NATION

PASSWORD

[SUGGESTION] Bump Function for the Forums

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
The Orwell Society
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

[SUGGESTION] Bump Function for the Forums

Postby The Orwell Society » Sun May 15, 2022 4:58 pm

/bump
/bump
/bump

It gets annoying sometimes, doesn't it? On both sides, too. First, the OP, who has to clutter his/her thread with five character posts just to get it known and to garner some interest. Second, to the mods. A common type of spam is bumpspam, where a person excessively "bumps" a thread to keep it high on the display order. Now, even I am guilty of that crime on one or more occasions.

What I propose (hopefully to be item 8,768,998 on the admin's to-do list… maybe I can crack the 8,768,900th position if this gets some support…) is a bump function for the forums allowing a user to "bump" a forum up the display order without having to clutter their beautiful, organized RP thread with bumpSPAM™. It could be a nice, pretty grey button near the reply button. It would also be only accessible to the original poster of the thread.

But how is this useful? You see, with a time limit for how many bumps you can bump a day (once every eight to twelve hours would be sufficient). This would eliminate the need for bumps, and, after declaring all traditional "/bump"s as official, reportable spam, would, over time, eliminate bumpspam alltogether. And now our roleplay threads could look all nice and orderly! What could possible go wrong?

So, fellow NS-obsessed nerds lurking in the Technical forum (and mods), what do you think?
Last edited by The Orwell Society on Sun May 15, 2022 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Orwell Society
Straight Male | Political Alignment: Centrist leaning conservative | NSGP Alignment: Independent | Proud Wellspringer, join The Wellspring today!

A vision without action is just a daydream

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Sun May 15, 2022 5:39 pm

That sounds like it would be terribly abused.

Website
Civilian

Founded: Apr 05, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Website » Sun May 15, 2022 5:41 pm

I concur with the above person

The Orwell Society
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Sun May 15, 2022 5:42 pm

Comfed wrote:That sounds like it would be terribly abused.

No. I said it should have a time limit of 8-12 hours between each bump. That way, it can't be abused
The Orwell Society
Straight Male | Political Alignment: Centrist leaning conservative | NSGP Alignment: Independent | Proud Wellspringer, join The Wellspring today!

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Sun May 15, 2022 5:42 pm

Why tho?

I don't see how this is a problem that needs a solution.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Sun May 15, 2022 5:42 pm

The Orwell Society wrote:
Comfed wrote:That sounds like it would be terribly abused.

No. I said it should have a time limit of 8-12 hours between each bump. That way, it can't be abused

I really should learn to read more carefully >.>

The Orwell Society
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Sun May 15, 2022 5:44 pm

Gandoor wrote:Why tho?

I don't see how this is a problem that needs a solution.

It would solve some minor problems, like bumpspam and bump clutter. Overall, it would just be very convenient
The Orwell Society

Haganham
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Haganham » Sun May 15, 2022 5:53 pm

A user, as in any user?
Imagine reading a signature, but over the course of it the quality seems to deteriorate and it gets wose an wose, where the swenetence stwucture and gwammer rewerts to a pwoint of uttew non swence, an u jus dont wanna wead it anymwore (o´ω`o) awd twa wol owdewl iws jus awfwul (´・ω・`);. bwt tw sinawtur iwswnwt obwer nyet, it gwos own an own an own an own. uwu wanyaa stwop weadwing bwut uwu cwant stop wewding, uwu stwartd thwis awnd ur gwoing two fwinibsh it nowo mwattew wat! uwu hab mwoxie kwiddowo, bwut uwu wibl gwib ub sowon. i cwan wite wike dis fwor owors, swo dwont cwalengbe mii..

… wbats dis??? uwu awe stwill weedinb mwie sinatwr?? uwu habe awot ob detewemwinyanyatiom!! 。◕‿◕。! u habve comopweedid tha signwtr, good job!

The Orwell Society
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Sun May 15, 2022 6:06 pm

Haganham wrote:A user, as in any user?

Only the OP (original poster) can bump a thread. Read again, I thought of that, too :p
The Orwell Society

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun May 15, 2022 6:20 pm

This functionality is not available on our current package. We're no longer adding custom code to the forums. Not gonna happen, so not much point in developing specifics.

The Orwell Society
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Sun May 15, 2022 6:23 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:This functionality is not available on our current package. We're no longer adding custom code to the forums. Not gonna happen, so not much point in developing specifics.

Oh. So the forums can't take any more code?
The Orwell Society

Bormiar
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bormiar » Sun May 15, 2022 7:43 pm

The Orwell Society wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:This functionality is not available on our current package. We're no longer adding custom code to the forums. Not gonna happen, so not much point in developing specifics.

Oh. So the forums can't take any more code?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=506776

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical