NATION

PASSWORD

Revolutionizing NationStates

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:47 pm

Chyeknovostan Republic wrote:How bout advertizing NS ON Facebook, but dont make it part or like facebook, just advertize it there...

Costs money?
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

Chyeknovostan Republic
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chyeknovostan Republic » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:48 pm

I think itd be cool to have an option where you could design your own Tanks and Troops etc. and certain things would be unlocked as the population increased, and other NS users could come and see your army...something like Pimp-my-gun...
Chyekish Soviet Union

Augarundus
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:50 pm

Chyeknovostan Republic wrote:I think itd be cool to have an option where you could design your own Tanks and Troops etc. and certain things would be unlocked as the population increased, and other NS users could come and see your army...something like Pimp-my-gun...

1) It's called GIMP. Or paint.net. Or MSpaint. That along with photobucket... you CAN design your own stuff, upload it, and then put it on your factbook.

2) Why should you only be able to design a military when your population increases? Doesn't a nation created yesterday with 6 million residents require law enforcement?

3) Factbooks exist.
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

Chyeknovostan Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chyeknovostan Republic » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:51 pm

ad another option where you could design your Capital city, like lower the pop. limit for it, then you could get buildings for it as your pop increased, like a library at 100million...and other nations could see your capital...
Chyekish Soviet Union

Augarundus
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:52 pm

This wouldn't revolutionize much of anything.

It'd be a new way to look at the current system that will take a while for people to get used to (plus a few bells and whistles that will confuse people). It doesn't change the reality of the game, and, where the in-character is strongest (factbooks and information and regional RP's) doesn't need improvement (save my suggestion, maybe, about the forums. But, that may be a technical difficulty, even then).

Chyeknovostan Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chyeknovostan Republic » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Augarundus wrote:
Chyeknovostan Republic wrote:I think itd be cool to have an option where you could design your own Tanks and Troops etc. and certain things would be unlocked as the population increased, and other NS users could come and see your army...something like Pimp-my-gun...

1) It's called GIMP. Or paint.net. Or MSpaint. That along with photobucket... you CAN design your own stuff, upload it, and then put it on your factbook.

2) Why should you only be able to design a military when your population increases? Doesn't a nation created yesterday with 6 million residents require law enforcement?

3) Factbooks exist.

Im just brainstorming... if were loosing people then we need something new...I like playing Nationstates all the time, I dont ever want to see it die someday...thatd suck...Idk there just ideas
Chyekish Soviet Union

Goroslavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Goroslavia » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:56 pm

i know that this has been brought up millions of times but why doesnt NS have war i mean that might make it more popular and i dont mean thread based wars
Last edited by Goroslavia on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member and lover of Judea
Proud member of SNOM
Fact book http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66476
"May the plague and her angels fall upon us we are ready!"
Goroslavia stands on the brink of the largest conflict ever known to man. We shall not back down rather we shall meet this great war with sword in hand. And if Goroslavia does perish she only ask that it be known of her loyalty.

Mediterreania
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mediterreania » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:56 pm

Augarundus wrote:This wouldn't revolutionize much of anything.

It'd be a new way to look at the current system that will take a while for people to get used to (plus a few bells and whistles that will confuse people). It doesn't change the reality of the game, and, where the in-character is strongest (factbooks and information and regional RP's) doesn't need improvement (save my suggestion, maybe, about the forums. But, that may be a technical difficulty, even then).

I actually have an idea for NS3 that would include a world map, complete with cities, resources and military. However, a lot of the NS community wouldn't like the idea due it replacing most IC posts. I would probably have to market it as a modern version of Tribal Wars, or a realistic version of CyberNations.
Quick and dirty guide to factions in Mediterranea, and puppets to serve as examples:
-Free Assembly - decentralized group of local associations. Main faction.
-Workers' Republic - anarcho-syndicalist commune
-República Morsica (Betico)
-Republic of Lusca
-Catholic State (The Archbishop of Siraucsa)

Goroslavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Goroslavia » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:57 pm

Mediterreania wrote:

I actually have an idea for NS3 that would include a world map, complete with cities, resources and military. However, a lot of the NS community wouldn't like the idea due it replacing most IC posts. I would probably have to market it as a modern version of Tribal Wars, or a realistic version of CyberNations.

i would join
Proud member of SNOM
Goroslavia stands on the brink of the largest conflict ever known to man. We shall not back down rather we shall meet this great war with sword in hand. And if Goroslavia does perish she only ask that it be known of her loyalty.

Cyrodil Minor
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrodil Minor » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:57 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:If I wanted Facebook, I'd be on Facebook right now. Instead, I'm here.

I like the fact that NS expects people to put some effort into communicating. It keeps the idiots out.

Here's an honest answer from a more experienced player...with a different nation...

That post above me just about summarizes everything. My entire business on NS is conducted off-site, my entire region does next to nothing on NS, maybe posting some jokes on the RMB or communicating via TG. In the past year and a half we've probably had 3 Regional RP's posted on teh NS forums and have never participated on II.

Why? Because people are so bent on the fact that they are better than others, that's a ridiculous attitude to have, "It keeps the idiots out", so that means I can call you an idiot, I don't know you and you don't know the "idiots".

Back to the point, NS is more "inactive" (I don't pay attention and nor do I care, I am just taking the statements others have made making a hypothesis) , this is because most of us when we finally realized the issues with II were so fed up with it that we joined passworded regions and never looked at II again. Nationstates itself doesn't need to be revolutionized, it's the people that do.

East Klent
Minister

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby East Klent » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:57 pm

The Wandering Bard wrote:...... the rate of decline in interest within the NS Universe.....

The rate of decline in interest within the NS Universe would increase if NationStates becomes NationBook, or FaceStates, or whatever you would like to call your proposal.
Last edited by East Klent on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC: The United Republic of Klent, URK, or the United Klentian Republic. Canon Project
Defcon:1 2 3 4 (On Alert) 5

TNN: 6/30/15
The CKDA goes to Congress for ratification and the administration prepares for talks in Batavia.

NEKSE ▲39.63 |NKTSE ▲25.03|GDIE ▲8.45

Chyeknovostan Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chyeknovostan Republic » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:00 pm

East Klent wrote:
The Wandering Bard wrote:...... the rate of decline in interest within the NS Universe.....

The rate of decline in interest within the NS Universe would increase if NationStates becomes NationBook, or FaceStates, or whatever you would like to call your proposal.

It would ruin the game putting it on facebook, I hate facebook so much, its a worthless thing...something NS should stay independent from
Chyekish Soviet Union

Augarundus
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:02 pm

Goroslavia wrote:i know that this has been brought up millions of times but why doesnt NS have war i mean that might make it more popular and i dont mean thread based wars

Because, it's a game based off of writing, not direct coded input and output.

It's based on storyline development, not manipulation of a few codes and numbers. That's Cybernations, which is fun, but different. And if you want to play Cybernations (I used to, then I joined NS when I got bored) then alright... but there's a difference, and that difference is good.

NS doesn't need to imitate Cybernations: they aim to accomplish two different things. Imagination (NS) and Gaming Skill (CN).

NS doesn't need to change now: if there's a decline in membership... so what? The point of the game isn't to cobble together the largest amount of players possible. The point is to offer the best experience at what NS was intended to do: writing and storylines.

Cybernations is meant as a game; NS is a story.

Cyrodil Minor
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrodil Minor » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:04 pm

Augarundus wrote: Snip

That too.

Goroslavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Goroslavia » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:05 pm

Augarundus wrote:
Goroslavia wrote:i know that this has been brought up millions of times but why doesnt NS have war i mean that might make it more popular and i dont mean thread based wars

Because, it's a game based off of writing, not direct coded input and output.

It's based on storyline development, not manipulation of a few codes and numbers. That's Cybernations, which is fun, but different. And if you want to play Cybernations (I used to, then I joined NS when I got bored) then alright... but there's a difference, and that difference is good.

NS doesn't need to imitate Cybernations: they aim to accomplish two different things. Imagination (NS) and Gaming Skill (CN).

NS doesn't need to change now: if there's a decline in membership... so what? The point of the game isn't to cobble together the largest amount of players possible. The point is to offer the best experience at what NS was intended to do: writing and storylines.

Cybernations is meant as a game; NS is a story.

that was quite philosophical i truly think your right i played cybernations and got really bored but our of the time i have been with NS i have never gotten bored
Proud member of SNOM

Orwyn
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orwyn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:07 pm

If you want Facebook and Nation States this is the best you'll get.
Sister Nation: Demagan Empire
Necron Empire:Orwyn, Demagan Empire, Necratalis, Voryn, The Alterran Empire
Together we stand. United we fall

Mediterreania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mediterreania » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:09 pm

Goroslavia wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:

i would join

The player would start off with one city, holding 5 million citizens. It would grow at 1.5% per week/month, and max out at 25 million. They could then found new cities, which each start off with 1 million and max out at the same amount. The population required to unlock customizable fields would be much lower, and issue submission would be time-based.
Based on the population and economy, each city would have a certain amount of production at its disposal. In addition, buildings and units would require three resources (food, energy/oil and metals), extracted from resource bases on the map. You could militarily capture any city or resource base except the capital. Attacking one person would declare war on their entire region.
Quick and dirty guide to factions in Mediterranea, and puppets to serve as examples:
-Republic of Lusca

Goroslavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Goroslavia » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:11 pm

Mediterreania wrote:
Goroslavia wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:

i would join

The player would start off with one city, holding 5 million citizens. It would grow at 1.5% per week/month, and max out at 25 million. They could then found new cities, which each start off with 1 million and max out at the same amount. The population required to unlock customizable fields would be much lower, and issue submission would be time-based.
Based on the population and economy, each city would have a certain amount of production at its disposal. In addition, buildings and units would require three resources (food, energy/oil and metals), extracted from resource bases on the map. You could militarily capture any city or resource base except the capital. Attacking one person would declare war on their entire region.

i will not steal those ideas. They are quite good however i would add the ability to create vassals out of conquered players with only there capital left
Proud member of SNOM

Augarundus
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:20 pm

Mediterreania wrote:Attacking one person would declare war on their entire region.

ICly, region =/= alliance.

Therefore, I am not defending my enemies in my region...

Mediterreania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mediterreania » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:21 pm

Goroslavia wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:
Goroslavia wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:

i would join

i will not steal those ideas. They are quite good however i would add the ability to create vassals out of conquered players with only there capital left

The thing is, I want the playing field to be even between warmongers and pacifists. Hence the "whole region war" thing.
Maybe you can't take a city with over 10 million pop. However, you automatically occupy that city. Once you occupy every city but the capital, you can declare a player your vassal. You automatically take 5% of their production and resources.
The ground units would be: Militia (good anti-armor defense), GI (good anti-infantry defense), Marine (good attack), IFV (good anti-infantry defense), Helicopter (good attack) and SAM (can also fight air units). AIr units would be FIghter (good air-to-air), Strike Fighter (good anti-ground), Bomber (can damage production and population) and Naval Fighter (can launch from aircraft carriers). The naval units would be Aircraft Carrier (can host naval fighters), Submarine (invisible to most units), Destroyer (can see submarines) and Missile Cruisers (same effect as bombers). All naval units can see units in adjacent squares, and cruisers can see in the surrounding 5x5.
-Republic of Lusca

Mediterreania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mediterreania » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:22 pm

Augarundus wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:Attacking one person would declare war on their entire region.

ICly, region =/= alliance.

Therefore, I am not defending my enemies in my region...

YOU HATH VIOLATED THY HOLY SPOILER! ;)
But in NS3, regions would be alliances.
-Republic of Lusca

Goroslavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Goroslavia » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:23 pm

Mediterreania wrote:
Goroslavia wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:
Goroslavia wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:

i would join

The thing is, I want the playing field to be even between warmongers and pacifists. Hence the "whole region war" thing.
Maybe you can't take a city with over 10 million pop. However, you automatically occupy that city. Once you occupy every city but the capital, you can declare a player your vassal. You automatically take 5% of their production and resources.
The ground units would be: Militia (good anti-armor defense), GI (good anti-infantry defense), Marine (good attack), IFV (good anti-infantry defense), Helicopter (good attack) and SAM (can also fight air units). AIr units would be FIghter (good air-to-air), Strike Fighter (good anti-ground), Bomber (can damage production and population) and Naval Fighter (can launch from aircraft carriers). The naval units would be Aircraft Carrier (can host naval fighters), Submarine (invisible to most units), Destroyer (can see submarines) and Missile Cruisers (same effect as bombers). All naval units can see units in adjacent squares, and cruisers can see in the surrounding 5x5.

reminds me of Advanced wars which i loved
Proud member of SNOM

Mediterreania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mediterreania » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:24 pm

Goroslavia wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:
Goroslavia wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:
Goroslavia wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:

i would join

Never heard of it. I got my ideas from that game I mentioned earlier, Tribal Wars.
-Republic of Lusca

Goroslavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Goroslavia » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Mediterreania wrote:
Goroslavia wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:
Goroslavia wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:
Goroslavia wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:

i would join

Never heard of it. I got my ideas from that game I mentioned earlier, Tribal Wars.

well tribal wars takes forever to expand and build its annoying
Proud member of SNOM

Augarundus
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:29 pm

If reforms are going to take place to make the game more interactive, they should do so on the CYBERNATIONS site; that is devoted not to writing, but to actual gameplay (... that game could use something in the real time to benefit the nations... fricken' boring).

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical