NATION

PASSWORD

Discussion about R/D Game and RP Opting Out

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Stevid
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Stevid » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:33 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Coraxion wrote:RPers here are generally speaking trying change how game work and GPers are trying tell them how it work currently, so they can Opt out from Gameplay. Of course we are "trolls" to them, when doing so.

This whole debacle is about a gameplayer trying to change how the game works. I think I can speak for most if not all roleplayers, generalites and whatever other groups when I say the system currently works perfectly. Now a moderator has put forward a serious change which would probably drive away much of the roleplaying group and that is why there are people completely opposed, not to mention disgusted.

^

This.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:34 am

Cata Larga wrote:Let me ask you all one thing. Just one thing.

Where, explicitly, does it say, officially, that NationStates is a game of raiding and defending first and foremost?

Stuff like this, unfortunately, suggests that is indeed exactly how the admin sees it:
[violet] wrote:
Ballotonia wrote:So... what if defenders were to decide that, say, starting tomorrow, they're really not gonna bother anymore and sit back and relax. Would you then decide to give them more advantages in the game to make up for that? Would be consistent, given your approach towards invaders...

Well, yes. If defenders all vanished tomorrow, and invaders roamed the world as they please, I would think we should balance that. I wouldn't run out and start coding, because, as you know, we tend to go years between major gameplay changes. But over the long run, I am focused on the practice of the invasion game; i.e. how often it actually happens and how often it's defeated. I'm not an invader or defender; I'll never understand exactly how easy or difficult certain things are as well as you guys do. I only observe how frequently things are happening. And my mandate is to ensure there is a reasonably active invasion game.

And the problem comes from a fundamentally skewed view of the game (the folly of which this thread demonstrates):
[violet] wrote:
Errinundera wrote:There is a fundamental split in NationStates that is, in my view, unresolvable.
  1. Raiders / Defenders want to interact with non-raiders / non-defenders. The OP makes that point clearly. The reward for raiding is doing it to players that don't want it. The reward for defenders is to protect the victims.
  2. Non-raiders / non-defenders do not want to interact with Raiders / Defenders. Period. They want to be left alone.
You cannot reconcile the two.
That's undoubtedly true, but there's a third group between the two, holding the majority of our players. Those people either have no opinion about the invasion game, are mildly in favor or against it, or don't think they like it until they find themselves in it, then quite enjoy it.

I have no interest in forcing people in Group 2 to play the invasion game. My ideal situation is one in which Group 1 has a fun invasion game, Group 2 is immune to it, and everybody else is somewhere in the middle.

Working from first principles like this, which have been raised many times long before even these posts, there is just a basic refusal to acknowledge the incompatibility of a style of play that rests on having the rest of the game be unwilling victims with the desire of those majority of players just to be left alone.

Nierr
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:34 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Coraxion wrote:RPers here are generally speaking trying change how game work and GPers are trying tell them how it work currently, so they can Opt out from Gameplay. Of course we are "trolls" to them, when doing so.

This whole debacle is about a gameplayer trying to change how the game works. I think I can speak for most if not all roleplayers, generalites and whatever other groups when I say the system currently works perfectly. Now a moderator has put forward a serious change which would probably drive away much of the roleplaying group and that is why there are people completely opposed, not to mention disgusted.

What part of someone using a game mechanic the way it can be used is changing how the game works?

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:34 am

Nephmir wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:This begs the question: do all raiders want this proposal to pass or is it only one particular group of raiders? I still find the proposal in bad taste and I know it will cause even more division in an already divided forum but other than Coraxion, what's the take of the raiders?

Against. I don't agree with raiding innocent regions for fun.

Can I ask why you as a raider has created a region that's essentially protected from other raiders because you are the founder?
Yes.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:35 am

Nierr wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:This whole debacle is about a gameplayer trying to change how the game works. I think I can speak for most if not all roleplayers, generalites and whatever other groups when I say the system currently works perfectly. Now a moderator has put forward a serious change which would probably drive away much of the roleplaying group and that is why there are people completely opposed, not to mention disgusted.

What part of someone using a game mechanic the way it can be used is changing how the game works?

Because we have long been told to use passwords to opt out of the raiding game and now it seems we no longer have that protection.
Yes.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:35 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:

At the very least, I believe an apology is in order.

Demanding a resignation is a bit prematurely and somewhat overkill, but it'll be up to you to regain the trust you've lost, Mall.
Last edited by Esternial on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:36 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Nierr wrote:What part of someone using a game mechanic the way it can be used is changing how the game works?

Because we have long been told to use passwords to opt out of the raiding game and now it seems we no longer have that protection.

Perhaps he likes raiding but not getting raided.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Coraxion
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Coraxion » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:36 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:

How exactly? Isn't he just using same possibilities that are granted for ALL players? And If you've not yet realized, ALL Moderators are nations in This Game, They are players just like anyone else and they must follow rules themselves too.
Last edited by Coraxion on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:38 am

New Babylonia wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:This whole debacle is about a gameplayer trying to change how the game works. I think I can speak for most if not all roleplayers, generalites and whatever other groups when I say the system currently works perfectly. Now a moderator has put forward a serious change which would probably drive away much of the roleplaying group and that is why there are people completely opposed, not to mention disgusted.

Yep.

Except no. Nothing this player is doing (IMO it should be largely irrelevant that he's a mod until he starts abusing mod powers) is changing how the game works. The game is working precisely as intended. However, there will always be those who use tools and functions of a game in ways that could be construed as abuse or unsportsmanlike behaviour. If anything, that's all this player is doing. He's not changing the game in any way shape or form.

Should he have probably avoided doing it? Certainly. It's poor behaviour, and was always going to cause hilarious levels of drama. That's not game changing though.
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

New Babylonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Babylonia » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:39 am

Coraxion wrote:

How exactly? Isn't he just using same possibilities that are granted for ALL players? And If you've not yet realized, ALL Moderators are nations in This Game, They are players just like anyone else and they must follow rules themselves too.

We're all aware of this, the mods themselves have stated it repeatedly. And he told why just above. Passwords were created as a way for a region to Opt-out, and this is used by almost every RP region. Mall is now trying to strip this luxury from them. It's even been stated by and admin that the way its supposed it to work is how it does, and Mall is breaking that.

So, yeah. people are pissed.
The power of self is unlimited and ultimate, an unending wave of pure energy and being that could never be stopped, apart from time and forever ingrained into the fabrics of all being, this is the truth of Korrelian Existentialism.

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧
Pronouns? Just use whatever, it's all the same to me :P
You will always have your friends, with your friends, you will never be alone. There will always be a light. Friendship is Magic, its the magic that brings the most glimmering lights of hope to the darkest of worlds. And as long as you have it, you will never have to be afraid of the dark. - Me, New Babylonia ^^

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:39 am

Coraxion wrote:

That doesn't mean you need to have US, the unwilling, to play R/D.

I don't raid nor defend, nor do I roleplay, but this whole "raiding is more important than X because of game mechanics" is absurd.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:41 am

Coraxion wrote:

It's been stated by violet that regions can protect themselves from the raiding game by using a password. This is part of the reason why many if not all RP regions and other regions who wish to take no part in the R/D game will have a password. If this sets a precedent, it means using a password is no longer protection.
Yes.

New Babylonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Babylonia » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:41 am

Rethan wrote:
New Babylonia wrote:Yep.

Except no. Nothing this player is doing (IMO it should be largely irrelevant that he's a mod until he starts abusing mod powers) is changing how the game works. The game is working precisely as intended. However, there will always be those who use tools and functions of a game in ways that could be construed as abuse or unsportsmanlike behaviour. If anything, that's all this player is doing. He's not changing the game in any way shape or form.

Should he have probably avoided doing it? Certainly. It's poor behaviour, and was always going to cause hilarious levels of drama. That's not game changing though.

But it is changing it. RP regions exempt themselves from participating in GP, and were given the ability of passwords to protect this right. Mall is now trying to strip them of it, and make said RP regions open season for raiders.

So, actually, if you would have opened your eyes, it mot certainly is changing the game for those who don't even want to play it.
The power of self is unlimited and ultimate, an unending wave of pure energy and being that could never be stopped, apart from time and forever ingrained into the fabrics of all being, this is the truth of Korrelian Existentialism.

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧
You will always have your friends, with your friends, you will never be alone. There will always be a light. Friendship is Magic, its the magic that brings the most glimmering lights of hope to the darkest of worlds. And as long as you have it, you will never have to be afraid of the dark. - Me, New Babylonia ^^

Nierr
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:41 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Nierr wrote:What part of someone using a game mechanic the way it can be used is changing how the game works?

You do have that protection.

You know how many regions have been targeted for Liberations to open them up to raiding? Ever? 2. Only one of them ever passed and that was against Nazi Europe. The level of opposition from gameplayers against this current proposal is enough to ensure it won't pass, even ignoring the considerable outcry from the RP community.

The process of getting a liberation passed is so arduous that any non-kosher Liberation is very unlikely to ever pass.

Prekonate
Envoy

Founded: Aug 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Prekonate » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:42 am

Only one community on NS could not survive without coercing the other communities to play with it. That community is R/D. Trying to establish equivalency between R/D and the other, voluntary communities is very silly. Not surprisingly, only the raiders themselves bother doing so.
Last edited by Prekonate on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
See if the law takes from some persons what belongs to them, and gives it to other persons to whom it does not belong.

aka leistung | ***Knock if off.***

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:43 am

Nierr wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:Because we have long been told to use passwords to opt out of the raiding game and now it seems we no longer have that protection.

You know how many regions have been targeted for Liberations to open them up to raiding? Ever? 2. Only one of them ever passed and that was against Nazi Europe. The level of opposition from gameplayers against this current proposal is enough to ensure it won't pass, even ignoring the considerable outcry from the RP community.

The process of getting a liberation passed is so arduous that any non-kosher Liberation is very unlikely to ever pass.

If the proposal passes, it would change that. Founderless, password protected regions are even more at risk here.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Cata Larga
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cata Larga » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:43 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:
Cata Larga wrote:Let me ask you all one thing. Just one thing.

Where, explicitly, does it say, officially, that NationStates is a game of raiding and defending first and foremost?

Stuff like this, unfortunately, suggests that is indeed exactly how the admin sees it:
[violet] wrote:Well, yes. If defenders all vanished tomorrow, and invaders roamed the world as they please, I would think we should balance that. I wouldn't run out and start coding, because, as you know, we tend to go years between major gameplay changes. But over the long run, I am focused on the practice of the invasion game; i.e. how often it actually happens and how often it's defeated. I'm not an invader or defender; I'll never understand exactly how easy or difficult certain things are as well as you guys do. I only observe how frequently things are happening. And my mandate is to ensure there is a reasonably active invasion game.

And the problem comes from a fundamentally skewed view of the game (the folly of which this thread demonstrates):
[violet] wrote:That's undoubtedly true, but there's a third group between the two, holding the majority of our players. Those people either have no opinion about the invasion game, are mildly in favor or against it, or don't think they like it until they find themselves in it, then quite enjoy it.

I have no interest in forcing people in Group 2 to play the invasion game. My ideal situation is one in which Group 1 has a fun invasion game, Group 2 is immune to it, and everybody else is somewhere in the middle.

Working from first principles like this, which have been raised many times long before even these posts, there is just a basic refusal to acknowledge the incompatibility of a style of play that rests on having the rest of the game be unwilling victims with the desire of those majority of players just to be left alone.

That is unfortunate. But I would like to say that when I first signed up for this game, I saw nothing to suggest that it was focused on this sort of raider-defender play.
The Confederated Free Cities and Departments of the Catalarguense Commonwealth
“Invikta" - "Unconquered"
Capital: Puerte-de-Liberete | Largest City: Kapa-Trinieta | Population: 97,370,679
Quotes
Seljuq Kyiv wrote:>jesus: the secret muslim
Constaniana wrote:No, you see, when a football player is good enough, they start getting funny, but natural, urges. Urges that tell them to mark their dominance over other players by sinking their teeth into their flesh.
Storefronts
None worth mentioning

Alliances
None

Current Foreign Involvements
None

Miscellany
The Litorean Catholic Church recognizes the authority of the Roman Curia

Nierr
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:43 am

New Babylonia wrote:
Rethan wrote:Except no. Nothing this player is doing (IMO it should be largely irrelevant that he's a mod until he starts abusing mod powers) is changing how the game works. The game is working precisely as intended. However, there will always be those who use tools and functions of a game in ways that could be construed as abuse or unsportsmanlike behaviour. If anything, that's all this player is doing. He's not changing the game in any way shape or form.

But it is changing it. RP regions exempt themselves from participating in GP, and were given the ability of passwords to protect this right. Mall is now trying to strip them of it, and make said RP regions open season for raiders.

So, actually, if you would have opened your eyes, it mot certainly is changing the game for those who don't even want to play it.

Good lord. The Liberation function has been around for years now. If you didn't know about it, then that's your fault. It's been a part of the way the game is played since 2010 at least.

It's not changing the game. It's Mall using the function as it's been used in the past. Those arguing that it's changing the game or that passing Liberate Haven (which won't pass, I've already guaranteed that) aren't helping their own arguments.

Nierr
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:44 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Nierr wrote:You do have that protection.

If the proposal passes, it would change that. Founderless, password protected regions are even more at risk here.

Already happened.

Coraxion
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Coraxion » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:45 am

So called raiding is democratic method select new delegate. A Most endorsed WA-nation in a region will be elected to Delegacy. Then supporters and New Delegate decide what to do with new Delegate position and with powers that position gives over the region.

Opt out is of course possible. Non-Executive Delegate.

The Essense of Political simulation of NationStates.

New Babylonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Babylonia » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:46 am

Nierr wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:Because we have long been told to use passwords to opt out of the raiding game and now it seems we no longer have that protection.

But then it brings to question, knowing it would not pass, and knowing the shitstorm it would cause, why would anyone in their right, especially a mod, even try to bring this up again?

Nierr wrote:
New Babylonia wrote:<br abp="800">But it is changing it. RP regions exempt themselves from participating in GP, and were given the ability of passwords to protect this right. Mall is now trying to strip them of it, and make said RP regions open season for raiders.<br abp="801"><br abp="802">So, actually, if you would have opened your eyes, it mot certainly is changing the game for those who don't even want to play it.
<br abp="803">Good lord. The Liberation function has been around for years now. If you didn't know about it, then that's your fault. It's been a part of the way the game is played since 2010 at least.<br abp="804"><br abp="805">It's not changing the game. It's Mall using the function as it's been used in the past. Those arguing that it's changing the game or that passing Liberate Haven (which won't pass, I've already guaranteed that) aren't helping their own arguments.

:palm:
I'm aware. You aren't understanding. He's trying to use it to strip away the immunity unwilling regions were granted to not participate in GP. That is NOT what the liberate resolution was for, and if you think so, then you need to a good look at some of the people who've quoted [violet] here. It was intended to be used by R/D, against R/D, not against RP regions who want nothing to do with any of it.

New Babylonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Babylonia » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:46 am

Coraxion wrote:So called raiding is democratic method select new delegate. A Most endorsed WA-nation in a region will be elected to Delegacy. Then supporters and New Delegate decide what to do with new Delegate position and with powers that position gives over the region.

Opt out is of course possible. Non-Executive Delegate.

The Essense of Political simulation of NationStates.

:palm:
When they don't have a founder, non-exec delegate is not an option.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:46 am

Rethan wrote:
New Babylonia wrote:Yep.

Indeed. If it were a regular player then it probably would have been downvoted without further drama, but Mall is a moderator, and that comes with a certain degree of responsibility and standing.

You can't just go do what you do as a regular player anymore when you're a Mod. Well, you can, but there are consequences to your actions.

When you accept the title of Mod you accept being subjected to more scrutiny. Some of the things said are perhaps very much over the top, but the thread and initial concern in itself is perfectly justified when it's a Mod doing it, because Mods are supposed to be an example.

And if your example engages in unsportsmanlike behaviour, it condones further similar behaviour. That's why I feel Mall should take some responsibility for his actions and clear the air.
Last edited by Esternial on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:48 am

Nierr wrote:

I know it won't pass, that's a certainty, not that it somehow makes the proposal better.

It's not changing the game. It's Mall using the function as it's been used in the past. Those arguing that it's changing the game or that passing Liberate Haven (which won't pass, I've already guaranteed that) aren't helping their own arguments.

Nazi Europe wasn't a roleplaying region. The previous attempt at Haven didn't pass. So yeah, you could argue that what Mallorea and Riva is doing is pretty uncharted territory for the Liberation tool and if it did pass, it would certainly change the game. All you've said so far is "it won't change the game" which has been contradictory to your claims of it only ever being passed once before and that being a non-roleplaying region.
Yes.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:48 am

Nierr wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Already happened.

I don't think that resolution protects the founderless regions that are password protected. If it did, I doubt this proposal Mallorea made would've caused the reaction it has. It seems Mall's proposal would strip away the protection and leave these regions open to raiders. Regions that, since they're password protected, have opt out of the R/D dynamic.
Slava Ukraini

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation