NATION

PASSWORD

Improvements to the WA

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Dbrought
Minister

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Improvements to the WA

Postby Dbrought » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:13 pm

Now will start by making it clear that i honestly have not really thought about how this could be implemented exactly.

As most of us should know NS has a multitude of realms that players exist withing. For right now I would like to focus on the Rper population of NS in particular. There is an overwhelming number of people that Rp, who have divided themselves into the General PT, MT, PMT, FT settings. Even within these categories players have set up their own separate universes. Now what I think might be appropriate, given the fact that each of the realms have remained fairly separate as all cross tech Rp's that I know of have failed, I think that it should perhaps be made possible to establish either a separate, or sub council of the WA. I propose this because the WA seems sometimes to only apply to a MT setting, and I feel that given the wide ranges of how people play that this is a disservice to their creativity.

I do not know how exactly to implement this without becoming complicated. One possible idea that might work is to have each region be registered as one of the time tag settings (PT, MT, PMT, FT) and have every WA member in that region part of that WA Council. Or each individual nation can decide when joining the WA which one they want to be a part of, and have the ability to switch or join multiple as part of the nation settings.

These are just a few Ideas. I welcome anyone else to suggest other alternative ones and discuss if any of what i just said has any merits or concerns. Thanks
HT- "A universe without murder is like a Sunday breakfast without pancakes."
OMG- "my elite special forces Spetsnaz Bears will infiltrate the taxis of a nation to devour all of their urban upper-middle class, leading to massive financial collapse."

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:02 pm

I don't really see the point. Roleplayers, outside of WA roleplayers, don't really treat the WA a canon. Why should the WA change for a group that doesn't view it as legitimate enough to play a role in their stories?

Also, you'll likely be told that authors write for all tech levels, and these people won't see the point. Even though they're wrong, and the vast majority of resolutions are written from an MT perspective, and even from a real-world global political perspective, although U.S. politics creeps in a little too often for my tastes.

Dbrought
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dbrought » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:24 pm

I don't really see the point. Roleplayers, outside of WA roleplayers, don't really treat the WA a canon. Why should the WA change for a group that doesn't view it as legitimate enough to play a role in their stories?

Because i would very much like for there to be a WA that Roleplayers can treat as cannon. Having the equivalent of a FT WA would then make the WA more applicable to a greater NS population, rather than just a region game mechanic. I think this would be a good thing.
OMG- "my elite special forces Spetsnaz Bears will infiltrate the taxis of a nation to devour all of their urban upper-middle class, leading to massive financial collapse."

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:36 am

Dbrought wrote:Because i would very much like for there to be a WA that Roleplayers can treat as cannon. Having the equivalent of a FT WA would then make the WA more applicable to a greater NS population, rather than just a region game mechanic. I think this would be a good thing.

I don't think tech levels are the reason why other roleplayers don't pay attention to the WA. It has more to do, I think, with the fact that the WA would limit what they can do, and that doesn't bode well with the idea of free-form roleplaying.

In my opinion, the World Assembly is, for the most part, MT because it's extremely difficult for different tech nations to interact on the levels we do in the WA. MT is the easiest tech level to roleplay, since we live in it in real life, so it would naturally be the tech level to which to gravitate. Some people try to mesh tech levels, but ultimately I just ignore or put in the back of my mind whatever makes them FT, like time travel or intergalactic empires -- or, if they're past-tech, I just label them as an undeveloped country.

Anyways, that's a little off the point. I doubt if you fragment the WA into different tech levels, it would bring more people to it. Tech levels never really seemed to be the problem.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:36 am

Dbrought wrote:

Because i would very much like for there to be a WA that Roleplayers can treat as cannon.

What's stopping them from treating it as canon now?

Dbrought
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dbrought » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:25 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
Dbrought wrote:Because i would very much like for there to be a WA that Roleplayers can treat as cannon.

What's stopping them from treating it as canon now?

Well I always felt that the reason it was not treated as cannon was that it was too general to apply to the myriad of different realms that the Rpers exist in. FT specifically would care very little about nuclear testing, when nukes have become fairly standard armament and child's play when compared to relativistic weapons or giant super lasers.

Urgench
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:51 pm

Dbrought wrote:
Flibbleites wrote:What's stopping them from treating it as canon now?

Well I always felt that the reason it was not treated as cannon was that it was too general to apply to the myriad of different realms that the Rpers exist in. FT specifically would care very little about nuclear testing, when nukes have become fairly standard armament and child's play when compared to relativistic weapons or giant super lasers.

The majority of WA resolutions have no bearing on technology level and are not influenced by it. Take a look at the full list of resolutions, those dealing with issues which have a bearing on technology are fairly few and far between. You might also be surprised to know that a huge array of different kinds of nations write and rp in the WA, of various technological levels of development.

IIers generally don't recognise the WA because it restricts what they might otherwise want to get up to, Ethnic cleansing, Genocide, Slavery etc. Not because of any technological bias.
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Dbrought
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dbrought » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:35 pm

I see now that my original plan was in fact my attempt at the lazy way of creating a FT galactic council thread. I will now get off my lazy bum and create this thread if need be. Thanks for your comments, but this issue is now resolved.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical