NATION

PASSWORD

Error Reports?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Error Reports?

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:19 pm

Not sure if this is the place to report such a thing, but all day I've been having trouble with accessing the forum. It's been very laggy, or sometimes the connection timed out. I've gotten a number of error reports too.

Now I've not been having trouble accessing any other part of the site, it has been slightly slow but nothing out of the ordinary, and my internet is just as quick as it usually is accessing any other site on the net.

So basically, this is the technical forum, so I figured I'd just let you know I've been running into a few problems. Not sure if it's been affecting other users.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Rambhutan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 28, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rambhutan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:48 am

I have been getting errors meaning I cannot access the site, everyday between 6 and 7 (UK time) for the last few days.

EDIT - Just got the Internal Server Error at 8.35pm, second time tonight
Last edited by Rambhutan on Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are we there yet?

Overherelandistan wrote: I chalange you to find a better one that isnt even worse

North Mack
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby North Mack » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:14 pm

That happens when there's a lot of traffic on the forum all at once, and the server either doesn't reply at all or too slow for your browser to accept.

Best thing to do when you get 500 Internal Server Errors or the like (403 Forbidden, 404 Not Found etc) is wait a half hour or so, then try again.
T H E S T E L L A R R E P U B L I C O F N O R T H M A C K
Forged in Fire, Reforged in Blood
[ DeviantArt | NS FT Discord | The Local Cluster | FT Advice and Assistance Thread | The State of the Galaxy ]

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:25 pm

I wonder if the load problems are because of the server or the forum software?

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:50 pm

North Mack wrote:That happens when there's a lot of traffic on the forum all at once, and the server either doesn't reply at all or too slow for your browser to accept.

Best thing to do when you get 500 Internal Server Errors or the like (403 Forbidden, 404 Not Found etc) is wait a half hour or so, then try again.

Well I've always used Mozilla and at least twice, before and after I got an Error Report, there were less than 80 people on. The server can handle far more, as I'm sure you know.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

North Mack
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby North Mack » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
North Mack wrote:That happens when there's a lot of traffic on the forum all at once, and the server either doesn't reply at all or too slow for your browser to accept.

Well I've always used Mozilla and at least twice, before and after I got an Error Report, there were less than 80 people on. The server can handle far more, as I'm sure you know.

Amount of people online doesn't necessarily have anything to do with load amount. At the very bottom of the page it has a line like this.

Time : 0.064s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off | Load : 2.45

The load and queries are what really matter when it comes to server load. Plus, I am assuming that NS purchases hosting from a company rather then has their own servers sitting in say, reppys basement. So that means that if other people on other sites hosted from the same server are very active, the server can be bogged down for us, even though not many people on NS are using the forums.
Last edited by North Mack on Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T H E S T E L L A R R E P U B L I C O F N O R T H M A C K
Forged in Fire, Reforged in Blood
[ DeviantArt | NS FT Discord | The Local Cluster | FT Advice and Assistance Thread | The State of the Galaxy ]

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:19 am

Rambhutan wrote:I have been getting errors meaning I cannot access the site, everyday between 6 and 7 (UK time) for the last few days.

And you're not the only one...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am

They've been less prevelent, but they're still happening much more frequently than they were since a few months ago.

I'm assuming that now, with people back at school, college etc., they're all going on the internet around the same time - after school/college and after homework or w/e.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Kalibarr
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalibarr » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:15 am

I've had problems too, I assumed it's just because so many people are online at once.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:51 pm

Yes, the forum has been getting pretty big and we're bumping up against capacity again.

Usual People In Life
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2009

Postby Usual People In Life » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:12 am

The best thing I would possibly say is try to keep your own contribution to the load down whilst its busy time...
When is a nation not a nation? When it's a region!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical