NATION

PASSWORD

Quotespam [Mods Only]

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Quotespam [Mods Only]

Postby Bezombia » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:35 am

*At the request of a mod, I've made a separate thread about this.

So I recently reported to posts as spam:

viewtopic.php?p=16406777#p16406777
viewtopic.php?p=16386279#p16386279

Fris had recently ruled that a quote with no additional thought is spam, and many similar rulings have been made (notable to me, I received a warning for just that in my old nation "Benomia"). However, when I reported the above to posts in the spam thread, two moderators (Trans and Fran) said that it was not, in fact, spam.
To offer some other rulings, it appears as if a very similar quote that I reported here was deleted as well, although who deleted it is a mystery to me. There are many more examples from both sides but this is what I could find through light digging.

So I guess the problem here is that some moderators think that it's spam, yet others have said that it's simply expressing your opinion.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:38 am

My opinion is that it's not spam in and of itself. We allow "Quoted For Truth" posts, after all. Quoting someone without the accompanying rubric doesn't seem actionable to me, though it can be annoying. Anything overdone can become spam. If we start warning for this, will we start warning for "What, this thread again?" and other such things?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:42 am

Farnhamia wrote:My opinion is that it's not spam in and of itself. We allow "Quoted For Truth" posts, after all. Quoting someone without the accompanying rubric doesn't seem actionable to me, though it can be annoying. Anything overdone can become spam. If we start warning for this, will we start warning for "What, this thread again?" and other such things?

Fris's post mirrors my own thoughts, as of now.

A quote with no additional thought shows that the poster has nothing to add. Posts such as "This thread again?" at least show some effort on the poster's part to make their feelings on the subject known, rather than just "Quote --> Submit".
Granted, posts such as your example would also technically be off topic posting/shitposting (providing the only content of the post is "not this again", etc.), and one could argue that it should be actionable, as it contributes roughly as much to the thread as not posting at all.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:39 am

I'll note that in the cited instance, both posters were quoting the same bit, so it was slightly more spammy than a single instance. I do feel that such posts are little more than a "+1" post and utterly pointless, thus the ruling. Really long expository posts with no added content are particularly egregious. Sometimes I'll simply delete the post, but if the player has a history of such posts, they get a warning.

Spam is in the eye of the beholder. I'll leave this open for other mod opinions.

Return to Moderation