NATION

PASSWORD

Is this actionable?

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Is this actionable?

Postby God Kefka » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:48 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
God Kefka wrote:
I know what it means. You've given me no evidence that discrimination against the LGBT in the present age is comparable to the massive institutionalized discrimination against blacks in the 1960s. On the other hand I've mentioned that there's the absence of a counterpart to segregation and ''Jim Crow laws'' for the gays...

What does this have to do with grasping at straws...?
God Kefka wrote:There isn't institutionalized discrimination on the same scale...

Yes there is.
God Kefka wrote:
I mean on a large scale... like over an entire region of the US... half the country.

...Why?
God Kefka wrote:At best there are pockets of discrimination against gays here and there

This is pure bullshit. You haven't supported this at all. Meanwhile, I've given you actual sources.

God Kefka wrote:Compared to the insult of segregated bathrooms, segregated schools, segregated buses etc... this is nothing.

No, no it fucking isn't. Being bullied mentally and physically because you're gay is not "nothing." Being discriminated against in financial aid is not "nothing." Being denied the right to be married in the majority of states is not "nothing."Not having a federal law that bans workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation is not "nothing." Again, how fucking childish can you be to seriously claim that this is "nothing" because you believe some forms of discrimination to not be important?

Just wondering you see...
Last edited by God Kefka on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Euroslavia » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:38 am

Heated, but not seeing that as pushing a limit. Leaving open for a second opinion though.
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Transnapastain » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:26 am

I saw this earlier and saw this thread, I did not feel it was actionable, but chose to leave it for another mod, due to browsing from my mobile device at the time.

so, second opinion confirming Euro's.

God Kefka
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:05 am

I see... third opinion then?
Art thread

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:11 am

Close to the line, but not quite crossing it - we see much the same, and have for years, especially in heated debates. Unfortunately, we have a number of players who have been working on turning this into an art form. Fortunately, we tend to recognize them and keep an eye out. Several are already on rather thin ice, and it might behoove them to tone it down a bit before lines are crossed and actions taken.

God Kefka
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Just unbelievable... it's the same poster.

Mavorpen wrote:
God Kefka wrote:No you just want to force your views on everyone else with your ''Accept the Gays or Pay a Fine'' strategy.

Absolutely. I absolutely do. Just as I want to force my views on everyone else with my "Don't murder or go to jail for an extended period of time."

Now, do you have empirical evidence that your approach works better than mine, or are you going to continue talking out of your ass?

Why can't he debate without using such a vulgar/offensive tone? I've never even heard of an expression that disgusting in a long time...
Last edited by God Kefka on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art thread

God Kefka
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:20 pm

Latest news...

Same thread, same poster.

Mavorpen wrote:
Madenia wrote:
He didn't refuse because the couple was gay, he refused because they wanted to take a picture of a ceremony he didn't believe in.

Stop lying.
Mavorpen wrote:Elane Photograph tried to argue that they didn't discriminate based on sexual orientation, but instead on the grounds of the action of having a same sex marriage. This was shut down by the court:

You haven't addressed this.

To further drive home this point, they cited a SCOTUS case where a similar argument was used.

You haven't even remotely begun to address this outside of, "WAAH! TEH SUPREME COURT ISN'T ALWAYS RIGHT!!!!oneone111!!" You haven't even made an attempt to because you clearly haven't read the court's opinion, nor do you give a flying fuck about being intellectually honest enough to realize that your arguments have not only been dismantled by NSGers (despite your pathetic attempt to claim otherwise) as well as the NMSC itself.

So tell us, are you actually going to address these arguments? Are you actually going to debate? Or are you going to continue essentially copy and pasting the same exact claims over and over while also pretending as though no one's actually debating you?

I seem to recall at least one precedent where calling another player a ''liar'' was not very good debate etiquette...
Last edited by God Kefka on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art thread

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:26 pm

God Kefka wrote:Just unbelievable... it's the same poster.

Mavorpen wrote:Absolutely. I absolutely do. Just as I want to force my views on everyone else with my "Don't murder or go to jail for an extended period of time."

Now, do you have empirical evidence that your approach works better than mine, or are you going to continue talking out of your ass?

Why can't he debate without using such a vulgar/offensive tone? I've never even heard of an expression that disgusting in a long time...

Submitted merely for context, this expression that has apparently so outraged this poster, something so "disgusting" that he hasn't encountered "in a long time" is, remarkably, exactly identical to the statement of another poster which he replied to less than a month ago. A statement which, despite his protests here as being so "vulgar and offensive" that he just had to rush to report it to moderation, didn't inspire a similar fit of vapors 4 weeks ago.

