NATION

PASSWORD

Flags

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
City of Norfolk
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Flags

Postby City of Norfolk » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:01 pm

I find it strange. When I try to upload a new flag, I always get the Error message, however the picture is very small. Yet I see nations with HUGE flags on their nations.

Any ideas on how I can get a picture to be a decent size on my nation page?

Member of NEMA
Star Alliance Member
Member of the Western Coalition
Member of SCUTUM
Member of GDF
Member of the Commonwealth of Sovereign Nations
Member of League of the Entente
Currently holds 60 Nuclear Warheads
-
“The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary, self-appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny”---James Madison

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Flags

Postby Unibot » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 pm

Try saving the picture with a PNG format using a graphic program like Photoshop or Paint.net or something.

Hope that helps!

City of Norfolk
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby City of Norfolk » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:48 pm

DOesnt seem to work :(
apparently this is too big-

Member of NEMA
Star Alliance Member
Member of SCUTUM
Member of GDF
-
“The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary, self-appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny”---James Madison

Naivetry
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:30 pm

Yep, too big. It's the file size that counts, not the dimensions. Try downloading and using this version.

City of Norfolk
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby City of Norfolk » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:44 pm

Thank you for helping find a right size for that picture.

However I was wondering if I could find a way to make the picture actually bigger
about the size of this nation's flag- http://www.nationstates.net/nation=marxist_motherland

Member of NEMA
Star Alliance Member
Member of SCUTUM
Member of GDF
-

Naivetry
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:01 pm

City of Norfolk wrote:Thank you for helping find a right size for that picture.

However I was wondering if I could find a way to make the picture actually bigger
about the size of this nation's flag- http://www.nationstates.net/nation=marxist_motherland

I can't make it much bigger; the picture is too complex.

Best I can do: Image

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:38 am

You may want to try a different file extension. Some image extensions are larger than others. I prefer .png because it's less of a hog than a .jpg. Also, I noticed you're using .gif. You may want to try with .png. I was able to have a larger flag by using a different file extension. Also, it does help if the image is not complex as well.
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:59 am

Kryozerkia wrote:You may want to try a different file extension. Some image extensions are larger than others. I prefer .png because it's less of a hog than a .jpg. Also, I noticed you're using .gif. You may want to try with .png. I was able to have a larger flag by using a different file extension. Also, it does help if the image is not complex as well.

I agree about using .png: To me, it seems to give a better visual quality than .gif does, in addition to any benefit in terms of size possible...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Pythagosaurus
Cute Purple Dinosaur

Founded: Nov 24, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Pythagosaurus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:18 am

It depends on the type of image. My flag was too large as a png but is about 2.3KB as a jpeg. The difference is that mine is a photograph, so it has a very large number of different colors in it. However, if your flag is something you made yourself without a fancy rendering program, png is probably best (except I think IE6 doesn't support it).

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:22 am

Pythagosaurus wrote:(except I think IE6 doesn't support it).

As far as I know, IE6 simply doesn't support transparency in PNGs. So, if you want transparency in your flag, for some odd reason, it'll only display correctly in Firefox/Opera/etc.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical