NATION

PASSWORD

I need some thread advice (cool for non-mods to post)

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

I need some thread advice (cool for non-mods to post)

Postby Call to power » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:54 am

This is both a copyright and homework question so I hope you have your pants on.

I'm looking on utilizing the forum in my revision as a kind of group discussion in order to flesh out ideas and argue, in my current understanding this is fine but what I would like to do is post some source data (newspaper extracts) along with the questions posed by my course.

Naturally I will post my own detailed answers and will avoid making it a QA session but by posting such questions I worry that I will violate copyright on my education and risk the almighty ban-hammer. Do you guys have any insight into such a matters as I'm very unsure and google seems to think I'm a teacher looking for interactive learning games
Last edited by Call to power on Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

Greater Stolichnaya
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Stolichnaya » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:51 pm

newspaper extracts

That would be free material. There aren't any disclaimers stopping you from using it, and you don't sign any waivers saying that you won't copy/paste or cite these sources. Newspaper articles are extremely common resources anyway, ranging from use in projects, research, speeches and essays.

questions posed by my course

It's perfectly fine. I quote the website for the U.S. Copyright Office when I say fair use is under the agreement that "The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes." It seems you're covered by this rule. Quoting textbooks for nonprofit/educational use is allowed by the law, and in fact, protected.

Whether or not it's considered homework help is up to a higher authority on this site.
"Mental disorders ARE physical. Your brain physically exists. Well...okay...brains physically exist." - The Norwegian Blue

"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly." - Captain Jack Sparrow

"I play Peter Griffin, a heroic warrior who defied the English to free England from the English." - Peter Griffin

Return to Moderation