So, since this is moderation and all, I'd like it considered whether this is a legitimate case of outrage and disgust, or whether this is yet another case of a blatantly obvious troll puppet trying to use mods as weapons to fulfill some vendetta, by rushing off in trollish theatrics, screaming bloody murder over a common expression that didn't seem to raise his hackles last month.

Just how many summertime troll puppets do we have to put up with before someone says enough is enough?
Last edited by Neo Art on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:41 pm

Neo, as I'm sure you're aware, we are flush full of players who see an action taken, and then take it upon themselves to hunt out any potentially-modworthy things they may see. This doesn't not always equal 'summer troll' or 'blatant attempt at mods as weapons'.

Kefka - perhaps it might be a good idea to report things you yourself are involved in directly for now, and let others report as they see fit for things they are involved in? If you keep on with the targeted reports, it could be construed as harassment.

In the meantime, will give Mavorpen yet another reminder to cut out the blatant nasty, because other reminders appear not to have sunk in.

God Kefka
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Neo, as I'm sure you're aware, we are flush full of players who see an action taken, and then take it upon themselves to hunt out any potentially-modworthy things they may see. This doesn't not always equal 'summer troll' or 'blatant attempt at mods as weapons'.

Kefka - perhaps it might be a good idea to report things you yourself are involved in directly for now, and let others report as they see fit for things they are involved in? If you keep on with the targeted reports, it could be construed as harassment.

In the meantime, will give Mavorpen yet another reminder to cut out the blatant nasty, because other reminders appear not to have sunk in.

Very well... thank you
Art thread

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Neo, as I'm sure you're aware, we are flush full of players who see an action taken, and then take it upon themselves to hunt out any potentially-modworthy things they may see.

There is, I think, a substantial difference between floating other examples of things that have been deemed actionable, and declaring something "the most disgusting thing I've seen in a while" when said poster didn't feel the need to report the exact same thing a mere 4 weeks earlier.

I am saying it's profoundly disingenuous, and strains the imagination beyond all reason, to presume this particular poster is being in the least bit honest, or is in the least bit interested in being a productive member of this forum. These theatrics alone regarding a statement that merited not a peep a few weeks ago should, by itself alone, be more than evidence of that.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:55 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:In the meantime, will give Mavorpen yet another reminder to cut out the blatant nasty, because other reminders appear not to have sunk in.

The only reminder that your post really presents, is that moderation is inconsistent as hell. Apparently telling someone they're lying and that they're making shit up is perfectly fine sometimes and falls under attacking the argument, but other times is "blatant nasty."
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:01 pm

I don't recall giving you any warnings there, Mavorpen. But your tone is, and continues to be, rather unhelpful in carrying on a remotely civil conversation. And I'm pretty sure you've been told that more than once.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:07 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:I don't recall giving you any warnings there, Mavorpen. But your tone is, and continues to be, rather unhelpful in carrying on a remotely civil conversation. And I'm pretty sure you've been told that more than once.

So what you're saying is, saying the exact same thing in some cases is perfectly fine but "unhelpful," however, in other cases it's "blatant nasty" purely because another poster feels the need to complain about it?

I mean, it's not as though posters telling others they've lied hasn't happened in the thread. Not a single moderator telling others to turn down the heat. What's the difference between then and now? Well, clearly someone this time felt it bad enough to report it, which clearly means a flame war is imminent, right?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

HappyShark
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby HappyShark » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Mavorpen just because I am cool headed and understand and make accommodations to adapt to your fighting and debating style does not mean others would not get offended by it. Hell i have come close to lashing back a few times myself, with the way you approach me in a debate, but I take a step back and cool down a bit. The subject matter we are discussing is highly emotional and it is also very volatile, which is why I give those who are lashing out at me the necessary leeway they need to get their frustrations out. I am stubborn and unreasonable at times this does not mean i do not respect you as a person. Even if at times your approach was like nails on a chalk board as i am sure my approach has been to you at times I keep in mind that you are still a person with emotions. The bottom line for me is we simply disagree on a subject we may never agree on, life is full of these so i make my point and defend it the best way I can against an onslaught of highly offensive posts. But as i said before there is also a preliminary understanding on my part of the volatility and emotions associated to this subject. Some will jump in without realizing this first and may be surprised at the hostility they encounter however for me it is an expectation when taking or making a stand on an unpopular position which I genuinely and morally hold.

I hope you understand the above and do not take offense to me chiming in, but I honestly think you are a good person fighting for what you strongly believe is right and as such may get a bit more hostile than usual on subjects like this. take a step back and breathe to recenter yourself when emotions seriously kick in.

Hope you have a better day
Happy Shark.
Last edited by HappyShark on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Happy Shark Is a Well Fed Shark :)

The Vermin Confederation of Mossflower wrote:*Awards HappyShark a medal for winning the thread*

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation