ways, but I'll say it again. You can't judge a game you haven't even played.

But I have played. Multiple times. I still hold the same opinion.

If a game can't be sustained without forcing people to play it in order to gain access to the things they actually want to do, then it shouldn't exist.

(Edit: I guess I should note that that last sentence should be attributed to Korladis/The Batorys, not me)
Last edited by Virana on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

New Babylonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Babylonia » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:44 pm

Virana wrote:
Nephmir wrote:I know several people (including myself) have already said this several times already in many different ways, but I'll say it again. You can't judge a game you haven't even played.

If a game can't be sustained without forcing people to play it in order to gain access to the things they actually want to do, then it shouldn't exist.

This. Is. True. Seriously. Anything that needs to be sustained by forcing people against their will to sustain it, should not be sustained at all.
The power of self is unlimited and ultimate, an unending wave of pure energy and being that could never be stopped, apart from time and forever ingrained into the fabrics of all being, this is the truth of Korrelian Existentialism.

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧
Pronouns? Just use whatever, it's all the same to me :P
You will always have your friends, with your friends, you will never be alone. There will always be a light. Friendship is Magic, its the magic that brings the most glimmering lights of hope to the darkest of worlds. And as long as you have it, you will never have to be afraid of the dark. - Me, New Babylonia ^^

Nephmir
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:45 pm

Virana wrote:
Nephmir wrote:I know several people (including myself) have already said this several times already in many different ways, but I'll say it again. You can't judge a game you haven't even played.

So if something can't be kept alive without forcing it to eat food, then is that something's life meaningless? If a helicopter can't fly without fuel, then should the helicopter not exist?
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:45 pm

Nephmir wrote:

You're just not actually submitting a relevant response.
I'm not "judging the game" - if anything, the people using the "Everyone will opt-out if offered the chance" argument are. I'm just pointing out the logical conclusion of that argument.
If everybody will leave if offered the chance - as the MODS (I think it was Frisbeeteria?) SAY THEY WILL - then logically, nobody ever wanted to play in the first place. Thus, it is no loss.
Nephmir wrote:
Virana wrote:But I have played. Multiple times. I still hold the same opinion.

So if something can't be kept alive without forcing it to eat food, then is that something's life meaningless? If a helicopter can't fly without fuel, then should the helicopter not exist?

I think it's obvious to everyone reading how non-equivalent those examples are.
It's more like "if a helicopter was so poorly designed that nobody would ever actually want to fly in it if offered the chance to, then should it still exist?"
The answer being no.
Last edited by The Tiger Kingdom on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

New Babylonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Babylonia » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Nephmir wrote:

R/D is not a living thing, do not compare to such. If a helicopter does not have fuel, and you cannot afford any, it should be in your possession in the first place, because its no use to you, and should be sold.

But, as a game, and a function which requires people, not another inanimate object, if you have to force these livings things to sustain your game, then your game should not exist. Because people should not be forced to play a game.
The power of self is unlimited and ultimate, an unending wave of pure energy and being that could never be stopped, apart from time and forever ingrained into the fabrics of all being, this is the truth of Korrelian Existentialism.

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧
You will always have your friends, with your friends, you will never be alone. There will always be a light. Friendship is Magic, its the magic that brings the most glimmering lights of hope to the darkest of worlds. And as long as you have it, you will never have to be afraid of the dark. - Me, New Babylonia ^^

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:55 pm

Nephmir wrote:

I've played the raider game with one of my puppets, but I got no success in refounding a region and found it as fruitless.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Nephmir
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:56 pm

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:

You're just not actually submitting a relevant response.
I'm not "judging the game" - if anything, the people using the "Everyone will opt-out if offered the chance" argument are. I'm just pointing out the logical conclusion of that argument.
If everybody will leave if offered the chance - as the MODS (I think it was Frisbeeteria?) SAY THEY WILL - then logically, nobody ever wanted to play in the first place. Thus, it is no loss.
Nephmir wrote:So if something can't be kept alive without forcing it to eat food, then is that something's life meaningless? If a helicopter can't fly without fuel, then should the helicopter not exist?

It's more like "if a helicopter was so poorly designed that nobody would ever actually want to fly in it if offered the chance to, then should it still exist?"
The answer being no.

But nobody said "poorly designed". They said "Anything that needs to be sustained by forcing people against their will to sustain it, should not be sustained at all." Don't go back on your words, now.

The analogy made about the bullies and the teacher awhile back? Yeah, that qualifies as "comparing R/D to a living thing". :palm:
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:56 pm

Virana wrote:forcing people to play

ial

Who gets forced to play? Last time I checked, people willingly join the R/D community through recruitment TGs.
Just a heads up, I suffer from [insert stereotypical internet illness here], and will use it as an excuse instead of taking responsibility for my actions.
~Transgendered, bisexual, transsexual, metrosexual, homosexual, Japanophile, heterosexual, transvestite asexual and proud~
Pimps Inc wrote:Swastikas are not allowed in nationstates unless your are RPing as Nazi Germany or sumthing

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:57 pm

Nephmir wrote:

Have you genuinely ever used the Yahoo Toolbar?

Nierr
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:57 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:

I've played the raider game with one of my puppets, but I got no success in refounding a region and found it as fruitless.

That's because it takes a long ass time. That's by design. That's also why you won't hear of any (or many) RP regions being completely destroyed and refounded by raiders. Nor will raiders, usually, try that.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:00 pm

Nierr wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I've played the raider game with one of my puppets, but I got no success in refounding a region and found it as fruitless.

That's because it takes a long ass time. That's by design. That's also why you won't hear of any (or many) RP regions being completely destroyed and refounded by raiders. Nor will raiders, usually, try that.

I sat on for the better half of twelve hours.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Virana
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:00 pm

Nephmir wrote:

Quite literally one of the most strawman arguments I've seen.

No, as somebody else already said, it's more like this: a helicopter is crappy and dangerous to fly, and it can't be fixed. Nobody wants to fly it. Should you continue to keep and maintain and operate the helicopter? Yeah, no. Anybody with a brain would scrap it.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Stevid
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Stevid » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:01 pm

Nephmir wrote:

I've played R/D many, many moons ago. I found it incredibly boring.

Do Irun around the game or the forums raving about it? No.
Do I try an enforce an RP element into your day-to-day gaming? No

Do you know any RPing nations that do?

I don't judge, we play what we want to play - like you do. Find some regions and nation therein that will play with you. You keep doing this to RP regions, particularly those with a huge reputation, your are going to get scenes like what we're witnessing today over and over again.

What a stressful clusterfuck. It's easier not to pester us because we'll complain. You'll have your say, we have ours. The cycle continues like it is at the moment and then we're back to square one again. It's nothing personal, it really isn't. But R/D players shouldn't be attacking dedicated RP regions. If that is too difficult then the password should be a clear as day 'hands off'. Clearly we're mistaken.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:01 pm

Nephmir wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:You're just not actually submitting a relevant response.

The answer being no.

But nobody said "poorly designed".

I did.
Nephmir wrote:They said "Anything that needs to be sustained by forcing people against their will to sustain it,

Presumably because of its poor design...
Nephmir wrote: should not be sustained at all."

In this case, it absolutely shouldn't be. There's no reason to have it imposed on people. This isn't a draft, nor is it invested with the necessity of keeping yourself fed or your vehicle fueled. There is no comprehensible imperative that merits forcing people to play the game.
Nephmir wrote:Don't go back on your words, now.

I never said that. They're not my words.
There's a little panel on the side that lets you know who wrote each post, by the way. May help you not get confused.
Nephmir wrote:The analogy made about the bullies and the teacher awhile back? Yeah, that qualifies as "comparing R/D to a living thing". :palm:

I have no idea what you're talking about.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

Nierr
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:01 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Nierr wrote:That's because it takes a long ass time. That's by design. That's also why you won't hear of any (or many) RP regions being completely destroyed and refounded by raiders. Nor will raiders, usually, try that.

I sat on for the better half of twelve hours.

Well yes, the only thing you'll be able to refound (refind?) in twelve hours is the motivation to never be that bored again.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:06 pm

Nierr wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I sat on for the better half of twelve hours.

Well yes, the only thing you'll be able to refound (refind?) in twelve hours is the motivation to never be that bored again.

Exactly, it's a boring thing.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Nephmir
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:06 pm

No, as somebody else already said, it's more like this: a helicopter is crappy and dangerous to fly, and it can't be fixed. Nobody wants to fly it. Should you continue to keep and maintain and operate the helicopter? Yeah, no. Anybody with a brain would scrap it.

But people do want to play it; it is a huge community!

You're all going on about how you're disgusted with the mods, but quite honestly, I'm disgusted that the RP mentors, who are supposed to be supporting the site's community, wish to see the largest community in NS destroyed and "scrapped".
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:07 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Unibot III wrote:
Excuse me, Wordy, but if someone reads this thread and says "hey, maybe I should become a defender" -- that is a good thing. For too long, members of this site have been conflating "defenders" and "invaders" as one in the same with the same motivations -- hence the terrible "R/D" phrase. Part of the issue is many roleplayers here believe that gameplay has one unified opinion on invading -- when in fact a good chunk of us have dedicated our time to try to stop invasions because we think they are wrong.

I don't see your idea being implemented and I don't see many of the ideas here in this thread being implemented, so I think it's important that players here aren't mislead into believing there is nothing else they can do to help prevent invasions and free occupied regions.

"Enough said". :roll:

I know you and other defenders do a good job at actually defending our regions, so the blame is not shifted towards you Unibot, but the game style itself is what worries some of us, that we are being forced against our will to do things we didn't come to NationStates for.

The R/D game is actually part of Nationstates. It is built into the game.

If you have ever read the FAQ, it will talk about this.

Virana
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:10 pm

Nephmir wrote:

You're all going on about how you're disgusted with the mods, but quite honestly, I'm disgusted that the RP mentors, who are supposed to be supporting the site's community, wish to see the largest community in NS destroyed and "scrapped".

• I didn't say I'm disgusted with the mods. I literally said the exact opposite.
  • RP mentors are supposed to be supporting the site's RP community. Not supporting the GPer community. It's not an RP mentor's job to defend anything. It is their job to support and aid RPing.
  • I don't want to see the largest community in NS scrapped. That's RPing.
  • I also don't want to see R/D "scrapped". I've always been a vocal supporter of a solution that satisfies all sides. What I'm disappointed in is the poor justification people have given for raiding's continued existence in the first place. It's got me confused as to why it's considered legal in the first place.
Please, direct your arguments at what people have actually said. Try not to make overgeneralized assumptions.

New Babylonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Babylonia » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:11 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:
I know you and other defenders do a good job at actually defending our regions, so the blame is not shifted towards you Unibot, but the game style itself is what worries some of us, that we are being forced against our will to do things we didn't come to NationStates for.

The R/D game is actually part of Nationstates. It is built into the game.

If you have ever read the FAQ, it will talk about this.

It was not always built into the game though. Not intentionally, it was never intended. But it happened, and they went with it.
So, no, it was not intentionally built into the game. It just popped up.

Nephmir
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:11 pm

Virana wrote:
Nephmir wrote:But people do want to play it; it is a huge community!

• I didn't say I'm disgusted with the mods. I literally said the exact opposite.
  • RP mentors are supposed to be supporting the site's RP community. Not supporting the GPer community. It's not an RP mentor's job to defend anything. It is their job to support and aid RPing.
  • I don't want to see the largest community in NS scrapped. That's RPing.
  • I also don't want to see R/D "scrapped". I've always been a vocal supporter of a solution that satisfies all sides. What I'm disappointed in is the poor justification people have given for raiding's continued existence in the first place. It's got me confused as to why it's considered legal in the first place.
Please, direct your arguments at what people have actually said. Try not to make overgeneralized assumptions.

Well then maybe it's about time we has GP mentors.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_

Nierr
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:11 pm

Virana wrote:I don't want to see the largest community in NS scrapped. That's RPing.

That's probably NSG to be honest.

Virana
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:12 pm

Nephmir wrote:

Then that community should continue to live on when people who don't want to play it opt-out. That is literally the point of my post: if people think introducing an opt-out would ruin the R/D game, that means that giving people voluntary responsibility to stop playing the game would ruin it - therefore, the game thrives on coercing people who do not want to play.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation