NATION

PASSWORD

Write an NS News post!

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu May 12, 2016 2:22 pm

Sure.

Aksun
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aksun » Fri May 13, 2016 1:48 am

I could start an article about the WA Secretary General (for the actual title) April fools day thing. Is that what you're looking for sedg?

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri May 13, 2016 2:10 am

Yup.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Fri May 13, 2016 9:42 am

Hm, what about articles for gameplay events open to everyone but hosted offsite, such as the NS World's Fair, or Other "convention" type events. I'd guess that's somewhere between "too specific" and "not going to advertise an offsite venue," but figured it was worth asking.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri May 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Those could potentially work, depending on the event. The NS World Fair certainly sounds like one that could.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri May 13, 2016 4:49 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Sure.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I will start drafting the article on 23 May at the latest, which is after I submit my university work. I appreciate everyone's patience.

-- Minoa.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Thu May 26, 2016 12:04 pm

Hola,

As promised, I have drafted a news post even though this is not a one-day task: I present this draft in public for consultation:

WikiWiki…Wiki!

This post comes courtesy of Minoa, who created NSindex in 2013 in response to the spamming issues on the old NSwiki.

Twelve years ago, on 11th October 2004, SalusaSecondus wrote a news post that promoted Goobergunchia’s NSwiki.net, an unofficial Wikipedia-style encyclopaedia about the world of NationStates.

Sadly, NSwiki.net folded without warning on 8th November 2013, having suffering serious spamming attacks throughout that year, and the fate of the articles are unclear, presumed lost (according to Todd McCloud on 29th July 2014).

Nevertheless, the NationStates wiki community has prevailed even though NationStates has provided a Factbook and Dispatches feature since 4th June 2012: this is largely because of the scope and extensibility of the MediaWiki software, which allows contributors to do amazing things like automate infoboxes and exchange rates, as well as the enduring legacy of NSwiki.net and its successors.

In fact, there is now competition (just like what the European Commission wanted), with NationStates players now having a choice of three well-managed encyclopaedias that attempt to cover the world of NationStates in their own style. In alphabetical order:

IIWiki (founded by Solm) is dedicated to International Incidents (hence the name) and other roleplay, challenging its contributors to write articles strictly in-character without breaking the fourth wall. IIWiki is the oldest of the major NSwiki alternatives online, going online in November 2011 to fill the void left by the closure of WikiStates, and the lack of roleplay coverage on NSwiki.net.

NSindex (founded by Minoa) is another alternative to NSwiki, which has a much broader coverage of all aspects of NationStates. It has a more factual tone, aiming to be much closer to the style of English Wikipedia. Originally known as the NationStates Index, NSindex went online in February 2013 in response to the server and spamming issues that plagued NSwiki.net in its final days.

Finally, NSwiki is still on the Internet, but as NSwiki.org. Now under the care of Eluvatar, the second generation of NSwiki has been rebuilding itself since 2014 with new anti-spam measures, such as contributors now requiring a NationStates nation to contribute. Along with a new look, NSwiki.org also tries to cover every region that ever existed.
Last edited by Minoa on Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Net Neutrality Repeal News Post?

Postby Lockdownn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Because this would effect EVERYONE if passed (including NationStates) would it be possible to get the link below into a News Post form so people on this site can either spread the word or call their representatives/ the FCC?

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Here's a potential format:

Net Neutrality is a set of rules disallowing internet service providers from restricting what you see through paid subscriptions, complete blocks, and/or service throttling. This set of rules has a final vote to determine if they will be staying in place on December 14th. If you value your ability to click on any site on the internet without having to pay for a subscription (like you have to cable), deal with throttled service (horrible connection to your favorite news site?) or complete website blockage (ahem: North Korea, Myanmar, Cuba, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Russia,China, Syria, Tunisia, Vietnam, Turkmenistan and possibly more.), then please join the battle: https://www.battleforthenet.com/ This will effect EVERYONE if passed.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:39 pm

Would it be possible to get a response given this vote will be taking place in a weeks time?

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:36 pm

This has three days left till vote. I hope I can get a response as this should be important to all of us who value the current state of our internet.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:29 pm

Thanks but this will not be a News item.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 pm

[violet] wrote:Thanks but this will not be a News item.

Thank you for the response, but may I ask why?

Todds Diplomat
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Todds Diplomat » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:39 am

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Todds Diplomat wrote:Hello - may this be a news post?

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=937229

Unfortunately we're no longer able to officially promote off-site forums and chat servers, since we can't control what happens there. There's no problem with you creating links, but we won't post them on the News page in a way that might give someone the impression that they've been formally vetted or endorsed.

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:32 am

[violet] wrote:
Todds Diplomat wrote:Hello - may this be a news post?

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=937229

Unfortunately we're no longer able to officially promote off-site forums and chat servers, since we can't control what happens there. There's no problem with you creating links, but we won't post them on the News page in a way that might give someone the impression that they've been formally vetted or endorsed.

Right choice, thank you.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical